Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

14 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Yu has been questionable to me since his Dodger days, he blew it for them when they needed him the most in the postseason. Ok I’ll give him 2 “decent” starts where he made it into the 6th inning. He’s shown the propensity to not go deep there for putting more stress on our sometimes shaky bullpen. There’s reports of him not feeling confident and being worried about fans feeling about him....not good. I guess I expect someone that signs a 6 year 126 million contract to be a stud right out of the box, especially when he replaced one. I really hope he turns it around.

I agree, for that amount of money dude should be like Jake. He isn't unfortunately. I just want him to be Good, not even Jake.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GOZER said:

Yu has been questionable to me since his Dodger days, he blew it for them when they needed him the most in the postseason. Ok I’ll give him 2 “decent” starts where he made it into the 6th inning. He’s shown the propensity to not go deep there for putting more stress on our sometimes shaky bullpen. There’s reports of him not feeling confident and being worried about fans feeling about him....not good. I guess I expect someone that signs a 6 year 126 million contract to be a stud right out of the box, especially when he replaced one. I really hope he turns it around.

Yu with the not confident and about fans it has changed in the last couple days, I agree he should be performing better than he has been. The Dodgers it was WS remember him against us in playoffs he absolutely dominated us

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Cubs bats are so streaky. How they get so quiet baffles me. Who knows...keeps up like this maybe they do make a trade deadline move. Hard to imagine.

The Bats were like that last year too. One game we score 8 Runs, then the next 0. Doesn't make much sense. Tough to watch the Cubs at times because you don't know what team will show up?

-Cubs win 13-5 over the Cards. That was a thrashing and Bryant came out of his slump! 2-4 with a HR. Ok we are officially halfway through June so it is time to actually grade each team. We have had 2.5 months of Baseball and June is half over so that is a pretty good sample size to go by. Here is how the NL looks-

-Playoff teams in the NL as of now:

#1 Seed = BrewCrew 42-27 (Division leader in the NL Central)

#2 Seed = Braves 40-29 (Division leader in the NL East)

#3 Seed = D-Backs 39-30 (Division leader in the NL West)

1st Wildcard spot = Cubs 39-27

2nd Wildcard spot = Nats 37-29

NL East Standings (the Contenders)

1. Braves 40-29 - My overall grade for the Braves is a B+

2. Nats 37-29 (1.5 back) - overall grade for the Nats is a B

NL Central Standings (the Contenders)

1. BrewCrew 42-27 - overall grade for the Brewers is an A

2. Cubs 39-27 (1.5 back) - overall grade for the Cubs is a B+ (too inconsistent for an A)

3. Cards 36-31 (5 back) - overall grade for the Cards is a B-

NL West Standings (the Contenders)

1. D-Backs 39-30 - overall grade for the D-Backs is a B

2. Dodgers 36-32 (2.5 back) - overall grade for the Dodgers is a C+ 

-As of now in the AL, the Yankees are 45-20 and have the best record in the league %points ahead of the Redsox who are 48-23. As a Cubs fan the AL really doesn't matter much to me because it has nothing to do where we end up in the Standings. Yankees are the best team in Baseball as of now though. Not surprising so they have earned an A+. I give the Redsox an A, they do have 3 more losses than the Yankees. The defending World Champion Astros are 46-25 and are in 1st place in the AL West. That is good enough for a grade of A as well. The AL has some loaded teams!

-We will see where these teams are at the All-Star break? Fly the Flag Gozer, we won and won big tonight over the Cards.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-Cubs win 13-5 over the Cards. That was a thrashing and Bryant came out of his slump! 2-4 with a HR. Ok we are officially halfway through June so it is time to actually grade each team. We have had 2.5 months of Baseball and June is half over so that is a pretty good sample size to go by. Here is how the NL looks-

2. Cubs 39-27 (1.5 back) - overall grade for the Cubs is a B+ (too inconsistent for an A)

-As of now in the AL, the Yankees are 45-20 and have the best record in the league %points ahead of the Redsox who are 48-23. As a Cubs fan the AL really doesn't matter much to me because it has nothing to do where we end up in the Standings. Yankees are the best team in Baseball as of now though. Not surprising so they have earned an A+. I give the Redsox an A, they do have 3 more losses than the Yankees. The defending World Champion Astros are 46-25 and are in 1st place in the AL West. That is good enough for a grade of A as well. The AL has some loaded teams!

