Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Not surprising. Nationals are annual choking dogs though. Any manager may not be able to fix that

I know, cant figure it out either because they have a loaded team. I never really thought they would beat the Cubs though. Just something about their team that isn't right. They have 2 Great Pitchers and have players like Harper and Taylor but choke every year.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want to see Yankees/Dodgers. To me the Astros are the AL version of the Nationals. I think LA will beat them easily like in 5/maybe 6. If it's the Yankees, Yankees have a great BullPen, streaky young Hitters, and that mystique of winning. I think that goes 7.

I too want to see that series. Talk about hype. Yankees weren't supposed to be this good, this soon. Dodgers finally overcome their choking habits and reach the WS for the first time since 1988. Be an intense series

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know, cant figure it out either because they have a loaded team. I never really thought they would beat the Cubs though. Just something about their team that isn't right. They have 2 Great Pitchers and have players like Harper and Taylor but choke every year.

I can't believe I thought they'd win game 5. But the Capitals are choking dogs too. Must be something about the nation's capital

19 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I can't believe I thought they'd win game 5. But the Capitals are choking dogs too. Must be something about the nation's capital

The water maybe? lmao I know I shouldn't say that but they lose every year in the NLDS. It took everything the Cubs had to beat them though I admit, we had nothing except for Jake vs LA.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The water maybe? lmao I know I shouldn't say that but they lose every year in the NLDS. It took everything the Cubs had to beat them though I admit, we had nothing except for Jake vs LA.

If it's true, I have no problem saying it. Nationals have been in the playoffs four times since 2012. They've lost all 4 NLDS' and had home field in all of them. Choking dogs

I don't like who the Mets have in mind for manager. Kevin Long? Why? Manny Acta is also on their list of potential managers. I don't know enough about Acta but I would prefer him over Long.

Come to think of it, I am not sure who would excite me as manager. Maybe I would like a former Met who I believe has never been a manager -- Joe McEwing. He was mostly a utility guy but he is among my favorite Mets players. 

@Luck is Good I see he was a coach with your team. Please share with me/us your thoughts on Joe as a coach. Thanks.

joe-mcewing.jpg

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't like who the Mets have in mind for manager. Kevin Long? Why? Manny Acta is also on their list of potential managers. I don't know enough about Acta but I would prefer him over Long.

Come to think of it, I am not sure who would excite me as manager. Maybe I would like a former Met who I believe has never been a manager -- Joe McEwing. He was mostly a utility guy but he is among my favorite Mets players. 

@Luck is Good I see he was a coach with your team. Please share with me/us your thoughts on Joe as a coach. Thanks.

joe-mcewing.jpg

He's not bad. I'd take a chance on him before Manny Acta or Kevin Long

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@NorthernBlue Who do you want to hire as the new manager? I was a bit surprised they let Dusty Baker go. You can't win by changing managers/coaches so frequently. 

Man I just don't even know at the point. Lots was put into the fact that Dusty never won us a playoff series but man it's hard to win in this league. Under Baker they were a perennial contender. The two teams they lost to were a Kershaw led Dodgers club (and we didn't have Stras or Ramos) and the other was the defending champ Cubs. Not exactly gimmies, even with the home field advantage.

I don't want Farrell. I dislike his handling of pitchers.

Recent talk has been of Alex Cora from the Astros. Wouldn't mind him tbh.

I just wish we'd stop going through managers every 2 years....

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Man I just don't even know at the point. Lots was put into the fact that Dusty never won us a playoff series but man it's hard to win in this league. Under Baker they were a perennial contender. The two teams they lost to were a Kershaw led Dodgers club (and we didn't have Stras or Ramos) and the other was the defending champ Cubs. Not exactly gimmies, even with the home field advantage.

I don't want Farrell. I dislike his handling of pitchers.

Recent talk has been of Alex Cora from the Astros. Wouldn't mind him tbh.

I just wish we'd stop going through managers every 2 years....

Nats seem jinxed. They arguably have the most talented team in Baseball. Maybe with a different manager they will go deep in the Playoffs.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Baseball, Cubs fans have really been spoiled over the last 3 years to be able to play into late October. I can see why fans of teams would just say forget about it if they are out of it in August.

