Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bmorecolt Mock Taking Andrew Luck?

Many on this forum know I am for a trade the pick philosophy, while improving the defense and building are more balanced team, all of this with Peyton Manning still under center. Irsay has said he will pay Manning, money is not the issue, and although I feel you go all in on one or the other, I think Irsay wants to have Manning and Luck. So I will do a mock with this in mind, and I believe that the Colts will use a hybrid 4-3 while transitioning to have a 3-4. This means the restructuring of Freeney’s contract to accommodate for he and Mathis, as Pagano has said he loves the opportunity to work with both.

We have all seen the article, so Clarke, Brackett, Addai, Bullitt, Moala, Snow, Mookie these players are all getting the boot, they do not fit the scheme and will represent about $10 million in cap savings this year. The draft has a lot of potential 3-4 linemen so they will be replaced in the draft.

Keep in mind I have never done a mock with Luck, so I am being very open minded here!

Round One- Andrew Luck QB

Round Two- Brandon Thompson DT

Round Three- Leonard Johnson CB

Round Four- Jarius Wright WR

Round Five- Kendal Reyes DE

Round Five (Compensatory)- Mychal Kendricks ILB

Round Six- Terrance Ganaway RB

Round Seven- Matt Daniels or Winston Guy Jr. SS

Round Seven (Compensatory)- Best Available

Free Agency: Aubrayo Franklin or Brandon McKinney NT and SS Larron Landry

3-4 Look

DE: Kendal Reyes, Aubrayo Franklin NT, Brandon Thompson DT

SLB: Mathis. ILB’s Angerer, Mychal Kendricks WLB (Rush LB): Freeney.

CB: Powers, Johnson S: Bethea, Landry

4-3 Look

DE: Freeney DT: Nevis NT: Thompson DE: Mathis

WLB: Mario Harvey MLB: Angerer SLB: Conner

CB: Powers, Johnson S: Bethea, Landry

to me, in my opinion (other than QB), our main needs are OG, CB and SS (in no particular order)...or next tier of needs would be LB, WR and DT (again in no order)...

Some are easy to get in the draft and some are better off if you get through FA, as some positions take longer to develop and to contribute...but even through FA i would only go for the younger guys, since we are trying to do a rebuild while still being competative

to me, in my opinion (other than QB), our main needs are OG, CB and SS (in no particular order)...or next tier of needs would be LB, WR and DT (again in no order)...

Some are easy to get in the draft and some are better off if you get through FA, as some positions take longer to develop and to contribute...but even through FA i would only go for the younger guys, since we are trying to do a rebuild while still being competative

those i hope we address in fa with nicks, webb, and landry

those i hope we address in fa with nicks, webb, and landry

If landry can stay healthy i would be all for that...i think webb (while not great) would be very good paired with Powers (who i expect to do much better now that we will likely play more man coverage)...i would like to have either Nicks or Grubbs at OG (and i'm sure there are others if i looked at the free agent list).

I think we will resign Garcon (him being so young helps), but if a good WR falls to us somewhere in the draft or a good young WR available for a reasonable price in FA i would like to pick one up.

:mindblow: Congratulations on seeing the need to draft a high-rated QB in the first round. I like your 5th round compensatory pick. IMO, he was what made the Cal Bears defense good this past season.

I would be fine with luck, with that lineup on defense and as long as those free agents were acquired, but I did this because I know manning will play again, he's not rehabbing to retire and irsay will want luck. But I still like the trade down.

Likely story! lol so now that we have your new draft, what is your new free agent list that you want resigned/sighned/let go?

FA: Landry, Franklin or McKinney. Cheap nt and splurge on Landry,

Resign: Wayne, garçon, Mathis, wheeler, saturday, diem, anderson, tamme, Gonzalez.

Cut: brackett, bullitt, addai, Clark, moala, mookie, brown, snow, diles, painter, orlovsky, Collins.

Resign: Wayne, garçon, Mathis, wheeler, saturday, diem, anderson, tamme, Gonzalez.

Cut: brackett, bullitt, addai, Clark, moala, mookie, brown, snow, diles, painter, orlovsky, Collins.

so who is our starting RB if we cut Addai and Brown? Carter or the 6th round rookie you have on your mock?

I kind of have the feeling that if Peyton's not back, Saturday will retire...but i actually think Pollak will do well at C since its his natural position...one he was ranked at the top of his draft class at, actually

so who is our starting RB if we cut Addai and Brown? Carter or the 6th round rookie you have on your mock?

I kind of have the feeling that if Peyton's not back, Saturday will retire...but i actually think Pollak will do well at C since its his natural position...one he was ranked at the top of his draft class at, actually

Sign a fa rb like grant. I like ganaway a lot, and I have Peyton starting still just irsay wants luck.

One guy I would like to see back, that many will disagree with, at about the minimum contract or so, or at a Injury protected contract is Bob Sanders. Safety is a position of need and if we can get him cheap enough, it wont matter if he gets hurt again because we wont be losing money. He is a pro bowl caliber player if ,big IF, healthy..

He would add some experience to a young secondary and could be used in a rotation/situational capacity. He only signed a one year deal with chargers and I would love to see Bob retire as a Colt. He would bring good leadership at a cheap price and could be an impact player if able to play about 12 games throughout the season.

