Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2017 at 7:32 PM, GOZER said:

Actions like these are why he won the award! Would love to be a famous Athlete, I would spend a majority of my free time doing the exact same thing!!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cubs/status/930124664231333888/video/1

1 hour ago, GOZER said:

Visited a child with Cancer...not sure why link didn't work

Thanks for sharing. I think Twitter was taking a while when I tried the first time. I tried again now and it worked. 

It's great. I think many players do that. We just don't hear about it unless we follow the players.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When do the Baseball winter meetings start? I miss Baseball already. Time for the Cubs to get their Championship back :thmup:

Work day is just not the same when I can't switch the radio over to AM and listen to the Cubs game with Hughes/Coomer.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:56 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Recent history:

2014 = Giants over Royals 4-3 in the World Series

2015 = Royals over Mets 4-1 in the World Series

2016 = Cubs over Indians 4-3 in the World Series

2017 = Astros over Dodgers 4-3 in the World Series

NL MVP's

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Bryce Harper

2016 = Kris Bryant

Who should win it in 2017?

AL MVP's

2014 = Mike Trout

2015 = Josh Donaldson

2016 = Mike Trout

NL Cy Young winners

2014 = Clayton Kershaw

2015 = Jake Arrieta

2016 = Max Scherzer

AL Cy Young winners

2014 = Corey Kluber

2015 = Dallas Keuchel

2016 = Rick Porcello

Max Scherzer wins NL Cy Young again, Corey Kluber wins AL Cy Young. MVP's of each league will be announced tonight on the MLB Channel at 6ET.

The Hawk, Andre Dawson is returning to the Cubs organization in some sort of capacity. Not sure what yet. That leads me to my all-time Cubs team which he is on it =

2B - Ryne Sandberg will leadoff - Good speed and Good power

1B - Kris Bryant would bat 2nd because he has Good speed and Good power as well, he can play 1B as he is a Good 3Basemen

CF - Hack Wilson would bat 3rd

RF - Andre Dawson hits cleanup! (who can forget 1987)

SS - Ernie Banks would bat 5th (Mr Cub)

LF - Billy Williams would bat 6th

3B - Ron Santo would bat 7th

C - Gabby Hartnett would bat 8th, not many people know him. He played in the 30's

P- Jake Arrieta gets the ball! Yes over Greg Maddux because Arrieta is the king when it comes to Cubs Pitching. We won a WS with him. If it was Cubs/Braves of course Maddux has had the better career. This is Cubs only though. Don't see anyone beating my lineup!

Manager - Joe Maddon!

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Hawk, Andre Dawson is returning to the Cubs organization in some sort of capacity. Not sure what yet. That leads me to my all-time Cubs team which he is on it =

1B - Kris Bryant would bat 2nd because he has Good speed and Good power as well, he can play 1B as he is a Good 3Basemen

C - Gabby Hartnett would bat 8th, not many people know him. He played in the 30's

P- Jake Arrieta gets the ball! Yes over Greg Maddux because Arrieta is the king when it comes to Cubs Pitching. We won a WS with him. If it was Cubs/Braves of course Maddux has had the better career. This is Cubs only though. Don't see anyone beating my lineup!

Manager - Joe Maddon!

Lol no way id take Ferguson Jenkins any day over Jake , but you probably never seen him pitch. He had 7 20 win seasons 6 in a row on bad teams . Brother you have to re-think that lol . If it makes you feel better pretty much agree with the rest of your lineup. Jenkins had 6 CYA and 5 MVP's in an era where you had Gibson Carlton , Juan Marichal and Sever .

32 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol no way id take Ferguson Jenkins any day over Jake , but you probably never seen him pitch. He had 7 20 win seasons 6 in a row on bad teams . Brother you have to re-think that lol . If it makes you feel better pretty much agree with the rest of your lineup. Jenkins had 6 CYA and 5 MVP's in an era where you had Gibson Carlton , Juan Marichal and Sever .

I did not see Jenkins when he was pitching, but no way is Jake the best pitcher the Cubs ever had. I would take Maddux over Jake. 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't see anyone beating my lineup!

I am going to work on a Mets line-up. (Mets don't have players to beat your line-up. But Seaver would beat Jake. haha) A line-up of best Cards or best Yankees may beat you. Maybe a team of best Giants, with Willie, Bonds, and a slew of other great players would also beat it.

4 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I figured I would get a rise out of you guys by starting Jake lmao. Regarding Maddux if you look at his Cubs career it wasn't Great, It was Good record wise. He was only 95-75 with the Cubs in his first stint. He came back to the Cubs for a couple of years after his Braves days and he was just a .500 Pitcher. He really didn't become a HOFame Pitcher until he first joined the Braves. I chose Jake over Jenkins because Jake has the experiences of Pitching in crucial Playoff games and WS games + out of those 3 Pitchers he is the only one to win a WS with the Cubs. I had my factors in picking Jake. Jake was also unhittable in 2015 when he won CY Young as a Cub. @NFLfan you say Seaver would beat Jake, problem is could Seaver shut down my lineup? That is real debatable.

