Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So who could we draft in 2017

Ok, lets not talk about pags, or grigs who could the Colts draft realistically? We need edge rushers, who could we get in the draft that would have immediate effects? Also we need another true CB do we draft this or go free agent? What other immediate voids do we need filled?  

Depends on where the Colts pick. Winning this week would lose the colts some spots in the draft. I am going to guess they pick around 16.

I would assume the Colts would be looking for defense, most likely and edge player or ILB. Maybe a RB if they wanted to take a chance. The Colts late round RB draft picks have not worked out recently, Maybe going for a higher more proven back would work better for them. RB is a risky position and not sure if they can risk it with their needs on the defensive side.

My possible picks:

ILB - I would say Zach Cunningham (Vanderbilt) would be a good pick. A good player that doesn't get much attention because he plays at Vanderbilt. Maybe the best LB in the SEC. Averaged just under 10 tackles a game. Very athletic LB could work well in Colts system. (1st round) 

Jarrad Davis (Florida) (2nd Round). Another Florida linebacker the Colts could pick. I think Davis flashes more potential than Morrison. Doesn't hit as hard but more athletic and has decent awareness to get around blockers.

OLB/Edge - Derek Barnett (Tenn) (1st round) Might be a bit of a reach but he has size, has a very high motor and could turn into a stud if he gets stronger and gets off the ball quicker.

Tim Williams (Alabama). (2nd round) I like Williams, A bit smaller but has plenty of speed and plenty of athleticism to put him on the edge and put plenty of pressure on QB or could even drop back occasionally like the Colts like to do with their OLB's.

RB - Dalvin cook (FSU) This guys is a stud. he would be my pick. Bigger back with plenty of speed and great vision. (1st round).

Leonard Fournette (LSU). Fournette has some injury problems lately but was an obvious top 5 pick the past two years. (1st round)

I expect the Colts to sign at least one high priced free agent simply due to the amount of cap space they will have. From what I have seen of the free agents I think cornerback is likely an improvement they can make in free agency. I would target Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore there. (I believe Gilmore will be a free agent)

At ILB I like Zach Cunningham. He looks like he can play in space which the Colts badly need at the ILB position.

Dalvin Cook appears to be the running back to take in round 1 for the Colts if he is available.

For an edge rusher, I like Charles Harris. He may be a reach where the Colts are likely to pick in the first round but I like him as a prospect. He has a good motor and great speed.

I would have a difficult time with the Colts using their first pick on a RB, particularly when they need so many LB and pass rushers.   Jordan Howard was taken in the 5th round last year by the Bears.  Look at his numbers and tell me a guy like that couldn't help them.  There will be plenty of RB's like that available in round 2 or 3 if they want.  Pass rushers/ILB should be the priority IMHO.

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would love to get a Myles Garrett but it will likely take moving up in the draft to obtain him, which I wouldn't be too unwilling to do.  The question is "is he that much better than other guys you could get at like 18"?  I don't know that answer.

Yeah wed have to move up to like a top 3 pick which would require giving up ALOT!!! And the latest thing I'd read was that the Browns supposedly have an astronomical grade for Garrett on their draft board appearently. Is that really true or the case, who knows. But it's very very unlikely this guy last beyond the first couple picks.

Takkarist McKinley, UCLA, Edge

-Mathis replacement

Tyquan Lewis, Ohio St., OLB

-Walden replacement

Ahkello Witherspoon, Colorado, CB

-Pat Robinson replacement

Tanzel Smart, Tulane,  5-Tech

I would like the Colts to try to trade with the Ravens to get C.J. Mosley, ILB (d'qwell jackson replacement)

Zach Cunningham is my main guy. I think he fills a huge position of need at ILB, and there just aren't a lot of other ILB's in the draft this year. Kendell Beckwith tore his ACL, we won't get Reuben Foster. Micah Kiser is an option, but there's just not a whole lot of options at the position out there in this year's draft. I've also been flawless in choosing 1st round picks since 2013 (not counting Luck), so I feel good about this pick. I chose Sheldon Richardson as the no1 pick and Xavier Rhodes for us in 2013, I chose Mack over Clowney in 2014, I chose Landon Collins for us in 2015, and I chose Jack Conklin in 2016, (though I love Kelly now as well). I'm no draft analyst, but I can hit on a 1st round pick if I put the effort into it every time, and I can't find anything wrong with Cunningham. He is the safe pick, and he is the right pick for us at a position of need.

