Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Yeah just have to flush this one down the toilet. A win tomorrow night by the Cubs would erase almost everything the Brewers have accomplished in this series though. They would've only gained a game. I had a feeling they would beat us 2 of 3 at their place anyway. They are like that irritating fly that buzzes around you when you are trying to sleep.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What happened to Rizzo? I am following the game but not watching it.

Rizzo left the game with a right foot contusion. He was injured when he fouled a ball off his foot in 3rd inning. X-rays negative though so that’s good!

If the Playoffs started today, here would be the Seedings:

American League

#1 Seed = Red Sox 97-44 (AL East leader)

#2 Seed = Astros 87-53 (AL West leader)

#3 Seed = Indians 79-60 (AL Central leader)

1st Wildcard spot = Yankees 87-53

2nd Wildcard spot = A's 84-57

National League

#1 Seed = Cubs 82-57 (NL Central leader)

#2 Seed = Rockies 77-62 (NL West leader)

#3 Seed = Braves 76-63 (NL East leader)

1st Wildcard spot = Brewers 79-62

2nd Wildcard spot = Cardinals 78-62

-I love the Wildcard games in both leagues, those would be 50/50. Imagine the Yankees going out early? The A's are no slouch! Cardinals at Brewers would be a classic with the Brewers having HFA. That could change though, Cards are only a half game back of the Brewers. That game may be at St Louis if they do play? If the Playoffs started today the Dodgers would be sitting at home. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fly the flag Hozer, Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go! Huge win tonight over the Brewers. Lead in the NL Central is now 4 games and 4.5 over the Cards with only 3 weeks left in the season.

Better late then never, lol......

8CCDF317-AF5E-4203-9A5D-9C8DFA1FD1B1.jpeg

How many WS Titles does it take in your opinions to be considered a SAME CORE DYNASTY? Same core meaning at least 10 key parts or more on the same team winning WS Titles. Like in the Cubs case if they win the WS this season -Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Contreras, Schwarber, Heyward, Lester, Hendricks, Montgomery, and Edwards would all be a part of #2. Joe Maddon would be the Manager as well for #2. Does it take more than 2 to be considered a mini-dynasty anyway?

-Here is what the Cubs have done since 2015 so far:

2015 = 97-65 (made NLCS as a Wildcard)

2016 = 103-58 (won the WS as the #1 Seed and Div Champs)

2017 = 92-70 (made the NLCS as a #3 Seed and Div Champs)

2018 = 83-57 (as of now are a #1 Seed in the NL)

Totals = 375-250 60% winnings in 4 seasons, 3 NLCS appearances so far, 2 Division Championships so far, 1 NL Pennant so far, 1 WS Title so far. In a 4 season span winning 60% of your games means you are 97 to 98 win team over that span.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How many WS Titles does it take in your opinions to be considered a SAME CORE DYNASTY? Same core meaning at least 10 key parts or more on the same team winning WS Titles. Like in the Cubs case if they win the WS this season -Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Contreras, Schwarber, Heyward, Lester, Hendricks, Montgomery, and Edwards would all be a part of #2. Joe Maddon would be the Manager as well for #2. Does it take more than 2 to be considered a mini-dynasty anyway?

-Here is what the Cubs have done since 2015 so far:

2015 = 97-65 (made NLCS as a Wildcard)

2016 = 103-58 (won the WS as the #1 Seed and Div Champs)

2017 = 92-70 (made the NLCS as a #3 Seed and Div Champs)

2018 = 83-57 (as of now are a #1 Seed in the NL)

Totals = 375-250 60% winnings in 4 seasons, 3 NLCS appearances so far, 2 Division Championships so far, 1 NL Pennant so far, 1 WS Title so far. In a 4 season span winning 60% of your games means you are 97 to 98 win team over that span.

I don't really know perimeters , but when I think DYNASTY , I'm  thinking maybe 10 year period . Lol that's my take, or whats in my mind.

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

I don't really know perimeters , but when I think DYNASTY , I'm  thinking maybe 10 year period . Lol that's my take, or whats in my mind.

Yeah or I am thinking 3 WS Titles like the Giants had between 2010-2014. Winning just 2 may not be enough in most peoples eyes. If the Cubs beat the RedSox, Yankees, or Astros though that would be an impressive #2. As of now just getting out of the NL would be impressive as good as the Brewers and Cards have been in their Division. I am not even sure the Cubs will get out of the NL.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah or I am thinking 3 WS Titles like the Giants had between 2010-2014. Winning just 2 may not be enough in most peoples eyes. If the Cubs beat the RedSox, Yankees, or Astros though that would be an impressive #2. As of now just getting out of the NL would be impressive as good as the Brewers and Cards have been in their Division. I am not even sure the Cubs will get out of the NL.

I think it will be fun to watch this all playout. Hope no major injuries for any of the Centrals teams.

