Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

It seems like the Cards have won more. I swore they won a WS before 2006 but I think you're right. The Giants have won at least 3 since 1984, no?

Correct since I have been a Cubs fan = 1984, Cards have only won the WS in 2006 and 2011. Reds won one in 1990, Giants have won 3 = 2010, 2012, and 2014. Mets won the one in 1986 :thmup:, the Dodgers have only won 1 as well which was in 1988.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 2006Coltsbestever

    5760

  • NFLfan

    2258

  • Jay Kirk

    2230

  • PrincetonTiger

    1830

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know I still feel healthy, just working a lot. Hozer and I miss doing play by play of Cubs games on here and commenting on the games. Everything will be back to normal soon

As most of you know, I'm a Cardinals fan.  But you don't know that at one time I was a Cubs fan.  This was in the early 1980's while I was in college and got cable TV.  Our TV provider had WGN and sin

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Correct since I have been a Cubs fan = 1984, Cards have only won the WS in 2006 and 2011. Reds won one in 1990, Giants have won 3 = 2010, 2012, and 2014. Mets won the one in 1986 :thmup:, the Dodgers have only won 1 as well which was in 1988.

 

Remember the year that an earthquake struck just before the start of a World Series game? The A's were playing the Giants. I thought the Giants won that year but I believe the A's won. That was the only WS the A's would win of the 4 straight they went to. They lost to the Dodgers and Reds. I can't recall the last team they lost to. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Remember the year that an earthquake struck just before the start of a World Series game? The A's were playing the Giants. I thought the Giants won that year but I believe the A's won. That was the only WS the A's would win of the 4 straight they went to. They lost to the Dodgers and Reds. I can't recall the last team they lost to. 

A's only went 3 seasons in a row, lost to Dodgers in 1988, beat Giants in 1989, lost to Reds in 1990. In 1991, Twins beat Braves :thmup:. 1987 was Twins over Cards. Twins won 2 WS in that short span with Kirby Puckett! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A's only went 3 seasons in a row, lost to Dodgers in 1988, beat Giants in 1989, lost to Reds in 1990. In 1991, Twins beat Braves :thmup:. 1987 was Twins over Cards. Twins won 2 WS in that short span with Kirby Puckett! 

 

Lol. I thought they went to 4. haha That explains why I could not remember the fourth team. There was none. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know every WS Champion and who played in it since 1970 without looking it up. Shows you I have no life outside of working and sports :funny:

 

You have a great memory. I know someone who has this unbelievable memory and knows Mets history like no one else. I gave him my date of birth and he promptly told me that the Mets beat the Cubs that day. Lol.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, HOZER said:

I don’t give a :censored:about Joe Buck. :yuk:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:peek:

He is not his father that's for sure , absolutely loved his Dad regardless of what sport he was commentating .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Correct since I have been a Cubs fan = 1984, Cards have only won the WS in 2006 and 2011. Reds won one in 1990, Giants have won 3 = 2010, 2012, and 2014. Mets won the one in 1986 :thmup:, the Dodgers have only won 1 as well which was in 1988.

You go back two years the Cards won three , look over the years and see who has been to the series the most times , regardless of winning the series. Then look at playoff appearances that has to calculate as well . I would be surprised if the Cards were not #1 , I think if you use those matrix the Braves will be included as well. Just curious how they stack up. To me if you don't get to the playoffs is ultimate disappointment , once you make it let the chips fall , there are no guarantees only favorites.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

You go back two years the Cards won three , look over the years and see who has been to the series the most times , regardless of winning the series. Then look at playoff appearances that has to calculate as well . I would be surprised if the Cards were not #1 , I think if you use those matrix the Braves will be included as well. Just curious how they stack up. To me if you don't get to the playoffs is ultimate disappointment , once you make it let the chips fall , there are no guarantees only favorites.

Of course all-time the Cards have won way more WS than the Cubs. I was just going by since I have been a Cubs fan (1984), what teams won what. Cards did win it in 1982. :thmup:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1st WS played was in 1903. The Cubs have made the WS in 1906, 1907, 1908, 1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935, 1938, 1945, and of course 2016 = 11 times.

 

They have won the WS in 1907, 1908, and of course in 2016 = 3 times.

 

-They all count :banana: but because the Cubs hadn't made a WS since 1945 and hadn't won one since 1908 prior to 2016 nobody even mentions this, most people do not care. The game has evolved so much that most people I know, even older people in their 50's and 60's I know rarely talk about anything that happened before 1970. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1st WS played was in 1903. The Cubs have made the WS in 1906, 1907, 1908, 1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935, 1938, 1945, and of course 2016 = 11 times.

 

They have won the WS in 1907, 1908, and of course in 2016 = 3 times.

 

-They all count :banana: but because the Cubs hadn't made a WS since 1945 and hadn't won one since 1908 prior to 2016 nobody even mentions this, most people do not care. The game has evolved so much that most people I know, even older people in their 50's and 60's I know rarely talk about anything that happened before 1970. 