-We will see where these teams are at the All-Star break? Fly the Flag Gozer, we won and won big tonight over the Cards.

Nice summary! There is still lots of time left for the teams in the Central and the West to battle it out for firat place.

No amount of time will help the Mets. They are done. :facepalm: Thanks for not mentioning them. 

Cubs have slowly had a very good season. I agree with PuntersArePeopleToo. You all are too harsh when assessing the Cubs' performance after a loss. They are playing well. There is a lot of baseball left. Enjoy it. :)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Nice summary! There is still lots of time left for the teams in the Central and the West to battle it out for firat place. No amount of time will help the Mets. They are done. :facepalm: Thanks for not mentioning them. 

Cubs have slowly had a very good season. I agree with PuntersArePeopleToo. You all are too harsh when assessing the Cubs' performance after a loss. They are playing well. There is a lot of baseball left. Enjoy it. :)

I wanted to bring up the Mets but can't believe how bad they are playing right now. They started the season so well. Regarding the Cubs, Gozer and I just know what they are capable of so when they put up a 0 it is bothersome. Thanks for the kind comments.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Bats were like that last year too. One game we score 8 Runs, then the next 0. Doesn't make much sense. Tough to watch the Cubs at times because you don't know what team will show up?

I think its more about pitching performance , the Cubs are dangerous especially as mistake hitters as evident last night against Wacha . His control was off , he was leaving pitches over the middle and up , very uncharacteristic of his season. You cant have that kind of night change wasn't working nor curve . When that happens hitters are setting on FB . You leave it towards the middle and it will be hammered. Congrats to Cubs on the win.

One good thing for the Cubs the much needed bat of The other Martinez missing as he is on paternity leave in Venenzuela  his line is .321 10hr 42 RBIs Clearly the team leader with Ozuna closing fast as long as they stay close I like the Cards chances big time in second half of season . If any moves are needed they have plenty of players to do it with. Fowler flat stinks no bat bad D . Your lucky you got what you did out of him in Chicago.

29 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

One good thing for the Cubs the much needed bat of The other Martinez missing as he is on paternity leave in Venenzuela  his line is .321 10hr 42 RBIs Clearly the team leader with Ozuna closing fast as long as they stay close I like the Cards chances big time in second half of season . If any moves are needed they have plenty of players to do it with. Fowler flat stinks no bat bad D . Your lucky you got what you did out of him in Chicago.

That is amazing regarding Fowler. He batted .281 the season we won the WS and his Glove was Good.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Ive been a fan of the Cubs and this core group of players for quite some time, I know what they’re capable of. When they play uncharacteristicly yes I might be a little harsh on them. Most fans criticize their teams when they lay an egg, it’s part of being a fan, no? I am the first to admit if I was wrong about someone...for example Montgomery had a rough go at it last year, but has come around and is becoming a solid bullpen possible starter for the Cubs. Ive began to warm up to Strop, and  have said repeatedly that if Yu comes around, I’ll lighten up, time will tell. I am not in the minority among the many Cubs fans that I know and what I read online.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding the Cubs, Gozer and I just know what they are capable of so when they put up a 0 it is bothersome. Thanks for the kind comments.

:number1:  Preach Brother!

12 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Ive been a fan of the Cubs and this core group of players for quite some time, I know what they’re capable of. When they play uncharacteristicly yes I might be a little harsh on them. Most fans criticize their teams when they lay an egg, it’s part of being a fan, no? I am the first to admit if I was wrong about someone...for example Montgomery had a rough go at it last year, but has come around and is becoming a solid bullpen possible starter for the Cubs. Ive began to warm up to Strop, and  have said repeatedly that if Yu comes around, I’ll lighten up, time will tell. I am not in the minority among the many Cubs fans that I know and what I read online.

