Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Not gonna lie, yesterday really sucked for me as a sports fan. My favorite NFL player suddenly retires, then my favorite baseball player gets hurt.....:Cry:

Nats up on the Cubs 1-0 in the fifth. If Cubs get swept at home that’ll just be the cherry on top. Bleh.:censored2:

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

Not gonna lie, yesterday really sucked for me as a sports fan. My favorite NFL player suddenly retires, then my favorite baseball player gets hurt.....:Cry:

Nats up on the Cubs 1-0 in the fifth. If Cubs get swept at home that’ll just be the cherry on top. Bleh.:censored2:

The whole Luck thing is sad. I hope Andrew feels better and the Colts succeed with another QB.  Sorry about that.

Is it Rizzo or MVP who is hurt?

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The whole Luck thing is sad. I hope Andrew feels better and the Colts succeed with another QB.  Sorry about that.

Is it Rizzo or MVP who is hurt?

Rizzo, he’s having back stiffness issues, something he’s been dealing with off and on for a while. 

Thanks for the kind words regarding Luck, I’m still in shock over the whole deal. I know we have to move on, but man does it suck. I wish I could only describe the atmosphere yesterday at Lucas Oil when the news started to leak, it was unreal.

Cubs lose in 11, 7-5. Chatwood gives up 2 runs. :censored:

16 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Rizzo, he’s having back stiffness issues, something he’s been dealing with off and on for a while. 

Thanks for the kind words regarding Luck, I’m still in shock over the whole deal. I know we have to move on, but man does it suck. I wish I could only describe the atmosphere yesterday at Lucas Oil when the news started to leak, it was unreal.

Cubs lose in 11, 7-5. Chatwood gives up 2 runs. :censored:

You were there? It must have been surreal. I saw something on my phone come up that said Luck was retiring. I was in stunned disbelief. I'm sad for him, for the organization and for the fans. 

Were you still there when people were booing? People were shocked and upset. They probably regret it now. 

I did get to see Luck live once. It was a Monday Night game in November about 4-5 years at Met Life Stadium. It was against the Giants. The Colts won by a lot. What a joy it was to see him close -- just 15 rows back. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

You were there? It must have been surreal. I saw something on my phone come up that said Luck was retiring. I was in stunned disbelief. I'm sad for him, for the organization and for the fans. 

Were you still there when people were booing? People were shocked and upset. They probably regret it now. 

I did get to see Luck live once. It was a Monday Night game in November about 4-5 years at Met Life Stadium. It was against the Giants. The Colts won by a lot. What a joy it was to see him close -- just 15 rows back. 

Yeah a group of us went, and were there the whole time. From the elation of the first half watching the 2nd/3rd stringers battle it out and get a comfortable lead, to after halftime when the hopefully now third string qb and defense blowing that lead, to just halfway through the 4th quarter when the news started to leak. I heard the boos as we all stood there in disbelief and at first wasn’t sure if they were booing Andrew or the team for the loss to the Bears. At that point I thought maybe it was someone’s sick trolling attempt and didn’t really grasp the reality of the situation until I walked back to our tailgate and began seeing “fans” burn their Luck jerseys and actually saw people crying and in shock. It was definitely surreal. Once I watched the presser I knew it was real and I felt sick. Part of our group were Bears fans and even they were sad for Andrew, the team, and the fans. Bad deal.

16 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Yeah a group of us went, and were there the whole time. From the elation of the first half watching the 2nd/3rd stringers battle it out and get a comfortable lead, to after halftime when the hopefully now third string qb and defense blowing that lead, to just halfway through the 4th quarter when the news started to leak. I heard the boos as we all stood there in disbelief and at first wasn’t sure if they were booing Andrew or the team for the loss to the Bears. At that point I thought maybe it was someone’s sick trolling attempt and didn’t really grasp the reality of the situation until I walked back to our tailgate and began seeing “fans” burn their Luck jerseys and actually saw people crying and in shock. It was definitely surreal. Once I watched the presser I knew it was real and I felt sick. Part of our group were Bears fans and even they were sad for Andrew, the team, and the fans. Bad deal.

