Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts could be forced into HBO's Hard Knocks next season

SilentHill

With missing the playoffs two seasons in a row, that opens the door for the league to force the Colts to participate in HBO's Hard Knocks next season.

How would you feel about this?

I would personally love it, it would be great to see inside the training camp with what attitude is around there.

*Edit - This is assuming that Pagano is retained. If he is fired I believe we can get the exemption back.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

With missing the playoffs two seasons in a row, that opens the door for the league to force the Colts to participate in HBO's Hard Knocks next season.

How would you feel about this?

I would personally love it, it would be great to see inside the training camp with what attitude is around there.

*Edit - This is assuming that Pagano is retained. If he is fired I believe we can get the exemption back.

I'd love it if there was a new regime. Otherwise, I'd be really exhausted by all the Pagano-isms before the regular season even kicks off.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

There are other teams also eligible are there not? I'm not sure how the selection process works, is it a random drawing of all the eligible teams? 

:thinking:

Generally the NFL asks teams to participate, and if no one wants to the NFL picks one they want from a pool of teams who have to participate based on the criteria.

In 2012 the Colts were asked to be on Hard Knocks and declined.

I would think the NFL would be salivating to get a look in at one of the best QB's in the NFL (Andrew Luck) So it's entirely possible we are picked right from the get go and made to do the show, all of course assuming there is no GM / HC replacement.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

SMH

Well sorry for not drinking the koolaid but when you have one of the better qb's in the league who had statistically his best year and the team will be lucky to finish .500 in W and L's and will be lucky to finish .500 in the worst division in the NFL for 3rd place, what else do you call it.

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Well sorry for not drinking the koolaid but when you have one of the better qb's in the league who had statistically his best year and the team will be lucky to finish .500 in W and L's and will be lucky to finish .500 in the worst division in the NFL for 3rd place, what else do you call it.

Not a debacle. Not that it matters, but that's a severe exaggeration. 

Also, the AFC South isn't the worst division in the NFL, and the Colts are likely to finish 2nd. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Not a debacle. Not that it matters, but that's a severe exaggeration. 

Also, the AFC South isn't the worst division in the NFL, and the Colts are likely to finish 2nd. 

I agree the AFC North and NFC West are worse. Steelers and Seahawks both had it made this season. For some strange reason the Bengals and Cards stunk this season.

42 minutes ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

Everytime someone says we are a debacle I can't help but wonder if some have seen the Browns play ever...

The Browns aren't expected to do anything and have a history of losing. The Colts have Luck and are expected to be perennial playoff contenders. They can't even win the sorry AFC South. 

9 hours ago, deedub75 said:

The Browns aren't expected to do anything and have a history of losing. The Colts have Luck and are expected to be perennial playoff contenders. They can't even win the sorry AFC South. 

Calling them "contenders" is a bit of a stretch as they seem to stumble against the big teams outside of the division like Pitt and NE.I really don't see the argument for having Luck at QB instantly makes us a contender either. Defense is our problem. For years we beat up on everyone in the AFC south. The AFC South is improving every year and we continue to regress by way of poor coaching, drafting and personnel. This wasn't even close to a debacle. This wasn't a sudden holy crap we aren't good. We weren't that great last year before Andrew got hurt we were 4-5 I think. Truthfully if the AFC South hadn't been so bad since Luck got drafted we wouldn't have this veiled conception of this team that we do. Give Houston a decent QB and we are not even close to winning the divison. Most people outside of us Colts fans had Houston winning the division this year with Luck playing. Not a debacle just more of the same. No improvement. 

10 hours ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

Everytime someone says we are a debacle I can't help but wonder if some have seen the Browns play ever...

Okay this is getting old. I know it's not just you but people have to seriously stop using the Browns as some type of justification as to why people shouldn't complain about the Colts. 

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay this is getting old. I know it's not just you but people have to seriously stop using the Browns as some type of justification as to why people shouldn't complain about the Colts. 

I'm not saying don't complain. This regime has done nothing and we are regressing. I complain all the time about our lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball, coaching and front office. But debacle is not a word I would use to describe the Colts season. Disappointing yes but I just feel as though the Texans are on the rise and are a more complete team. I just kind of expected it. Being a pro team and winning one game in a season is a debacle even if the team is the Browns and are historically bad.

2 hours ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

Calling them "contenders" is a bit of a stretch as they seem to stumble against the big teams outside of the division like Pitt and NE.I really don't see the argument for having Luck at QB instantly makes us a contender either. Defense is our problem. For years we beat up on everyone in the AFC south. The AFC South is improving every year and we continue to regress by way of poor coaching, drafting and personnel. This wasn't even close to a debacle. This wasn't a sudden holy crap we aren't good. We weren't that great last year before Andrew got hurt we were 4-5 I think. Truthfully if the AFC South hadn't been so bad since Luck got drafted we wouldn't have this veiled conception of this team that we do. Give Houston a decent QB and we are not even close to winning the divison. Most people outside of us Colts fans had Houston winning the division this year with Luck playing. Not a debacle just more of the same. No improvement. 

I don't think the AFC South has drastically improved. The Colts have been fielding an aging roster coupled with poor drafting. 

