Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

21 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Back to pre break form tonight. Lots of runners left on bases, lots of dumb mistakes. Put MVP back at third, Bote doesn’t belong there. Contreras needs to get healed up need him out there.

I agree, Bryant needs to be at 3rd. We left bases loaded in the 6th with a chance to blow the game open up 3-2 and failed. I had a feeling that would come back and bite us in the end. We struggle against the Reds for some reason. If it is any consolation the Brewers lost again so they are still 2.5 games back but the Cards won and are now in 2nd place only 2 back.

NL Central standings through July 15th

Cubs 50-44

Cards 47-45 (2 back)

Brewers 48-47 (2.5 back)

Reds 43-48 (5.5 back)

Pirates 44-49 (5.5 back)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, Bryant needs to be at 3rd. We left bases loaded in the 6th with a chance to blow the game open up 3-2 and failed. I had a feeling that would come back and bite us in the end. We struggle against the Reds for some reason. If it is any consolation the Brewers lost again so they are still 2.5 games back but the Cards won and are now in 2nd place only 2 back.

NL Central standings through July 15th

Cubs 50-44

Cards 47-45 (2 back)

Brewers 48-47 (2.5 back)

Reds 43-48 (5.5 back)

Pirates 44-49 (5.5 back)

Things did not go our way tonight but I will take how the standings are for now being that July is half over. We have been fortunate that the Cards and Brewers have struggled more than we have. At this point in the season we just have to play well enough to get into the playoffs at 50-44, then anything can happen. I am hoping Hamels is back by mid August.

As the trade deadline approaches, what are your thoughts/predictions for your favorite team?

I believe the Cardinals will be active, unless they fall apart the next 10 days.  If they maintain their spot in the standings and play decent ball during that time, then I feel like they'll try and add a starting pitcher and/or another bat to the line-up.

With Carpenter back now and the return of Ozuna from the IL, they could add a bat to bolster the offense in my opinion.  We have OF depth and prospects we can trade for an upgrade in the OF.  Someone like Reyes from San Diego, Mancini from the O's or Calhoun from the Angels.

If they go pitching, then Ray from the D-Backs or Boyd from Detroit.  Since the Indians are staying close to the Twins, then I think their starters may be off limits.

57 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

As the trade deadline approaches, what are your thoughts/predictions for your favorite team?

I hope my team (Mets) will be a seller. We need to start over. All the pitchers but deGrom, Lugo, and Syndergaard can go. Most of the veteran everyday players should be available for trades too. Now, who wants our players? Probably not many. The one player who I thought we could trade and get something of value for was Wheeler, but now he is on the IL.

Let's see what happens. I'm interested to hear what the other fans here think regarding their teams.

@Myles, @Jay Kirk Do you agree with Barry about moves he wishes to make for the Cards?

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hope my team (Mets) will be a seller. We need to start over. All the pitchers but deGrom, Lugo, and Syndergaard can go. Most of the veteran everyday players should be available for trades too. Now, who wants our players? Probably not many. The one player who I thought we could trade and get something of value for was Wheeler, but now he is on the IL.

Let's see what happens. I'm interested to hear what the other fans here think regarding their teams.

@Myles, @Jay Kirk Do you agree with Barry about moves he wishes to make for the Cards?

Will be interesting to see what the Mets do.  All those moves before the season seemed to point toward some success, but they haven't worked out, for the most part.  I agree they will be sellers and need to build around Alonso, McNeill, and some of those great pitchers.  It's tough in NYC, because they look over at the Yankees and what they've done without a lot of their top players so far this season and I'm sure patience is not in the Mets' vocabulary.

6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I believe the Cardinals will be active, unless they fall apart the next 10 days.  If they maintain their spot in the standings and play decent ball during that time, then I feel like they'll try and add a starting pitcher and/or another bat to the line-up.

With Carpenter back now and the return of Ozuna from the IL, they could add a bat to bolster the offense in my opinion.  We have OF depth and prospects we can trade for an upgrade in the OF.  Someone like Reyes from San Diego, Mancini from the O's or Calhoun from the Angels.

If they go pitching, then Ray from the D-Backs or Boyd from Detroit.  Since the Indians are staying close to the Twins, then I think their starters may be off limits.

I do not see the Cubs doing much from here on out, nothing major anyway. When Hamels comes back that will be a boost by itself. Cards IMO are still very dangerous and very well still could win the division without making any moves. It will be interesting to see who gets Bumgarner. 

