Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carolina Panthers Change Logo For First Time In Team History

bap1331

Yea, the new Panthers logo looks stellar. As a graphic designer, I love what they did to the type treatment. So much easier to read and the tiger stands out more since one side of his face is now shaded as opposed to the original's flat color.

Yea, the new Panthers logo looks stellar. As a graphic designer, I love what they did to the type treatment. So much easier to read and the tiger stands out more since one side of his face is now shaded as opposed to the original's flat color.

the PANTHERS logo is of a TIGER?! lol that is pretty unconventional if you ask me

Any time I read stuff like this...

The Carolina Panthers have refined their logo and logotype, the first such changes since the team entered the National Football League in 1995.

The updated identity reflects a modernized version of the previous logo and logotype and visually connects the two together. It has been designed to provide a more aggressive, contemporary look to the logo while making it more three-dimensional for ever-increasing digital use.

"We have one of the finest and most recognizable logos in the NFL and wanted to make it as modern as possible without losing the dramatic essence of the mark," said Carolina Panthers President Danny Morrison.

The Panthers will transition to the refined logo throughout 2012. The primary tweaks made by the National Football League's creative department are primarily in the features in the eye and mouth. The logo will also be accompanied by a change in the primary logotype.

"It is a cleaner style that is easier to read and should be more applicable to different uses," Morrison said.

Staying true to the roots of the panther with subtle updates reflecting a tougher, more defined panther, the evolved logo is evocative of the popular panther statues found on the grounds of Bank of America Stadium. The white outline around the logo has been removed to create a more dimensional feel and to keep the focus on the features of the panther.

The logotype has been refined to be a modern reflection of the Panthers brand. The new font subtly nods to the swipe of a panther, through a three stripe element incorporated into the "A" of "PANTHERS." The angle and graphic accents in the letters were custom created and inspired by the swift, sleek nature of a panther.

...it always baffles me that there are people that put this much thought and analysis into this kind of stuff. It's a logo.......and it really didn't change that much. I wouldn't even have noticed it was different if they hadn't been put side by side. I'm not sure how rounding a few edges and making the whiskers blue makes it more "modern" but meh.....whatever floats your boat. As for the text, anything that gets us away from the late '90s/early '00s trend that "modernized" meant "looks like it was scribbled by a 5-year-old" is a good thing. The Pizza Hut logo as a case in point.

...it always baffles me that there are people that put this much thought and analysis into this kind of stuff. It's a logo.......and it really didn't change that much. I wouldn't even have noticed it was different if they hadn't been put side by side. I'm not sure how rounding a few edges and making the whiskers blue makes it more "modern" but meh.....whatever floats your boat. As for the text, anything that gets us away from the late '90s/early '00s trend that "modernized" meant "looks like it was scribbled by a 5-year-old" is a good thing. The Pizza Hut logo as a case in point.

You'd hate most graphic design schools then. At the conclusion of every project, students must present a "creative rationale" to their teacher and classmates with a digital image of their assignment on a projector screen. The teacher grades the presentation, since good graphic designers must also market and sell their ideas. The presenter must discuss his thought process to an insane level of detail... the design's objectives, color choice, design aesthetics, type-face decisions, who their target audience is, what they struggled with, and printed material, if applicable.

In graphic design, even the smallest minute details can make a huge difference. Using Microsoft as an example, all they did was take a stock typeface and cut into the right-side of the "o"

microsoft-logo.jpg

Coca Cola has never changed their logo. And look at their success...

its convinced us all to buy the store brand :P

lol

You'd hate most graphic design schools then. At the conclusion of every project, students must present a "creative rationale" to their teacher and classmates with a digital image of their assignment on a projector screen. The teacher grades the presentation, since good graphic designers must also market and sell their ideas. The presenter must discuss his thought process to an insane level of detail... the design's objectives, color choice, design aesthetics, type-face decisions, who their target audience is, what they struggled with, and printed material, if applicable.

In graphic design, even the smallest minute details can make a huge difference. Using Microsoft as an example, all they did was take a stock typeface and cut into the right-side of the "o"

microsoft-logo.jpg

yea im a graphic designer and it is a long process. Usually to do a logo, it is recommended to do atleast 1000 sketches of different variations to have your client to chose from. Then chose the final 4 and enlarge them. And then the final one you work with, you will try different variations of color and what not. To me, its all pointless to do so many when your only gonna chose one. I usually just do 3-4 and my clients love them. lol.

But in the Panthers case, it was just a retouch. The Falcons one did have a major more modern revision though. That is what i assumed should have happened with Carolina. Sometimes the team also needs a new image when you are rebuilding. Like when the Lions changed their logo after going 0-16.

I think it's a big improvement. I love cats of every kind, and I like Carolina's colors, but the design just fell flat. And I mean that literally. Maybe it's OK when your standing on the field, but on TV their helmet design might as well be a black triangle. The new one seems intended to actually let the cat stand out. Hopefully it works.

I've always thought that the Colts had about the best uniforms in professional sports. Simple, but it just works. It might be possible to make the horseshoe look even better, but I'd hate to see anything radical.

I think it's a big improvement. I love cats of every kind, and I like Carolina's colors, but the design just fell flat. And I mean that literally. Maybe it's OK when your standing on the field, but on TV their helmet design might as well be a black triangle. The new one seems intended to actually let the cat stand out. Hopefully it works.

I've always thought that the Colts had about the best uniforms in professional sports. Simple, but it just works. It might be possible to make the horseshoe look even better, but I'd hate to see anything radical.

The Panthers logo was that type of triangle on purpsose

north_south_carolina.gif I like the new logo and see it as an improvement

The Panthers logo was that type of triangle on purpsose

I like the new logo and see it as an improvement

I never knew that! Fascinating.

Graphic design is clearly worth a lot when this...

article-1361493-0D31A055000005DC-223_468x548.jpg

Costs £400k (just over $630k for your lot). What a disaster...

yea im a graphic designer and it is a long process. Usually to do a logo, it is recommended to do atleast 1000 sketches of different variations to have your client to chose from. Then chose the final 4 and enlarge them. And then the final one you work with, you will try different variations of color and what not. To me, its all pointless to do so many when your only gonna chose one. I usually just do 3-4 and my clients love them. lol.

But in the Panthers case, it was just a retouch. The Falcons one did have a major more modern revision though. That is what i assumed should have happened with Carolina. Sometimes the team also needs a new image when you are rebuilding. Like when the Lions changed their logo after going 0-16.

1000!?! Is that an exaggeration? In my design school, we only had to do about 20 thumbnails/sketches. Cause yea, you're right, doing 1000 is pointless. It's great practice, but for a client it's pointless. No client is going to go through 1000 designs. You'd be lucky if they go through a 1-page resume!