Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Ditka Saints vs Gus Bradley Jags

Synthetic

(I promised I would make a topic of this if Bradley got fired this season) 

Mike Ditka won more games with the terrible late 90's Saints than Gus Bradley accomplished with the Jags. 

DITKA SAINTS

1997 - 6-10

1998 - 6-10

1999 - 3-13

Total record - 15-33

BRADLEY JAGS

2014 - 3-13

2015 - 5-11

2016 - 2-12

Total record - 10-36

I think it's safe to say even if Bradley wasn't fired this week, he still don't match Ditka's horrible winning record with the Saints. 

If you think Bortles is bad, the Ditka era Saints had 2 quarterbacks named 'Billy Joe' (and another bust named Heath Shuler whom he traded away an old Jim Everett to sign). The jokes write themselves. 

I love Ditka and I think that this new wave of him being overrated is unfair. I know the 85 Bears wasn't exactly 1 of those teams driven specifically by the head coach but they were competitive until what 1991? And he was fired even though they 1 a playoff game I think. He also worked for Tom Landry. Tom Landry didn't employ frauds.

But I hate the Saints lol! Stupid Saints.

18 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I love Ditka and I think that this new wave of him being overrated is unfair. I know the 85 Bears wasn't exactly 1 of those teams driven specifically by the head coach but they were competitive until what 1991? And he was fired even though they 1 a playoff game I think. He also worked for Tom Landry. Tom Landry didn't employ frauds.

But I hate the Saints lol! Stupid Saints.

Ditka had full control for GM and head coach at the Saints, and did an awful job. He traded our entire draft for Ricky Williams. Thanks to Dan Synder and Washington for completely outdoing us on that with the RGIII trade, but Ricky Williams draft deal was outrageous and still is to this day. There is not one single player, not even the best quarterbacks ever, who are worth giving up your entire draft for 3 years to take. 

I've always believed Buddy Ryan was the true mastermind for the '85 Bears. After Ryan left in '86, the Bears never went far in the playoffs again. Washington and the 49ers were the teams that used to own Ditka's defense all through Art Monk and Jerry Rice burning them. The 1988 NFCCG is pretty hard on them, where they got the 49ers at home in Chicago, in a snowed out game and then got beat down. 

Ditka was simply done in (before) NO. You can't hold that against him. Besides Ryan was also done not long after Ditka was. It happens to the best of them.

Ditka wasn't done when the 85 Bears, who weren't just a 1 hit wonder like the myth says, were done. He got Bears back into contention for 2 more years after their first losing year. Also if it wasn't for Joe Gibb's genius and Mark Rypiens um...guts...of steel then the Bears would have probably won atleast a couple more rings.