17 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Carpenter is back on the DL.   I just don't see the team as being very good.  They seem to be more than 1 player away from being able to compete.  I suppose that if the Cubs and Brewers continue to play less than great ball, maybe it is worth a shot.   I don't feel the odds for this season is worth giving up much of their prospects unless it is for a player that is not a few month rental.  They currently only have 2 of the top 100 prospects.  The next 9 games  will be telling.   5 against PIT and 4 against Cincy.   That's followed by 3 against the Cubs, a couple at OAK and 3 at the Dodgers.   

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Carpenter is back on the DL.   I just don't see the team as being very good.  They seem to be more than 1 player away from being able to compete.  I suppose that if the Cubs and Brewers continue to play less than great ball, maybe it is worth a shot.   I don't feel the odds for this season is worth giving up much of their prospects unless it is for a player that is not a few month rental.  They currently only have 2 of the top 100 prospects.  The next 9 games  will be telling.   5 against PIT and 4 against Cincy.   That's followed by 3 against the Cubs, a couple at OAK and 3 at the Dodgers.   

Cincy is becoming scary IMO. It took everything the Cubs had to beat them last night. Cubs have the upper hand right now but there is still a ways to go.

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I expected a lot from the Cards after they acquired Goldschmidt and the reliever (Miller, is it?). How is Goldy doing now?

You seem to follow the top 100 prospects. The last time I checked, San Diego seemed to have about 10 on that list. I want the Mets to trade for prospects. They need to quit building through free agency and build the team through the farm system. I don't believe the Mets have more than 1 or 2 prospects among the top 100.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I expected a lot from the Cards after they acquired Goldschmidt and the reliever (Miller, is it?). How is Goldy doing now?

You seem to follow the top 100 prospects. The last time I checked, San Diego seemed to have about 10 on that list. I want the Mets to trade for prospects. They need to quit building through free agency and build the team through the farm system. I don't believe the Mets have more than 1 or 2 prospects among the top 100.

I honestly thought the Cards would win the division. They won the offseason bigtime. They still might but something isn't right with them. @Jay Kirk, what do you think of their manager? I know you hated their last one but the guy they have now is doing the same thing with better players.

As was stated before...Carpenter back on the IL and big games for the Cardinals coming up against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.  If they win less than 5 of those 9 games, then I think they hold off on any deals before the deadline.

Goldy and Miller have been big disappointments.  I know Goldy started slowly last year, but caught fire in June.  It's mid-July and he's still not hitting consistently.  I questioned the Miller acquisition when he was coming off a major injury.

They always seem to spend on big names, but get less than average results.  But, they'll always draw 3 million fans and make money for ownership.  I think a Front Office shake-up is due if they miss the playoffs again.  That would be 4 years with no playoffs and that doesn't set well with the fans.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I meant to include the link, sorry about that.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

I don't view it as concrete, but someone more knowledgeable than me spends time keeping it updated, so as a whole, I'll giver it value.   

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I meant to include the link, sorry about that.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

I don't view it as concrete, but someone more knowledgeable than me spends time keeping it updated, so as a whole, I'll giver it value.   

The Rays and Padres have tons of prospects that should enable them to acquire major league talent in future deals...especially if they are both in playoff contention each year.  Now, not all prospects make to the major leagues, but it's always nice to have some to either acquire players or replace players traded away.

For example, the Rays recently traded Nick Solak, a middle infielder from Durham, to Texas for a pitcher.  The Rays have a logjam at middle infield at the major and minor league levels, so they were able to trade Solak for pitching.  Solak was a teammate of Brendan McKay at the University of Louisville.  McKay recently started 3 games for the Rays and pitched very well.  He's back in Durham now, but that was a temporary send-down.

Although I'm a Cardinals fan first, I have been following the Rays the past two years because of McKay and Solak.  I live just across the river from Louisville and attend U of L baseball games on occasion.  They have a very strong program and have several players drafted each year.

I also noticed from the list that the Astros have several top prospects...some have already seen time in Houston.  That's pretty scary given how good the Astros are now.  But, it will be difficult to keep that roster together, so having top prospects will enable them to replenish via trades and after they lose free agents.

Also saw several on the list for the White Sox that they received from past trades and the Twins have a few, too.

2 hours ago, HOZER said:

Cubs Win! And Yu finally gets a win at a Wrigley!!!!!! He’s starting to heat up, hope he can keep that trend going!!!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

MVP hit HR #20 on the season as well. Glad to see Yu finally get a win at Wrigley. Brewers and Cards both won so it was much needed. 52-44 now on the season. We are still 2.5 ahead of the Brewers and 3 ahead of the Cards in the NL Central going into July 18th. I will take it. Cubs are off tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

They always seem to spend on big names, but get less than average results. 

