Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs are tough to figure out. Some days they look like they can win the WS, other days they look like a team that doesn't belong in the Playoffs. The inconsistent play is very bothersome. Cubs are down 2-0 to the Nats already and Hendricks is upto his inconsistencies again. We need Kris Bryant, Yu Darvish, and Brandon Morrow back, back at 100%. It amazes me that we are in 1st place in the NL Central here on August 10th with the injuries and inconsistent play that the Cubs have had. The NL Central is a solid Division.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, NFLfan said:

I disagree with signing a bunch of free agents, especially high-priced ones. This is why we cannot sustain any success. Winning comes from drafting well and making smart trades for young players that will grow together. Old teams don't win anymore.  Mets have never had success with free agent hitters. Trades have worked better but not great. Do you you remember telling me that you thought Neil Walker was better for the Mets than Murphy? Walker was not bad but he was not great. He is no longer with the Mets. I would have preferred Murph. Murph used to get on base consistently. We have not had that since he left. 

I don't want Machado or any other high-priced player. I was disappointed that they re-signed Cespedes. I want youth, speed, and guys who hit for average.

I wish the Mets built the team like the Vikings do. 

Machado is Young entering his prime. All he cost is money...no picks no prospects your owner just needs to spend. He is what 1-1000 prospects HOPE to turn into. You want to maximize your opportunity with your staff then you make moves now. What are you waiting for. There is a reason the Yankees are the Yankees and Mets are the Mets. One spends the other doesn’t. If your not willing to sign a guy like Machado then you will never sign a premier free agent. Add Ceapedes back to him and a couple pieces around that lineup..a couple young guys step up..a closer to the back end and you are odds on favorite to play in the WS...your staff in the playoffs?? It would be nasty. If you try to develop a bunch of young guys your pitchers will be gone or old by the time they are ready. History favors the bold. You were patient you built a great staff...now you just need to add some hitters and that team could easily win it’s division. I mean you aren’t paying the bills and there is no salary cap...so who cares!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Machado is Young entering his prime. All he cost is money...no picks no prospects your owner just needs to spend. He is what 1-1000 prospects HOPE to turn into. You want to maximize your opportunity with your staff then you make moves now. What are you waiting for. There is a reason the Yankees are the Yankees and Mets are the Mets. One spends the other doesn’t. If your not willing to sign a guy like Machado then you will never sign a premier free agent. Add Ceapedes back to him and a couple pieces around that lineup..a couple young guys step up..a closer to the back end and you are odds on favorite to play in the WS...your staff in the playoffs?? It would be nasty. If you try to develop a bunch of young guys your pitchers will be gone or old by the time they are ready. History favors the bold. You were patient you built a great staff...now you just need to add some hitters and that team could easily win it’s division. I mean you aren’t paying the bills and there is no salary cap...so who cares!

I care. I want to win with young, hungry players. What has signing Cespedes done for us? (When he helped us to get to the World Series, that was a trade. He has not done much since he signed the big deal.)  The Mets have never done well with free agents. All free agents played better with their previous teams than they did with the Mets. Mets need to develop players and keep them. 

I don't want the Mets to be the Yankees. Let the Yankees win with free agents. Check out which teams are doing well. They all have home-grown players. That's what I want. 

Let's agree to disagree on this.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Cubs are tough to figure out. Some days they look like they can win the WS, other days they look like a team that doesn't belong in the Playoffs. The inconsistent play is very bothersome. Cubs are down 2-0 to the Nats already and Hendricks is upto his inconsistencies again. We need Kris Bryant, Yu Darvish, and Brandon Morrow back, back at 100%. It amazes me that we are in 1st place in the NL Central here on August 10th with the injuries and inconsistent play that the Cubs have had. The NL Central is a solid Division.

Hendricks today was getting unlucky. Cubs were hitting it hard were getting no hit. Nats were hitting it weak getting singles and bloops. If you saw the early part of game cubs shouldve been up and Hendricks pitch count may have been down. He was not getting border calls at all. If he isnt getting that his thing is going to look much worst

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brewers lost 10-1 :funny:

NL Central Standings as August 10th:

1. Cubs 67-48 *best record in the NL

2. Brewers 66-53 (3 back)

3. Cardinals 61-55 (6.5 back)

4. Pirates 60-57 (8 back)

5. Reds 51-65 (16.5 back)

-If the Brewers don't watch it, the Cards may pass them!

The Cards are playing very good baseball right now , and doing it with youth . Of course it doesn't hurt that Carpenter woke up. I must admit I was about done with him. Whatever the problem its been figured out . Paul DeJong heating back up after missing a month and ahalf or more with the Broken hand. Young bull pen has become very good. They are well within striking distance of the Wild Card . If they make it they will be dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

The Cards are playing very good baseball right now , and doing it with youth . Of course it doesn't hurt that Carpenter woke up. I must admit I was about done with him. Whatever the problem its been figured out . Paul DeJong heating back up after missing a month and ahalf or more with the Broken hand. Young bull pen has become very good. They are well within striking distance of the Wild Card . If they make it they will be dangerous.

