Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Here are the teams in each League that have had the best records to win it all since 1980. Pretty much since I have been watching.

-The ultimate Final 4:

National League

1986 NY Mets 108-54 vs 2016 Chicago Cubs 103-58

Game 1 starters = Dwight Gooden vs Jon Lester at NY

Game 2 starters = Ron Darling vs Jake Arrieta at NY

Game 3 starters = Bob Ojeda vs Kyle Hendricks at Chicago

Game 4 starters = Sid Fernandez vs John Lackey at Chicago

Game 5 starters = Dwight Gooden vs Jon Lester if necessary at Chicago

Game 6 starters = Ron Darling vs Jake Arrieta if necessary at NY

Game 7 starters = Bob Ojeda vs Kyle Hendricks if necessary at NY

-Key Hitters to look out for on each team = Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez, and Gary Carter for the Mets. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and Ben Zobrist for the Cubs.

-Key Relievers to watch out for on each team = Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell for the Mets. Aroldis Chapman and Mike Montgomery for the Cubs.

-Managers Davey Johnson for the Mets vs Joe Maddon for the Cubs!

American League

1998 NY Yankees 114-48 vs 1984 Detroit Tigers 104-58

Game 1 starters = Andy Pettitte vs Jack Morris at NY

Game 2 starters = David Wells vs Dan Petry at NY

Game 3 starters = David Cone vs Milt Wilcox at Detroit

Game 4 starters = Orlando Hernandez vs Juan Berenguer at Detroit

Game 5 starters = Andy Pettitte vs Jack Morris if necessary at Detroit

Game 6 starters = David Wells vs Dan Petry if necessary at NY

Game 7 starters = David Cone vs Milt Wilcox if necessary at NY

-Key Hitters to look out for on each team = Derek Jeter, Scott Brosius, and Bernie Williams for the Yankees. Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell, and Lance Parrish for the Tigers.

-Key Relievers to watch out for on each team = Mariano Rivera and Ramiro Mendoza for the Yankees. Willie Hernandez and Aurelio Lopez for the Tigers.

-Managers Joe Torre for the Yankees vs Sparky Anderson for the Tigers!

Enjoy :popcorn:

Latest rumor on Jake Arrieta is the Phillies appear to be his destination. They want him badly and he has friends that play on that team. I am fine with that if it happens because if he went to the Yankees or Dodgers that would've made those teams unbelievable. I am not sure how much Philly is offering him though, nobody is saying.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:48 PM, buccolts said:

I only saw that one.

What else did they change? 

(Copying and pasting from earlier post)

Umpires will enforce Rule 6.02(d), which requires hitters to keep one foot in the box during an at-bat, subject to certain exceptions.

• Timers will be used to ensure that the game resumes promptly at the end of inning breaks.

• Managers will no longer come out of the dugout to initiate a replay challenge. A manager will also keep his challenge after each call that is overturned. Last year, a challenge was retained only after the first overturned call.    Linky

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

(Copying and pasting from earlier post)

Umpires will enforce Rule 6.02(d), which requires hitters to keep one foot in the box during an at-bat, subject to certain exceptions.

• Timers will be used to ensure that the game resumes promptly at the end of inning breaks.

• Managers will no longer come out of the dugout to initiate a replay challenge. A manager will also keep his challenge after each call that is overturned. Last year, a challenge was retained only after the first overturned call.    Linky

Thanks, and sorry, I didn't go back to notice it had already been posted. My bad.

*** Seemingly a silly rule, but I do remember some batters walking around, playing mind games (I suppose), so I can see value in it.

*** Seems kinda High Schoolish.

• Managers will no longer come out of the dugout to initiate a replay challenge. A manager will also keep his challenge after each call that is overturned. Last year, a challenge was retained only after the first overturned call.

*** I'm for it.

I'm for speeding up the game, in general. I dont' want to take away from the game itself, but a lot of antics are just a waste, and can turn a game into a bore, especially in the American League.

