Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Easter, my friends. For those who celebrate Passover, have a happy Pesach. 

We have had pretty good baseball. The Mets have surprised me. They are pitching well as I expected. But what I like most is that they are hitting and playing small ball. They are not depending on home runs to score. They are aggressive on the base paths. I love that kind of baseball. I hope they keep that up.

Jay, did you watch yesterday's game? I was confused by how a baseball writer described deGrom's start. He wrote that deGrom was "effective but inefficient". Why inefficient? :scratch: He gave up 4 hits, 1 walk, 1 run in 5 and 2/3 innings. How is that not efficient? The only thing I could think of is that he did not go 6 innings. But it was the manager who took him out early. He could have faced another batter. 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Happy Easter, my friends. For those who celebrate Passover, have a happy Pesach. 

We have had pretty good baseball. The Mets have surprised me. They are pitching well as I expected. But what I like most is that they are hitting and playing small ball. They are not depending on home runs to score. They are aggressive on the base paths. I love that kind of baseball. I hope they keep that up.

Jay, did you watch yesterday's game? I was confused by how a baseball writer described deGrom's start. He wrote that deGrom was "effective but inefficient". Why inefficient? :scratch: He gave up 4 hits, 1 walk, 1 run in 5 and 2/3 innings. How is that not efficient? The only thing I could think of is that he did not go 6 innings. But it was the manager who took him out early. He could have faced another batter. 

Mets go for the sweep today! So far they look great in the 1st weekend of the season. Cubs look ok, if they get the win today we take 3 of 4 from the Marlins.

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mets go for the sweep today! So far they look great in the 1st weekend of the season. Cubs look ok, if they get the win today we take 3 of 4 from the Marlins.

We are tied at 1-1 in the top of the 3rd. Cards have a runner on 2nd with two out. Neither pitcher looks great. Both have thrown a lot of pitches. Mets pitcher has thrown 69 pitches!

It was a pretty atrocious weekend for starters for Cubs, I dont get how we could not get anything against that team our bullpen is looking good pretty much so hopefully they keep that going while our starters start. Hopefully our BABIP gets back to average. We were hitting it hard but couldnt get them to fall.  

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I'd say inefficient but effective may to do with closing guys out. I.E. lots of fouling long counts pitch count got up. I didnt watch or see the pitch count but that would be my thought

15 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It was a pretty atrocious weekend for starters for Cubs, I dont get how we could not get anything against that team our bullpen is looking good pretty much so hopefully they keep that going while our starters start. Hopefully our BABIP gets back to average. We were hitting it hard but couldnt get them to fall.  

I still hate the fact we didn't do everything to bring Jake back and we went all in on Darvish. Until Darvish gets his act together I will continue to question to why we signed him for that huge amount of money. If our Offense isn't clicking like today, we will lose a lot of games IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still hate the fact we didn't do everything to bring Jake back and we went all in on Darvish. Until Darvish gets his act together I will continue to question to why we signed him for that huge amount of money. If our Offense isn't clicking like today, we will lose a lot of games IMO.

I still am fine with Darvish over Arrietta right now, I kinda expect to not look as good with the Phillies. Darvish has to do better thats for sure, We also need some better umps. The zones this weekend were bad. We kept get striked out on low at the knee or just below, we'd do that its a ball. I think that hurt both Q and Darvish a lot. Our offense true isnt totally clicking we had good and bad. But still look at the game and look at the data too and we should had more hits, just so much hard hit stuff and we couldnt get a hit. they hit a weak one and it just falls. Hopefully like I said our BABIP goes back to an average as it should based on our hard hits

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I still am fine with Darvish over Arrietta right now, I kinda expect to not look as good with the Phillies. Darvish has to do better thats for sure, We also need some better umps. The zones this weekend were bad. We kept get striked out on low at the knee or just below, we'd do that its a ball. I think that hurt both Q and Darvish a lot. Our offense true isnt totally clicking we had good and bad. But still look at the game and look at the data too and we should had more hits, just so much hard hit stuff and we couldnt get a hit. they hit a weak one and it just falls. Hopefully like I said our BABIP goes back to an average as it should based on our hard hits

On Friday night, Heyward hit a bullet down the 1st base line with bases loaded in the 15th and it was snagged for a double play. That definitely is bad luck but I am concerned that we only scored 1 run on Friday and 0 today. I was concerned about our Pitching before the season started. I know it's only 4 games and we are 2-2 so we will see what happens from here. I did pick us to win the Division so I am still pretty positive attitude wise overall.