They are looking much better. Carpenter is a monster. They are only 6.5 back of the Cubs as well. Only 3.5 behind the Brewers.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are looking much better. Carpenter is a monster. They are only 6.5 back of the Cubs as well. Only 3.5 behind the Brewers.

Not that I like baseball played that way , if I were the other team I wouldn't pitch to him. However the Marlins tried that a couple times and it backfired , DeJong and Molina made them pay.

Just now, Jay Kirk said:

Not that I like baseball played that way , if I were the other team I wouldn't pitch to him. However the Marlins tried that a couple times and it backfired , DeJong and Molina made them pay.

That's how great Carpenter has been, they would rather face Molina :funny:, that in itself is a disaster waiting to happen for the opponent.

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

O'Neil real close to return adds even more speed and power.

It may very well it end up Cubs and Cards in 1st and 2nd. Cards still scare me a bit because the Cubs still play them a few more times too. I think it would be cool to see the Cubs and Cards both in the Playoffs. Just from a rivalry standpoint. The Brewers are just a dull franchise with no Championships lmao 

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I care. I want to win with young, hungry players. What has signing Cespedes done for us? (When he helped us to get to the World Series, that was a trade. He has not done much since he signed the big deal.)  The Mets have never done well with free agents. All free agents played better with their previous teams than they did with the Mets. Mets need to develop players and keep them. 

I don't want the Mets to be the Yankees. Let the Yankees win with free agents. Check out which teams are doing well. They all have home-grown players. That's what I want. 

Let's agree to disagree on this.

Nobody is winning with just home grown players. Houston wouldn't have won the world series without trading for Verlander, Boston signed JD Martinez to a huge deal, Yankees do the same, Cubs go out and buy Lester and Heyward and Chapman....everyone supplements their youth...and I totally get that you've done an AMAZING job of that staff but you can't let one bad signing deter you from doing what is the right thing. You need offense bad...and if you wait til your young guys are ready half that staff won't be there any longer. Now is the time to make moves and the great thing about a free agent like Machado is he only cost money. You don't have to give up a thing. You can't win with just your own guys...if you don't like Machado or Harper on their skills that's fine then you are going to have to make a trade. But if you wait til your young guys are ready (who may or may not ever make anything of themselves) that excellent pitching staff will all be playing for another team I'm afraid. I think you just don't trust your management to make the right moves and I get that..but the right move is to go all in now for the next 3-4 years while that staff is in its prime. In 6-7 years yes those big contracts you have to pay the piper but you have a chance now if you play it right. Eventually you have to spend money and acquire guys...a couple batters and a reliever to go with your young hungry guys and you have a great shot!

4 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

On paper you guys should definitely be in the playoff hunt this year. A lot of things went wrong...players hurt...young guys making bad errors...some bumps in bull pen etc...but it is really coming together and now that lineup is all hitting at the same time. I don't want to face you!

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Hendricks today was getting unlucky. Cubs were hitting it hard were getting no hit. Nats were hitting it weak getting singles and bloops. If you saw the early part of game cubs shouldve been up and Hendricks pitch count may have been down. He was not getting border calls at all. If he isnt getting that his thing is going to look much worst

Hendricks when pitching well hits the corners and gets guys to hit weakly. Kind of amazing since he doesn't throw that hard but he just puts the ball in a place where they can't really barrel it up. If he isn't getting calls he has to put it more over the plate and that spells disaster. He just has a low margin for error.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nobody is winning with just home grown players. Houston wouldn't have won the world series without trading for Verlander, Boston signed JD Martinez to a huge deal, Yankees do the same, Cubs go out and buy Lester and Heyward and Chapman....everyone supplements their youth...and I totally get that you've done an AMAZING job of that staff but you can't let one bad signing deter you from doing what is the right thing. You need offense bad...and if you wait til your young guys are ready half that staff won't be there any longer. Now is the time to make moves and the great thing about a free agent like Machado is he only cost money. You don't have to give up a thing. You can't win with just your own guys...if you don't like Machado or Harper on their skills that's fine then you are going to have to make a trade. But if you wait til your young guys are ready (who may or may not ever make anything of themselves) that excellent pitching staff will all be playing for another team I'm afraid. I think you just don't trust your management to make the right moves and I get that..but the right move is to go all in now for the next 3-4 years while that staff is in its prime. In 6-7 years yes those big contracts you have to pay the piper but you have a chance now if you play it right. Eventually you have to spend money and acquire guys...a couple batters and a reliever to go with your young hungry guys and you have a great shot!