Mike Maddux has total control of the Cards pitching staff including , moves to the Pen. I love it never been a fan of Matheny when it came to that . His philosophy is different all together . I love what I'm reading . Plus having Hosea Okindo back on third as well as infield coach and a great positioning coach . Mathenys  control has diminished does that mean anything who knows time will tell.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He may be content at this point. He has his Championship and has won a Cy Young so now maybe he just wants to play with his friends in Phllly and get that 1 last big check :dunno:

Seems like it because they aren't contending any time soon..I always thought Arrieta was a competitive guy..

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Seems like it because they aren't contending any time soon..I always thought Arrieta was a competitive guy..

Jake has always been real competitive but he is older and knows he only has a chance at 1 more big payday. Having a Ring can even make a lot of competitive players somewhat content. It's not over though, he hasn't signed with the CheeseSteak Heads yet. I still wouldn't be shocked if the Yankees or Dodgers offer him a bunch of money and he takes it.

On February 21, 2018 at 7:17 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For not staying with the Cubs I hope Jake gains 100 pounds eating those Cheese Steaks and fails lmao :sarcasm:

They can keep their cheesesteaks(although i do enjoy them), Chicago style Italian Beef for the win baby!!!!:rock:

On February 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM, NFLfan said:

Quote:

"Major League Baseball announced there will be rule changes concerning pace of play, with mound visits being limited.

Mound visits are limited to six per team, per nine innings. If a game goes to extra innings, each team is limited to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning.

The rule that a pitcher must be removed on a second mound visit in an inning remains in effect."

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/02/19/pace-play-mound-visits

Apparently it's not just manager visits.....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22518158/chicago-cubs-willson-contreras-set-fight-limit-mound-visits

Although I think his mound visits can be a little excessive, I love the fact that he's willing to pay the fine if he feels the need to make a visit, that's awesome!!!!! Love that dude!!!! 

Is is it baseball season yet?

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too. Having MLB TV is huge. I watch it quite a bit.

Ya, I ended up having for the last month last year cuz students were able to get it for free. This year I decided to buy it since I was going to be out of market for half of the season. Im happy that the giants are broadcasting the game today

5 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya, I ended up having for the last month last year cuz students were able to get it for free. This year I decided to buy it since I was going to be out of market for half of the season. Im happy that the giants are broadcasting the game today

How do you feel about the Darvish signing? I am ok with it but I like Jake better. I still think we win the Division, probably win around 90 games or so. It will take 90 to win it IMO. The Cubs lineup is still very solid with Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras, etc.. I am not sure we have the fire power to beat LA though? Yankees and Astros are loaded too in the AL.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How do you feel about the Darvish signing? I am ok with it but I like Jake better. I still think we win the Division, probably win around 90 games or so. It will take 90 to win it IMO. The Cubs lineup is still very solid with Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras, etc.. I am not sure we have the fire power to beat LA though? Yankees and Astros are loaded too in the AL.

I mean i like the Darvish signing. No matter what Jake did here, the last year or so you saw him starting to become a less high upside starter. Darvish I can still see it with him having so many pitches and a regular delivery. I figure 90 games to, but with our potential on offense we can surely win more. Pitching I hope we can stay healthy and perform to their abilities

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I mean i like the Darvish signing. No matter what Jake did here, the last year or so you saw him starting to become a less high upside starter. Darvish I can still see it with him having so many pitches and a regular delivery. I figure 90 games to, but with our potential on offense we can surely win more. Pitching I hope we can stay healthy and perform to their abilities

Yeah Jake lost 2 MPH off his fast ball last season so he may not have a good year where ever plays. Darvish had a terrible WS, I hope he puts that behind him. I am not sure how much Lester has left in the tank either? Pitching is my main concern because of the BullPen too. The Cubs lineup I love though. Maybe we just outscore teams this season to win games?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Jake lost 2 MPH off his fast ball last season so he may not have a good year where ever plays. Darvish had a terrible WS, I hope he puts that behind him. I am not sure how much Lester has left in the tank either? Pitching is my main concern because of the BullPen too. The Cubs lineup I love though. Maybe we just outscore teams this season to win games?