Lol some of these stars would not be back in the old pre 1970 era all the way back. A pitcher owned the outside of the plate. You ventured to close you would get knocked down or worse. Makes it much harder to hit. The mound was lowered robbing velocity and movement from the pitcher , if you go back to the old way some of these good but not aces , become aces.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jay KirkCardinals have won the WS in 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, and 2011 = 11 times. Very impressive. They have the 2nd most only behind the Yankees 27.

Yes they have , Lol I was talking just making playoffs since 1984 . I was wondering who leads that stat , was what I was getting at. The Braves have to be up there as well in the NL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes they have , Lol I was talking just making playoffs since 1984 . I was wondering who leads that stat , was what I was getting at. The Braves have to be up there as well in the NL

Oh yeah, since 1984 I think the Braves lead all teams with playoff appearances. The Cards have alot too and made the WS in 1985 and 1987 and in 2013 with wins in 2006 and 2011. You guys should count 1985 as a win but in the books it isn't. That was highway robbery.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol some of these stars would not be back in the old pre 1970 era all the way back. A pitcher owned the outside of the plate. You ventured to close you would get knocked down or worse. Makes it much harder to hit. The mound was lowered robbing velocity and movement from the pitcher , if you go back to the old way some of these good but not aces , become aces.

The hitters in the old era that could really hit are the ones who could hit the ball anywhere , there are a few of them in the game today , but I don't feel baseball players have changed that much. Stronger yes probably on the whole. But that being said it still doesn't change hand eye coordination.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, since 1984 I think the Braves lead all teams with playoff appearances. The Cards have alot too and made the WS in 1985 and 1987 and in 2013 with wins in 2006 and 2011. You guys should count 1985 as a win but in the books it isn't. That was highway robbery.

Lol don't remind me , took awhile to get over it.:lol:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol don't remind me , took awhile to get over it.:lol:

I was in highschool when that series took place and a friend of mine loved the Cards. He had his parents order him a 1985 Cardinals World Championship shirt and wore it a lot the rest of that year. Eventhough they lost, you could still order them from St Louis because of what happened.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was in highschool when that series took place and a friend of mine loved the Cards. He had his parents order him a 1985 Cardinals World Championship shirt and wore it a lot the rest of that year. Eventhough they lost, you could still order them from St Louis because of what happened.

I wouldn't have wore it because I know at that time bad calls were part of the game. Still are just not as much. Probably hung it on a wall.:thmup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Im ready for this season to get underway. Looking forward to it. Could be the last of NL old school baseball . I hope not , but it worries me, as well as strike talk. Not in MLB's best interest owners or players . 

The NL Central is going to be really good. I will be happy if the Cubs just make the playoffs. If they do make it, that will be 5 straight seasons.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NL Central is going to be really good. I will be happy if the Cubs just make the playoffs. If they do make it, that will be 5 straight seasons.

As I will be with Cards , I'm guessing neither of us will be disappointed there. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Over owners Harper and Machado , I'm not taking sides but Harper was offered 300 mil from Nats , Whos getting to greedy ?

It is hard to believe neither have been signed but 300 Mill is too much for Harper. I am not sure anyone else would pay him that except for the Nats? I thought maybe the Dodgers but I haven't heard anything lately that the Dodgers even want him now.

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

Well Brother must go to bed , have a great night . Really good chatting :thmup:

Take care brother, Baseball is right around the corner :banana:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Over owners Harper and Machado , I'm not taking sides but Harper was offered 300 mil from Nats , Whos getting to greedy ?

 

It is insane. How much does he want?!

 

I do wonder where Harper and Machado will eventually land. I would not mind a one-year deal for Machado (or Harper) for the Mets. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about Harper?

 

We have so many outfielders. I think we could use a different SS; that's why I mentioned Machado. Harper would be good too if he can be a good locker room guy.

 

I know almost nothing about Machado besides his stats. But I hear he can be a dirty player. I don't like that. But is he a good guy in the clibhouse?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

We have so many outfielders. I think we could use a different SS; that's why I mentioned Machado. Harper would be good too if he can be a good locker room guy.

 

I know almost nothing about Machado besides his stats. But I hear he can be a dirty player. I don't like that. But is he a good guy in the clibhouse?

I know you do not like Harper so I was sort of joking haha . Just to see what you would say lmao . I thought for sure maybe LA would sign Harper :dunno:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you do not like Harper so I was sort of joking haha . Just to see what you would say lmao . I thought for sure maybe LA would sign Harper :dunno:

 

Give me Mike Trout. If Harper or Machado is worth $30million/year, then Trout will be worth at least $5 million more per year. haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Give me Mike Trout. If Harper or Machado is worth $30million/year, then Trout will be worth at least $5 million more per year. haha

Kris Bryant will only make 12,900,000 in 2019. If Harper got a 10 year 300 Million dollar contract, that would be 30,000,000 a year lmao . Bryant has won an MVP and a WS and would earn way less than what Harper would get in 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kris Bryant will only make 12,900,000 in 2019. If Harper got a 10 year 300 Million dollar contract, that would be 30,000,000 a year lmao . Bryant has won an MVP and a WS and would earn way less than what Harper would get in 2019.

