Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HOZER said:

Not really sure why Madden put in Bote and Lucroy when Zobrist and Contreras were catching fire, doesn’t make sense to me at all. As I say that Bote strikes out.

We lost a heart breaker. MVP was on deck, that sucks but hats off to the Cards. Kimbrel has been a huge let down for me. He couldn't carry Chapman's jock strap, gym bag, or shower towel. That is what I think of it lmao 

Brewers have an easy schedule down the stretch, we may miss the playoffs. If we do, it has been a hell of a 5 season run regardless.

2015 = 97-65, made wildcard spot, lost in the NLCS

2016 = 103-58, won the WS (won the NL Central)

2017 = 92-70, lost in the NLCS (won the NL Central)

2018 = 95-66, made wildcard spot, lost in wildcard game

2019 = 82-71 so far. 9 games to go. It looks like we r out of gas.

Bryant will always have his NL League MVP in 2016. Jake his NL Cy Young in 2015. Maddon his 2015 NL Manager of the Year

Theo built a great team but changes need to be made in 2020 if we do miss the playoffs. We need younger pitching and maybe it is time for Maddon to go? Lester and Hamels both have pitched lately like they belong in an old folks home. Kimbrel hasn't impressed me at all. He is not even close to what Chapman was in 2016.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I agree about the pitching but I don't know about replacing Maddon. Do you think Maddon is to blame for Cubs struggles this year? 

Regarding Maddon, I am not sure. I love the guy but some of his decisions are puzzling. Something just isn't right with this team. I think it is mostly clutch pitching but sometimes a new face/manager helps. Guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Heyward, Zobrist, Contreras can play for any manager IMO.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Maddon, I am not sure. I love the guy but some of his decisions are puzzling. Something just isn't right with this team. I think it is mostly clutch pitching but sometimes a new face/manager helps. Guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Heyward, Zobrist, Contreras can play for any manager IMO.

Sometimes I think Maddons TOO laid back and it ends up affecting the players attitudes as well.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

The Cubs have the highest payroll in MLB.    Their lineup looks as good as any teams on paper.  I think Madden certainly has to take a good share of the blame.  

What is your impression of him as coach of the Cubs? What about the players? Would really like an outsiders(fan of other team) opinion. Just curious? I absolutely love the guy and everything he’s done for the team but something is off. I also feel some of the players have gotten cocky or maybe a bit arrogant and that’s causing some of the problems.

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

What is your impression of him as coach of the Cubs? What about the players? Would really like an outsiders(fan of other team) opinion. Just curious? I absolutely love the guy and everything he’s done for the team but something is off. I also feel some of the players have gotten cocky or maybe a bit arrogant and that’s causing some of the problems.

After we won the WS in 2016, the team has seemed content at times. That is the vibe I have got. We have been good since then and have made the playoffs but do not look hungry like we were in 2016. Some of that has to fall on Maddon.

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

I liked him at first.

I think he is too quiet and the players seem to not listen to him much.  I'm not saying I'm right, just how it looks from the outside.

I also think he is best at cleaning up and fixing a poor team.  Not much staying power after that.   Maybe he craves a challenge bigger than getting a great lineup with the highest payroll to play well.   If I was the GM of the Cubs, Dodgers or Astros, I wouldn't want him.   If I was the GM of the Reds, Pirates or Diamondbacks, I would kill to have him.  

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

I liked him at first.

I think he is too quiet and the players seem to not listen to him much.  I'm not saying I'm right, just how it looks from the outside.

I also think he is best at cleaning up and fixing a poor team.  Not much staying power after that.   Maybe he craves a challenge bigger than getting a great lineup with the highest payroll to play well.   If I was the GM of the Cubs, Dodgers or Astros, I wouldn't want him.   If I was the GM of the Reds, Pirates or Diamondbacks, I would kill to have him.  

I agree with your assessment.  Some managers are better at reclamation and other better at managing an established team.  There have been several like that in all major and college sports.  The challenge of bringing a team back is something that some coaches and managers thrive on, while others aren't very good at it, even though they are successful/winning coaches and managers.

9 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I agree with your assessment.  Some managers are better at reclamation and other better at managing an established team.  There have been several like that in all major and college sports.  The challenge of bringing a team back is something that some coaches and managers thrive on, while others aren't very good at it, even though they are successful/winning coaches and managers.

Seems like sometimes they clean it up and then get bored.  I bet if Madden was given another reclamation project on a team willing to improve, he would be great again.   

39 minutes ago, Myles said:

Seems like sometimes they clean it up and then get bored.  I bet if Madden was given another reclamation project on a team willing to improve, he would be great again.   

See, I see that too. The Cubs have a ton of talent and reel off 4 or 5 wins in a row then look bored and lose 3 straight. As a fan, I call that being content after winning a WS. Talent alone has allowed us to be good and make the playoffs since 2016 but you need to be hungry and need great managing to win a championship. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I liked him at first.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See, I see that too. The Cubs have a ton of talent and reel off 4 or 5 wins in a row then look bored and lose 3 straight. As a fan, I call that being content after winning a WS. Talent alone has allowed us to be good and make the playoffs since 2016 but you need to be hungry and need great managing to win a championship. 

I apologize for the triple quote but I’m sure I would’ve been merged anyway ....... I had not looked at it that way very good assessment and I also agree it does seem like he’s better at putting a good team together but not good at maintaining it.  It really does seem like there are a bunch of distractions for the guys and sometimes they’re just trying to be too cute instead of focusing on baseball and winning. Even as I’m watching this game I see you guys swinging for the fences instead of trying to get base hits or runs to try to move runners or get on, you know fundamental baseball.  It’s like they play homerun derby every game, I just don’t get it. Really hoping they can pull this one out if not the fat lady will be singing in the distance and it might be hard to get her to go away.

