Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Shoulder inflammation. He injured his shoulder diving into a base back in June. Since then he has had problems with inflammation and soreness in the shoulder. MRI's have came back negative and but the Cubs are being cautious with him. 

They should be , I believe that's what took Scott Rolen away from the player he had been during his career . My guess is there will be a surgery in the offseason. Sports medicine keeps evolving. They can do some amazing things. Still we must hope its not needed.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards beat the Brewers 5-2. GOOD! Congrats on the huge win Jay.

Im very happy with them , as long as they keep winning series , I believe that's 8 in a row, they will be exactly where they need come playoffs. Im proud of the turn around they have brought to the table.

8 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

They should be , I believe that's what took Scott Rolen away from the player he had been during his career . My guess is there will be a surgery in the offseason. Sports medicine keeps evolving. They can do some amazing things. Still we must hope its not needed.

Yeah I'm not optimistic about Bryant returning or giving us anything this year. Shoulders for a batter are nothing to mess with. Can't take the chance of anything carrying over into the future. Darvish appears done as well...Cubs have enough to make it into the playoffs but will need to get hot to do damage once there.

I tell you the AL will be interesting too. If the A's win the West then Houston and NY have a win and in game....that would be crazy!

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I'm not optimistic about Bryant returning or giving us anything this year. Shoulders for a batter are nothing to mess with. Can't take the chance of anything carrying over into the future. Darvish appears done as well...Cubs have enough to make it into the playoffs but will need to get hot to do damage once there.

I tell you the AL will be interesting too. If the A's win the West then Houston and NY have a win and in game....that would be crazy!

It's already been said Bryant will be back by Theo and Joe. Bryant himself says he is now close to 100%. He will be back, whether or not he plays like he has (like in 2016 and 2017) is debatable but he will play again this season. I am just going by what our FO and what he has said. Cubs are just being cautious with him. As far as having surgery on his shoulder, he may in the offseason if the inflammation continues but he has had 2 MRI's, had one in late June and he just had one last week. Both showed no structural damage so who knows?? I have followed this story more than any other and I have seen no evidence that Bryant wont play again this year. This isn't an Andrew Luck situation like last years Colts. 

-I completely agree about Darvish, I think he is done this season. I was on here griping and complaining that we signed him back in March and didn't go all out to make sure we kept Jake. I knew it was a mistake signing Darvish. Jake is 9-8 this season and in 3 or 4 of his losses he had little Run support. If Jake was on our Roster instead of Darvish I fully believe the Cubs would be around 7 or 8 games ahead in the Division instead of 3.5 over the Brewers and 4 over the Cards.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's already been said Bryant will be back by Theo and Joe. Bryant himself says he is now close to 100%. He will be back, whether or not he plays like he has (like in 2016 and 2017) is debatable but he will play again this season. I am just going by what our FO and what he has said. Cubs are just being cautious with him. As far as having surgery on his shoulder, he may in the offseason if the inflammation continues but he has had 2 MRI's, had one in late June and he just had one last week. Both showed no structural damage so who knows?? I have followed this story more than any other and I have seen no evidence that Bryant wont play again this year. This isn't an Andrew Luck situation like last years Colts. 

-I completely agree about Darvish, I think he is done this season. I was on here griping and complaining that we signed him back in March and didn't go all out to make sure we kept Jake. I knew it was a mistake signing Darvish. Jake is 9-8 this season and in 3 or 4 of his losses he had little Run support. If Jake was on our Roster instead of Darvish I fully believe the Cubs would be around 7 or 8 games ahead in the Division instead of 3.5 over the Brewers and 4 over the Cards.

I hope its a correct prognosis . Even when he comes back don't expect him to take right off. After long layoffs some players struggle with timing. I hope the injury is nothing that re - emerges later.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably. Jake hasn’t been great but Jake has been a great post season pitcher...the opposite of Darvish. With all the talented big league ready hitters we have especially infielders hard to believe a move couldn’t have been made before the season for a front line starter. As great as our front office has been with developing young players and trades but outside Lester free agency we have stunk...and until recently with Heyward it was atrocious. If we were going to throw money like that at pitching we should have just paid Chapman and not felt so bad about giving up what we did for him.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Probably. Jake hasn’t been great but Jake has been a great post season pitcher...the opposite of Darvish. With all the talented big league ready hitters we have especially infielders hard to believe a move couldn’t have been made before the season for a front line starter. As great as our front office has been with developing young players and trades but outside Lester free agency we have stunk...and until recently with Heyward it was atrocious. If we were going to throw money like that at pitching we should have just paid Chapman and not felt so bad about giving up what we did for him.

I was hoping we would keep Chapman and Jake both. I really seen no reason not to show them the money but for me to criticize a guy like Theo seems like Blasphemy considering the success we have had since he's took over. I knew signing Darvish was a mistake though, just a gut feeling I had.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Mr WS MVP Ben Zorbrist?

21 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Mr WS MVP Ben Zorbrist?

He has been good no doubt...but that wasn’t a front office move. I mean he is  basically Maddens chauffeur so I give Joe credit for bringing him in lol. I wanted Scherzer a few years ago..then last year we had the ammo to get Verlander and we let Houston land him. Heck I would have even taken a flyer on Matt Harvey as much as on Darvish. There wasn’t a dominant pitcher out there this offseason so why blow money if the value isn’t there.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He has been good no doubt...but that wasn’t a front office move. I mean he is  basically Maddens chauffeur so I give Joe credit for bringing him in lol. I wanted Scherzer a few years ago..then last year we had the ammo to get Verlander and we let Houston land him. Heck I would have even taken a flyer on Matt Harvey as much as on Darvish. There wasn’t a dominant pitcher out there this offseason so why blow money if the value isn’t there.

