Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I was suprised he got 300 mil over 10 years. I expected the 30 mil a year but not over that long a period.

Largest free agent contract in history of MLB! Crazy! And apparently the White Sox offered him more, but not all guaranteed. He wanted guaranteed money.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I was suprised he got 300 mil over 10 years. I expected the 30 mil a year but not over that long a period.

That contract is crazy -- 10 years! at $30 million per year. SMH.

The Padres may be building something really good. They have something 7 prospects in the top 50 and 10 in the top 100. I would be very optimistic about the future if I was a Padres fan -- not because of Machado, but because they have a lot of young stars in their farm. 

With Baseball right around the corner, here is some history to look back on.

-The 1st WS played was in 1903. Since 1903 here are the facts:

Top 3 Franchises/Teams with the most WS wins

1. New York Yankees - 27

2. St Louis Cardinals - 11

3. Boston Red Sox - 9

Last 3 Franchises/Teams to win the WS

2016 - Chicago Cubs :strong: my best BBall moment ever!

2017 - Houston Astros

2018 - Boston Red Sox

-All-Time Home Run leader = Barry Bonds 762

-All-Time Hits leader = Pete Rose 4,256

-All-Time Batting Avg leader = Ty Cobb .366

-All-Time Stolen Base leader = Rickey Henderson 1,406

-All-Time most Pitching Wins = Cy Young 511

-All-Time most Saves = Mariano Rivera 652

PLAY BALL! 

13 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Yes didn't  think anyone would be that ignorant to tie up that much in a 10 year. IMO there are just way to many things to go wrong and the effect could be crippling to some franchises for a very long time. Not real smart , does this make the Padres better ? Of course it does. Does it make them a contender ? Probably not . Does it draw some fans ? Probably some. Is it worth it ? No . Being a Cards fan I would've been livid if they had done this. I can see a 5 or possibly 6 year , but I'm no fan of this kind of deal . Its not in the best interest of the game IMO.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Baseball right around the corner, here is some history to look back on.

-The 1st WS played was in 1903. Since 1903 here are the facts:

Top 3 Franchises/Teams with the most WS wins

1. New York Yankees - 27

2. St Louis Cardinals - 11

3. Boston Red Sox - 9

Last 3 Franchises/Teams to win the WS

2016 - Chicago Cubs :strong: my best BBall moment ever!

2017 - Houston Astros

2018 - Boston Red Sox

-All-Time Home Run leader = Barry Bonds 762

-All-Time Hits leader = Pete Rose 4,256

-All-Time Batting Avg leader = Ty Cobb .366

-All-Time Stolen Base leader = Rickey Henderson 1,406

-All-Time most Pitching Wins = Cy Young 511

-All-Time most Saves = Mariano Rivera 652

PLAY BALL! 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, HOZER said:

Largest free agent contract in history of MLB! Crazy! And apparently the White Sox offered him more, but not all guaranteed. He wanted guaranteed money.

Idk if you had seen today, but the White Sox did not offer the opt out that Padres and I saw yesterday it was 250 guaranteed but could reach 350 if incentive was hit.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, NFLfan said:

That contract is crazy -- 10 years! at $30 million per year. SMH.

The Padres may be building something really good. They have something 7 prospects in the top 50 and 10 in the top 100. I would be very optimistic about the future if I was a Padres fan -- not because of Machado, but because they have a lot of young stars in their farm. 

That farm system should be what makes them win in a year or so I'd say. Also dont forget they signed Hosmer to that big deal last year so they got a lot of money on the books

13 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes didn't  think anyone would be that ignorant to tie up that much in a 10 year. IMO there are just way to many things to go wrong and the effect could be crippling to some franchises for a very long time. Not real smart , does this make the Padres better ? Of course it does. Does it make them a contender ? Probably not . Does it draw some fans ? Probably some. Is it worth it ? No . Being a Cards fan I would've been livid if they had done this. I can see a 5 or possibly 6 year , but I'm no fan of this kind of deal . Its not in the best interest of the game IMO.

I mean 5 year is the opt out which he most likely will take unless FA becomes terrible or he does, but remember he'll be 31 then and 26 at end still pretty young

6 hours ago, hippiejohn said:

Machado will be playing alot of games against the Giants. He will have plenty of opportunities to * off Madison Bumgarner. Even more than his normal * off. He will take Puig's place in Bumgarner's heart. Could be entertaining.

My moneys on Madison :spit:

22 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Being a Cards fan I would've been livid if they had done this. I can see a 5 or possibly 6 year , but I'm no fan of this kind of deal . Its not in the best interest of the game IMO

Same here. 5 year contract max -- they can renegotiate in year 3 or 4 if player is outperforming his contract. But that's it. I was not pleased when we re-signed Cespedes to that huge deal; others thought I was nuts. I did not like that the contract allowed him to opt out after the first year only to re-sign him for even more money. Now they are stuck with that salary for a player who is not contributing. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Same here. 5 year contract max -- they can renegotiate in year 3 or 4 if player is outperforming his contract. But that's it. I was not pleased when we re-signed Cespedes to that huge deal; others thought I was nuts. I did not like it that the contract allowed him to opt out after the first year to re-sign him for even more. Now they are stuck with that salary for a player who is not contributing. 

