Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Think to yourself.....why would we acquire a second baseman? Tells me what we expect from Kris Bryant rest of the season. Probably move Baez to third. We have no place to play him unless someone is hurt.

Bryant will be back not sure why you don't believe that? I guess until he comes back you won't believe it. Murphy can play LF, he and Schwarber can play on certain days, also this gives us added bench depth regarding Pinch Hitting in certain spots. Also the Cubs could keep Murphy at 2nd and play Baez at SS, bench a struggling Russell which would make sense. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bryant will be back not sure why you don't believe that? I guess until he comes back you won't believe it. Murphy can play LF, he and Schwarber can play on certain days, also this gives us added bench depth regarding Pinch Hitting in certain spots. Also the Cubs could keep Murphy at 2nd and play Baez at SS, bench a struggling Russell which would make sense. 

A younger Zobrist

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn’t hear about him. That sucks.

https://www.bleachernation.com/2018/08/06/so-i-am-wondering-if-addison-russells-finger-is-wrecking-his-production/

do read this article for regard of russell

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have Ben Zobriest that already does that just as well. Someone is hurt and until Bryant comes back healthy he isn’t healthy. I’ve watched him all year and he hasn’t looked right. To me it’s the Luck deal last year.

Seems it may be Russell but I still don’t buy Bryant won’t get shut down like Darvish at some point....we may have won a WS but we are still the Cubs...expect the worst man!

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We have Ben Zobriest that already does that just as well. Someone is hurt and until Bryant comes back healthy he isn’t healthy. I’ve watched him all year and he hasn’t looked right. To me it’s the Luck deal last year.

Ben can play CF, he's done it a few times this season. Russell is injured which I didn't know.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Zobrist is also my age

He is hitting just as well as Murphy and he is a switch hitter. Virtually same guy but Zobriest might be better still. Murphy is a free agent after the year.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ben can play CF, he's done it a few times this season. Russell is injured which I didn't know.

We are in trouble if we need to play Ben in center.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got Daniel Murphy for a bag of chips :yahoo:

Hozer must hate this trade. He said he had a "strong dislike" for Murph. I think that is how he put it. Lol

I have to root for the Cubs now that they got Murph (except when they play the Mets next week). Epstein is such a smart guy, on the level of Dave Dombrowski who is the best GM, IMO. :applause:

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He is hitting just as well as Murphy and he is a switch hitter. Virtually same guy but Zobriest might be better still. Murphy is a free agent after the year.

We are in trouble if we need to play Ben in center.

Why is that? He has been put in Center at least 20 times this year and has done fine. I have watched almost every Cubs game this year, he can play Center, LF or RF actually. He's played all 3.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Hozer must hate this trade. He said he had a "strong dislike" for Murph. I think that is how he put it. Lol

I have to root the rest of the season for the Cubs now that they got Murph. Epstein is such a smart guy, on the level of Dave Dombrowski who is the best GM, IMO. :applause:

This is not a good week to be a beltway baseball fan

The Orioles have been eliminated from the PS picture

The Nats just had a salary dump

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have to root the rest of the season for the Cubs now that they got Murph. Epstein is such a smart guy, on the level of Dave Dombrowski who is the best GM, IMO. :applause:

Hozer Posted earlier that he now loves Murphy :funny:

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Murphy can provide relief at multiple positions

He is a rental

Very true. With Russell out this really makes alot of sense. Like I said earlier Zobrist can play all 3 outfield positions and Baez can play SS which he has done this year at times with no problem. Baez is playing SS tonight.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Very true. With Russell out this really makes alot of sense. Like I said earlier Zobrist can play all 3 outfield positions and Baez can play SS which he has done this year at times with no problem. Baez is playing SS tonight.

Murphy has even played 1st some this year

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I have seen Zobrist play Center this year with no problem at times. If anything Joe could even put Heyward in Center who plays Great Defense and stick Zobrist in RF, play Murph at 2nd and Baez at SS, Bryant at 3rd, Rizzo would be at 1st. If Schawrber struggles, Bote can play LF on certain days. If Bryant comes back and needs a day off, Bote will play 3rd. WE have alot of options. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

With the Mets, I thought his best position was 3rd base.

@dgambill You will love Murph. From what you have shared about yourself, Murph is just like you. So, no more hating on the guy. He is on your team and is a good offensive player. He is a good person too. 

Zobriest is a Swiss Army knife but that doesn’t mean I want a hair cut with one. He can play center but our defense would take a big hit. Murphy is not a good fielder...we will never turn 7 double plays with Murphy at second. I like the pick up...don’t get me wrong he is a good player but if he is having to play I think it’s a downgrade.

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

With the Mets, I thought his best position was 3rd base.

@dgambill You will love Murph. From what you have shared about yourself, Murph is just like you. So, no more hating on the guy. He is on your team and is a good offensive player. He is a good person too. 

I hated facing him...I even said you guys should re-sign him next year..but I really value our defense and it would be a downgrade to start him. Seems like we have some injuries so it will be a good pick up but that doesn’t mean it’s a seemless transition.

Just now, dgambill said:

I hated facing him...I even said you guys should re-sign him next year..but I really value our defense and it would be a downgrade to start him. Seems like we have some injuries so it will be a good pick up but that doesn’t mean it’s a seemless transition.

That is his only negative-- his defense is not great. But now that Murph is in the lineup, you won't be losing games 1-0, 2-1. He will help score runs. 

Cubs lost 2-1, that is 5 games in a row they have only scored 1 Run. All have came on solo HR's. Maybe Murphy can bring us a spark? 3rd loss in a row, it's like we are trying to give the Division away with these bad losses. As of now the Brewers are losing 7-5 in the Top of the 6th at least but that game is far from over.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

If that’s the route we were taking, should have done it 3 weeks ago instead of saying we’re going all in

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is not like they are not still in contention 

Yeah that isn’t a move Nats would do 3 weeks ago. They were still in it. I think we have made some shrewd moves and added polished veteran players that have had post season success. Good moves and necessary if we want to make it to the post season or have any success these guys will be key for it. That said it’s frustrating the failures to build a solid starting rotation makes this all necessary. Maybe it’s just how I value building a team but I really am dissapointed in our approach in the off season to address those needs.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Zobriest is a Swiss Army knife but that doesn’t mean I want a hair cut with one. He can play center but our defense would take a big hit. Murphy is not a good fielder...we will never turn 7 double plays with Murphy at second. I like the pick up...don’t get me wrong he is a good player but if he is having to play I think it’s a downgrade.

I agree Zobrist isn't a Great Defensive CenterFielder but he's Average at worse. I was reading some comments on other Cubs websites and many would prefer Heyward in Center and ZoBrist in RF if Murphy were to play 2nd. Baez would play SS. 

At least the Brewers lost 9-7 to the Reds. We are still 3 games ahead of them despite the struggles. Cards are up 3-1 on the Dodgers in the 4th right now, if the Cards win that would put them just 2.5 games back. You would think they will cool off soon. Most teams do after a hot stretch. Cards have won 11 of 13 and Cubs have lost 3 in a row. I believe it goes in cycles with these teams. I have seen the Cubs win 5 in a row and turn around and lose 4 in a row, same for the Cards.

I am very concerned about our team right now though and less concerned about what the Brewers or Cards do. The Offense has completely disappeared. Doesn't matter if we hold teams to 2 or 3 Runs if we can only muster up 1 Run. Like I said I am hoping Murphy can bring a spark to this team and Bryant can get back by next week. I am starting to wonder if Chili Davis isn't part of the problem, alot of Cubs fans seem to think so. 

Archived