Rumor is Bryce Harper wants to be a Cub next season and out of Washington, what do you think?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rumor is Bryce Harper wants to be a Cub next season and out of Washington, what do you think?

I just hate how irratic he is. It would be a nice left handed bat but we need starting pitching and where would the money come for that?? If he comes I imagine there would be some major trades for a couple pitchers. I mean Machado would make more sense and I think he would cost less. That would allow us to move Happ, Bote, and Russell who I would rather give up to get pitching rather than if we land Harper we likely have to move Almora and Happ or  Schwerber and Happ. Plus that leaves no place to play Zobriest. You would have to move Heyward to center and you lose some on defense. Besides if we spend big on either than that’s less money we have to lock up Bryant and Rizzo or the rest of the crew. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just hate how irratic he is. It would be a nice left handed bat but we need starting pitching and where would the money come for that?? If he comes I imagine there would be some major trades for a couple pitchers. I mean Machado would make more sense and I think he would cost less. That would allow us to move Happ, Bote, and Russell who I would rather give up to get pitching rather than if we land Harper we likely have to move Almora and Happ or  Schwerber and Happ. Plus that leaves no place to play Zobriest. You would have to move Heyward to center and you lose some on defense. Besides if we spend big on either than that’s less money we have to lock up Bryant and Rizzo or the rest of the crew. 

Yeah I would prefer better Pitching as well. Our 2 best Pitchers are basically Hamels and Lester and both are in their mid 30's. Hendricks is 28 so still fairly young but as of now our starting Pitching is shaky outside of those 3. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love it, heck of a race and all of the Divisions are up in the air in the NL. Dodgers may not make the Playoffs!

Fun times , once again its what makes baseball great in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good morning, gentlemen! :D

Good morning :thmup:  Lol have no clue why these merged

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I would prefer better Pitching as well. Our 2 best Pitchers are basically Hamels and Lester and both are in their mid 30's. Hendricks is 28 so still fairly young but as of now our starting Pitching is shaky outside of those 3. 

Thinking of next year big question is do you bring Hamels back? His salary would be $20 mil. Cost us nothing to let him walk the Rangers pick up his $6m for cutting him. I can say for certain we can't afford to pay him that but maybe he likes it here and signs a 1 or 2 year deal for 12-13m? Otherwise free agency doesn't hold much for pitching imo. Keuchel and Morton from the  Astros are the most interesting of the bunch. I would say we would be more likely to go after a Britton or Kimbrel to help the bull pen and use some of our younger arbitration eligible players to make a move for a new number 1 starter. I mean if the Cubs have the money and they want to land a young bat then there will be a lot of moves because the lineup is pretty crowded as it is. Question then becomes will it change the energy of the clubhouse. But we have to see how we finish out this year...it is a long way from over the way they have been playing.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:26 AM, Jay Kirk said:

Weaver cut his index finger opening something in the clubhouse a few days ago. I think he is good but in my opinion the least of their young guns capable of starting. Did not see the Game was out and about , and watching the Blue Angels in the skies above our home.

I forgot the TH Air Show was last weekend 

4 minutes ago, HOZER said:

A minor leaguer and a player to be named later or cash consideration? For Murphy? What? Is he hurt????  That doesn’t make sense?  Guess he will no longer be a Cub killer! So....who’s he replacing?

No one on the 40 man(39 before the add) according to Michael Cerami

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Thinking of next year big question is do you bring Hamels back? His salary would be $20 mil. Cost us nothing to let him walk the Rangers pick up his $6m for cutting him. I can say for certain we can't afford to pay him that but maybe he likes it here and signs a 1 or 2 year deal for 12-13m? Otherwise free agency doesn't hold much for pitching imo. Keuchel and Morton from the  Astros are the most interesting of the bunch. I would say we would be more likely to go after a Britton or Kimbrel to help the bull pen and use some of our younger arbitration eligible players to make a move for a new number 1 starter. I mean if the Cubs have the money and they want to land a young bat then there will be a lot of moves because the lineup is pretty crowded as it is. Question then becomes will it change the energy of the clubhouse. But we have to see how we finish out this year...it is a long way from over the way they have been playing.

If he keeps pitching the way he has, definitely find a way to keep him...I know it’ll be expensive, but he seems to be a stud with Ace potential. Are there any stipulations in Darvish contract that say they can let him walk without having to pay him an insane amount? I am through with him, never liked the signing to begin with. Sounds like he’s done for season. I know, injury’s suck and take a while to come back from, but I’m really just over him. Sorry not sorry. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yu-darvishs-disastrous-first-year-with-cubs-comes-to-an-end-due-to-stress-reaction-in-elbow/amp/#scso=_aJF8W6TDDeTUjwSap4rIBg52:0

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got Daniel Murphy for a bag of chips :yahoo:

Think to yourself.....why would we acquire a second baseman? Tells me what we expect from Kris Bryant rest of the season. Probably move Baez to third. We have no place to play him unless someone is hurt.

27 minutes ago, HOZER said:

If he keeps pitching the way he has, definitely find a way to keep him...I know it’ll be expensive, but he seems to be a stud with Ace potential. Are there any stipulations in Darvish contract that say they can let him walk without having to pay him an insane amount? I am through with him, never liked the signing to begin with. Sounds like he’s done for season. I know, injury’s suck and take a while to come back from, but I’m really just over him. Sorry not sorry. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yu-darvishs-disastrous-first-year-with-cubs-comes-to-an-end-due-to-stress-reaction-in-elbow/amp/#scso=_aJF8W6TDDeTUjwSap4rIBg52:0

I’m not keeping him for 20 mil. I’ll try to re-sign him maybe but not at that rate.

Archived