Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

I am not sure where this 2018 Red Sox team ranks all-time but they are way up there. Since I have been watching Baseball which is roughly since the late 70's (79ish, I remember watching the Pirates beat the Orioles as a young kid in 1979 because I had a friend that liked the Pirates), the 1998 Yankees are the best I have seen in my 40 years of watching Baseball. They went 114-48! My honorable mentions are the 1986 Mets who went 108-54, the 1984 Tigers who went 104-58, and the 2016 Cubs who went 103-58. That is just my opinions. This 108-54 Red Sox team belongs in this discussion obviously.  

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RockThatBlue, when you get a chance can you change our Title to 'All MLB 2019 Red Sox Repeat ?', just take 2018 Astros out and insert 2019 Red Sox. Thank you kind sir. If @Jay Kirk wants something different he will let me know and I can let you know at that point. Thanks my friend and how about those Wildcats in College Football :thmup:

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure where this 2018 Red Sox team ranks all-time but they are way up there. Since I have been watching Baseball which is roughly since the late 70's (79ish, I remember watching the Pirates beat the Orioles as a young kid in 1979 because I had a friend that liked the Pirates), the 1998 Yankees are the best I have seen in my 40 years of watching Baseball. They went 114-48! My honorable mentions are the 1986 Mets who went 108-54, the 1984 Tigers who went 104-58, and the 2016 Cubs who went 103-58. That is just my opinions. This 108-54 Red Sox team belongs in this discussion obviously.  

1986 Mets>>>> 2018 Red Sox  :thmup:

I agree with you about the 1998 Yankees. 

Too bad that 2001 Seattle team that won about 116 games did not win the World Series that year. That team may go down as the best team record-wise never to win the World Series. I thought Randy Johnson, Griffey and Arod were on that team but they had already moved on. How time flies! That team had Ichiro, Edgar Martinez, Mike Cameron, an older John Olerud but not many other well-known guys. To win 116 games with very few star players is impressive. 

Look at  their starters: 

20181029_133217.jpg

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

1986 Mets>>>> 2018 Red Sox  :thmup:

I agree with you about the 1998 Yankees. 

Too bad that 2001 Seattle team that won about 116 games did not win the World Series that year. That team may go down as the best team record-wise never to win the World Series. I thought Randy Johnson, Griffey and Arod were on that team but they had already moved on. How time flies! That team had Ichiro, Edgar Martinez, Mike Cameron, an older John Olerud but not many other well-known guys. To win 116 games with very few star players is impressive. 

Look at  their starters: 

20181029_133217.jpg

Yes that was a Very Good team because they didn't win the WS I can't label them Great but I do not see any other team ever winning 116 games again. They lost to the Yankees in the ALCS 4-1 that season. I have to give a team like the 1995 Braves their props as well, they dominated the whole decade of the 90's is why and did win in 1995. Their Pitching staff is arguably the best of all-time.

5 minutes ago, HOZER said:

True, True, how could I forget, lol. I’m a bit curious to see how my Boilers will fare without Haas, Edwards, and Thompson.

Carson should keep you guys afloat. I don't see why you wouldn't still be in the top 4 or 5 in the B1G and make the tournament. You guys fell to W Virginia in a closed scrimmage 95-89. WV is a good team and although there were without 2 starters they are a very tough opponent...especially their ball pressure.

Cline had a really good game I think he had 27 so that was very promising. Carson scored 22 he was only 5-15 from the floor...but I would expect his efficiency to be better in the future. Not a bad game against a tough opponent. I really look for them to improve as the team learns to play without those leaders!

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Carson should keep you guys afloat. I don't see why you wouldn't still be in the top 4 or 5 in the B1G and make the tournament. You guys fell to W Virginia in a closed scrimmage 95-89. WV is a good team and although there were without 2 starters they are a very tough opponent...especially their ball pressure.

Cline had a really good game I think he had 27 so that was very promising. Carson scored 22 he was only 5-15 from the floor...but I would expect his efficiency to be better in the future. Not a bad game against a tough opponent. I really look for them to improve as the team learns to play without those leaders!

That definitely sounds promising, I also forgot Mathias, our sniper, that will be a huge loss. I believe this will be our last year with Carson, he tested the NBA waters after last season but decided to stay. If he has a great year, he gone.:Cry:

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@RockThatBlue, when you get a chance can you change our Title to 'All MLB 2019 Red Sox Repeat ?', just take 2018 Astros out and insert 2019 Red Sox. Thank you kind sir. If @Jay Kirk wants something different he will let me know and I can let you know at that point. Thanks my friend and how about those Wildcats in College Football :thmup:

Nope that's fine Brother .

8 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

He just doesn't have it when the pressures on.

