Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

30 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

We all know spring training games mean lol not a whole lot. Probably as much as Preseason Football . The fun part is getting to see young talent you don't normally see.

Very true but it does amaze me how many games the Star players do play in. In Football they don't play that much in Pre-Season. After going to 3 straight NLCS and winning a WS, I don't much stock in these spring training games but cool to see the guys are playing well.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Very true but it does amaze me how many games the Star players do play in. In Football they don't play that much in Pre-Season. After going to 3 straight NLCS and winning a WS, I don't much stock in these spring training games but cool to see the guys are playing well.

Moustakas , Arrieta , Lynn , Cobb, Holland Lucroy . Lol I could field a pretty dog gone competitive team with FAs left unsigned . What is up with that ? Is it time for them to run Boras out ? Id be firing him if he was my agent .

I just seen Moustakas signed for 1 year with the Royals yesterday. I think part of the problem is the FAs coming available for next year. Will be a bonanza some who have the money are waiting to go all in on certain ones becoming available.

The Regular Season is just 3 weeks away. Any thoughts about who will be Great, Very Good, Good, or Bad?

Jay Kirk - Cards fan

Myles - Cards fan

NFLfan - Mets fan

Buccolts - Pirates fan

Brent - Reds fan

Jshipp - Yankees fan

Coltsfansince65 - Yankees fan

Bababooey - Yankees fan

Jared - Braves fan

Northern Blue - Nationals fan

Gozer - Cubs fan

Princeton Tiger - Cubs fan

BR-549 - Cubs fan

Punters are people - Cubs fan

Radiogirl - Cubs fan

Me(2006) - Cubs fan

-You guys/gals ready to rock the thread in 3 weeks? We now are on page 200 and that is basically just from the 2016 after season, 2017 Season, and now 2017 after season of Postings. The 2018 Season is about to begin.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Regular Season is just 3 weeks away. Any thoughts about who will be Great, Very Good, Good, or Bad?

Jay Kirk - Cards fan

Myles - Cards fan

NFLfan - Mets fan

Buccolts - Pirates fan

Brent - Reds fan

Jshipp - Yankees fan

Coltsfansince65 - Yankees fan

Bababooey - Yankees fan

Jared - Braves fan

Northern Blue - Nationals fan

Gozer - Cubs fan

Princeton Tiger - Cubs fan

BR-549 - Cubs fan

Punters are people - Cubs fan

Radiogirl - Cubs fan

Me(2006) - Cubs fan

-You guys/gals ready to rock the thread in 3 weeks? We now are on page 200 and that is basically just from the 2016 after season, 2017 Season, and now 2017 after season of Postings. The 2018 Season is about to begin.

I like the D-Backs as a very good sneaky WS contender this year. They actually have a filthy underrated rotation and still excellent hitters. Angels are the other team that have a chance to do big things. Ohtani, Trout, Simmons and Upton could carry them to the playoffs and possibly upset the Astros in the playoffs if they meet up. Garrett Richards has also looked great in Spring training so far for them. 

I think the Mariners will fully collapse this year, the Cubs will have some serious competition in the NL Central with the Cards and Brewers and that could go any of 3 ways. The Nationals will make one last effort to win the WS, and finally the Yankees and Red Sox will be at each others throats all year to win the division.

The prospects look fantastic right now and are improving each year. Expect Acuna, Mejia, Hays and Andujar to have big effects on their teams, as well as Ohtani (if you consider him a prospect). I'll give one last bold prediction that the Indians will not win the AL central. Picking the Twins to upset them this year.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I like the D-Backs as a very good sneaky WS contender this year. They actually have a filthy underrated rotation and still excellent hitters. Angels are the other team that have a chance to do big things. Ohtani, Trout, Simmons and Upton could carry them to the playoffs and possibly upset the Astros in the playoffs if they meet up. Garrett Richards has also looked great in Spring training so far for them. 

I think the Mariners will fully collapse this year, the Cubs will have some serious competition in the NL Central with the Cards and Brewers and that could go any of 3 ways. The Nationals will make one last effort to win the WS, and finally the Yankees and Red Sox will be at each others throats all year to win the division.

The prospects look fantastic right now and are improving each year. Expect Acuna, Mejia, Hays and Andujar to have big effects on their teams, as well as Ohtani (if you consider him a prospect). I'll give one last bold prediction that the Indians will not win the AL central. Picking the Twins to upset them this year.

