Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Baseball can not start soon enough. That is the best sport going.

Cubs 2015-2018:

-4 straight Playoff appearances (2015-2018)

-1 WS appearance (2016)

-1 WS Championship (2016)

Time to rock n roll in 2019! Go Cubs!

Just another week for pitchers and catchers.

Go Mets! :excited:

2 hours ago, HOZER said:

Not a big deal IMO because he can't control what his dad says. Like Jim Irsay trying to control his dad's silly actions, can't do it :thmup:. His dad has nothing to do with the Cubs luckily. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:43 AM, NFLfan said:

Welcome to the Baseball Thread. We look forward to talking baseball with you. There are some Reds fans here but they do not post much in here. We hope you will. 

Yes I do too , he's a good baseball man , We talk a lot of the game in general at work . Not just Cards and Reds . We are both NL Central people but talk MLB in general.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, NFLfan said:

You're selling the Brewers short. Winning close games consistently is not a fluke. They had a very energetic and close team. I think they will still be a good team this year. 

The Central is packed. 

You are correct Sister , the Central may be the best top to bottom in baseball. Brewers will still be good. I still don't see them overall winning it. They have a good lineup on the field , however its my feeling their pitching over achieved . Right now I will take the Cards over any in the division. Concerns of Fowler need not be there. He is healthy for the first time since coming to St Louis , he is also on a short leash if he falters. He had better get off to a good start or he wont be playing, and may be cut regardless of salary. Its not like they don't have plenty to replace him. The Cardinals will have a very good starting staff with depth. They also should be very good in the pen. Dominic Leone is healthy , Bret Cecil has lost weight from the pudgy version , hes a question mark lol , Luke Gregerson wasn't supposed to be ready after showing up lame last year, but I guess he's way ahead of projection . You throw those two not Cecil he is a question mark plus Miller with the young talented pitchers they have. I think they could be looking pretty special before its said and done. Fowler can make a statement , but doing it knowing Martinez and O'Neil in the wings Fowler will only be batting lefty . Ozuna is healthy for the first time and in shape , other than throwing regiment will be ready to cut loose at the beginning pain free . Goldschmidt speaks for himself. In the end it will come down to Cards and Cubs and possibly a third team making it to postseason. I think you will see an even more explosive batting order producing many more runs than before. I think they are coached or managed much better than they have been . No Matheny around to dig them a hole they cant overcome. Matt Carpenter will be the leadoff hitter , for whatever mental block that's where he performs.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, Myles said:

The Brewers are still good, but you have to admit, the chances of them winning close games is going to go down in 2019.   Just like the Cardinals going 22-6 in August isn't likely to happen again.   August skewed the Cardinals season a bit.  Before Aug, they were 2 games under .500.   Had they played .500 ball in Aug, they would have finished 80-82, in 4th place in the division.  

A big part of the before was caused by Matheny , if you follow them as I do you watched him blow 10 games by pen mis-management. I love him as a person , never thought much as a manager. I watch pretty much every game.

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

As since this thread started, we all respect one another in here , its what makes this thread fun.:thmup: Can't wait to get the party started !

Amen! Baseball will be here before you know it. This will be a fun year. Looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

You are correct Sister , the Central may be the best top to bottom in baseball. Brewers will still be good. I still don't see them overall winning it. They have a good lineup on the field , however its my feeling their pitching over achieved . Right now I will take the Cards over any in the division. Concerns of Fowler need not be there. He is healthy for the first time since coming to St Louis , he is also on a short leash if he falters. He had better get off to a good start or he wont be playing, and may be cut regardless of salary. Its not like they don't have plenty to replace him. The Cardinals will have a very good starting staff with depth. They also should be very good in the pen. Dominic Leone is healthy , Bret Cecil has lost weight from the pudgy version , hes a question mark lol , Luke Gregerson wasn't supposed to be ready after showing up lame last year, but I guess he's way ahead of projection . You throw those two not Cecil he is a question mark plus Miller with the young talented pitchers they have. I think they could be looking pretty special before its said and done. Fowler can make a statement , but doing it knowing Martinez and O'Neil in the wings Fowler will only be batting lefty . Ozuna is healthy for the first time and in shape , other than throwing regiment will be ready to cut loose at the beginning pain free . Goldschmidt speaks for himself. In the end it will come down to Cards and Cubs and possibly a third team making it to postseason. I think you will see an even more explosive batting order producing many more runs than before. I think they are coached or managed much better than they have been . No Matheny around to dig them a hole they cant overcome. Matt Carpenter will be the leadoff hitter , for whatever mental block that's where he performs.

