Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

In other trade news

Brewers acquired Joakim Soria

Yankees added JA Happ

The Happ move by the Yankees is a solid one. I don't think they will catch Boston though which means they will be a Wildcard. I don't know much about Soria, if that is all the Brewers get, it's all good. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Happ move by the Yankees is a solid one. I don't think they will catch Boston though which means they will be a Wildcard. I don't much about Soria, if that is all the Brewers get it's all good. 

Soria was the closer for the White Sox but spent much of his career with the Royals

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought he did, the name looked familiar. I think he was Good early in his career. The White Sox are so Bad that I haven't even seen him play this year.

After he left KC the first time(Texas and Detroit) his role changed to more of a setup guy

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has had a Good career but has struggled a bit this season. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Hamels. It would be a good pickup, he would perform better in Chicago with the Defense we have. Up until this season he has been pretty solid every year in his career. His struggles this season probably has alot to do with the team he's on.

The key is Rangers home park. His splits are like Chavez's for home and road. Way higher at home. Hopefully it will do that type of thing again that it is home ball park problems

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is official  

Cole Hamels is now a Cub

I dont think its still official. I think the medical isnt a hundred percent done yet

Heading into the last weekend of July, here are the NL Central Standings:

1. Cubs 60-42 

2. Brewers 59-46 (2.5 back)

3. Pirates 53-51 (8 back)

4. Cardinals 51-51 (9 back)

5. Reds 45-58 (15.5 back)

-Cubs currently have a 2.5 game lead over the Brewers going into the last weekend of July. They also have the best record in the National League and 5th best record in MLB. It's not all peaches though, Kris Bryant was just put on the 10 day DL for shoulder inflammation and Brandon Morrow is still on the DL for a back issue. Yu Darvish is still a mystery as well on when he will return or even if he will be Good when he does return? We are now what a call heading into the stretch run as we are about to close out July. Hard to believe 4 months of Baseball will have been played after the weekend ends.

-The Cubs and their fans have set lofty goals. Goals as in trying to make the World Series 2 times in 3 years and to win that 2nd World Series. Not sure if the Cubs can duplicate the Playoff run they had in 2016 (assuming they do make the Playoffs) when they won the World Series? We will see how it plays out :dunno:

Seems like the Cubs get these guys after they were good. First Darvish now Hamels...not sure that is going to be a difference maker. Hopefully they can get their stuff back for a late season run. (I know Hamel has good away splits but we aren't getting the Hamels of 3-4 years ago) Luckily it didn't cost much and after seeing Chatwood walk another half dozen I can't blame them.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Seems like the Cubs get these guys after they were good. First Darvish now Hamels...not sure that is going to be a difference maker. Hopefully they can get their stuff back for a late season run. (I know Hamel has good away splits but we aren't getting the Hamels of 3-4 years ago) Luckily it didn't cost much and after seeing Chatwood walk another half dozen I can't blame them.

Hamels has a 2.93 era away from Texas this year FWIW. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has Pitched solid at Wrigley too. I bet Theo looked at that before he traded for him. Yeah he isn't Hamels of 3 or 4 years ago but what I like is we got him for nothing. He will be an upgrade over Walkwood.

He also has ties to my area

Evansville Native Jerad Eickhoff was part of the package Texas gave up to get him

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He also has ties to my area

Evansville Native Jerad Eickhoff was part of the package Texas gave up to get him

He may even be better than Hendricks? Hendricks has really struggled this year. Lester is our only ACE. I hope Yu can come back and shock everyone and give us some Good outings.

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Wild Trade Rumor via Twitter

The Dodgers have asked about the availability of Bryce Harper

They are hungry for a WS Title so it could happen. They had our number last season in the NLCS but Kershaw isn't the same and they aren't near as dominant this season. They will have to go through the Cubs again IMO to get back to the WS so they are trying to load up.

-Looks like Cards beat us and the pesky Brewers won again. As of now the Brewers are only 1.5 back, Pirates are still 7 back and Cards still 8 back. We have pretty sizable leads on the Pirates and Cards but the darn Brewers won't go away. 

-Great news regarding Kris Bryant, he had an MRI on his shoulder and no structural damage was found. Cubs docs are finding ways to treat the shoulder. Bryant says he feels pretty good and the days off are helping. 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Friday Trade Wrap

Brewers add INF Mike Moustakas

Phillies acquire INF Asdrubal Cabrera

Cards Trade P Sam Tuivalala and DFA Greg Holland

Arizona acquire INF Eduardo Escobar

Astros add P Ryan Pressly

I knew about Asdrubal going to the Phils. Any news of the Brewers trying to acquire Zach Wheeler or another pitcher?

Can someone tell me what DRA stands for in baseball? This is the first time I have read it.  Also, what is "FIP"? See below:

Quote:

This year, though, he’s (Wheeler's) been largely solid, making 19 starts and putting up a 4.33 ERA/3.69 FIP and a 3.68 DRA (Deserved Run Average). That mark would be a large improvement for the Milwaukee rotation, which DRA largely sees as getting lucky, with Junior Guerra getting slapped with a 5.27 DRA, Chase Anderson at 5.05, Jhoulys Chacin at 4.64 and Wade Miley at 5.93.

Link: Brewers rumored to be interested in Wheeler

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Can someone tell me what DRA stands for in baseball? This is the first time I have read it.  Also, what is "FIP"? See below:

Quote:

This year, though, he’s (Wheeler's) been largely solid, making 19 starts and putting up a 4.33 ERA/3.69 FIP and a 3.68 DRA (Deserved Run Average). That mark would be a large improvement for the Milwaukee rotation, which DRA largely sees as getting lucky, with Junior Guerra getting slapped with a 5.27 DRA, Chase Anderson at 5.05, Jhoulys Chacin at 4.64 and Wade Miley at 5.93.

Link: Brewers rumored to be interested in Wheeler

Deserved Run Average, I have never heard of FIP. The Analytics people come up with something new every year on the fly.

24 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I'll be off to Cubs-Cards game on Sunday Night Baseball. I mean only my third game this year/month and in third different park haha

You travel a lot. Do you work for MLB? I once met a producer for one of the sports radio stations. She and I have a mutual friend. She invited me to a get-together where other producers and sports radio personalities of that station would be in attendance. I met a few people there that worked for MLB.com. You might have liked that. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Deserved Run Average, I have never heard of FIP. The Analytics people come up with something new every year on the fly.

haha Shows you how much I pay attention to analytics in baseball.

How we have the best record in the NL is amazing considering every starting Pitcher (except Lester) we have gives up a ton of runs in the 1st Inning. I have never seen nothing like it. Most teams Starting Pitchers are at least Great for 2 or 3 Innings - even the Bad one's LOL. Every game we fall way behind. If you are a Good Pitcher, how do you give up runs in the 1st Inning when you are fresh? Boooooooooooooooooooooo

Quintana what has happened to you? Cubs lose 6-2, all 6 runs scored on Q in first inning:wall: 

Chavez so far is looking  like a very nice acquisition, hopefully his ex Texas counterpart Hamels produces as well, we need him!!!

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

Quintana what has happened to you? Cubs lose 6-2, all 6 runs scored on Q in first inning:wall: 

Chavez so far is looking  like a very nice acquisition, hopefully his ex Texas counterpart Hamels produces as well, we need him!!!

Hopefully Hamels makes a difference because lately other than Lester our Starters have looked bad. I praise us and brag about us when we do good, when we do bad I am going to critical. That 1st Inning was a complete disaster. Brewers won again too, so they are now just a half game out of 1st. 

Archived