I am still kind of waiting to see where Jake Arrieta goes. If he goes to the Dodgers or Yankees those teams will be real tough to beat then. I still like the Cubs to win the NL Central as long as Jake doesn't go to the Cards or Brewers which is a long shot. Not sure about getting back to another NLCS or WS though? Dodgers and Nationals both are really Good. Cubs did beat the Nats last season in the Playoffs though so we will see. In the AL, obviously the Astros and Yankees look like the cream of the crop but don't underestimate the Indians. The Indians generally choke but they have a Great Manager who wins a lot of games. This season is going to be real interesting, I still love the Indians Pitching staff too.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still kind of waiting to see where Jake Arrieta goes. If he goes to the Dodgers or Yankees those teams will be real tough to beat then. I still like the Cubs to win the NL Central as long as Jake doesn't go to the Cards or Brewers which is a long shot. Not sure about getting back to another NLCS or WS though? Dodgers and Nationals both are really Good. Cubs did beat the Nats last season in the Playoffs though so we will see. In the AL, obviously the Astros and Yankees look like the cream of the crop but don't underestimate the Indians. The Indians generally choke but they have a Great Manager who wins a lot of games. This season is going to be real interesting, I still love the Indians Pitching staff too.

No way Arrieta goes to the Yankees. Their rotation is stacked already. Dodgers is a possibility. Cubs could definitely win the NL Central again, however, I think their pitching is worse this year, even with Darvish. Arrieta is gone, Lester is a shell of himself, and even Darvish isn't exactly elite. It'll be a 3 team race IMO. I love the Astros and them or the Yankees will probably make the WS in the AL, but the Angels could be the darkhorse. They have elite talent from different areas that can hold their own. The Indians staff is very good. Kluber and Carrasco are elite, Bauer has potential as well. I just see them choking for some reason and the twins are on the up and up. They are the better team, but it's a bold prediction, so we'll see. LOL! It will be an interesting season.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No way Arrieta goes to the Yankees. Their rotation is stacked already. Dodgers is a possibility. Cubs could definitely win the NL Central again, however, I think their pitching is worse this year, even with Darvish. Arrieta is gone, Lester is a shell of himself, and even Darvish isn't exactly elite. It'll be a 3 team race IMO. I love the Astros and them or the Yankees will probably make the WS in the AL, but the Angels could be the darkhorse. They have elite talent from different areas that can hold their own. The Indians staff is very good. Kluber and Carrasco are elite, Bauer has potential as well. I just see them choking for some reason and the twins are on the up and up. They are the better team, but it's a bold prediction, so we'll see. LOL! It will be an interesting season.

Yeah the Cubs Pitching staff scares me a bit. They may have to outscore teams a lot to win which isn't a great recipe for winning in the Playoffs. Losing Jake wasn't good at all, Darvish is Good but not Elite like you said I agree. The Cubs BullPen looks shaky too on paper. They had their fare share of problems last season. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Cubs Pitching staff scares me a bit. They may have to outscore teams a lot to win which isn't a great recipe for winning in the Playoffs. Losing Jake wasn't good at all, Darvish is Good but not Elite like you said I agree. The Cubs BullPen looks shaky too on paper. They had their fare share of problems last season. 

Lol as I have said before you never get a good feel for things until at least late May sometimes after the All Star break.

7 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol as I have said before you never get a good feel for things until at least late May sometimes after the All Star break.

I agree April and May are a feeling out process. Just need to be .500 for those months - at least play .500. Then when June rolls around, time to kick it in a bit. After the All-Star break is when it's time to be playing your best.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree April and May are a feeling out process. Just need be .500 for those months - at least play .500. Then when June rolls around, time to kick it in a bit. After the All-Star break is when it's time to be playing your best.

Unless someone gets out to a 25-1 start in the Central I see it being a real fight all year. Regardless all 3 top teams have questions.

Mets and Yankees are playing each other today. The pre-game just began. Too bad I am going out. Harvey is pitching. Waiting for real baseball to start to pay more attention.

Btw, any free agent contact hitters still without a contract? 

Enjoy the day!

Just now, NFLfan said:

Mets and Yankees are playing each other today. The pre-game just began. Too bad I am going out. Harvey is pitching. Waiting for real baseball to start to pay more attention.

Enjoy the day!

Hey Harvey looks pretty good all kidding aside.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Enjoy the day!

Brandon Phillips

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I think the spring games will be getting more serious come next week.