McDowell, Peppers, Williams, Humphrey, and even Cook are others I like for different reasons that we may get.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Zach Cunningham is my main guy. I think he fills a huge position of need at ILB, and there just aren't a lot of other ILB's in the draft this year. Kendell Beckwith tore his ACL, we won't get Reuben Foster. Micah Kiser is an option, but there's just not a whole lot of options at the position out there in this year's draft. I've also been flawless in choosing 1st round picks since 2013 (not counting Luck), so I feel good about this pick. I chose Sheldon Richardson as the no1 pick and Xavier Rhodes for us in 2013, I chose Mack over Clowney in 2014, I chose Landon Collins for us in 2015, and I chose Jack Conklin in 2016, (though I love Kelly now as well). I'm no draft analyst, but I can hit on a 1st round pick if I put the effort into it every time, and I can't find anything wrong with Cunningham. He is the safe pick, and he is the right pick for us at a position of need.

McDowell, Peppers, Williams, Humphrey, and even Cook are others I like for different reasons that we may get.

T.J. Watt, Jarrad Davis, Raekwon Mcmillan, Anthony Walker........ there are a few, but we'd be better served picking up a starting ILB via Free Agency and drafting one late, letting our current guys develop....

Just now, Shafty138 said:

T.J. Watt, Jarrad Davis, Raekwon Mcmillan, Anthony Walker........ there are a few, but we'd be better served picking up a starting ILM via Free Agency and drafting one late, letting our current guys develop....

You are correct, I forgot about those guys, mainly because I think Jarrad Davis and Mcmillan will be reaches in the 1st for us, but will go before our 2nd pick. I'm sorry, I just fazed out on them. That would be a good strategy if we can do it, and focus on drafting pass rushers. Who do you have in mind in FA, Chandler Jones?

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are correct, I forgot about those guys, mainly because I think Jarrad Davis and Mcmillan will be reaches in the 1st for us, but will go before our 2nd pick. I'm sorry, I just fazed out on them. That would be a good strategy if we can do it, and focus on drafting pass rushers. Who do you have in mind in FA, Chandler Jones?

see my offseason ideals here....  

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

see my offseason ideals here....  

Can't argue with that. I love Melvin Ingram as well, really turned it on at the end of the season. Maybe too much that he gets re-signed by SD. Gilmore is very good, we need a CB and even though there are a lot of great CB's in the draft, we aren't guaranteed to get one. Tim Williams I do like a lot, if I want a pass rusher I'd probably take him as Peppers won't be available. Good players overall.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Can't argue with that. I love Melvin Ingram as well, really turned it on at the end of the season. Maybe too much that he gets re-signed by SD. Gilmore is very good, we need a CB and even though there are a lot of great CB's in the draft, we aren't guaranteed to get one. Tim Williams I do like a lot, if I want a pass rusher I'd probably take him as Peppers won't be available. Good players overall.

Peppers as in Jabrill?  he's a Safety in the NFL..... and the guy is way over-hyped

Just now, Shafty138 said:

I'm also hoping they hire Peyton Manning to be GM/President of football operations, and Tom Telesco to be VP and director of scouting....  I think Irsay would make a splashy move like this in order to save face while dismissing Pagano/Grigson

Peyton would be very interesting. I think he has a lack of experience at a GM position, but he would put his heart and soul into learning it. He would be very loyal and he, at the very least, would be a master at scouting offensive players for us.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Peyton would be very interesting. I think he has a lack of experience at a GM position, but he would put his heart and soul into learning it. He would be very loyal and he, at the very least, would be a master at scouting offensive players for us.

I admit, I am going purely off of Polian saying he is ready for the jaob, as of a year ago..... and also, I et Polian would take an advisory role for Peyton...... Telesco would be key as well, he worked with Polian and Manning for years, and he is likely available..... if a move is made, I won't bet against it being Manning as GM and Pres, if we want him, we will have to offer him a lot of control, as we wouldn't be the only team interested if Peyton is indeed interested

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Thought he was both? An OLB and a SS?

he's 6 foot 215 lbs.....

