Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft position

JMichael557

2 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

So where should we end up position wise? A top 10 would be nice. 

We're likely going to win next week and our pick will be somewhere around 16-18.

If we somehow manage to lose then our pick will be something closer to 14.

The chances of picking in the top-10 are right around ZERO.

Colts need to lose their next game.... Seriously the only way they can help themselves is start off on a good note is by getting a higher draft pick for next season.

If they lose and everything goes their way I think they could get to 12-14.

If they win it will be 16-18.

Not official, but here's a listing of draft positions after the Colt's loss.  A top 10 pick is doable, but we'd need to lose to Jax and have the Panthers and Cardinals win (I'm assuming the Eagles lose).  Looks like we could be anywhere between 10-16 realistically.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/12/24/14076782/nfl-draft-order-2017-49ers-browns-bears-jaguars

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Question is, what do you do if you get a top 10? Trade back and get extra picks? Or is there someone we need that's worthy of a top 10-15?

As someone who knows nothing about college players. I don't think it'd be the end of the world to drop back a little (5 spots) if you can get an extra 2nd or 3rd or whatnot.

Totally depends I guess if there's first round pass rush in this draft.

A higher pick at this point would be better. For example, if we were to land the #10 pick, we could then trade back to #16 and get an extra 3rd rounder if you look at pick values. 

So the question becomes, would you rather beat Jacksonville or have an extra 3rd round pick in addition to our 2 4th round picks. This is obviously oversimplified, but it shows how important week 17 could end up being.

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Question is, what do you do if you get a top 10? Trade back and get extra picks? Or is there someone we need that's worthy of a top 10-15?

Early in the season, I thought OLB was far and away the highest need.  Now I think CB is right behind OLB.  The defense as a whole plays much better when both CBs can cover.

There will be several players of good value at the OLB and CB positions in the mid teens.  Ideally, I'd like to start at 12 and trade back to 16 and pick up a third rounder, then select the best OLB or CB.

Here's the full draft order heading into the final week of the season. 

1. Cleveland Browns (1-14)
2. San Francisco 49ers (2-13)
3. Chicago Bears (3-12)
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-12)
5. Los Angeles Rams (pick traded to Titans) (4-11)
6. New York Jets (4-11)
7. San Diego Chargers (5-10)
8. Cincinnati Bengals (5-9-1)
9. Carolina Panthers (6-9)
10. Philadelphia Eagles (pick traded to Browns) (6-9)
11. Arizona Cardinals (6-8-1)
12. Buffalo Bills (7-8)
13. Indianapolis Colts (7-8)
14. Minnesota Vikings (pick traded to Eagles) (7-8)
15. New Orleans Saints (7-8)
16. Tennessee Titans (8-7)
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-7)
18. Washington (8-6-1)
19. Baltimore Ravens (8-6)
20. Denver Broncos (8-6)

8 hours ago, crazyrob said:

Not official, but here's a listing of draft positions after the Colt's loss.  A top 10 pick is doable, but we'd need to lose to Jax and have the Panthers and Cardinals win (I'm assuming the Eagles lose).  Looks like we could be anywhere between 10-16 realistically.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/12/24/14076782/nfl-draft-order-2017-49ers-browns-bears-jaguars

Is there any pass rushers in the top 10? Or first round talent?

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

3. Chicago Bears (3-12)
6. New York Jets (4-11)
12. Buffalo Bills (7-8)
18. Washington (8-6-1)
20. Denver Broncos (8-6)

Jeeze the titans have another early 1st round pick.. give it to us for Christmas Tennessee.. we need it soo much more :(

11 hours ago, IinD said:

As someone who knows nothing about college players. I don't think it'd be the end of the world to drop back a little (5 spots) if you can get an extra 2nd or 3rd or whatnot.

Totally depends I guess if there's first round pass rush in this draft.

I would be good with moving back a few spots to get an extra 2nd/3rd.  This team has a lot of needs and an extra pick or two in the first few rounds would help out a lot. 

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

We don't need to trade back IMO. We need playmakers and those are easier to find at the top of the draft. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

How is Minnesota 14th behind us in the draft order as we beat them in the regular season? 

Ties are broken by strength of schedule . The team with the worst , drafts  higher in the order. Makes sense .. no ?

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

3. Chicago Bears (3-12)
6. New York Jets (4-11)
12. Buffalo Bills (7-8)
18. Washington (8-6-1)
20. Denver Broncos (8-6)

If 9-12 win and we lose what would that put us at then for the draft?

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

If 9-12 win and we lose what would that put us at then for the draft?

The most we could move up is two to four spots. The 2 spots in question would be decided by the tie breaker with Philly and Carolina. I can't find a site that shows the strength of schedule standings after week 16. Really need to lose this Sunday as all those teams below (exception for Washington) us could finish at 8-8. So we could end up as low as 18-19 if we lose the tie breakers. I would sit Andrew and play all the players we could say "we wanted to get a better look at." We already missed the playoffs and have proved we can beat the bad teams in the league. Plus there is a chance Luck could get injured.. why risk that to win a game that will do nothing but move you down in the draft ?

We need to beef up this front 7 in a bad way. We will be in the playoffs next year if we can get Monachino the talent he needs. That will help Luck settle down. Got to be a much better team running the football. O line and RB. Get all of this addressed and we will go somewhere.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

We need to beef up this front 7 in a bad way. We will be in the playoffs next year if we can get Monachino the talent he needs. That will help Luck settle down. Got to be a much better team running the football. O line and RB. Get all of this addressed and we will go somewhere.

We scored 20 or more in every road game all year....Luck is fine...when he's not hurt

This was his best year...our O-line is on the rise and we've got skill positions covered..

We need depth, size and speed defensively.

Just pick a good defensive player...doesn't matter what position. We can use him

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We scored 20 or more in every road game all year....Luck is fine...when he's not hurt

This was his best year...our O-line is on the rise and we've got skill positions covered..

Just pick a good defensive player...doesn't matter what position. We can use him

That's all it really is to me. Just need to be more well rounded. Can't give up 24-33 points in multiple games and think you are going far. We need a running game we can count on too. We already know what we can do through the air. Address these two areas and we will get back to the mountain top.

31 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

When Luck is having a bad game we need other parts of the team to have the ability to step up and pick up the slack. If he's having a tough time through the air we need to be able to run the football and play great defense to pull out a win. He did a number of things yesterday to put us behind, but he certainly received no help from the defense. We need major personnel improvements there. Gore was having sucess on the ground and then he fumbles. Nobody really stepped up. Mental mistakes and the D was outmatched.