-As a Cub, Jake is 68-31. He also won both of his starts in the WS vs the Indians (2-0) with a 2.38 ERA. Nah I am rolling with the guy that can give me Championships! Remember when choosing these teams it's about who was the better Cub not overall career. Jenkins has a great argument to being the #1 because he won 20+ games 6 seasons in a row but he never pitched in a Playoff game with the Cubs - to me that was the deciding factor. Jenkins also lost a lot of games - his record wasn't overwhelming with the Cubs - it was 167-132. Jake has pitched in many huge Playoff games with the Cubs and his 68-31 record speaks for itself. He is just clutch.

-As you can see I did a lot of research on this and it was tough coming up with the lineup I came up with. Just to have Kris Bryant on this team I had to put him at 1st because Santo is at 3rd. 

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I figured I would get a rise out of you guys by starting Jake lmao. Regarding Maddux if you look at his Cubs career it wasn't Great, It was Good record wise. He was only 95-75 with the Cubs in his first stint. He came back to the Cubs for a couple of years after his Braves days and he was just a .500 Pitcher. He really didn't become a HOFame Pitcher until he first joined the Braves. I chose Jake over Jenkins because Jake has the experiences of Pitching in crucial Playoff games and WS games + out of those 3 Pitchers he is the only one to win a WS with the Cubs. I had my factors in picking Jake. Jake was also unhittable in 2015 when he won CY Young as a Cub. @NFLfan you say Seaver would beat Jake, problem is could Seaver shut down my lineup? That is real debatable.

-As a Cub, Jake is 68-31. He also won both of his starts in the WS vs the Indians (2-0) with a 2.38 ERA. Nah I am rolling with the guy that can give me Championships! Remember when choosing these teams it's about who was the better Cub not overall career. Jenkins has a great argument to being the #1 because he won 20+ games 6 seasons in a row but he never pitched in a Playoff game with the Cubs - to me that was the deciding factor. Jenkins also lost a lot of games - his record wasn't overwhelming with the Cubs - it was 167-132. Jake has pitched in many huge Playoff games with the Cubs and his 68-31 record speaks for itself. He is just clutch.

-As you can see I did a lot of research on this and it was tough coming up with the lineup I came up with. Just to have Kris Bryant on this team I had to put him at 1st because Santo is at 3rd. 

Yes and id have to go with Mark Grace myself. Actually id have Banks at first. It would probably be my choice of Rogers Hornsby at second even though I love Rino.

6 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes and id have to go with Mark Grace myself. Actually id have Banks at first. It would probably be my choice of Rogers Hornsby at second even though I love Rino.

Leaving off Mark Grace was really tough but I wasn't going to leave Bryant off as he just won a League MVP and a WS and is so talented. There is someone that is always going to get left off these teams unfortunately. Although I could still add 1 more person because of the DH rule and put Grace on my Roster.

-I see what you are saying about Hornsby but he was more a Cardinal than a Cub. He only played 4 seasons in Chicago much like Maddux is more a Brave.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

P- Jake Arrieta gets the ball! Yes over Ferguson Jenkins and Greg Maddux because Arrieta is the king when it comes to Cubs Pitching. We won a WS with him. If it was Cubs/Braves of course Maddux has had the better career. This is Cubs only though. Don't see anyone beating my lineup!

Manager - Joe Maddon!

With the DH rule, when it is in affect I would plug in Mark Grace to bat in the Pitchers spot. Also this is the lineup I chose in a 1 game situation = do or die. See I could always have Jenkins in my BullPen for a solid 2 Pitchers in a 1 game situation. Pitch Jake for 5 and Pitch Jenkins for 4!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Leaving off Mark Grace was really tough but I wasn't going to leave Bryant off as he just won a League MVP and a WS and is so talented. There is someone that is always going to get left off these teams unfortunately. Although I could still add 1 more person because of the DH rule and put Grace on my Roster.

-I see what you are saying about Hornsby but he was more a Cardinal than a Cub. He only played 4 seasons in Chicago much like Maddux is more a Brave.

Hornsby was more of a Cardinal , however he put up big numbers with Cubs

Not sure what to make of the Tyler Chatwood signing? Cubs signed him to a 3 year 38 Mill contract. Kid is only 27 and throws in the mid 90s. Theo is known for going after young Pitchers that have potential which is why I think Jake is gone. Jake is in his 30s so I don't see us re-signing him. I love Jake but we got the best out of him if we do depart with him. It is what it is. Chatwood actually has pitched Good up until last season where he struggled but Jake struggled before he became a Cub so I trust Theo's process.

-In other news G.Stanton announced today that he only wants to play for either the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, or Astros if the Marlins do deal him. Man if the Cubs get him, that would stack our lineup!

-I was watching some Youtube video's earlier of Dodgers fans reaction to losing the WS. Man those are hilarious, same for the Indians fans losing in 2016 to the Cubs. Hey you can only have 1 Champion and the Cubs got it done in 2016 and Astros got it done last month. Cant wait for 2018!