The Cards have an exciting team. I think Goldschmidt was the best acquisition of any team. 

The Mets have added some pieces to the line-up in Jed Lowrie, Robinson Cano, and Wilson Ramos. But I like young players with speed and who hit for average and we dont have much of that. I'm more excited about our pitchers. While I did not care for the Cano trade, I like the kid pitcher we got in the trade (Diaz). 

The NL East may not be as strong this year if Harper signs elsewhere. So, maybe the Mets have a chance in the division. :goodluck:

10 hours ago, HOZER said:

What was it that he wrote? The article did not include quotes or screenshots of the insensitive e-mail. I believe that this is not the first time Joe Ricketts has been accused of this. I read stories about him some years ago, but I don't recall exactly what. I had always thought he was the principal owner of the Cubs.

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What was it that he wrote? The article did not include quotes or screenshots of the insensitive e-mail. I believe that this is not the first time Joe Ricketts has been accused of this. I read stories about him some years ago, but I don't recall exactly what. I had always thought he was the principal owner of the Cubs.

His son Tom owns the team and of course Theo is President of Baseball Operations.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don’t recall him being accused of anything like this in the past. It’s pretty bad. He actually didn’t write the emails, but did comment and agree with some, and did not condemn them, then. He released an apology yesterday for them and showed regret.His personal email was hacked and the emails where exposed. He has no control of the team or its operation, basically just bankrolled it in 09. His children own it and immediately condemned the emails and have reached out to many community leaders to try to repair relations and move forward. I can’t help but think that this has a lot to do with both the Ricketts recent battle with a Chicago Alderman, and the fact that one of the Ricketts co-owners, Todd Ricketts, the Republican National Committee finance chair, will oversee fundraising for President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign. The emails were wrong, no disputing that, but there’s a lot more to this story that’s not being disclosed. (Sorry for bringing politics into this, I will leave it at that)

Ugh:facepalm:

The players, coaches, and fans of the Cubs have nothing to do with this contraversial subject. I am a diehard Cubs fan and will not stop supporting my team, regardless of what anyone says or thinks of me. GoCubsGo!!!

17 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I'm not a Reds fan, but I think we have to think that they could be a factor.   maybe not for winning the division, but they will help the division beat up on themselves. 

They brought in Kemp and Puig.   The potential is there for a pretty explosive line up, especially in a small park like they play in.   They have 5 guys who hit over 20 HR's last year.  

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm not a Reds fan, but I think we have to think that they could be a factor.   maybe not for winning the division, but they will help the division beat up on themselves. 

They brought in Kemp and Puig.   The potential is there for a pretty explosive line up, especially in a small park like they play in.   They have 5 guys who hit over 20 HR's last year.  

I think your right Myles they will beat up on each other. I also think they fare really well against the other divisions. I also agree on the Reds , I believe if healthy they are better than a 500 team. I actually can see the whole division above 500. Tall order but I do believe it possible. The best road team will win the division . We just got to see how this plays out to mid-season and also the trade deadline to see who the real players for the division are.

What your guys thought on the proposed universal dh?

For me, as a guy that only watched since 2007, I like the idea of having uniformity across the leagues. It makes it so much easier to compare teams in whether or not they are run scoring or pitching. Plus with the pitcher batting injuries lately I'd rather have them not try to hit since they don't do it common 

10 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For me, as a guy that only watched since 2007, I like the idea of having uniformity across the leagues. It makes it so much easier to compare teams in whether or not they are run scoring or pitching. Plus with the pitcher batting injuries lately I'd rather have them not try to hit since they don't do it common 

Im a baseball purist , it takes a lot of managing out of the game. However that being said I think its inevitable. Doesn't mean I will like it. Its made to produce more runs , and I for one love a great pitching dual. I hear you on pitchers injuries , it cost Wainwright big time when he blew his achilles.

