Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would the Colts have been better off retaining Caldwell?

Corndog

Obviously this is purely hypothetical and almost everyone knew he would be gone after the 2-14 season guaranteeing the #1 pick for Andrew Luck.  But looking at his work with the Lions and turning them into a respectable franchise, do you think the Colts would have been better off with Jim Caldwell rather than Chuck Pagano?   

Hindsight is 20/20 and we will never know for sure, but it is certainly a fair question.  I know the Colts won 11 games in Andy's 1st 3 seasons but we don't know that he couldn't have done the same with an Andrew Luck-led team.  He is doing pretty well in Detroit.

I think Jim is under rated....but that time out against New York sealed his fate in the eyes of every fan here....kind of like when Chuck and the fake punt against the Patriots....something's you can't just over look. What he has done with a megatronless Detroit team this year....very respectable.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think Jim is under rated....but that time out against New York sealed his fate in the eyes of every fan here....kind of like when Chuck and the fake punt against the Patriots....something's you can't just over look. What he has done with a megatronless Detroit team this year....very respectable.

I agree, I am not saying I didn't want him gone at the time, it seemed like we all did.  But I also agree that Caldwell seems to be a much better coach than we thought. 

3 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I agree, I am not saying I didn't want him gone at the time, it seemed like we all did.  But I also agree that Caldwell seems to be a much better coach than we thought. 

Peyton speaks highly of him and that's enough for me. Do I think he is that John harbaugh bill belicheck level of coach....no....but I'd take him over probably half the league.....and yes over the one that replaced him. I root for chuck....but I just don't see it out of him.

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

The thing with Caldwell that still sticks in my craw is the decision to bench Peyton in that Jets game when the team was 14-0.  I'm sure he was doing what he thought was right but I sure did not like it and still do not.

I think it's highly possible that was 100 percent a Polian decision.

8 hours ago, Corndog said:

Obviously this is purely hypothetical and almost everyone knew he would be gone after the 2-14 season guaranteeing the #1 pick for Andrew Luck.  But looking at his work with the Lions and turning them into a respectable franchise, do you think the Colts would have been better off with Jim Caldwell rather than Chuck Pagano?   

Yes most definitely 

6 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

The thing with Caldwell that still sticks in my craw is the decision to bench Peyton in that Jets game when the team was 14-0.  I'm sure he was doing what he thought was right but I sure did not like it and still do not.

I was at that game Polian had a lot to do with that move he is to conservative. 

It seems to me that coaching, like the game of football on the field, is a team sport. People tend to look exclusively at the individual performances, but coaching "wins or loses" as a team. I don't see how this team of coaches can do what is necessary to allow winning football on the field. With the coaching changes of last year, a big component of the problem seems to be Pagano (just like it was with Caldwell when he was here).

IMO, the best solution is to allow Pagano to try and succeed elsewhere (just like we did with Caldwell), and take Grigson with him (or vice versa). It obviously isn't working here.