That sounds like what I say about Mets acquisitions. High-priced free agents from other teams often disappoint. That is why I prefer going with young, home-grown players. They seem to be more hungry and play better. It seems like when star players move on to other teams, they disappoint. I think Harper and Machado have not performed as well as was expected for $30 million+/year. But Mike Trout is still doing well with the Angels after signing that big contract.

I wonder what @Jay Kirk is thinking. He loves his Cardinals and is usually optimistic. This must be difficult for him to watch.

10 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

The Rays and Padres have tons of prospects that should enable them to acquire major league talent in future deals...especially if they are both in playoff contention each year.  Now, not all prospects make to the major leagues, but it's always nice to have some to either acquire players or replace players traded away.

For example, the Rays recently traded Nick Solak, a middle infielder from Durham, to Texas for a pitcher.  The Rays have a logjam at middle infield at the major and minor league levels, so they were able to trade Solak for pitching.  Solak was a teammate of Brendan McKay at the University of Louisville.  McKay recently started 3 games for the Rays and pitched very well.  He's back in Durham now, but that was a temporary send-down.

Although I'm a Cardinals fan first, I have been following the Rays the past two years because of McKay and Solak.  I live just across the river from Louisville and attend U of L baseball games on occasion.  They have a very strong program and have several players drafted each year.

I also noticed from the list that the Astros have several top prospects...some have already seen time in Houston.  That's pretty scary given how good the Astros are now.  But, it will be difficult to keep that roster together, so having top prospects will enable them to replenish via trades and after they lose free agents.

Also saw several on the list for the White Sox that they received from past trades and the Twins have a few, too.

Last year, the Braves had many on the list. Acuna was the #1 prospect. He is doing pretty well in the majors. They still have 4 among the top 45.

I don't like giving up prospects for veterans, especially those with large contracts. What in the world made the Mets' new GM (a former agent) trade two of our top prospects for Robinson Cano and a closer?! The two young prospects we gave up are among the top 100 (#24 Kelenic and #67 Dunn). I would learn later that our GM was Cano's agent. 

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Last year, the Braves had many on the list. Acuna was the #1 prospect. He is doing pretty well in the majors. They still have 4 among the top 45.

I don't like giving up prospects for veterans, especially those with large contracts. What in the world made the Mets' new GM (a former agent) trade two of our top prospects for Robinson Cano and a closer?! The two young prospects we gave up are among the top 100 (#24 Kelenic and #67 Dunn). I would learn later that our GM was Cano's agent. 

I love the way Theo has built the Cubs. He thinks like you do but he has sprinkled in a few vets along the way like Rizzo, Zobrist, Jake, and Chapman. Hamels now. As a team you just have to find the right mix. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love the way Theo has built the Cubs. He thinks like you do but he has sprinkled in a few vets along the way like Rizzo, Zobrist, Jake, and Chapman. Hamels now. As a team you just have to find the right mix. 

Rizzo was young when the Cubs got him. I don't mind that. I also don't mind trading for solid veteran starting pitchers. I was pleased when we got Johan Santana. He was not great for us but I was happy with the trade. It is the signing high-priced free agents from other teams that I don't like.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Rizzo was young when the Cubs got him. I don't mind that. I also don't mind trading for solid veteran starting pitchers. I was pleased when we got Johan Santana. He was not great for us but I was happy with the trade. It is the signing high-priced free agents from other teams that I don't like.

Yeah I am so glad the Cubs didn't sign Harper. That contract is outrageous haha 

As a Cubs fan I complain from time to time. Looking at the standings and seeing how other teams struggle a little too, that is just the nature of 162 games in reality. There is a lot of parity in the league. The Cubs have the 3rd best record in the NL through 96 games heading into July 18th so I shouldn't really complain. They lead the NL Central with a 52-44 record over the 2nd place 50-47 Brewers by 2.5 games. The Cubs have the same record as the World Champion Red Sox who are also 52-44. Things could be worse. The key is playing well enough all season to get into the playoffs, so far the Cubs are doing just that. The Dodgers look powerful and will win over 100 games but come playoff time everyone is 0-0. Just get in should be the teams motto.

Building a team the right way with a mix of youth and veterans, along with a strong minor league system with top prospects is very difficult.  There are so many variables involved, along with some luck, too.

I'm sure the Phillies and Padres will eventually regret dishing out those huge contracts.  So far, neither signing has been worth the $$$.

You need to have a pipeline of young talent to replace departing free agents and injured players, too.  I did fail to mention the Braves entries in that prospects list.  They are proof that developing young talent is the most cost effective way to build a team, and then use the $$$ later to add a piece or two in a playoff push.