If Jake does leave I just hope he doesn't sign with the Dodgers or Yankees. Those 2 teams may give him a load of cash because they haven't won a WS in a long time. If the Dodgers picked him up and got rid of Darvish, they would increase their chances of winning it all if that is possible haha . Astros wont have any interest in Jake because they just traded for Verlander so I am not worried about them getting him.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In other news G.Stanton announced today that he only wants to play for either the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, or Astros if the Marlins do deal him. Man if the Cubs get him, that would stack our lineup!

NY sports radio stations are reporting that Stanton has been traded to the Yankees. He is a great player but the Yankees did not need him. 

Glad the Mets did not pursue him. I hope we don't sign any high-priced veterans. No Ian Kinsler. The Mets are still trying to replace Murph. If only they had kept him...:Cry: 

I will always hold that decision not to re-sign Murph against our GM Sandy Alderson.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

NY sports radio stations are reporting that Stanton has been traded to the Yankees. He is a great player but the Yankees did not need him. 

Glad the Mets did not pursue him. I hope we don't sign any high-priced veterans. No Ian Kinsler. The Mets are still trying to replace Murph. If only they had kept him...:Cry: 

I will always hold that decision not to re-sign Murph against our GM Sandy Alderson.

Of course the Yankees didn't need him but they got him. I had a feeling he would go there. Ohtani signing with the Angels surprised me though.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Jake does leave I just hope he doesn't sign with the Dodgers or Yankees. Those 2 teams may give him a load of cash because they haven't won a WS in a long time. If the Dodgers picked him up and got rid of Darvish, they would increase their chances of winning it all if that is possible haha . Astros wont have any interest in Jake because they just traded for Verlander so I am not worried about them getting him.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Cards take him ? After all they can afford to pay .:spit:

43 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Cards take him ? After all they can afford to pay .:spit:

If the Cards sign him that would be cute lmao but hey if he does go to you guys, I would be ok with it even as a Cubs fan. He gave us 3 fantastic years and whatever team he chooses he deserves. I don't think the Cubs will re-sign him because they don't want a longterm situation with him at 31. Cubs offered him the 1 year 17.4 mill extension but Jake wants like a 4 year deal.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Cards sign him that would be cute lmao but hey if he does go to you guys, I would be ok with it even as a Cubs fan. He gave us 3 fantastic years and whatever team he chooses he deserves. I don't think the Cubs will re-sign him because they don't want a longterm situation with him at 31. Cubs offered him the 1 year 17.4 mill extension but Jake wants like a 4 year deal.

I read that the Nats were interested in Jake.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Now that would be scary!

Maybe.

The Yankees will be even more scary than they already are if they trade for Machado from the Orioles. Rumor has it that they might acquire him. That is a bit too much offense.

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Maybe.

The Yankees will be even more scary than they already are if they trade for Machado from the Orioles. Rumor has it that they might acquire him. That is a bit too much offense.

Yankees are loading up no doubt. Sometimes the most talented teams with huge payrolls don't win it all though. The Dodgers this past year are a great example of that. The Nats have a really talented team and are due, if they added Jake - they could break through.

Now that the Cubs finally won it all I am more relaxed going into new seasons. I felt like the Cubs were playing with house money this past season actually. Of course as a fan I want more Championships, so if we go a couple more years without winning it I will get a bit antsy again. As of now I am content as the haters cant make fun of us anymore, we got the ring in 2016! 108 years no longer, no more Billy Goat crap, no more Bartman crap! Teams that are way overdue regarding the contenders = Indians - haven't won it since 1948, Dodgers = haven't won it since 1988, and even the Yankees haven't won it since 2009. I am pretty happy the Astros won it all. I didn't expect it and 99% of people thought the Dodgers would destroy them. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lol I was kidding , they are not even showing interest . Age could be a factor.

This upcoming season will be interesting. The Cubs have made 3 straight NLCS(2015-2017) so the quest for 4 straight is on. More importantly getting back to the WS and winning it again like in 2016 is the ultimate goal. I will be curious to see what moves Theo makes. Cubs did just sign Pitcher Tyler Chatwood, ok that is Good but nothing earth shattering. It's only December so a lot can happen from now up through March. The Pitching Staff does have me worried a bit (Jake will probably leave) and the BullPen cost us dearly vs LA in the NLCS. Still love the lineup though with guys like Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras/Russell/Baez, etc..

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This upcoming season will be interesting. The Cubs have made 3 straight NLCS(2015-2017) so the quest for 4 straight is on. More importantly getting back to the WS and winning it again like in 2016 is the ultimate goal. I will be curious to see what moves Theo makes. Cubs did just sign Pitcher Tyler Chatwood, ok that is Good but nothing earth shattering. It's only December so a lot can happen from now up through March. The Pitching Staff does have me worried a bit (Jake will probably leave) and the BullPen cost us dearly vs LA in the NLCS. Still love the lineup though with guys like Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras/Russell/Baez, etc..

Has a team ever made 4 straight NLCS other than the Cards from 2011-2014? If they have I don't remember it? Cards made 4 in a row from 2011-2014, Cubs just made 3 from 2015-2017 so if they make it in 2018 they could match the Cards.

Archived