5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I think it will be fun to watch this all playout. Hope no major injuries for any of the Centrals teams.

Yeah I think the Brewers will get in :spit:. I know that sounds funny and I don't like that team or fanbase but I can see them being the final Wildcard spot. If the Cubs do indeed win the Division, I think the Cards will be the 1st Wildcard spot IMO. If you are in that situation who do you want Pitching? If the Cubs are in that situation I want Hamels but I would be ok with Lester.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards won 2 with La Russa as Manager and Pujols as their best player from 2006-2011 (2006/2011)

They were very good but to me still not a dynasty . If the Braves would've one another series in the 90's I might have called that a Dynasty.

Yeah I think the Brewers will get in :spit:. I know that sounds funny and I don't like that team or fanbase but I can see them being the final Wildcard spot. If the Cubs do indeed win the Division, I think the Cards will be the 1st Wildcard spot IMO. If you are in that situation who do you want Pitching? If the Cubs are in that situation I want Hamels but I would be ok with Lester.

I honestly don't know , we have a few to choose from.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

They were very good but to me still not a dynasty . If the Braves would've one another series in the 90's I might have called that a Dynasty.

Yeah they were Very Good to Great for a decade, only winning 1 though means they weren't a dynasty. They were alot like the Colts in the Manning era, a fantastic team for a decade, got a Ring but not a dynasty.

Yeah they were Very Good to Great for a decade, only winning 1 though means they weren't a dynasty. They were alot like the Colts in the Manning era, a fantastic team for a decade, got a Ring but not a dynasty.

Yes pretty good comparison , I really felt the Braves under achieved in WS play.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

yeah I wasn't sure either that is why I was asking. I look at the Cubs and immediately say Hamels. 

I agree on Hamels , with the Cards its either got to be Flaherty or Mikolas , I lean toward Flaherty because he has been very good against the Brewers even in their park.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I agree on Hamels , with the Cards its either got to be Flaherty or Mikolas , I lean toward Flaherty because he has been very good against the Brewers even in their park.

I find it amazing we are even discussing this , with the Wacha and Martinez on DL for so long. Wacha was on his way to a career year.

5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I find it amazing we are even discussing this , with the Wacha and Martinez on DL for so long. Wacha was on his way to a career year.

Yeah eventhough I still thought the Cubs would be Good, at least Wildcard material, I did not think they would be 83-57 at this point with Bryant missing 2 months and Yu Darvish giving us nothing. Yu was supposed to replace Jake of all people. What has helped is, trading for Hamels - that was gigantic. He is doing what Yu was expected to do and what Jake has done.

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I also feel very strongly the NL champ will come out of the Central.

I do too, I think it will either be the Cubs or the Cards. I am just not saying the Cards because you are a Cards fan but I just think they are the 2nd best team in the NL right now. They have played great Baseball for over a month now.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do too, I think it will either be the Cubs or the Cards. I am just not saying the Cards because you are a Cards fan but I just think they are the 2nd best team in the NL right now. They have played great Baseball for over a month now.

Yes I know they are very dangerous if they make it. I knew they had the talent in the system and it has showed. Good thing they would not be where they are. I would've liked to seen how things worked with Alex Reyes in the rotation , however the lat injury ended his year. He is the most talented pitcher they have. I hope he will get the chance to show it next year.

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

Yes I know they are very dangerous if they make it. I knew they had the talent in the system and it has showed. Good thing they would not be where they are. I would've liked to seen how things worked with Alex Reyes in the rotation , however the lat injury ended his year. He is the most talented pitcher they have. I hope he will get the chance to show it next year.

Yeah I would rather play the Brewers, Rockies, or Braves before the Cards. Cards always seem to give us a rough time and your lineup is real dangerous.

Yeah I would rather play the Brewers, Rockies, or Braves before the Cards. Cards always seem to give us a rough time and your lineup is real dangerous.

Yes the defense is much better , more speed more ways to score. Matt Adams is getting hot as well giving them a left handed power bat to go with Carp.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Didn't Adams hit 2 HR's the other night? He was a nice addition much like Murphy for the Cubs.

Yes he did against the Nats , one was a monster into the upper deck in right. He is estatic to be back in St Louis . Very good in clubhouse as well.

Reading on other websites, Brewers fans thought for sure they were going to land deGrom. So glad that didn't happen. Imagine if they had deGrom? They would go from pesky to making me do this :tvsmash:

I was hoping the Cards would go after him . They had plenty of prospects to pull it off . They are set on using the system to build. He is easily the best in the MLB right now,

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I was hoping the Cards would go after him . They had plenty of prospects to pull it off . They are set on using the system to build. He is easily the best in the MLB right now,

Yeah I was hoping the Cubs would try for him too, Theo may of but Hamels is working out great. I do think deGrom should win Cy Young. Had the Cards got deGrom you guys would be real scary! You already are as it is.

Archived