This is a very true statement, if the Cubs were out of it in August I wouldn't of been near as interested in it. Most Baseball fans are like that. These last 3 years have kept me on edge. I will still watch the WS because it's the WS though, I always have watched the Playoffs even when the Cubs stunk.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nats seem jinxed. They arguably have the most talented team in Baseball. Maybe with a different manager they will go deep in the Playoffs.

How often are you going to change managers? Baker was given 2 years and the Nats played well under Baker. They were eliminated by last year's champions in game 5 in the best of 5 series. What more can one expect? I think it is absurd to fire any manager after 2 successful years. You need some continuity. I would not be pleased if I was a fan. I agree with @NorthernBlue.

Whoever the Mets hire, I want him there at least 3 years, especially if they are playing well. I like stability. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How often are you going to change managers? Baker was given 2 years and the Nats played well under Baker. They were eliminated by last year's champions in game 5 in the best of 5 series. What more can one expect? I think it is absurd to fire any manager after 2 successful years. You need some continuity. I would not be pleased if I was a fan. I agree with @NorthernBlue.

Whoever the Mets hire, I want him there at least 3 years, especially if they are playing well. I like stability. 

Not saying it is right to fire Dusty, I don't necessarily agree with it but I can see why. Here's why, he has had bad track record every where he's been in the Playoffs.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not saying it is right to fire Dusty, I don't necessarily agree with it but I can see why. Here's why, he has had bad track record every where he's been in the Playoffs.

I don't know. The Nats should never have hired him if that was the case. It is not fair to the team to be changing managers so frequently. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I don't know. The Nats should never have hired him if that was the case. It is not fair to the team to be changing managers so frequently. 

I agree with you, I wouldn't of fired him but just saying why they probably did. I think most people thought they would beat the Cubs including their management. Yeah Cubs are The Champs but on paper they had the better team and had HFA and still lost.

10 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Pitching coach Bosio let go by Cubs, apparently this was a Madden call, not Epstein. Guess their relationship had soured....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2739960-pitching-coaches-chris-bosio-dave-righetti-reportedly-fired-by-cubs-giants.amp.html

Good move? Bad move? It seemed that it was the lack of hitting that did the Cubs in. Bullpen was a problem too 

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good move? Bad move? It seemed that it was the lack of hitting that did the Cubs in. Bullpen was a problem too 

Hard to say.... Bullpen was awful, Can't decide if it was due to a lack of talent, or bad coaching. Maybe both? Madden also made some questionable decisions that affected pitching, that could have been why things soured.

3 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Hard to say.... Bullpen was awful, Can't decide if it was due to a lack of talent, or bad coaching. Maybe both? Madden also made some questionable decisions that affected pitching, that could have been why things soured.

This almost looks like a scapegoat move. Sometimes there is no one to blame. The other team may be better. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But do you attribute that to the pitching coach or the relievers? If you had Chap instead of Davis, would you have won more games?

Although I think Chap is better than Davis, Davis actually overall wasn't that bad. Not really sure how to answer your question because to me it is a combination of Edwards and Montgomery stinking it up along with some of the Coaching moves.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This almost looks like a scapegoat move. Sometimes there is no one to blame. The other team may be better. 

The bats did go silent in the Dodgers series, but we had pitching issues all season long, especially in the dreaded 8th inning. The other team definitely wanted it more and had the talent to get the job done, but don't believe this was a scapegoat move. Reading a little more, looks like amount of walks allowed had something to do with it.

Just now, GOZER said:

The bats did go silent in the Dodgers series, but we had pitching issues all season long, especially in the dreaded 8th inning. The other team definitely wanted it more and had the talent to get the job done, but don't believe this was a scapegoat move. Reading a little more, looks like amount of walks allowed had something to do with it.

The 8th Inning was awful all season. Still cant figure that out :dunno:

I wanted a Repeat because that would've cemented the Cubs as really Elite all-time but 3 straight NLCS and a WS win is still Great. Since 1977 the 2016 Cubs have the 4th best record of any WS Champion so that is going back 40 years, only teams that have been better are:

1. 1998 Yankees 114-48

2. 1986 Mets 108-54

3. 1984 Tigers 104-58

4. 2016 Cubs 103-58 (1 game got rained out and wasn't made up so the Tigers were .5 better)

-That is damn great company to be in.

Archived