You know if he does get his walking papers it will be interesting. I keep hearing David Ross our old catcher is a top candidate and I don’t know how to feel about that......He was definitely a team leader and a great man but I fear that his lack of experience will hurt the team and his friendliness could also result in more of the same, a similar atmosphere as Maddon.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I haven’t watched or listened to a complete game in more than a month

WNBA stretch run and playoffs

I have to be honest, I haven't watched 1 minute of the WNBA, I know you love it though so I won't say anything bad about it. Everyone loves their own thing. I just have no interest in it. Like Hockey and Soccer, I never watch those sports either. I do like Women's college basketball while the tournament is going on. That is entertaining. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to be honest, I haven't watched 1 minute of the WNBA, I know you love it though so I won't say anything bad about it. Everyone loves their own thing. I just have no interest in it. Like Hockey and Soccer, I never watch those sports either. I do like Women's college basketball while the tournament is going on. That is entertaining. 

One of the Aces stars is a former student 

I only follow the LV and JY3 was not in the league I would not watch

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like the Men's and Women's college tournament in March, college football as well. I mainly follow Pro football, baseball, and basketball - have for 40 years. I like golf when Tiger is battling for 1st too. 

Sports have been a part of my life since Day 1

My Dad played college football and Track and Field and then coaxhed for 30+ years

Only scored 1 run. Hats off to the Cards, this season is looking over folks. 2-1 Cards win. We just lost 4 in a row at home for the 1st time all year :facepalm:. We lose a lot of 1 run games, I am not sure if it is bad luck or not. We have the 2nd best point differential in the NL only behind the Dodgers and will probably miss the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, HOZER said:

Not sure this team deserves to be in the playoffs. There’s still a slim chance, it’ll take a miracle, but not even sure they deserve it. Sickening. I love my Cubs, and always will, but I can hear her in the near distance...,,,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9vDGX01nByEPLBP5CZxF

Yeah it is pretty disappointing that we are probably going to miss the playoffs with the team we have. It is what it is. Like I said above it has been a hell of a 5 season run with a WS title in 2016, NL Pennant title in 2016, 2 NL Central titles in 2016 and 2017, and 4 straight playoff appearances from 2015-2018. Here in 2019 we are just not finding ways to close out games/win the close games. That is what playoff teams do, we aren't doing it. Theo has a big offseason ahead of him if we do indeed miss the playoffs. Who do we keep, who do we trade, who do we pickup in Free Agency, etc.. What is Maddon's future? 

Anything can happen once you get into the playoffs but I seriously doubt anyone can beat the Dodgers in the NL anyway. A team would really have to have all the breaks go their way and the Dodgers would have to play not near their A game for them to lose a series. They can be beat but I do not see it. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

pitch perfect singing GIF, she is a singin lmao . I see  @Jay Kirk is playing it cautious but hey Jay go ahead and post brother, you guys have the division in the bag barring a miracle.

Although I highly doubt it, I really hope that Maddon or someone else, maybe Rizzo, ripped into everyone in the locker room after the loss yesterday....put some fire in their butts!!! If the seasons going to end for them prematurely, go down fighting, don't lay down for Gods sake. Step it up and act like you want to win.......the being content and all that hipster “it’s cool man,” “it’ll all shake out,”crap has to stop. There’s also got to be consequences for poor play, this is no longer little league. Sorry all just venting. :rantoff:

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

Although I highly doubt it, I really hope that Maddon or someone else, maybe Rizzo, ripped into everyone in the locker room after the loss yesterday....put some fire in their butts!!! If the seasons going to end for them prematurely, go down fighting, don't lay down for Gods sake. Step it up and act like you want to win.......the being content and all that hipster “it’s cool man,” “it’ll all shake out,”crap has to stop. There’s also got to be consequences for poor play, this is no longer little league. Sorry all just venting. :rantoff:

Rizzo would be the 1 guy that would be a vocal leader IMO. Players like MVP and Baez are not that, great players but not known as vocal leaders. Maddon is a players manager as well. Jason Heyward is pretty outspoken too.

And one more thing, lol, the team owners have been focused on the revitalization of Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville....new digs, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc...while the team has steadily been on the decline since winning the World Series. That stuffs great, has made it really nice, but it will be useless if they can’t keep a winning product on the field. I know many diehard fans like myself will continue to attend and give them our money, regardless of record, as we have in the past, but I believe it’s time to reassess priorities and take a look at this team.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The stakes are laid out in front of us now. We have to win the next 2 against the Cards (to get within 3 games) and sweep the Pirates to have a chance of doing anything.

Cards will not lay down, and Pirates have nothing to play for, it will be a tough road. Barf.

2 minutes ago, HOZER said:

And one more thing, lol, the team owners have been focused on the revitalization of Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville....new digs, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc...while the team has steadily been on the decline since winning the World Series. That stuffs great, has made it really nice, but it will be useless if they can’t keep a winning product on the field. I know many diehard fans like myself will continue to attend and give them our money, regardless of record, as we have in the past, but I believe it’s time to reassess priorities and take a look at this team.

Cards will not lay down, and Pirates have nothing to play for, it will be a tough road. Barf.

Yeah and the Brewers play cupcakes the rest of the season lmao . Cubs fans are pretty loyal but not making the playoffs will turn some folks away. You always have some that are bandwagon fans. I will still watch them next year like I have since the 80's.

Archived