Yeah I have to work all night on the 28th (get off at 530am) but I am off on the 29th which is Thursday = opening day. I will get home and get some sleep and then 15 games are on all day. Cubs play the Marlins at 1pm. I will probably go to the store on Wednesday and get a big of Hot Wings and a case of beer so I don't have to screw with it on Thursday.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have to work all night on the 28th (get off at 530am) but I am off on the 29th which is Thursday = opening day. I will get home and get some sleep and then 15 games are on all day. Cubs play the Marlins at 1pm. I will probably go to the store on Wednesday and get a big of Hot Wings and a case of beer so I don't have to screw with it on Thursday.

I'm happy that the 29 is the first day off for easter break for me, so i'll be able to watch the game

3 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Done deal, Arrieta signs with the Phillies. Guess I have to wish him good luck with his new team, wish we could have kept him.....read again he turned down multiple offers, did not want to remain a Cub.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-arrieta-phillies-20180311-story,amp.html

Yeah I just seen that too. Remember when I said Philly about 2 weeks ago? I had a feeling this would be coming. I wish him the best, he is my favorite Cub Pitcher of all-time regarding clutch Playoff play.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At least he didn't sign with the Dodgers or Yankees lmao. or the Cards or the BrewCrew lmao 

Yes the Cards didn't really pursue him , would love to had him. Lynn signed with the Twins one year 8 mil ended up being far less than the Cards qualifying offer .I wish both of these pitchers well and glad neither ended up in the Central.

3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes the Cards didn't really pursue him , would love to had him. Lynn signed with the Twins one year 8 mil ended up being far less than the Cards qualifying offer .I wish both of these pitchers well and glad neither ended up in the Central.

I hear ya. The Brewers had interest in him too. Glad he didn't go there.

May sound strange but with Maddox at the helm of the pitching Staff and a rejuvenated Adam Wainright , I really like this Cardinal team . Waino looked more like the one who used to dominate this spring velocity and movement back on FB and The curve back to the old biting menace it used to be. The offense is loaded I'm ready to get the party started a long season but I'm a lot more confident with this team all around than I have been. Only real question mark for me is who settles in as the Closer . Bull pen is solid and that was a glaring weakness last year. Plenty to be optimistic about.

5 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

May sound strange but with Maddox at the helm of the pitching Staff and a rejuvenated Adam Wainright , I really like this Cardinal team . Waino looked more like the one who used to dominate this spring velocity and movement back on FB and The curve back to the old biting menace it used to be. The offense is loaded I'm ready to get the party started a long season but I'm a lot more confident with this team all around than I have been. Only real question mark for me is who settles in as the Closer . Bull pen is solid and that was a glaring weakness last year. Plenty to be optimistic about.

Yeah I think it's a toss up between the Cubs/Cards/and Brewers on who wins the Division. I am picking the Cubs but don't feel real comfortable about it. I think it will come down to the last week of the season this season. The Cubs still have Good Pitching but it isn't Great anymore like it was in 2016. The BullPen looks shaky to me on paper too. I love our lineup though with Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras/Baez/Russell/Happ/KyleS/Zobrist, etc.. We have a lot weapons on offense. I think we will have to outscore a lot of teams to win but we are capable of it with the guys I just mentioned. I am looking at the Cubs at winning 90 games. It will take 90 to win the Division IMO as the Cards and Brewers will be right at 90 as well.

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I'm joining you at the party. :cheer: 

Opening Day is a week from tomorrow for the Cards and Mets who face each other. That is going to be tough home opener for the Mets. I will try to go that game or on Saturday. 

Baseball is here again. :D

My early pick for the WS = Dodgers 4-2 over the Yankees. The Dodgers have been close for a long time, they are due. The Yankees are the best team in the AL IMO. It's real tough to Repeat, no team has done it since the 2000Yankees so I see the Astros having a let down like the Cubs did last season. I don't trust the Nationals or Indians, those 2 teams choke every year. Regarding the Cubs I can see them making their 4th straight NLCS by the skin of their teeth but as of now I don't think they have the BullPen to get back to another WS or win another. Losing Jake off the starting rotation isn't good either.

The 5 teams from the NL that I see going to the Playoffs are:

Dodgers - will win a projected 95

Nationals - will win a projected 93

Cubs - will win a projected 90

Diamondbacks - will win a projected 90

Cards - will win a projected 89

-Of course every projection I make depends on teams overall health. Look what happened to the Giants last season when they lost Bumgarner!

Archived