Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Obrien Sits Osweiler

King Colt

Midway through the second quarter the $72 million kid was benched after back to back interceptions. Obrien does not like Osweiler and that is not secret here in H town. Savage may take the job because Brock has struggled al year and coach Obrien will not tolerate him. Recall Obrien jumping in Tom Brady's face? 

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Midway through the second quarter the $72 million kid was benched after back to back interceptions. Obrien does not like Osweiler and that is not secret here in H town. Savage may take the job because Brock has struggled al year and coach Obrien will not tolerate him. Recall Obrien jumping in Tom Brady's face? 

and Brock is a QB that some actually think would've beat the Patriots last season in the AFC Title Game, haha. That guy stinks. Thank God Kubiak put Peyton back in last season otherwise Tommy would've won 2 SB's in a row.

10 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Can you elaborate more on O'Brien not liking him? As a QB/person/both? Hard to believe they signed the guy without meeting him. Unreal. 

He's talking out of his behind. None of us know how O'Brien truly feels about Brock. 

55 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

He's talking out of his behind. None of us know how O'Brien truly feels about Brock. 

We do know he is unhappy with his play enough to bench him ?  I called this about 3 weeks ago. They will indeed (IMO , anyway) go into 2017 with the strong possibility of paying a back up QB $16,000,000 with a cap hit of $19,000,000. On the bright side for the Texans , Savage looked good and if a 100% Watt teams with Clowney next season , they won't need a QB. Best from 7 guy in football as we speak.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

We do know he is unhappy with his play enough to bench him ?  I called this about 3 weeks ago. They will indeed (IMO , anyway) go into 2017 with the strong possibility of paying a back up QB $16,000,000 with a cap hit of $19,000,000. On the bright side for the Texans , Savage looked good and if a 100% Watt teams with Clowney next season , they won't need a QB. Best from 7 guy in football as we speak.

Yeah BOB is a no nonsense guy and he holds every guy accountable. I guess he was just defending his new QB but a change just had to be made in a very crucial game in the AFC South playoff race. 

I'm not sure how long Brock will remain on the bench or if he'll get the chance to be the starter next year. Paying a back-up QB like that is insane...but yeah I too am excited for a healthy Watt and Clowney together. It'll be about time. 

4 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah BOB is a no nonsense guy and he holds every guy accountable. I guess he was just defending his new QB but a change just had to be made in a very crucial game in the AFC South playoff race. 

I'm not sure how long Brock will remain on the bench or if he'll get the chance to be the starter next year. Paying a back-up QB like that is insane...but yeah I too am excited for a healthy Watt and Clowney together. It'll be about time. 

Not to wish Watt any bad luck as he's a total class act but ya never know with back issues. Yeah next week will be really interesting to see who gets that start.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Not to wish Watt any bad luck as he's a total class act but ya never know with back issues. Yeah next week will be really interesting to see who gets that start.

Yep. I'm worried like everyone else...but I see him as being a similar monster as A.D. He'll be out for blood in 2017.

I think Osweiler is done for the season as no coach would pull a QB risking the outcome of a critical game and he yanked him with 8 minutes left in the second quarter. Obrien has a plan and no one is bigger than that plan not even a questionable player who has a very smart agent.

25 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I live in Houston and follow the team daily. I am stating a fact as reported by the Houston sports journalists.

I live in Houston too and have never heard anything reported officially about a rift between the two. I've heard of a "shouting match" but nothing more than that. Journalists and writers get paid to amplify issues or to speculate. 

11 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I live in Houston too and have never heard anything reported officially about a rift between the two. I've heard of a "shouting match" but nothing more than that. Journalists and writers get paid to amplify issues or to speculate. 

Coaches, GMs and owners don't tell all, even when they do speak to the media they choose their words very carefully and journalists may be given subtle hints in the ongoing relationships with coaches. Bill Parcells and Ditka  perhaps were not so delicate but the message is their. Obrien does not like Osweiler and it is true some of the players don't like him either. The Texans are a solid team on defense and offense except for the QB position.  Osweiler has 16 million coming next year  and the only call now is to eat crow on the whole ordeal of him or diminish the teams chances of winning by trying to rationalize what was imply a bad decision. Savage is a better passer there is no question on that and Obrien will sit Osweiller for the rest of the season.

I am still fuming that we lost to this guy... TWICE! Had we lost to a decent performance from Savage, then okay. Fine. 

But the loss to Brock, with the season on the line... Is the most sickening loss I have ever witnessed during the Luck era. 

I can't imagine how the Chiefs feel right now.