Yeah this has been one bad weekend for Colts and Cubs fans.

15 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I was sad. I teared up. It is still unbelievable.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards lost 5-3 in a rain out called after the top of the 8th. Cubs back in 1st place after tonight. NL Central standings heading into August 22nd are:

Cubs 68-58

Cards 67-58 (.5 back)

Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

Here's a question to Cards fans, @Jay Kirk , @Barry Sears, and @Myles, what do you guys think about important games being called after the bottom of the 5th of games? This was called in the bottom of the 8th. In the playoffs it is different, if a game is called because of weather, the 2 teams resume the next day where it left off. Having said that the regular season is different, thoughts?

I have seen them resumed in regular season as well. Would've liked the Cards chances the way we are playing , but it is what it is.

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Yes, very bad weekend for my Colts, but things will work out.  I trust in Ballard and Reich.

Meanwhile the Cards sweep the Rockies and it was a great weekend for Cardinals fans!

image.png.d0536dca8d820255daaf6f46a39e77f5.png

Yeah the Cubs got swept by the red hot Nats and the Cards swept the Rockies. The NL Central has been back and forth all year. Cubs do currently hold the final wildcard spot.

16 hours ago, HOZER said:

Classless burning of Luck Jerseys . They forget he's a human and they can't begin to know whats going on in his head. Brissett  will be playing behind a vastly improved line compared to last one. He is strong armed accurate with good legs , and plenty of weapons at his disposal. I like his chances ! Lets get behind him and I know you all well enough to know you will. Remember Football and Baseball are just games and fail miserably in comparison to the game that matters the Game of Life ! Yes I was very disappointed as well, but the mans well being and his family matter more when it comes down to it. 

Cards and Brewers start three games tonight . For Brewers a must win series pressures on and if they lose this series they are out of contention for all intense purpose. Hippie John and I were talking at work. Its not out of the question that the Reds end up in third place. Im proud of the Cards and what they are doing. Right now they are hot at the right time. Anything can happen and I still say Cubs and Cards get in playoffs. This division is far from settled lets have fun and watch this all play out.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Cards and Brewers start three games tonight . For Brewers a must win series pressures on and if they lose this series they are out of contention for all intense purpose. Hippie John and I were talking at work. Its not out of the question that the Reds end up in third place. Im proud of the Cards and what they are doing. Right now they are hot at the right time. Anything can happen and I still say Cubs and Cards get in playoffs. This division is far from settled lets have fun and watch this all play out.

Yep the Cards and Cubs play 7 out of the last 10 games. I still say the Cards will win the division, I have been saying that for a while. Cubs are too streaky to maintain any type of consistency. For a week the Cubs look like world beaters, then the next week they look bad. They are still a top 5 team in the NL IMO and should make a wildcard.

Coltsbestever who do the Cubs play , and brother this is playing out just as we expected. Will mention it appeared Matt Carpenter may have it figured out much more balanced and comfortable at the plate. Surprised me thought he was toast.

5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Coltsbestever who do the Cubs play , and brother this is playing out just as we expected. Will mention it appeared Matt Carpenter may have it figured out much more balanced and comfortable at the plate. Surprised me thought he was toast.

Cubs now go on the road and play @NFLfan Mets for 3 games lmao . That will be tough. Mets have been on fire lately. That series starts tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

I have seen them resumed in regular season as well. Would've liked the Cards chances the way we are playing , but it is what it is.

I think I got this figured out.

If the score is TIED at any point after the 5th inning is completed, then the game is suspended and completed later.

If the score is NOT TIED at the end of 5 innings, it's an official game and completely up to the umpires to call the game after a delay or multiple delays, and declare it completed at their discretion.

As long as the home team has had an equal number of at bats (innings at bat), then the umpires can call the game and make it final.