I agree that having Luck doesn't guarantee the playoffs but what would the record be without him. 

I dont believe that this season was a debacle but the rebuilding of this team is a debacle. 

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I don't think the AFC South has drastically improved. The Colts have been fielding an aging roster coupled with poor drafting. 

I agree that having Luck doesn't guarantee the playoffs but what would the record be without him. 

I dont believe that this season was a debacle but the rebuilding of this team is a debacle. 

Aging would be putting it mildly. If and this is a big IF. If we are somehow able to make the right free agency moves and have a really good draft this team could absolutely take the AFC South over again. Hopefully Grigson has learned from his mistakes because I really don't see any changes being made. The Texans and Titans are trending upward though. They are not world beaters by any means but they are younger. Mariota is going to be a terrific QB and continues to play better each season and Houston's defense could become scary good with a healthy J.J. Watt returning and pairing with Clowney. 

3 minutes ago, YourTearinApartLisa! said:

Aging would be putting it mildly. If and this is a big IF. If we are somehow able to make the right free agency moves and have a really good draft this team could absolutely take the AFC South over again. Hopefully Grigson has learned from his mistakes because I really don't see any changes being made. The Texans and Titans are trending upward though. They are not world beaters by any means but they are younger. Mariota is going to be a terrific QB and continues to play better each season and Houston's defense could become scary good with a healthy J.J. Watt returning and pairing with Clowney. 

Colts are going to have to overpay in free agency for them to rebuild this team quickly. The Giants did pretty well in rebuilding their defense in one offseason. We need to hope that there is a top 10 defensive player that falls to us if we are outside of the top 10. We have 0 studs on defense and no one currently on the team that could develop into one. 

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Colts are going to have to overpay in free agency for them to rebuild this team quickly. The Giants did pretty well in rebuilding their defense in one offseason. We need to hope that there is a top 10 defensive player that falls to us if we are outside of the top 10. We have 0 studs on defense and no one currently on the team that could develop into one. 

A top 10 player will fall, it may not be at pass rusher, but it will be at some defensive position. If we beat Jacksonville and pick at 15-16, Turbisky, Fournette, Cook, Cam Robinson and a WR probably goes before our pick. Then a defensive player that 's a surprise as well. We'll be left with the bottom of the barrel of those top 10 players and get whoever's left of that tier.

If we lose to Jax, we'll get our pick of a handful of guys, including possibly Cook.

I'm split.

I would watch the heck out of Hard Knocks if it featured the Colts.  So in terms of my viewing pleasure I would love it.

But I also worry that Hard Knocks is a distraction during training camp and on that level would prefer not to have the Colts involved. 

All that said, I'm not sure if the NFL would want the Colts.  I think they would find most of the main personalities a little bit bland.  

Pagano would talk about chopping wood and bowling balls of butcher knives.  

Grigson would talk about finding those "horseshoe guys" and blame Andrew Luck's contract for his inability to construct a team.

Irsay would be busy showing off his guitar collection

Andrew Luck would use coach speak and blame himself for everything bad that happens at camp.

TY Hilton would flash a big grin for the cameras but probably wouldn't say more then 3 words in front of them.

The most interesting guy would be McAfee, but then viewers would be left wondering why each show spends 45 minutes out of every hour following the punter around camp.  

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm split.

I would watch the heck out of Hard Knocks if it featured the Colts.  So in terms of my viewing pleasure I would love it.

But I also worry that Hard Knocks is a distraction during training camp and on that level would prefer not to have the Colts involved. 

All that said, I'm not sure if the NFL would want the Colts.  I think they would find most of the main personalities a little bit bland.  

Pagano would talk about chopping wood and bowling balls of butcher knives.  

Grigson would talk about finding those "horseshoe guys" and blame Andrew Luck's contract for his inability to construct a team.

Irsay would be busy showing off his guitar collection

Andrew Luck would use coach speak and blame himself for everything bad that happens at camp.

TY Hilton would flash a big grin for the cameras but probably wouldn't say more then 3 words in front of them.

The most interesting guy would be McAfee, but then viewers would be left wondering why each show spends 45 minutes out of every hour following the punter around camp.  

So true!!..lol

• 1 month later...

There are other teams up for it.

Personally I'd like to see us on there for once. Us qualifying may be an extremely rare occurance.

I doubt we get picked though, just down to lack of interesting players/storylines right now. It would have been 10 minutes of training camp footage followed by a 40 minute interview with McAfee every week. Now we don't even have that.

59 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

There are other teams up for it.

Personally I'd like to see us on there for once. Us qualifying may be an extremely rare occurance.

I doubt we get picked though, just down to lack of interesting players/storylines right now. It would have been 10 minutes of training camp footage followed by a 40 minute interview with McAfee every week. Now we don't even have that.

It would be very Luck-centric, which I could watch all day. Ballard's personality also seems like it would lend itself pretty well to the Hard Knocks platform, so I would expect him to be on full display as well. Watching TY and Davis go toe-to-toe would also be very entertaining. All in all, it'd be a lot more fun to watch than the daily 30 seconds of video we get from training camp coverage via the Indy media, so I'm all for it.