19 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I think your right Myles they will beat up on each other. I also think they fare really well against the other divisions. I also agree on the Reds , I believe if healthy they are better than a 500 team. I actually can see the whole division above 500. Tall order but I do believe it possible. The best road team will win the division . We just got to see how this plays out to mid-season and also the trade deadline to see who the real players for the division are.

That would be a good bet to take in Vegas, as in taking all the teams to finish above .500 in the NL Central. Because the Odds would be against it and one would think it won't happen but it very well could. I wonder what the odds would be on that? If it was even just 5-1 it won't happen, just put 100 down and one could win 500 if it happened. Reds and Pirates both are capable of going 82-80. I think the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers all win at least 90.

5 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Im a baseball purist , it takes a lot of managing out of the game. However that being said I think its inevitable. Doesn't mean I will like it. Its made to produce more runs , and I for one love a great pitching dual. I hear you on pitchers injuries , it cost Wainwright big time when he blew his achilles.

Wainwright was one of the ones I thought of there. Strop is another. And there's been other guys hit. As people know, the likely hood of  a pitched getting a hit is low, especially in a crucial position. While I get the purist part, for me I don't have as long of a history and mine has always been Interleague play. I do also agree with the managing being taken out. It is the biggest thing that would knock it for me.

19 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I don't like it at all. I would rather it go the other way -- get rid of the DH altogether but that won't happen. I love NL-style baseball. I like to see pitchers bunt and managers forced to decide whether to keep the pitcher in or take him out. Now it seems like people wait for the home run.

@buccolts should remember this. I remember the Pirates when they had Jay Bell, Jose Lind, Andy Van Slyke, Bonds, Bonilla. They used to have the leadoff batter on and Jay Bell sacrifice him to second or third to set up the Bonilla, Bonds and Van Slyke for RBIs. I miss that type of baseball.

Speaking of the Pirates, one of the funniest moments in baseball is when Lloyd McClendon walked away with a base after being thrown out of the game. :lol: I believe he was with the Pirates.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't like it at all. I would rather it go the other way -- get rid of the DH altogether but that won't happen. I love NL-style baseball. I like to see pitchers bunt and managers forced to decide whether to keep the pitcher in or take him out. Now it seems like people wait for the home run.

@buccolts should remember this. I remember the Pirates when they had Jay Bell, Jose Lind, Andy Van Slyke, Bonds, Bonilla. They used to have the leadoff batter on and Jay Bell sacrifice him to second or third to set up the Bonilla, Bonds and Van Slyke for RBIs. I miss that type of baseball.

Speaking of the Pirates, one of the funniest moments in baseball is when Lloyd McClendon walked away with a base after being thrown out of the game. :lol:

Those Pirates teams were really good!

The great Frank Robinson has passed away. He was a great ambassador for baseball. He won the Triple Crown, MVP and World Series. He played and was a manager. 

Quote:

"Robinson took 14 trips to the All-Star Game, helped win two World Series with the O's and played 21 years in Major League Baseball. He's the only player to win the MVP award in both the American and National League. His number, 20, is retired by Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati...

Brooks Robinson released a statement, saying: "Frank Robinson was an amazing player and a great friend. When he came to the Orioles in 1966, it put us over the top. He was the best player I ever played with.

"More importantly, I am grateful that Frank and I were great friends. I spoke with him as he battled this cancer. He was in good spirits a few days ago and he wanted to be home with his wife, Barbara, and daughter, Nichelle. Connie and I will miss him dearly and we are both deeply saddened by his death."

Rest in peace, Mr. Robinson.

Link to Article: Frank Robinson passes away

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The great Frank Robinson has passed away. He was a great ambassador for baseball. He won the Triple Crown, MVP and World Series. He played and was a manager. 

Quote:

"Robinson took 14 trips to the All-Star Game, helped win two World Series with the O's and played 21 years in Major League Baseball. He's the only player to win the MVP award in both the American and National League. His number, 20, is retired by Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati...

Brooks Robinson released a statement, saying: "Frank Robinson was an amazing player and a great friend. When he came to the Orioles in 1966, it put us over the top. He was the best player I ever played with.