They are going to be good, even very good, for several more years barring any major injuries.  They have a solid, young core of players on offense and some young arms that will continue to develop.

It's great to see the Rays, Twins, Indians, A's, and Astros developing players and making smart trades.  They can't compete when it comes to big money free agents, so they have to build a different way.

The National League is still pretty much dominated by the big markets - LA, Chicago and Atlanta.

6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Building a team the right way with a mix of youth and veterans, along with a strong minor league system with top prospects is very difficult.  There are so many variables involved, along with some luck, too.

I'm sure the Phillies and Padres will eventually regret dishing out those huge contracts.  So far, neither signing has been worth the $$$.

You need to have a pipeline of young talent to replace departing free agents and injured players, too.  I did fail to mention the Braves entries in that prospects list.  They are proof that developing young talent is the most cost effective way to build a team, and then use the $$$ later to add a piece or two in a playoff push.

They are going to be good, even very good, for several more years barring any major injuries.  They have a solid, young core of players on offense and some young arms that will continue to develop.

It's great to see the Rays, Twins, Indians, A's, and Astros developing players and making smart trades.  They can't compete when it comes to big money free agents, so they have to build a different way.

The National League is still pretty much dominated by the big markets - LA, Chicago and Atlanta.

Winning a championship in baseball takes a lot of luck and the perfect mix between young guys and Vets + having the right manager. The Cubs finally had that in 2016. The Cards had that in 2011 and many other years. I like what the Braves and Reds are doing right now too in the NL.

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fly the flag Hozer. We won a wild one today, 6-5 over the Padres. 53-44 now on the season. Still 2.5 ahead of the Brewers and 3 ahead of the Cards. Kimbrel with an easy save. His 5th as a Cub in 6 tries. Kimbrel is like Chapman, he doesn't mess around Chicago Cubs Sport GIF by MLB. That last pitch was 99 lmao 

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

On 7/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, Barry Sears said:

I believe Tyler O Neal must be allowed to play fulltime . He has provided a big lift to the offense. DeJong has got hot again. As the Reds discovered last night , you must not give them an extra out. the Cards plated 10 in the sixth to overcome a 7 run deficit . Won game 12 to 11

On 7/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As a Cubs fan I complain from time to time. Looking at the standings and seeing how other teams struggle a little too, that is just the nature of 162 games in reality. There is a lot of parity in the league. The Cubs have the 3rd best record in the NL through 96 games heading into July 18th so I shouldn't really complain. They lead the NL Central with a 52-44 record over the 2nd place 50-47 Brewers by 2.5 games. The Cubs have the same record as the World Champion Red Sox who are also 52-44. Things could be worse. The key is playing well enough all season to get into the playoffs, so far the Cubs are doing just that. The Dodgers look powerful and will win over 100 games but come playoff time everyone is 0-0. Just get in should be the teams motto.

The key Brother is making the play offs and being hot when you get there. You have the upper hand when this happens regardless of your season record in my opinion.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am so glad the Cubs didn't sign Harper. That contract is outrageous haha 

Im glad the Cards didn't sign him either. I never really wanted him with the contract he was demanding. I would be totally happy if no one negotiates with Boros , he is bad for baseball in my opinion.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:27 PM, NFLfan said:

That sounds like what I say about Mets acquisitions. High-priced free agents from other teams often disappoint. That is why I prefer going with young, home-grown players. They seem to be more hungry and play better. It seems like when star players move on to other teams, they disappoint. I think Harper and Machado have not performed as well as was expected for $30 million+/year. But Mike Trout is still doing well with the Angels after signing that big contract.

I wonder what @Jay Kirk is thinking. He loves his Cardinals and is usually optimistic. This must be difficult for him to watch.

I think the Cards are fine they have taken 5 or six straight series and that's what you must do to make it to the end. 

On 7/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Barry Sears said:

As was stated before...Carpenter back on the IL and big games for the Cardinals coming up against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.  If they win less than 5 of those 9 games, then I think they hold off on any deals before the deadline.

Goldy and Miller have been big disappointments.  I know Goldy started slowly last year, but caught fire in June.  It's mid-July and he's still not hitting consistently.  I questioned the Miller acquisition when he was coming off a major injury.

They always seem to spend on big names, but get less than average results.  But, they'll always draw 3 million fans and make money for ownership.  I think a Front Office shake-up is due if they miss the playoffs again.  That would be 4 years with no playoffs and that doesn't set well with the fans.

Actually Miller has been very good over last 10 or so games much more as expected. Just coming back into his own after injury. The Hicks injury hurts , right now the pen can use some rest. Wacca can be traded as far as Im concerned along with Carpenter . would like to get a look at Hensley .

Archived