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On Friday night, Heyward hit a bullet down the 1st base line with bases loaded in the 15th and it was snagged for a double play. That definitely is bad luck but I am concerned that we only scored 1 run on Friday and 0 today. I was concerned about our Pitching before the season started. I know it's only 4 games and we are 2-2 so we will see what happens from here. I did pick us to win the Division so I am still pretty positive attitude wise overall.

That Heyward one but there's also been some by Addy hard hit and got caught. Even Javy had that a couple times. Zobs even his looking good has gotten screwed a bit. But ya they do need to do better to get runners in with less than 2 out

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lol DeGrom was fine , they may have been referring to throwing to many pitches . I don't know how many strike outs he had . He had trouble putting some hitters away long at bats which he finally won after several pitches. That being said he done just fine. People tend to forget it was the first game for him. The Mets have one of the best 1-2s starting in baseball. I did notice the game yesterday the HP umpire was really squeezing the strike zone that I did not like. The Mets are a good team . We don't get any breaks early as we move on to the Brewers and they have a pretty potent lineup. I like my Cardinals before its all said and done this year will probably be able to stack them up against anybody. Its very early I tend not to get to excited and I wouldn't put much stock in commentators criticism at this point.

16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Wish I could agree with you, only time will tell.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think as the year wears on you will probably realize how good the Cards staff is , especially in the bull pen which in all honesty was both of our teams major weakness last year. Its gonna be a fun year to see what transpires my friend.

This will be a very interesting year in the Central , I believe there are 3 very potent offenses that stack up against anyone. I believe it will come down to who has the best overall pitching for the long haul in this division . Way too early for a judgment on this question.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Paul DeJong Cards SS should be silencing skeptic's on the sophomore jinx . Hitting at a clip of .467 3hr 5 RBI's . 3 Homers in last 2 days . I'm really looking forward to a whole season from him.

Yep. I hope I don't see him facing the Mets any time soon.

Are you feeling better about your manager this year? Does he tell Molina what pitches to call? Or does he only do that opposing when runners are on base? 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yep. I hope I don't see him facing the Mets any time soon.

Are you feeling better about your manager this year? Does he tell Molina what pitches to call? Or does he only do that opposing when runners are on base? 

Molina calls his own pitches Matheny probably signaling positioning for him to relay . Handling of the pitching staff falls on Maddux , I'm very happy about that. My biggest problem with him Matheny was just that , also not having a quick enough hook .

27 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I do like the Mets team that has emerged , I believe they will give the Nationals more than they want .

Thank you. So far I like the manager. I liked Terry Collins too but Calloway is more in control. He makes the decisions, not the players. Harvey won't tell Calloway that he isn't getting off the mound when the manager wants to take Harvey out. He is a former pitching coach. 

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

That will come around , they are to good overall position wise for it not too.

Oh yeah, we are only 5 games in. Like you and I say April and May is a filling out process. Just stay around .500 and then take off in June. I agree with you regarding Pitching. I think out of the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards the Cards have the edge in Pitching.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, we are only 5 games in. Like you and I say April and May is a filling out process. Just stay around .500 and then take off in June. I agree with you regarding Pitching. I think out of the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards the Cards have the edge in Pitching.

Anything can happen and its a long year , but to me the acquisition of Holland really sets the Cards pen up. It also allowed them to keep Reyes out until at least June not that he cant pitch physically because he can . Now it will be a controlled regiment over the next 60 or so days and they will build him back towards starting instead of just the bull pen. We also know what trade deadline acquisitions can do .

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Anything can happen and its a long year , but to me the acquisition of Holland really sets the Cards pen up. It also allowed them to keep Reyes out until at least June not that he cant pitch physically because he can . Now it will be a controlled regiment over the next 60 or so days and they will build him back towards starting instead of just the bull pen. We also know what trade deadline acquisitions can do .

We will know a lot about all 3 teams by the end of May. Last season the Cubs hovered around .500 up until the All-Star break and was still ok. The Cards look a little better on paper this season though. Brewers look about the same but do have that explosive Offense. Long season like you say.

Archived