Once we have built our core, then we can trade for veterans or sign veterans. I have no problem with that. But we are far from being a good team. Those teams you mentioned that signed free agents and are doing well all have a core of good young players.

As I wrote, see how the Vikings have built the team. Build the core and then sign veterans (Cousins and Sheldon Richardson). I have no problem with that.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Once we have built our core, then we can trade for veterans or sign veterans. I have no problem with that. But we are far from being a good team. 

As I wrote, see how the Vikings have built the team. Build the core and then sign veterans (Cousins and Sheldon Richardson). I have no problem with that.

I appreciate that....but football and baseball are very different imo. You have your core. That pitching staff is fabulous!! You just need to add some run production and tinker with the bullpen. You only have a small window until guys like Degrom etc will be moving on if you don't show him you want to win now. Mets just typically are cheap. They won't commit to winning because they are afraid that then they will have expectations...if you don't win with expectations then you lose your job. It's a weak front office if you ask me. Based on what they have they can make moves to win their division I fully believe it. I think your biggest issue is your front office more than the core of players. But if your happy having more seasons like this one and then watch all those aces walk...be my guest.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I appreciate that....but football and baseball are very different imo. You have your core. That pitching staff is fabulous!! You just need to add some run production and tinker with the bullpen. You only have a small window until guys like Degrom etc will be moving on if you don't show him you want to win now. Mets just typically are cheap. They won't commit to winning because they are afraid that then they will have expectations...if you don't win with expectations then you lose your job. It's a weak front office if you ask me. Based on what they have they can make moves to win their division I fully believe it. I think your biggest issue is your front office more than the core of players. But if your happy having more seasons like this one and then watch all those aces walk...be my guest.

We don't have a core -- just some starting pitchers. That's it. We need guys who can get on base, guys with speed, guys who will play good defense. We need a closer and some relievers. Machado doesn't fill all the holes we have. It will be a waste of money, the same way we are wasting money on Cespedes. Pitching is not enough. See deGrom. We have nobody who can hit. Are we going to sign 6-7 free agents?

I added to my last post, but you may not have seen it. If you look at the teams you mentioned before, they all added free agents AFTER they had a core of good players. That is what I want the Mets to do.

44 minutes ago, HOZER said:

My My WTH has happened to Lester....Cubs down 9-1 in the 4th. Gross.

Yeah imagine if you were a huge Cubs fan all pumped up that had never been to a Cubs game before, then went to a game like this :facepalm:. Paid to watch this LOL. I get losing, you can't win them all but these blowout losses are ridiculous. Theo should give the fans their money back.

Furthermore I give this game a BIGFATBUTT BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What a Wrigley experience HeeHaw!

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah imagine if you were a huge Cubs fan all pumped up that had never been to a Cubs game before, then went to a game like this :facepalm:. Paid to watch this LOL. I get losing, you can't win them all but these blowout losses are ridiculous. Theo should give the fans their money back.

Furthermore I give this game a BIGFATBUTT BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What a Wrigley experience HeeHaw!

I have been to a couple of those games as well as similar Colts games, it is very disheartening!  Crappy way to lose your hard earned money but I guess one teams going to win and ones gotta lose. :dunno: I’m with you these slow starts and suspect pitching is rather concerning, especially with the Cards heating up.

6 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I have been to a couple of those games as well as the Colts games that result is the same way it is very disheartening!  I have been a couple of those games as well as Colts games that result is the same way it is very disheartening. Crappy way to lose your hard earned money but I guess one teams going to win and ones gotta lose. :dunno: I’m with you these slow starts and suspect pitching is rather concerning, especially with the Cards heating up.

Yep. We need to pray Hamels keeps Pitching well and Darvish comes back with a fresh arm. I don't mind losing but games like 9-0, 9-1, etc.. I mean JEEZ! I can handle something like even 7-4, everyone has a bad day but when we do we take it to the next level :funny:

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

We don't have a core -- just some starting pitchers. That's it. We need guys who can get on base, guys with speed, guys who will play good defense. We need a closer and some relievers. Machado doesn't fill all the holes we have. It will be a waste of money, the same way we are wasting money on Cespedes. Pitching is not enough. See deGrom. We have nobody who can hit. Are we going to sign 6-7 free agents?

I added to my last post, but you may not have seen it. If you look at the teams you mentioned before, they all added free agents AFTER they had a core of good players. That is what I want the Mets to do.