14 hours ago, King Colt said:

I think Osweiler is done for the season as no coach would pull a QB risking the outcome of a critical game and he yanked him with 8 minutes left in the second quarter. Obrien has a plan and no one is bigger than that plan not even a questionable player who has a very smart agent.

Yeah pulling his QB while they are in an important divisional game while at the top of the division and aiming for the playoffs says a lot.  

This wasn't a "Well lets see what we have in Savage" sort of thing.  This was a "Alright I'm tired of this crap"

Savage is likely starting the rest of the season.  

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah pulling his QB while they are in an important divisional game while at the top of the division and aiming for the playoffs says a lot.  

This wasn't a "Well lets see what we have in Savage" sort of thing.  This was a "Alright I'm tired of this crap"

Savage is likely starting the rest of the season.  

And isn't it telling that this is now the second time that Brock has been benched, and the replacement has gone in to win the game and save the season. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I can't imagine how the Chiefs feel right now.

Mariota is not the same train wreck Osweiler is. The Titans' D is not the same D we scored 21 unanswered on, IMO. Chiefs did not give the Titans the game like we did to the Texans, the Titans earned it with 2 big offensive drives at the end, one with a TD and another for the game winning FG and Mariota was clutch for both those 2 drives on the road despite committing earlier turnovers.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Mariota is not the same train wreck Osweiler is. The Titans' D is not the same D we scored 21 unanswered on, IMO. Chiefs did not give the Titans the game like we did to the Texans, the Titans earned it with 2 big offensive drives at the end, one with a TD and another for the game winning FG and Mariota was clutch for both those 2 drives on the road despite committing earlier turnovers.

Capture.PNG

Sorry chad72, I was actually referring to this...

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Capture.PNG

Sorry chad72, I was actually referring to this...

Oh, my bad then.

Early on in the season, Osweiler had great chemistry with Will Fuller. Once Fuller got hurt and kept getting hurt, Osweiler not establishing chemistry with Hopkins and the other pass catchers was appalling and everything went on a downward spiral. Once they lost to the Patriots 0-27, they were exposed. Plus, the Chiefs do this every year, they lose to bad teams early on in the season and then do their mid-season run but find a way to blow a top AFC seeding and end up as a wild card.

The Texans are still 6-1 at home while being 2-5 on the road (2 wins vs Jags and Colts). They do play much better at home, it seems like. Regardless, I am rooting for the Bengals at Houston next week.

20 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

He's terrible and Savage is better.  You know what's even more pathetic about that?  Osweiler beat the Colts twice!  The Colts are the only team he's beat twice. 

They did beat the Jags twice, they are 5-0 inside the division.

I chalk it up to the "Peyton factor". Blame it on Peyton. Peyton was the reason Osweiler was benched, so he feels like he needs to take it out on Peyton's former team. It is all about Peyton, LOL. :thmup:

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I saw potential in Savage a couple years ago when both of their 2 qbs got hurt and he came in relief for them against us.   I could see talent then.

A lot of times, when a backup QB steps into the middle of a game, you have no game film on him, you read and react. However, once he has some tape on him, the next game is rough. That is why I feel the Bengals have a chance against him.

It was like Chad Henne of Jaguars stepping in and Matt Schaub had a difficult comeback game a few years ago as Texans QB. Then, the next game Chad Henne came crashing down a bit back to normal. :)

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They did beat the Jags twice, they are 5-0 inside the division.

I chalk it up to the "Peyton factor". Blame it on Peyton. Peyton was the reason Osweiler was benched, so he feels like he needs to take it out on Peyton's former team. It is all about Peyton, LOL. :thmup:

Technically Osweiller was losing to the Jags when he got benched.  Savage won that game :thmup: I get what you are saying though!

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A lot of times, when a backup QB steps into the middle of a game, you have no game film on him, you read and react. However, once he has some tape on him, the next game is rough. That is why I feel the Bengals have a chance against him.

It was like Chad Henne of Jaguars stepping in and Matt Schaub had a difficult comeback game a few years ago as Texans QB. Then, the next game Chad Henne came crashing down a bit back to normal. :)

Get what you're saying although Savage has been there for a while now so he's got some experience.  We'll see.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Or he could become the next nick foles but actually stay good this time

15 minutes ago, Gavin said:

At no point should Brock ever should have been given the contract he was given. They were better off trading for Mike Glennon or picking him up at the end of a year as a FA. He's a better QB

Why do you think so many Patriots fans wanted him to stay in and play last year LOL. Pats would've won that AFC Title pretty easily had he played despite how Great Denver's Defense was. IMO, he wouldn't of thrown for 2 early TD's like Peyton did and probably would've at least had a Turnover or 2 against Belichick. The situation in Houston is really to bad because Tom Savage is better so they will probably beat Cincy. + he may even be their QB moving forward next season. Hell, we lost to Brock twice and Savage is even better so that isn't good for next season.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Brock might not even get his position back from Savage.  Savage has some good intangibles in terms of size strength accuracy.  He's got quite a bit of potential.