 

Harper is considered a better player and he has no injury history. I'd rather have Bryant than Harper, especially if he is making less than half of what Harper will be getting. 

 

$30 million per year is too much for any one player. I hope they don't get it. They can "feed their families" on $25 million/year. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

Harper is considered a better player and he has no injury history. I'd rather have Bryant than Harper, especially if he is making less than half of what Harper will be getting. 

 

$30 million per year is too much for any one player. I hope they don't get it. They can "feed their families" on $25 million/year. 

Harper has an injury history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/another-injury-bryce-harper-another-question-hes-really-worth-500-million-130003881.html

 

Thats from 2017, can’t recall any other injuries since though.

 

I believe  the reason he hasn’t resigned with Nats is that he wants to play for a different team, change of scenery, someone he believes to be a contender. Still hearing Padres,Giants, and Phillies. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

We have so many outfielders. I think we could use a different SS; that's why I mentioned Machado. Harper would be good too if he can be a good locker room guy.

 

I know almost nothing about Machado besides his stats. But I hear he can be a dirty player. I don't like that. But is he a good guy in the clibhouse?

Like I mentioned previously, he’s a dirty player, willing to hurt opponents to make a play is not ok in my book. Trying to bust up a play is one thing, but risking ending someone’s season/career is not right. IMO that attitude translates to clubhouse, but that’s just my opinion.

 

Im hearing the White Sox are trying to sign him, he would fit in with those bum Southsiders!!! lol jk I like the White Sox as long as they’re  not against my Cubs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, NFLfan said:

 

Why is he disliked so much? Vikings fans absolutely despise him.  I'm not crazy about him but he isn't that bad. I think Alex Rodriguez and the two people who broadcast with him do a pretty good job. 

Ugh, Alex Rodriguez, my second least favorite, lol. :thmdown:Liked him as a player for the most part, but his announcing not so much. He seems to put his foot in his mouth often, like the whole Cubs/Darvish/Madden situation. He was spreading rumors on air that were flat out not true, and Im not a huge fan of Darvish. I do think prior players usually make better sportscasters due to thier knowledge of the game, but I also think that throwing a microphone at someone based on who they are and not thier ability to call a game doesn’t always work. He is fairly new at it, so maybe he’ll get better. Somewhere I read that he even thinks he stinks at it, lol. I think the female on the crew, Jessica Mendoza, does a great job. 

 

Don't get me started on the Blowhard Buck, I cant stand him. I think those who call games should be impartial when announcing a game, which he never is. Local broadcasters I get, but not ones that are on the national stage. He always goes on tangents about things that do not concern the game going on in front of him, sometimes completely disregarding significant plays that just happened.....Hated when he did the Cubs 2016 World Series. Don’t have any issues with his dad.

 

1joy09.jpg

 

 

 

A lot of times l’ll turn volume down on TV and listen to Coomer and Hughes on the radio, so much better!!!!

 

 

 

OK.......:rantoff: I’m going to get more coffee.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Eh, I thought the same at first (mostly because of the rash of other negative posts after last week's loss) but he has stuck by this thread and clearly stated his viewpoints several times and why he believes them, while showing respect to others.  I think he's proven that he's not trolling.  It's just an unpopular opinion, which is perfectly fine.
    • There he is.  The internet tough guy.  Slow clap and intimidation reigns.    I've been on here over a year, and call it like I see it, but thanks for your advice ITG (Internet Tough Guy)   i said i wasn't impressed with the dude's running.  How is that a camoflaged subjective statement?  it's a subjective statement right out in the open.   Do I need your permission to be subjective?
    • You are a troll.   Newly joined member, and you will see quickly that your posts will become irrelevant. Also, when you are posting stats to try and camoflage subjective statements you should keep in mind sample size.      You are comparing 2 games to stats based on 16 in a lot of cases. Also, there is such a thing called qualitative data. These things have no numbers, but can still be measured based on opinion, especially in surveys. The speed and force in which JT runs is something that is hard to quantify. However, it is something that needs to be considered especially regarding a rookie.   Truth be told, I think a simple statistics course would help you. OR perhaps a refresher.    Here is to hoping your post quality improves seeing as you like to post quite a bit.    AKB
    • Rightfully so...ppl aren't reacting to two games. Ppl question flus for his entire body of work and the continued issues his defenses have. I am all for enjoying the win but that offense we played yesterday is bad. Defense did what they were supposed to but now it's about stringing multiple games together and rising to the challenge against a BAL and Pitt, etc.
    • PFF grades Rivers as #7 QB through Week 2, despite underperforming OL and WR    
  • Members

    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 604

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fat Clemenza

      Fat Clemenza 357

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr. Irrelevant

      Mr. Irrelevant 1,096

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Myles

      Myles 4,091

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Barry Sears

      Barry Sears 1,434

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 575

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SVFD Colts Fan

      SVFD Colts Fan 39

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 434

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 507

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 2,667

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...