4 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Classless burning of Luck Jerseys . They forget he's a human and they can't begin to know whats going on in his head. Brissett  will be playing behind a vastly improved line compared to last one. He is strong armed accurate with good legs , and plenty of weapons at his disposal. I like his chances ! Lets get behind him and I know you all well enough to know you will. Remember Football and Baseball are just games and fail miserably in comparison to the game that matters the Game of Life ! Yes I was very disappointed as well, but the mans well being and his family matter more when it comes down to it. 

Amen! I can't like this enough!

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every fan base is like this unfortunately when they receive shocking or bad news. There are always a couple of hundred numb skulls that boo or burn jersey's. Most do not which is good.

I agree. But some have had some really awful things to say and write about Luck. One fan has been dominating the threads writing awful things about Luck. It is pretty :facepalm:.

Ugh @NFLfan, I hate that it’s come down to this....although considering the way the Cubs have been playing on the road combined with how well the Mets played against the Cubs last series, I highly doubt theres a sweep by the Cubs.....heck might be the other way around honestly.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/26/mets-understand-their-fragile-playoff-dream-amid-cubs-series/

5 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Ugh @NFLfan, I hate that it’s come down to this....although considering the way the Cubs have been playing on the road combined with how well the Mets played against the Cubs last series, I highly doubt theres a sweep by the Cubs.....heck might be the other way around honestly.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/26/mets-understand-their-fragile-playoff-dream-amid-cubs-series/

Mets will probably win 2 of 3 I hate to say it.

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Should be a good series

It should be. I'll be watching. The series against Atlanta was an excellent one but the Mets came up short on every game and got swept. They could have won each game if they had timely hits. :(

Cardinals win again and now up by 3 games.  I watched the early innings and the Brewers just look confused or something.  Whatever spark they had last season seems to be disappearing.  Craig Counsell looked baffled and frustrated in the dugout.  I don't expect them to make another push...looked like a team that's ready to go home for the winter.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals are playing well, hitting with runners in scoring position and getting some good pitching.  Fowler at the top of the line-up has worked this time.

I still feel like this will go down to the wire...Cubs are too good to just fade away.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, Jay Kirk said:

I really have no issue with burning the jerseys or booing.  It's the heat of the moment and the fans paid enough money to cheer or boo as they see fit.  They paid $100 for the jersey, let them burn it.   

It doesn't seem like many were booing.   The media  is making people believe the majority of fans were booing.   If you have 25 people clapping and 1 person booing, you can hear that 1 person clearly through all the clapping.   

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I really have no issue with burning the jerseys or booing.  It's the heat of the moment and the fans paid enough money to cheer or boo as they see fit.  They paid $100 for the jersey, let them burn it.   

It doesn't seem like many were booing.   The media  is making people believe the majority of fans were booing.   If you have 25 people clapping and 1 person booing, you can hear that 1 person clearly through all the clapping.   

That was one of my points. It was only like a few hundred booing, wasn't like a stadium full of 60,000 booing haha . The media makes it seem that way though and people actually buy in to it. All one has to do is watch it on youtube and they can see it wasn't many booing.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Yes I was there, definitely a small amount of people booing, although there were a lot of Bears fans there too.

40 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yu is pitching well. Cubs lead the Mets 5-1 in the bottom of the 8th.

Yu did give up a HR to Pete Alonso, his 42nd. He now holds the NL record for HRs hit by a rookie. And no other Met has hit more than 42 HRs in a season.  

Yu got the job done again! Hey @NFLfan, what would you take for that Alonso kid? He’s something special for sure!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Booing is one thing , burning Jersey's in parking lot totally another and totally classless . In fact if I were a Cop they would be arrested if caught doing so . Regardless of whos jersey it was.

2 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Well they are really close now , then could go for the sweep.

Yeah Cards are up 6-3. Cubs beat the Mets tonight and have a little cushion on that final wildcard spot. Phillies lost as well which helps the Cubs. I still hope the Cubs win the division but I do not see it. As long as we make the playoffs I will be happy.

Archived