I wonder if pitchers that rely on a lot of  movement and breaking balls don’t fair worse in Oct when temps drop and it seems the ball doesn’t move the same as during the summer? That said guys that live on the edge of the strike zone without overwhelming power pitching like Greg Maddox seem to really struggle in post season or when facing the elite teams. Maybe strike zone shrinks or just facing the leagues best hitters in the WS...not sure it is one thing but it does seem power pitchers seem to fair better when the brightest lights are on because they don’t have to be so perfect but can still win by over powering batters. Getting juiced up in the World Series might mean a guy avg 95 on the gun starts throwing 97-98 and him missing a location doesn’t matter but a guy that gets a little nerves but lives by being precise throwing 90-92 misses and it’s a hit. Who knows but I do feel bad he just hasn’t been able to get over the top. Maybe greatest regular season pitcher of all times...like to get that monkey off his back.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wonder if pitchers that rely on a lot of  movement and breaking balls don’t fair worse in Oct when temps drop and it seems the ball doesn’t move the same as during the summer? That said guys that live on the edge of the strike zone without overwhelming power pitching like Greg Maddox seem to really struggle in post season or when facing the elite teams. Maybe strike zone shrinks or just facing the leagues best hitters in the WS...not sure it is one thing but it does seem power pitchers seem to fair better when the brightest lights are on because they don’t have to be so perfect but can still win by over powering batters. Getting juiced up in the World Series might mean a guy avg 95 on the gun starts throwing 97-98 and him missing a location doesn’t matter but a guy that gets a little nerves but lives by being precise throwing 90-92 misses and it’s a hit. Who knows but I do feel bad he just hasn’t been able to get over the top. Maybe greatest regular season pitcher of all times...like to get that monkey off his back.

I am not sure but he tends to fail in the Postseason alot. In the Postseason here are the records and ERA's of these 3 guys:

Bumgarner 8-3 2.11 (3 Rings)

Jake Arrieta 5-3 3.08 (1 Ring)

Clayton Kershaw 9-10 4.32 (0 Rings)

-That 4.32 ERA is Bad.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think its more mental than physical . Maybe some press and just try to be to fine. Pitching the right way is 50 / 50 physical and mental . The name of the game is keeping a hitter off balance. 

15 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I think its more mental than physical . Maybe some press and just try to be to fine. Pitching the right way is 50 / 50 physical and mental . The name of the game is keeping a hitter off balance. 

Yes but isn’t there science that breaking balls don’t spin as much in cold weather or possibly it’s the pitchers finger tips or grip? Just seems like hard throwers fare better than the finesse guys but maybe I’m thinking too much about it.

I read today that the great Willie McCovey died yesterday. I never saw him play but when I used to listen to people talk about baseball history, his name came up often. Some older Giants fans were bigger fans of McCovey than they were of Willie Mays. It is hard to believe but that shows how beloved a player he was. 

He was 80 years old. Rest in peace, Willie.

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

Hamels and Strop will be back next season, Smyly to Texas. Heyward also let opt out expire!!! Good stuff so far...now who gets traded/cut......

I figured or at least hoped Hamels would be back. Strop will be our Closer next season so I am ok with that. I bet Theo picks up a big name Free Agent, he doesn't mess around. I would trade Darvish for Jake, come on Philly just do it :billiejean::monkeydance::funny:

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

So Heyward's gone? You guys did have a surplus of outfielders. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Heyward is gone IMO, Probably play Bote at 3rd and move Bryant to LF permanently so he doesn't risk shoulder injury, easy position to play. Zobrist can play RF, Almora will play Center.

No, he’s staying, just means he let the deadline pass for exercising opt-out provisions in his contract. Cubs also picked up option on Quintana, also good news. Looks like Wilson could possibly be out.

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

No, he’s staying, just means he let the deadline pass for exercising opt-out provisions in his contract. Cubs also picked up option on Quintana, also good news. Looks like Wilson could possibly be out.

Glad Wilson may be out, yeah see above I got confused. I like Heyward anyway, hope he stays. 

As we know Free Agency has already begun. Here are some other key dates:

November 4th: Gold Glove winners will be announced

November 5th: MLB Executive of the Year announced

November 6th-9th: General managers meetings in Cali

November 7th: Defensive Players of the Year announced

November 12th: Rookies of the Year announced

November 13th: Managers of the Year announced

November 14th: Cy Young Awards announced

November 15th: MVP Awards announced

December 9th-13th: Winter meetings in Las Vegas 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:01 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jules, congrats on your Championship it was well deserved. Boston has an awesome team. Like the Cubs in 2016, they were the best all year from start to finish in 2018.

Thanks, I am late to the party. And yes did my husband and I party. lmao 

This might even be the best Red Sox team of all time?

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Thanks, I am late to the party. And yes did my husband and I party. lmao 

This might even be the best Red Sox team of all time?

It is the best Red Sox team of all-time IMO. They really do not have any weaknesses. 2004 was special because they ended the curse and came back to beat to the Yankees in the ALCS down 0-3 but this Sox team is the best they have had. I don't blame you for partying :thmup:, when the Cubs won it all in 2016, I did it up as well :cheers:

Archived