Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol ill raise your Cubs and hand me the Cards . Cards have a very important factor besides a very dangerous line up. The third best bull pen in the MLB . Anything can happen , and if they bench Carpenter for the hot hand , it bolsters their offense greatly. They wont wait long to do it. My guess if he doesn't pick it during current series.

Until they can get Wacha out of the starting rotation for good, the Cardinals will struggle.   

I think it may be a dogfight till the end, but I think the Cubs will win it.  

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Until they can get Wacha out of the starting rotation for good, the Cardinals will struggle.   

Like I posted earlier. I think it is 50/50 at this point on who wins the division. IMO the Cards have the slightly better pitching, the Cubs bullpen is really bad at times. That is why I think the Cards will win the division if I had to decide. Lineup vs lineup is pretty even. Both teams on any given day can explode for 6 or 7 runs. The 2 teams play 7 times in the last week and a half of the season. 4 are at Wrigley which helps but the last 3 games of the season are at St Louis where the Cubs struggle on the road.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's 50/50 at this point on who wins the division IMO. It will come down to the head to head games these 2 teams play at the end of the season. I still lean toward the Cards winning the division because their pitching is slightly better and their lineup is just as good. Both lineup's are dangerous. Cubs at worse should get in as a Wildcard.

I sure hope they both make it , don't want them canceling each other out . As far as starters will put Flaherty and Hudson against anyone in the league right now Hudson pitched 6 and 2/3 of no no last night against a left handed stacked lineup of the Brewers . Those two have been very impressive over last few weeks. 

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

Im not a big fan of Wacha  , although he was very adequate last time out . If location is on hes good . 

4 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I sure hope they both make it , don't want them canceling each other out . As far as starters will put Flaherty and Hudson against anyone in the league right now Hudson pitched 6 and 2/3 of no no last night against a left handed stacked lineup of the Brewers . Those two have been very impressive over last few weeks. 

I think they both make it brother. The Nats may be the other Wildcard surprisingly. 

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 5-3 over the Giants, fly the flag the Hozer. There is no place like home. Now 67-58 on the season. Kimbrel looked great in closing the game.

Yes Kimbrel looked good, Rizzo seems to be getting his swagger back, and Castellanos is a machine, pay the man!!!!

4F057BFA-19A5-433C-9DBB-07EB5AE91869.thumb.jpeg.c226553f26f1b8965ce2e4102da246ac.jpeg

On 8/17/2019 at 9:51 PM, NFLfan said:

Reds seem to give other teams a lot of trouble. 

Speaking of juiced ball, Pete Alonso has hit 39 HRs and this rookie player for the Reds is the fastest to 11 HR. @hippiejohn must be ecatatic.

Yes, Aquino has been fun. We were at the three home run game. He hot homers in innings 2,3,and 4. Next at bat, with a huge Reds lead, the Cubs pitcher offers 4 crappy curve balls way outside. I was hoping for my second 4 homer game. I have noticed he is getting tons of curves and sliders low and away. We will see if he adjusts.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs playing a wild one at Wrigley tonight. Cubs lead 10-9 in the 7th so far over the Giants. 

And Chatwood is in and just walked his first batter and gave up base hit to the next one. :peek:

Cards lost 5-3 in a rain out called after the top of the 8th. Cubs back in 1st place after tonight. NL Central standings heading into August 22nd are:

Cubs 68-58

Cards 67-58 (.5 back)

Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

Here's a question to Cards fans, @Jay Kirk , @Barry Sears, and @Myles, what do you guys think about important games being called after the bottom of the 5th of games? This was called in the bottom of the 8th. In the playoffs it is different, if a game is called because of weather, the 2 teams resume the next day where it left off. Having said that the regular season is different, thoughts?

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards lost 5-3 in a rain out called after the top of the 8th. Cubs back in 1st place after tonight. NL Central standings heading into August 22nd are:

Cubs 68-58

Cards 67-58 (.5 back)

Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

Here's a question to Cards fans, @Jay Kirk , @Barry Sears, and @Myles, what do you guys think about important games being called after the bottom of the 5th of games? This was called in the bottom of the 8th. In the playoffs it is different, if a game is called because of weather, the 2 teams resume the next day where it left off. Having said that the regular season is different, thoughts?

this wasn't addressed to me, but Milwaukee goes to St Louis again second weekend in September. I would have thought they could finish this game then. I think maybe Rob Manfred just wanted a shorter game. Who knows.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs 68-58

Cards 67-58 (.5 back)

Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

Tough call because I would want consistency.   It'd have to be the same for a team in the playoff hunt as it is for a team not in the playoff hunt.  It'd have to be the same early in the season as well as the last month or so.   I like the idea of completing the game at a later date if the teams play again.  Maybe a formula should be used based on the amount of runs one team is leading by.    

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs 68-58

Cards 67-58 (.5 back)

Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

There's different ways to look at it, but to me, if the two teams will play again before the end of the season, then suspend the game and complete it later.  Even though ALL 162 game count, when it gets to mid-August and later, then the games tend to take on more importance for the teams in contention for a playoff spot.

But, as was mentioned, whatever is done needs to be done consistently.  This time the Cardinals are the team that appears to get shortchanged.  We don't know if they would have ended up winning, or if the final result would have been the same.  I haven't had a chance to read any articles on this with opinions offered due to work schedule, but I would think most would have wanted the game suspended and completed later.

Pitchers duel so far into the bottom of the third, 0-0.  Hendricks vs former Cub Jeff Samardzija. Always liked the guy, wish he could have stuck, especially with how good he’s been lately. He was a heck of a receiver for Notre Dame too.

Yeah in the playoffs, they resume where the game left off the next day which is the fair thing to do. They had to do this for the playoffs. If a team is up 10-0 for example in the 3rd inning and the rains will not stop, it will not be a do over a game. Teams would resume in the 3rd inning the next day. If a team is down 5-4 in the 8th inning, game would be resumed in the 8th inning the next day. But in the regular season it is the opposite in both cases. 

Tom Brady wanted to trademark the nickname "Tom Terrific". 

He lost. :scoregood: The US Patent and Trademark office rejected Brady's request to trademark the term. Brady says he was trying to protect Tom Seaver's nickname. Lolol. Spare me, Brady. 

Has anyone ever even called him ‘Tom Terrific’?” Mr. Talansky said. “Was ‘Vainglorious Cheater’ already trademarked?”

Tom Brady Is No ‘Tom Terrific.’ Any New Yorker Can Tell You That. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/nyregion/tom-brady-seaver-terrific.html

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This isn't looking good, Cubs down 6-2 in the 6th. The Nationals are better without Harper lmao . They are going to be one of the wildcards IMO and the Phillies may not even make the playoffs :funny:. Right now the Cubs would be the other wildcard based on the standings.

Welp, another sucky game. :dunno:

Archived