Here's my question: What makes Bill O'Brien such a guru when it comes to molding QBs anyway? Brady was established long before he was the OC in NE. 

Nothing in his background, Mr. O'Brien's indicates to me that Bill is teaching either Osweiler or Savage anything valuable & I'm tired of NE coordinators who have proven nothing on their own that they are NFL gods simply because they are from the BB coaching tree.

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Here's my question: What makes Bill O'Brien such a guru when it comes to molding QBs anyway? Brady was established long before he was the OC in NE. 

Nothing in his background, Mr. O'Brien's indicates to me that Bill is teaching either Osweiler or Savage anything valuable & I'm tired of NE coordinators who have proven nothing on their own that they are NFL gods simply because they are from the BB coaching tree.

O'Brien made the right move yesterday, had he kept Brock in they wouldve lost to the Jags IMO. Brock was awful. 2 things I was right about this season were Brock would stink and the Jags would stink. I was wrong on my 10-6 Colts prediction but we blew several games but I did say there was no way we go 6-10 either like Heath Evans predicted. 6-10 prediction was just being a hater. I am curious to see how the Packers finish out because they were my SB winning pick before the season. I had Denver last season as you know and nailed it, so who knows. I do think the Pack run the table and win the Division so I have a shot at being right 2 years in a row. To me Rodgers is the best QB in the league, he isn't better than Brett Favre all-time but he's damn Great.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

O'Brien made the right move yesterday, had he kept Brock in they wouldve lost to the Jags IMO. Brock was awful. 2 things I was right about this season were Brock would stink and the Jags would stink. I was wrong on my 10-6 Colts prediction but we blew several games but I did say there was no way we go 6-10 either like Heath Evans predicted. 6-10 prediction was just being a hater. I am curious to see how the Packers finish out because they were my SB winning pick before the season. I had Denver last season as you know and nailed it, so who knows. I do think the Pack run the table and win the Division so I have a shot at being right 2 years in a row. To me Rodgers is the best QB in the league, he isn't better than Brett Favre all-time but he's damn Great.

Yes, in order to hang with the Titans & not lose any ground in the division, going to Savage was necessary yesterday. However, I don't give Bill a gold star for doing that. He was just looking for a spark that's all. 

Brock was bad sure, but next week he will be the starter again based on what the owner is paying him.

I still think Detroit & Stafford will win the division because Minnesota under the Zimmer regime always has discount double checks number & Matthew is balling this season. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

That's another topic. I'm speaking solely on what I saw or see in Savage. Bill being a QB guru or not is not on my mind. Its already been established that BB coaches aren't all that once they leave the nest. Romeo Crennel has kept his pedigree wherever hes been though. A top level DC, that's his calling card wherever hes been. Bum as a head coach though. Obrien is doing alright overall.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, in order to hang with the Titans & not lose any ground in the division, going to Savage was necessary yesterday. However, I don't give Bill a gold star for doing that. He was just looking for a spark that's all. 

Brock was bad sure, but next week he will be the starter again based on what the owner is paying him.

I still think Detroit & Stafford will win the division because Minnesota under the Zimmer regime always has discount double checks number & Matthew is balling this season. 

No Brock is not going to be the starter. Crazy thing about the whole situation is that if Savage plays around the level they hoped Oswieler would play at , it really isn't a "killer" for Houston. They would have their QB for next year for 600K and the guy with the 19 mill cap # backs up. Then they can do what they want in 2018 as most of the "punishment" for Oswieler vanishes after 2 years. So in essence if savage can play at a good level in 2017 , they are paying about what teams pay for a good QB. The money is just going to the wrong guy .. that's all. Now if Savage is not the guy , then they are serious crap as there's good chance they won't have their "guy" in 2018 and maybe longer.

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Colts, with by far the best QB in the AFC South sit in 3rd place.

While the team in first place benched their QB because he was so terrible.

Unbelievable.

Yep. It's awful... That's why it's a team game, but I'll tell you this: Even if the Texans manage to win the division, their QB play will be the ultimate downfall in the playoffs...

On 12/18/2016 at 5:36 PM, King Colt said:

I am glad he learned the #1 rule here in NE. "Do what's best for the team." And Osweiler looks like hot garbage and was not good for the team. (Makes you wonder if O'Brien was on board with bringing him in.)