Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep...a great reliever before it became envogue. Baines on the other hand.....hmmm..can I say I question that one. I mean all the guys that can't get into the Hall and he is who does. He was a great player...but HOF....me thinks not. I mean it only takes 12 of 16 voters to get in (mostly ex players and managers etc)....clearly a push back to the analytics crowd lol. Seemed more like he was buddy buddy with guys on the committee than anything.

I am ok with Baines getting in. Here are his numbers:

2866 Hits, had he had 3000 him getting in would be a no brainer

.289 average = Not Great but Very Good

1628 RBI's

384 HR's

-Problem some people have with Baines is, he just did everything Very Good but wasn't Great in 1 area like hitting 500 HR's for example, he had 384.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, RIP former Cub Luis Valbuena.....died in a car wreck along with former major leaguer Jose Castillo while in Venezuela. There was a third person in the vehicle who said that bandits caused them to wreck then robbed them while the two were dying and he lay there injured. Sad, Sad deal man. At some point God will cut those sacks of $&@# down. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/former-cubs-infielder-luis-valbuena-dies-in-car-accident-in-venezuela/amp/

In maybe good news, looks like Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde is leaving for the Orioles to be thier manager, and there’s word that the Cubs want David Ross in his place!!! Would love to see him back!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/could-cubs-find-next-david-ross/amp/

9 minutes ago, HOZER said:

First off, RIP former Cub Luis Valbuena.....died in a car wreck along with former major leaguer Jose Castillo while in Venezuela. There was a third person in the vehicle who said that bandits caused them to wreck then robbed them while the two were dying and he lay there injured. Sad, Sad deal man. At some point God will cut those sacks of $&@# down. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/former-cubs-infielder-luis-valbuena-dies-in-car-accident-in-venezuela/amp/

In maybe good news, looks like Cubs bench coach is leaving for the Orioles to be thier manager, and there’s word that the Cubs want David Ross in his place!!! Would love to see him back!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/could-cubs-find-next-david-ross/amp/

Yeah I heard about that car wreck. Really a sad situation. RIP Luis. I would love to have Ross back as part of the Cubs organization, that would be cool.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ok with Baines getting in. Here are his numbers:

2866 Hits, had he had 3000 him getting in would be a no brainer

.289 average = Not Great but Very Good

1628 RBI's

384 HR's

-Problem some people have with Baines is, he just did everything Very Good but wasn't Great in 1 area like hitting 500 HR's for example, he had 384.

He had longevity....but he was never to me one of those guys that dominated the game at any point in his career. Was he ever feared? Did he help with his defense? To me it was more a long time player that was pretty good....but never great like you said. Never over 30 home runs and only a couple times 100 runs driven in. Nothing remarkable except he stayed productive for a long time...but he also DH for most of those years. I can think of more deserving...even if they played a shorter time they dominated the game for a stretch of 5 or 6 years. Much rather have Edger Martinez as my DH than Harold Baines....anyways to go from can't get more than 5% of the vote to then getting put in by the Vet crew with 75%....hmmm. Me thinks he had some friends on the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge trade by the Dodgers. Dodgers traded Puig, Kemp, Wood, and Farmer to the Reds for Pitcher Homer Bailey and two prospects. Sounds like the Dodgers are going all in for Bryce Harper (clearing out Cap Space) because that deal is very one-sided in favor of the Reds. Puig was a spark plug and a Very Good player for the Dodgers. 

Saw that, very intriguing. The Cubs have been eerily quite for the most part...signed the infielder Descalso to a two year deal, people are saying he will replace Russell at some point. Murphy will once again be a Cub Killer, now with Arizona.  In other news, Yu Darvish is throwing again, :thmup:

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Huge trade by the Dodgers. Dodgers traded Puig, Kemp, Wood, and Farmer to the Reds for Pitcher Homer Bailey and two prospects. Sounds like the Dodgers are going all in for Bryce Harper (clearing out Cap Space) because that deal is very one-sided in favor of the Reds. Puig was a spark plug and a Very Good player for the Dodgers. 

Why would the Reds make that trade? They are taking on salaries of older players. It is a bit like that Mets trade for an aging Cano.

8 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Saw that, very intriguing. The Cubs have been eerily quite for the most part...signed the infielder Descalso to a two year deal, people are saying he will replace Russell at some point. Murphy will once again be a Cub Killer, now with Arizona.  In other news, Yu Darvish is throwing again, :thmup:

Yeah I seen where Murph signed with Arizona for 2 years. Damn it lmao 

15 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Glad to have Murph out of the NL East. There must be something about Murph that the Mets and Cubs did not want to re-sign him? 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Glad to have Murph out of the NL East. There must be something about Murph that the Mets ot Cubs did not want to re-sign him? 

I was shocked the Mets didn't re-sign him when they had him. Cubs not so much now because he is aging more. I really like him though. I would've loved to have him back for another year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was shocked the Mets didn't re-sign him when they had him. Cubs not so much now because he is aging more. I really like him though. I would've loved to have him back for another year.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Glad to have Murph out of the NL East. There must be something about Murph that the Mets and Cubs did not want to re-sign him? 