With the Darvish WS problems, it seems as though he was tipping his pitches. He had done it in the past and was able to fix it. Hopefully that was the problem again. Jake i feel will go down fast. Hopefully with Morrow and Cishek added now will help the pen out. Also Strop and Edwards can be great hopefully they get that feel back

35 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

mlb.tv is a great thing to have especially for ST. I get to watch the cubs game today. And living in MO now I will get to see cubs play regular season during school

It is good to see a young guy like you enjoy baseball the way those of us over 35 do. So many folks your age will not sit down and watch two innings of baseball. 

Do you think the rules changes will help those of your generation watch baseball more?

Thanks for your feedback. Looking forward to a season of baseball discussion and fun. 

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

With the Darvish WS problems, it seems as though he was tipping his pitches. He had done it in the past and was able to fix it. Hopefully that was the problem again. Jake i feel will go down fast. Hopefully with Morrow and Cishek added now will help the pen out. Also Strop and Edwards can be great hopefully they get that feel back

Yeah in 2016 Edwards was really Good, last season he seemed inconsistent. The 8th Inning always seemed like a Bad Inning for the Cubs. I have no idea why but the BullPen gave up a lot of runs in that Inning. Jake could flop, who knows. Maybe the Cubs seen something with him they didn't like? Theo Epstein is much smarter than me so I will defer to him.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

It is good to see a young guy like you enjoy baseball the way those of us over 35 do. So many folks your age will not sit down and watch two innings of baseball. 

Do you think the rules changes will help those of your generation watch baseball more.

Thanks for your feedback. Looking forward to a season of baseball discussion and fun. 

For me I've always been big on sports and Baseball Basketball and Football have been much easier for me to understand and follow closely, but I do watch Soccer and Hockey too. I do know that we've been able to get my young 2 & 4 year old nephews watching the game. 

On the rule change I honestly don't think it is going to make a difference with my generation. It still gonna be slower than most sports and a lot of dead time. Some of the ways that they could get my age group more engaged would be to have an easier way for us to watch our teams games. Right now Im paying 75$ for mlb.tv which for many college students is too much. They also could find away to allow players to be more interactive with the players online and all

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah in 2016 Edwards was really Good, last season he seemed inconsistent. The 8th Inning always seemed like a Bad Inning for the Cubs. I have no idea why but the BullPen gave up a lot of runs in that Inning. Jake could flop, who knows. Maybe the Cubs seen something with him they didn't like? Theo Epstein is much smarter than me so I will defer to him.

Ya our 8th inning run total was ridiculous. Hopefully CJ gets his mojo back. He had a bad year and ended up making his profile on twitter private due to the things people were saying towards him. I do feel like the team had a good reason they didnt try as hard to get Jake back. I hope that they knew why they didn't and they way Epstein been in the past should help ease our worry

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya our 8th inning run total was ridiculous. Hopefully CJ gets his mojo back. He had a bad year and ended up making his profile on twitter private due to the things people were saying towards him. I do feel like the team had a good reason they didnt try as hard to get Jake back. I hope that they knew why they didn't and they way Epstein been in the past should help ease our worry

Yeah Epstein is a genius IMO the way he built the Cubs, so I have to trust him. 3 straight NLCS's and a WS Title, I just need to be happy and trust our FO.

19 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For me I've always been big on sports and Baseball Basketball and Football have been much easier for me to understand and follow closely, but I do watch Soccer and Hockey too. I do know that we've been able to get my young 2 & 4 year old nephews watching the game. 

On the rule change I honestly don't think it is going to make a difference with my generation. It still gonna be slower than most sports and a lot of dead time. Some of the ways that they could get my age group more engaged would be to have an easier way for us to watch our teams games. Right now Im paying 75$ for mlb.tv which for many college students is too much. They also could find away to allow players to be more interactive with the players online and all

$75! I hope that is for the year. 

Your recommendations would go a long way to help younger fans watch baseball. I also believe that decreasing ticket prices for some games would help. When I was a little bit older than you, I would take my nephews and my niece to games. (They are about your age.) I could get tickets to sit in the back rows of the mezzanine and the section below that (the loge) for $6 each. Now, some baseball tickets cost about as much as tickets to a football game. I would not be able to go with them as frequently now. 

If you ever get a chance, go to a spring training game. The players are a lot more accessible there. I got to meet a lot of players in Florida. 

Archived