Maybe a two or three year deal at about 1 mill each year with insentives for playing more games.

I would still like to add Landry if we could get him cheap enough. One of them is bound to stay healthy. Or use one for 6 to 8 weeks until injured then switch to the other lol.

One guy I would like to see back, that many will disagree with, at about the minimum contract or so, or at a Injury protected contract is Bob Sanders. Safety is a position of need and if we can get him cheap enough, it wont matter if he gets hurt again because we wont be losing money. He is a pro bowl caliber player if ,big IF, healthy..

He would add some experience to a young secondary and could be used in a rotation/situational capacity. He only signed a one year deal with chargers and I would love to see Bob retire as a Colt. He would bring good leadership at a cheap price and could be an impact player if able to play about 12 games throughout the season.

Maybe a two or three year deal at about 1 mill each year with insentives for playing more games.

I would still like to add Landry if we could get him cheap enough. One of them is bound to stay healthy. Or use one for 6 to 8 weeks until injured then switch to the other lol.

I could see one year vet minimum for bobby, but I think Pagano would try zibokowski or nakamora from the ravens before bobby.

I would rather save the money and keep Brown, the idea of having to sign a FA RB when we still have Brown on the cheap doesn't make sense. Also, Moala became less likely to be cut with the Pagano hire, he played 3-4 DE in college, so they will probably keep him and try him there.

A late round pick that i think could be a steal that could play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB that no one really talks about is Jake Baquette from Arkansas. He was a pretty decent DE in the SEC and they had him playing OLB at the Senior Bowl. Everything I read said he took well to being coached at the new position and he improved drastically by the end of practices before the game.

Also maybe in the 5th or 6th we could look at Dwight Bentley CB from Louisiana-Lafeyette. He started to make a name for himself in the Senior Bowl, so he might jump up the boards, but i read a TON of good on him during the practices and after the game.

I would rather save the money and keep Brown, the idea of having to sign a FA RB when we still have Brown on the cheap doesn't make sense. Also, Moala became less likely to be cut with the Pagano hire, he played 3-4 DE in college, so they will probably keep him and try him there.

A late round pick that i think could be a steal that could play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB that no one really talks about is Jake Baquette from Arkansas. He was a pretty decent DE in the SEC and they had him playing OLB at the Senior Bowl. Everything I read said he took well to being coached at the new position and he improved drastically by the end of practices before the game.

Also maybe in the 5th or 6th we could look at Dwight Bentley CB from Louisiana-Lafeyette. He started to make a name for himself in the Senior Bowl, so he might jump up the boards, but i read a TON of good on him during the practices and after the game.

For starters brown and moala suck. I think that 3-4 defensive front I listed is sick. Second grant isn't gonna break the bank, he can do it all, could get him for roughly 3 million or so a season. He has great hands and can pass block well, he is a more explosive addai. Third, with Franklin, Thompson and Reyes, that is three dt's two of which have explosive motors, I take Reyes over jake banquette any day. And the colt have 4 rush lbs for 1 and a half rushing lb spots as the Sam has some coverage duties, so that's freeney, Mathis, wheeler, Hughes, why draft a fifth pass rushing lob? I am not opposed to another cb, but Leonard Johnson is a stud. Honestly, if the colts got these players thats an impressive draft.

I agree on Moala, but his draft stock was high when he was at USC and he played 3-4 DE. I will say that I would still take Brown over Grant. I think he is a better back. Football outsiders have Brown ranked as the 5th most effective RB this year, so I really doubt that he sucks. This year he finally showed what he can do, and I think that will go a long way. His blocking still leaves some to be desired, but it has improved. I just can't see the team letting a 1st round pick walk, when he is starting to finally come into his own.

With the 5th pass rusher, Wheeler is a FA, so it might be easier to let him walk and draft another, that is why I brought up Baquette. And I agree on Johnson, I am just thinking that we will need more than 1 CB in this draft. And the 3 later round picks that I really like for CB are Shaun Prater, Jamell Flemming, and Dwight Bentley.

I agree on Moala, but his draft stock was high when he was at USC and he played 3-4 DE. I will say that I would still take Brown over Grant. I think he is a better back. Football outsiders have Brown ranked as the 5th most effective RB this year, so I really doubt that he sucks. This year he finally showed what he can do, and I think that will go a long way. His blocking still leaves some to be desired, but it has improved. I just can't see the team letting a 1st round pick walk, when he is starting to finally come into his own.

With the 5th pass rusher, Wheeler is a FA, so it might be easier to let him walk and draft another, that is why I brought up Baquette. And I agree on Johnson, I am just thinking that we will need more than 1 CB in this draft. And the 3 later round picks that I really like for CB are Shaun Prater, Jamell Flemming, and Dwight Bentley.

I like his size, wheeler is small. Moala can't play 3-4 de he sucks.

Some of those guys on your cut list do not need to be cut since they are already FAs.

A Must Bring Back:Tamme

Collins signed a two year deal, so orlovsky is the only one, your comment made it seem as if I was way off..

Collins isn't a FA, but I'm pretty sure he re-retired after his concussions.

If, JUST AN IF, Peyton isn't cleared to play, who would you bring on as a backup?