Clutch hitter but not so good defense maybe? He also stirred up some controversy for the Cubs due to the statements he had made about players of different sexual orientation, maybe they didn’t want anymore drama, especially after the Russell situation?

9 hours ago, HOZER said:

Clutch hitter but not so good defense maybe? He also stirred up some controversy for the Cubs due to the statements he had made about players of different sexual orientation, maybe they didn’t want anymore drama, especially after the Russell situation?

I had not heard Murph's controversial statements made while he was a Cubs player. However, Murph is a devout Christian and made similar comments when he was with the Mets. Could it be why the Cubs and Mets did not want to keep him? Surprising to me.

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I had not heard Murph's controversial statements made while he was a Cubs player. However, Murph is a devout Christian and made similar comments when he was with the Mets. Could it be why the Cubs and Mets did not want to keep him? Surprising to me.

The controversy was actually carried over since his Met days, a lot of people still holding his statement against him. One of the Ricketts family members and co owner of the Cubs , Laura Rickett’s, is gay. A lot of gay Cubs fans were mad at her for allowing the Cubs to sign Murphy due to his previous comments, and were calling for a boycott and protests. She made a statement regarding her position on Murphy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/laura-ricketts-explains-her-perspective-cubs-controversial-deal-daniel-murphy-gay-comments-pride-day%3famp

I personally have no issue with what he said, we are entitled to free speech and to believe in whatever we wish as Americans, don’t even think I would be offended if I was gay, but that’s just me. Maybe they decided it wasn’t worth the  trouble?

36 minutes ago, HOZER said:

The controversy was actually carried over since his Met days, a lot of people still holding his statement against him. One of the Ricketts family members and co owner of the Cubs , Laura Rickett’s, is gay. A lot of gay Cubs fans were mad at her for allowing the Cubs to sign Murphy due to his previous comments, and were calling for a boycott and protests. She made a statement regarding her position on Murphy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/laura-ricketts-explains-her-perspective-cubs-controversial-deal-daniel-murphy-gay-comments-pride-day%3famp

I personally have no issue with what he said, we are entitled to free speech and to believe in whatever we wish as Americans, don’t even think I would be offended if I was gay, but that’s just me. Maybe they decided it wasn’t worth the  trouble?

If that is all he said, I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of people have made similar comments. Why is he being treated differently? I think Tony Dungy made similar comments and he is well respected (one of my favorite people in sports). 

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes Bailey will be cut before season starts , this was simply a salary dump for them to help pursue Harper IMHO.

22 hours ago, HOZER said:

I'm not optimistic he will help much , good thing you all picked up a legit starter later in the season.

Like you I do not trust Darvish at all. He has to prove to me that he can put together 3 or 4 Good starts  in a row and stay healthy before I believe in him. 

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

The Cards got a bullpen shot in the arm if Andrew Miller is healthy and all indicators including DR's say he is.

Yes they did, he is Very Good. That was a very nice signing.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like you I do not trust Darvish at all. He has to prove to me that he can put together 3 or 4 Good starts  in a row and stay healthy before I believe in him. 

I always thought he was over hyped , if healthy he might be a decent anchor for the back of the rotation. That in itself would be a boost.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I work until 930 today. Then I will be off ready for some Football. What are you up too? How have you been?

Been very busy Brother work and now on days off I help my wife do all the things , I used to take for granted . Like grocery shopping so on down the line , but must keep her involved or she will feel useless.

Been very busy Brother work and now on days off I help my wife do all the things , I used to take for granted . Like grocery shopping so on down the line , but must keep her involved or she will feel useless.

You are a good man Jay. Just try and get as much rest as you can, that always helps. Are you going to be able to watch the games today? Colts have a big one at 1pm, then Pitt at Saints are on CBS at 430, another big one for us actually.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are a good man Jay. Just try and get as much rest as you can, that always helps. Are you going to be able to watch the games today? Colts have a big one at 1pm, then Pitt at Saints are on CBS at 430, another big one for us actually.

If not I'm recording them along with the Bears game

Left hander Indians and Yankees , so tuff the year 2016 in the postseason.

I thought to ask if he was with the Indians. That is a GREAT pick up. I think I was meant to be a Carda fan. They make the moves that I would make. He and Goldschmidt are fantastic additions to the team.

What a great Christmas present!

In case I don't see you again before the end of the year, have a Merry Christmas and a blessed 2019. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I thought to ask if he was with the Indians. That is a GREAT pick up. I think I was meant to be a Carda fan. They make the moves that I would make. He and Goldschmidt are fantastic additions to the team.

In case I don't see you again before the end of the year, have a Merry Christmas and a blessed 2019. 

Lol your more than welcome to Jump on the bandwagon my Friend , you would be a welcome addition . :lol: I'm outnumbered in here most of the time.  :peek:

10 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

You're the best! Will you see the kids and grandkids this holiday?  

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Same to you Merry Christmas and may the Lord bless and keep all of you through out this holiday season.

Archived