Yes gives you the feeling of being used , and not a thing you can do about it . Your hands are tied and it cripples your team progress.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes gives you the feeling of being used , and not a thing you can do about it . Your hands are tied and it cripples your team progress.

Lol. It seems even worse in football. Because of Kirk Cousins' ridiculous contract, we cannot re-sign some of our values players and will have to cut guys or trade veterans to get cap space. 

Ok. :rantoff: Back to baseball

@Jay Kirk

I did not realize that the Mets first ever game was against your Cardinals. At the 2 minute mark in that video, the late great Bob Murphy begins the broadcast and predicts the Cardinals to be a favorite to win the pennant. They announce the line-ups. Very cool. The Cardinals were stacked. We had Richie Ashburn leading off. 

@PrincetonTiger Gil Hodges was playing for the Mets then. I did not realize that either until I saw the line-up announcements.

Love baseball history. Glad I found that. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@Jay Kirk

I did not realize that the Mets first ever game was against your Cardinals. At the 2 minute mark in that video, the late great Bob Murphy begins the broadcast and predicts the Cardinals to be a favorite to win the pennant. They announce the line-ups. Very cool. The Cardinals were stacked. We had Richie Ashburn leading off. 

@PrincetonTiger Gil Hodges was playing for the Mets then. I did not realize that either until I saw the line-up announcements.

Love baseball history. Glad I found that. 

He wanted to return to NYC

Here is a list of the WS Champions from this decade (2010-2018) regarding who had the best W-L record in order:

1. 2018 Red Sox = 108-54

2. 2016 Cubs = 103-58 (played 161 games, 1 game canceled)

3. 2017 Astros = 101-61

4. 2013 Red Sox = 97-65

5. 2015 Royals = 95-67

6. 2012 Giants = 94-68

7. 2010 Giants = 92-70

8. 2011 Cardinals = 90-72

9. 2014 Giants = 88-74

- Only 1 more season to go (2019) and the decade is over. Who will be the next and final WS Champion of the decade?

Interesting fun facts from this decade so far:

+Giants have won the most WS with 3.

+Cubs ended their 108 yr drought by winning in 2016.

+There have been no Repeat Champions.

+Yankees have not won a WS.

+Dodgers have not won a WS.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a list of the WS Champions from this decade (2010-2018) regarding who had the best W-L record in order:

1. 2018 Red Sox = 108-54

2. 2016 Cubs = 103-58 (played 161 games, 1 game canceled)

3. 2017 Astros = 101-61

4. 2013 Red Sox = 97-65

5. 2015 Royals = 95-67

6. 2012 Giants = 94-68

7. 2010 Giants = 92-70

8. 2011 Cardinals = 90-72

9. 2014 Giants = 88-74

- Only 1 more season to go (2019) and the decade is over. Who will be the next and final WS Champion of the decade?

Interesting fun facts from this decade so far:

+Giants have won the most WS with 3.

+Cubs ended their 108 yr drought by winning in 2016.

+There have been no Repeat Champions.

+Yankees have not won a WS.

+Dodgers have not won a WS.

Mets have not won a World Series :(. Lol. It has been more than 3 decades since they did. 

Here are my early NL Picks for the season. Division winners and Wildcard teams:

NL East Champion = Braves at 92-70 #2 seed

NL Central Champion = Cards at 94-68 #1 seed

NL West Champion = Dodgers at 91-71 #3 seed

Wildcard teams = Cubs at 92-70, Brewers at 91-71

-A lot of parity there.

Phillies just signed Harper but I am still not sold on them winning the NL East. I have the Phillies missing the playoffs actually = 1 bold prediction, winning in the high 80's (around 88). Braves will win the NL East IMO. I still like the Dodgers to win the NL West. The NL Central will have 3 teams make the playoffs, my other bold prediction in the NL.

Mets will be an interesting team and could be a sleeper to make a playoff push if they get productive hitting. I can see them winning in the high 80's (87/88) if they get run support for deGrom and Thor. 

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-A lot of parity there.

Phillies just signed Harper but I am still not sold on them winning the NL East. I have the Phillies missing the playoffs actually = 1 bold prediction, winning in the high 80's (around 88). Braves will win the NL East IMO. I still like the Dodgers to win the NL West. The NL Central will have 3 teams make the playoffs, my other bold prediction in the NL.

Mets will be an interesting team and could be a sleeper to make a playoff push if they get productive hitting. I can see them winning in the high 80's (87/88) if they get run support for deGrom and Thor. 