"More importantly, I am grateful that Frank and I were great friends. I spoke with him as he battled this cancer. He was in good spirits a few days ago and he wanted to be home with his wife, Barbara, and daughter, Nichelle. Connie and I will miss him dearly and we are both deeply saddened by his death."

Great player, RIP Frank.

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Speaking of the Pirates, one of the funniest moments in baseball is when Lloyd McClendon walked away with a base after being thrown out of the game. :lol: I believe he was with the Pirates.

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Oh yeah, Lloyd was pretty ticked the called him out at first, so he stole it. It's not often one steals first base, so it was pretty special.....     :)

Yes, that's the type of ball I like to watch also. The Cards were famous for it those days, as well.

I'm all for continuity, so the AL should really drop the DH. If the guys can't field, are they really Baseball Players? I think not.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be a good bet to take in Vegas, as in taking all the teams to finish above .500 in the NL Central. Because the Odds would be against it and one would think it won't happen but it very well could. I wonder what the odds would be on that? If it was even just 5-1 it won't happen, just put 100 down and one could win 500 if it happened. Reds and Pirates both are capable of going 82-80. I think the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers all win at least 90.

There is not enough wins to go around. If that happened, that means all the teams in the other divisions are all losing to the Central. 

5 hours ago, buccolts said:

Oh yeah, Lloyd was pretty ticked the called him out at first, so he stole it. It's not often one steals first base, so it was pretty special.....     :)

Yes, that's the type of ball I like to watch also. The Cards were famous for it those days, as well.

I'm all for continuity, so the AL should really drop the DH. If the guys can't field, are they really Baseball Players? I think not.

AL never will plus it helps get older players a chance to still play. That is why MLBPA wants it. It adds an extra 15 valuable positions. For me, I dont mind a DH too with Having Zorbrist, Schwaber, and Happ. It would add a better defensive outfield and giving some of the older guys on our roster a day off from field but could still hit

6 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

AL never will plus it helps get older players a chance to still play. That is why MLBPA wants it. It adds an extra 15 valuable positions. For me, I dont mind a DH too with Having Zorbrist, Schwaber, and Happ. It would add a better defensive outfield and giving some of the older guys on our roster a day off from field but could still hit

Are you saying they'll add a roster spot to all NL teams to accommodate the DH?

AL teams don't presently have an extra roster spot to accommodate the DH, do they?

So, 15 older guys get roster spots keeping 15 younger guys from having roster spots?

That doesn't do the union any favors.

Schwarber is an excellent AL candidate, as he's a HR or nothing, basically. I'm sure he could be taught to hit for a little more average, but not sure he'll ever be worth much in the field.

I don't need higher scores to be entertained. The DH is just boring baseball.

I know that's not the common opinion, and that I'm not the demographic they're trying to satisfy, but......... you asked.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think your right on the 90 club . I might take the wager at those odds for a big pay out :lol: The Cards main core are all at spring training ahead of time . Goldy was impressed

23 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hear you on the DH , The Cards and Cubs usually have some decent hitting pitchers historically , and that takes a made and taught advantage away. Yes im old School and I say raise the mound back to where it used to be. And …. :lol: Not allow hitters to dig in so to speak.:woah:

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

John told me about this at work last night . As a child I got to see him play along with Boog and Brooks Robinson , Harmon Kilibrew  on the opposite side in spring training . Sad to hear of his passing.

21 hours ago, NFLfan said:

There is not enough wins to go around. If that happened, that means all the teams in the other divisions are all losing to the Central. 

Its not out of the realm for most , I do see all the three Coltsbest mentioned in the 90 club.

18 hours ago, buccolts said:

Are you saying they'll add a roster spot to all NL teams to accommodate the DH?

AL teams don't presently have an extra roster spot to accommodate the DH, do they?

So, 15 older guys get roster spots keeping 15 younger guys from having roster spots?

That doesn't do the union any favors.

Schwarber is an excellent AL candidate, as he's a HR or nothing, basically. I'm sure he could be taught to hit for a little more average, but not sure he'll ever be worth much in the field.

I don't need higher scores to be entertained. The DH is just boring baseball.