In all honesty and I am not being cocky but we should win the NL Pennant with the Offense/players we have. I know you feel the same way. Winning the WS is a stretch as the Yankees, Redsox, and Astros all have Great lineups too and Good Pitching so I admit that should be tough.  So when we score 13 Runs one day and then score 0 the next, it is a bit ridiculous in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, GOZER said:

I did not realize I had come off so critical. My apologies. :)

6 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

We will see today if Martinez pitches more like he was early with the league leading ERA 1.50 he had before DL 3rd game back lets see if he has his Ace Stuff.

I have a problem with today's game I have both Martinez and Hendricks starting in fantasy, I need a nice low score game. May a 1-0 Cubs win Martinez pitch till 8 cubs score in top 9 hendricks pitches complete game :) 

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I have a problem with today's game I have both Martinez and Hendricks starting in fantasy, I need a nice low score game. May a 1-0 Cubs win Martinez pitch till 8 cubs score in top 9 hendricks pitches complete game :) 

Wishful thinking my friend , I don't know which Carlos Martinez you will see but the Cards will score some runs

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Philly at Milwaukee at 210pm EST. Cubs play tonight at Busch Stadium. Time to get back in 1st place.

Should be a good game tonight. I will be watching.

You and Jay:  :argue:  --> :shout: --> :catfight:

Me: :popcorn::sip:

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jay doesn't want any of this :catfight::strong:, just joking I love Jay he is my friend. Cards may get us tonight, sweeping them is usually impossible in St Louis. 

Lol. Be nice to Jay. It is Father's Day. :)

Happy and blessed Father's Day to Jay, Gozer and all fathers. You are appreciated!

On 6/16/2018 at 1:12 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Couple thoughts....how can Braves get anything less then an A+? I mean come on...no one would think they would be leading the East. Impressive! Also I’m kinda disappointed by the Cards. They had a stretch here against below 500 teams and struggled...now they get a tougher part of their schedule. Don’t want to let Brews and Cubs get out of arms reach. Ozuna really surprised me. Thought he would have a much bigger difference...finally warming up. They just can’t get the pitching and hitting together. 

Dodgers get a C-...however they could still end up in the playoffs...amazing they couldn’t play much worse with all the talent they’ve pocess. 

I think Yanks could be in trouble if they’ve don’t get another pitcher. Red Sox are more balanced and have a better staff when pitching win championships. Both get an A- but neither say want to get into a win and in situation with say the Mariners. In a series I think Red Sox more competitive against better staffs in Houston and Cleveland. Yanks may repeat last years issue. Just my views.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Couple thoughts....how can Braves get anything less then an A+? I mean come on...no one would think they would be leading the East. Impressive! Also I’m kinda disappointed by the Cards. They had a stretch here against below 500 teams and struggled...now they get a tougher part of their schedule. Don’t want to let Brews and Cubs get out of arms reach. Ozuna really surprised me. Thought he would have a much bigger difference...finally warming up. They just can’t get the pitching and hitting together. 

Dodgers get a C-...however they could still end up in the playoffs...amazing they couldn’t play much worse with all the talent they’ve pocess. 

I think Yanks could be in trouble if they’ve don’t get another pitcher. Red Sox are more balanced and have a better staff when pitching win championships. Both get an A- but neither say want to get into a win and in situation with say the Mariners. In a series I think Red Sox more competitive against better staffs in Houston and Cleveland. Yanks may repeat last years issue. Just my views.

That's a fair assessment but I cant give a team an A+ that doesnt even have a better record than the 1st Wildcard team. Yankees have the best record in the league so IMO the team that has the best record deserves an A+. 

-You are basing your grades totally on expectation. Dodgers are now only 1.5 games out of 1st place so a C+ is reasonable as they have struggled but are playing Good now. I gave the Braves a B+ which is a borderline Great grade IMO. 

The ESPN announcers are in love with Jack Flaherty, LOL. Get off his damn jock I say - that is all they have talked about. Quintana is also Pitching a shutout. Go Cubs! 0-0 in the Top of the 6th.

-Is it just me or does everytime someone makes contact with the ball it sounds like freakin shotgun being fired. 

Archived