Yeah I have the Cards winning the NL Central unfortunately but the Cubs will be in the playoffs. The moves the Cards have made this offseason can not be ignored. Cubs know they already have a playoff roster. With Bryant healthy now, and guys like Baez, Rizzo, Lester, and Hamels they are still loaded. Without adding anyone good in this offseason, a Division winning roster or Championship roster is questionable. I am still not sold on Yu Darvish giving us 13-15 wins. Cards added Goldschmidt and Miller + Carpenter, Molina, and Mikolas are still there. Brewers are good too and won the Division last year so the Division is tough.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are my early AL picks for the season. Division winners and Wildcard teams:

AL East Champion = Red Sox at 100-62 #2 seed

AL Central Champion = Indians at 88-74 #3 seed

AL West Champion = Astros at 101-61 #1 seed

Wildcard teams = Yankees at 96-66, A's at 92-70

I don't follow the AL enough but those sound ok. It seems that there is a good chance that the Indians may be knocked off the top of the division. Why did they let go of that great relief pitcher if they want to win. (The one the Cards signed. Can't recall his name. Miller?) A team intent on winning is not going to let go of that asset. Can Detroit or Minnesota beat them? Or even the White Sox?

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't follow the AL enough but those sound ok. It seems that there is a good chance that the Indians may be knocked off the top of the division. Why did they let go of that great relief pitcher if they want to win. (The one the Cards signed. Can't recall his name. Miller?) A team intent on winning is not going to let go of that asset. Can Detroit or Minnesota beat them? Or even the White Sox?

"Can Detroit or Minnesota beat them"? "Or even the White Sox"? I highly doubt it, those teams are not that good. The AL Central is the worst Division in Baseball. Indians are lucky to play in that Division.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:25 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-A lot of parity there.

I agree about the Cards. I love their moves. They made just a fee moves but those that complement the team. @Jay Kirk and @Myles must be excited. 

The Cubs still have that great nucleus of young players. I like them too. Having Hamels the whole year will be instrumental in winning a lot of games. What are you and @HOZER expecting from Yu? Lester, Hamels and Darvish can make for a potent pitching staff. Do you still have Kendricks? Who is the 5th starter? Do the Cubs have any new players that you expect to see get significant play this year?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree about the Cards. I love their moves. They made just a fee moves but those that complement the team. @Jay Kirk and @Myles must be excited. 

The Cubs still have that great nucleus of young players. I like them too. Having Hamels the whole year will be instrumental in winning a lot of games. What are you and @HOZER expecting from Yu? Lester, Hamels and Darvish can make for a potent pitching staff. Do you still have Kendricks? Who is the 5th starter? Do the Cubs have any new players that you expect to see get significant play this year?

Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Yu, and Quintana looks to be the rotation for now. Yu is a mystery, if we get good Yu than the Cubs can be really good, if we get injured Yu that gives us very little than we will be a Wildcard team for sure.

The young nucleus is still very good if not great if Bryant can stay healthy, and Baez and Rizzo are very good players. Bote is good as well. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The young nucleus is still very good if not great if Bryant can stay healthy, and Baez and Rizzo are very good players. Bote is good as well. 

What happened to Almora? Isn't he better than Bote and Happ? I love defense and he seems to play the outfield well. 

Your rotation is pretty good. The Mets are expecting deGrom, Thor, Wheeler, Matz and Vargas. Mets fans are not crazy about Vargas. He was not good last year. Many would like the Mets to sign a free agent pitcher. It seems like there are still a few good ones still unsigned (Kimbrel?, Bucholtz?, some others). I think we should go with Seth Lugo as the 5th but Mets like him as the long reliever/spot starter. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What happened to Almora? Isn't he better than Bote and Happ? I love defense and he seems to play the outfield well. 

Your rotation is pretty good. The Mets are expecting deGrom, Thor, Wheeler, Matz and Vargas. Mets fans are not crazy about Vargas. He was not good last year. Many would like the Mets to sign a free agent pitcher. It seems like there are still a few good ones still unsigned (Kimbrel?, Bucholtz?, some others). I think we should go with Seth Lugo as the 5th but Mets like him as the long reliever/spot starter. 

Yes Almora is better than Happ, add him in there.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:25 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-A lot of parity there.

Many writers are saying the Central is the best division in Baseball , so I wouldn't be one bit surprised. I think the Braves will fight the Phillies in the east . That one I wont predict. Other than that we are pretty much on the same page.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Many writers are saying the Central is the best division in Baseball , so I wouldn't be one bit surprised. I think the Braves will fight the Phillies in the east . That one I wont predict. Other than that we are pretty much on the same page.

The Phillies will be tough. They added several bats, including Harper. 

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I almost picked the Rockies to win the NL West, they are 1 team that has talent that I didn't mention.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

The Phillies will be tough. They added several bats, including Harper. 

They have McCutchen also , they have a decent team. We will see if they have the pitching.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I almost picked the Rockies to win the NL West, they are 1 team that has talent that I didn't mention.

Yes you cant overlook them.

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

They have McCutchen also , they have a decent team. We will see if they have the pitching.

Yes you cant overlook them.

There will be a lot of pressure on the Phillies now to succeed, maybe too much? The Braves to me look like a team that will only improve off of last season.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There will be a lot of pressure on the Phillies now to succeed, maybe too much? The Braves to me look like a team that will only improve off of last season.

I agree. I prefer how the Braves have built their team. Almost all the players are home-grown. 

Archived