I know that's not the common opinion, and that I'm not the demographic they're trying to satisfy, but......... you asked.

I mean it is 15 extra players as in instead of the random middle reliever or only play in a entire roster used game, the player would actually be worth something better. 

It actually helps MLBPA to have higher salaries for older players who can still hit but just dont move well for defense.

Schwarber defense last year was better than previous. He can hit for power and draw walks. His bat can still carry, but he has an amazing arm.

I need more action not just a automatic out. Plus as I said in other posts injuries for pitchers when hitting. They dont do it as often nor practice as often as regular hitters do. 

And that is the key the difference for generations on what you grown up with. I seen only interleague play years. 1997 was my birth year. So seeing a uniform rule would make sense to me. Also for the league they want to have younger fans to watch and honestly to make rules uniform across the league would be easier to understand than currently

On 2/8/2019 at 12:57 AM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Why would it add only 15 extra players, not 30? I can't see inter-league play with the NL teams having one extra player. If the NL will add a player, the AL should too.

I am not against making changes but I just don't like AL-style baseball. I am different because I don't value home runs the way most fans do. I like to see people on base and seeing what strategies are employed to manufacture runs or to create a big inning. I like to see pitchers throwing to catch players trying to steal. I like to see the suicide squeeze. I enjoy seeing the managers play chess rather than wait for the long ball. There is much less managing and less strategy involved in baseball when the pitcher is not hitting. Unfortunately there is not much of what I enjoy in baseball anymore. Most teams are trying to hit home runs. If I had to pay a lot of money for one player, my ideal every day player would hit for average (minimum .320), play great defense, have some speed, hit with people on base, and is clutch. To me that is not asking a lot. I don't like the slow player who hits .240 with 45 home runs and 110 RBI but hits into many double plays because of his lack of speed.

Anyway, no DH for me. However, I do like that adding a DH would expand rosters, giving more people jobs. :thmup:

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Why would it add only 15 extra players, not 30? I can't see inter-league play with the NL teams having one extra player. If the NL will add a player, the AL should too.

I am not against making changes but I just don't like AL-style baseball. I am different because I don't value home runs the way most fans do. I like to see people on base and seeing what strategies are employed to manufacture runs or to create a big inning. I like to see pitchers throwing to catch players trying to steal. I like to see the suicide squeeze. I enjoy seeing the managers play chess rather than wait for the long ball. There is much less managing and less strategy involved in baseball when the pitcher is not hitting. Unfortunately there is not much of what I enjoy in baseball anymore. Most teams are trying to hit home runs. If I had to pay a lot of money for one player, my ideal every day player would hit for average (minimum .320), play great defense, have some speed, hit with people on base, and is clutch. To me that is not asking a lot. I don't like the slow player who hits .240 with 45 home runs and 110 RBI but hits into many double plays because of his lack of speed.

Anyway, no DH for me. However, I do like that adding a DH would expand rosters, giving more people jobs. :thmup:

I think I confused you when I said 15 extra. It is 15 positions players who will play instead of a random middle reliever or no play back up. So everyone would still have the 25 man, but it would be a bigger player as the dh. 

I like the pitcher hitting, but with injuries I am getting worried to losing a valuable pitcher. Think about Thor and deGrom if they get injured while hitting. And at least for the Cubs, they would be able to employ an older player (Zobrist) who can hit well overall but using him less in the field can help him overall.

And theres a chance they may expand to 26 by next CBA I have seen

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I think I confused you when I said 15 extra. It is 15 positions players who will play instead of a random middle reliever or no play back up. So everyone would still have the 25 man, but it would be a bigger player as the dh. 

I like the pitcher hitting, but with injuries I am getting worried to losing a valuable pitcher. Think about Thor and deGrom if they get injured while hitting. And at least for the Cubs, they would be able to employ an older player (Zobrist) who can hit well overall but using him less in the field can help him overall.

And theres a chance they may expand to 26 by next CBA I have seen

Thanks for clarifying that. I misunderstood. I had been under the impression that the DH would be an extra player; I did not realize he would replace a reliever. If that is the case, I think I like the DH idea even less. Teams run out of pitchers. I don't like the idea of a position player replacing a reliever. 

Archived