I just think that pitching core is good enough. You don’t have to score runs like the Cubs or Yankees to win. You just need consistent 3-4 runs a night. Bring in a couple big bats to help drive runs in and show you are working to something. Otherwise who are you waiting on to come up and be your core? David Wright is back in single A...maybe a year or two he will have worked his way to the bigs again...or are we waiting on Tebow? Love the guy but he ain’t helping you. If you are not ready to build your team around the staff you have now...then you should trade them because it’s pointless to do nothing and wait for help from your minors when you will lose your pitchers for nothing by the time anyone develops. You honestly don’t need much scoring with a staff like that. Hey I get it...putting a team together like Houston or Chicago is the model...but you don’t have the talent in the minors to get there in the next 3-4 years...in the meantime you wasted your staff. Go all in or trade them...doing nothing is just an insult to the fans you deserve better.

that staff could be the Atlanta Braves of the 90s...just keep adding offensive pieces...some meat in the middle of the line up...then build around that but the front office has no vision...you but or sell this offseason...you can’t do nothing and wait.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I just think that pitching core is good enough. You don’t have to score runs like the Cubs or Yankees to win. You just need consistent 3-4 runs a night. Bring in a couple big bats to help drive runs in and show you are working to something. Otherwise who are you waiting on to come up and be your core? David Wright is back in single A...maybe a year or two he will have worked his way to the bigs again...or are we waiting on Tebow? Love the guy but he ain’t helping you. If you are not ready to build your team around the staff you have now...then you should trade them because it’s pointless to do nothing and wait for help from your minors when you will lose your pitchers for nothing by the time anyone develops. You honestly don’t need much scoring with a staff like that. Hey I get it...putting a team together like Houston or Chicago is the model...but you don’t have the talent in the minors to get there in the next 3-4 years...in the meantime you wasted your staff. Go all in or trade them...doing nothing is just an insult to the fans you deserve better.

that staff could be the Atlanta Braves of the 90s...just keep adding offensive pieces...some meat in the middle of the line up...then build around that but the front office has no vision...you but or sell this offseason...you can’t do nothing and wait.

We have a pitcher with a sub-2 ERA (1.77) and he does not even have 7 wins. His record is 6-7. We need guys who can get on base and get hits. Also, it is boring to watch a game with no offense taking place. I like NL baseball with guys getting on base, moving runners over, using their speed to make things happen (like how the Cubs do it). I am not a fan of the home run. They say, "Chicks dig the long ball". Not this chick. haha It seems that guys like HRs a lot more than I do. 

So, bring on the kids and bring some exciting baseball to Flushing.  

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Once we have built our core, then we can trade for veterans or sign veterans. I have no problem with that. But we are far from being a good team. Those teams you mentioned that signed free agents and are doing well all have a core of good young players.

If you look at the Cards , it is mostly home grown talent with a few pieces from outside sprinkled in. The Cubs are kinda the same way . The core needs to come from inside and then you build around it. Most teams cant afford a merry go round of FA's . That being said if you see one that fits in your chemistry that will make a big difference in the scheme of things you have to pull the trigger . I would not want a bunch of them such as the Yankees have , and they have had some very good success doing it , but they have also had some great teams on paper that flopped. So in my opinion there is no totally right answer , that's the reason GM's make good money.

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

We have a pitcher with a sub-2 ERA (1.77) and he does not even have 7 wins. His record is 6-7. We need guys who can get on base and get hits. Also, it is boring to watch a game with no offense taking place. I like NL baseball with guys getting on base, moving runners over, using their speed to make things happen (like how the Cubs do it). I am not a fan of the home run. They say, "Chicks dig the long ball". Not this chick. haha It seems that guys like HRs a lot more than I do. 

So, bring on the kids and bring some exciting baseball to Flushing.  

Absolutely ! He is probably the premier pitcher in the league right now.

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

On paper you guys should definitely be in the playoff hunt this year. A lot of things went wrong...players hurt...young guys making bad errors...some bumps in bull pen etc...but it is really coming together and now that lineup is all hitting at the same time. I don't want to face you!

They have really played very good defense as well which to me is a breath of fresh air . There's no excuse for bad fundamentals . 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards are now only 5.5 back of Chicago. Too bad the Brewers won last night but I suspect the Braves will beat them today. Cubs have their hands full tonight with Scherzer.

I believe it very well comes down to what we said first of the year. The Brewers are better than they were I just don't think their pitching will carry them to the end. However I have been wrong before.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I believe it very well comes down to what we said first of the year. The Brewers are better than they were I just don't think their pitching will carry them to the end. However I have been wrong before.

This may be a 4 team race if the Cubs keep playing .500 ball. Pirates are no slouch either.

18 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

If you look at the Cards , it is mostly home grown talent with a few pieces from outside sprinkled in. The Cubs are kinda the same way . The core needs to come from inside and then you build around it. 

That is what I want. Build your core and add a player here and there to complement or bolster the team. But you must have that core. One or two players cannot fix a broken team like the Mets. 

Archived