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I admit, I am going purely off of Polian saying he is ready for the jaob, as of a year ago..... and also, I et Polian would take an advisory role for Peyton...... Telesco would be key as well, he worked with Polian and Manning for years, and he is likely available..... if a move is made, I won't bet against it being Manning as GM and Pres, if we want him, we will have to offer him a lot of control, as we wouldn't be the only team interested if Peyton is indeed interested

he's 6 foot 215 lbs.....

That would be interesting. I'd admittedly be a bit worried with Peyton as GM in the 1st year until I saw what he did, but I'd give it a chance. Also didn't realize that about Peppers, he's light. I'll take him off my pass rushers list, lol.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That would be interesting. I'd admittedly be a bit worried with Peyton as GM in the 1st year until I saw what he did, but I'd give it a chance. Also didn't realize that about Peppers, he's light. I'll take him off my pass rushers list, lol.

Peppers is hard to peg, I feel the B10 hyped him hard as a heisman candidate, but his stats just seem to lag..... he's a jck of al trades, master of none

'

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

ROUND 1 Options

1. Derek Barnett DE

2. Dalvin Cook RB

3. Tim Williams DE

4. Takkarist McKinley DE

5. Ryan Ramczyk OT

Love all those guys, but I would add Foster and Walker as well.  Williams and Barnett would be the ultimate sack duo, I just don't know how they project to OLB as far as coverage abiltities.  Also not sure how good Williams is against the run.

On 12/27/2016 at 3:10 AM, Shafty138 said:

I'm also hoping they hire Peyton Manning to be GM/President of football operations, and Tom Telesco to be VP and director of scouting....  I think Irsay would make a splashy move like this in order to save face while dismissing Pagano/Grigson

Why do you want Telesco back?

Thought Telesco did a fine job when he was here as a scout and director of player personnel.  He is still young, 44, and is well regarded as a talent evaluator and his input on the Draft/Free Agency coould only be a help to a young GM learning on the fly.  I'd like to see Polian in an advisory role as well.  Just not sure he would do it.

Some of my favorite fits for us at positions of need:

RB:

Alvin Kamara, Tennessee 

OL:

Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky

Garett Bolles, Utah

Edge:

Harold Landry, Boston College 

Dawuane Smoot, Illinois 

Jordan Willis, Kansas St.

LB:

Rueben Foster, Alabama

CB:

Rasul Douglas, West Virginia

Jourdan Lewis, Michigan

Gareon Conley, Ohio St. 

Desmond King, Iowa

Sidney Jones, Washington

Kevin King, Washington

Marquez White, Florida St.

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Thought Telesco did a fine job when he was here as a scout and director of player personnel.  He is still young, 44, and is well regarded as a talent evaluator and his input on the Draft/Free Agency coould only be a help to a young GM learning on the fly.  I'd like to see Polian in an advisory role as well.  Just not sure he would do it.

Havnt been impressed with his tenure in SD.

I might get hanged for treason on here for saying so, but I don't get the hype on Zach Cunningham. 

For me an edge rusher like Charles Harris or Derek Barnett is our biggest need. As it stands, before FA and resignings, we have no starting level OLBs on the roster at the end of the season. Even if we bring back Walden (which I hope we do) and bring in a good FA, I still want a young outside rusher early. 

If not I'd like a trade down scenario that involved Desmond King. I think we could move back to the mid 20s and have him still there and pick up an extra 3.

On 12/27/2016 at 1:59 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Cunningham can ball, I would rather us to pass rush but I agree, I like Cunningham too!

On 12/26/2016 at 9:16 PM, AZColt11 said:

I would have a difficult time with the Colts using their first pick on a RB, particularly when they need so many LB and pass rushers.   Jordan Howard was taken in the 5th round last year by the Bears.  Look at his numbers and tell me a guy like that couldn't help them.  There will be plenty of RB's like that available in round 2 or 3 if they want.  Pass rushers/ILB should be the priority IMHO.

So far my draft crushes are just:

Desmond King- CB- 1st round

Dalvin Cook- RB- 1st rounds

Alvin Kamara- RB- 2nd round. The dude is a monster, and if Available, frees up that precious 1st pick for a great D prospect.