Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This level of cold hurts the game

oldunclemark

Snow and rain can be fun..

..but there's nothing positive or virtuous about playing in single digit cold...

It really distorts what players can do.

Its rare for it to be THIS cold in mid=-December and it'll be warmer next week certainly..

..but, to me,  it takes away from playing the game..and even watching it

17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Really Unc you're going to try and sell that as NEVER like there's a difference between a few degrees when they're both near 0.

They have extra medics in the stand in Chicago for the safety of the fans..

The macho'.....its just football argument...

..is really a dinosaur

This isn't exactly the first day of winter, and I'm going to be candid but if you want to go there the truth is that most people with these beliefs have similar beliefs about how winter used to come earlier, how there used to be more cold days and how there used to be even colder days in the oRiGiNs Of FoOtBaLl which was at a time before they kept weather records. So so much for that angle..also I don't remember any domes in the 1800s.

There were more cold weather games before than there are now, and they were an unwritten proud tradition in the cases of some teams (Packers, Pats, Vikings...who now play inside). What you just said is the complete opposite of the truth plus a bunch of .......and....////// I mean what

6 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

There were more cold weather games before than there are now, and they were an unwritten proud tradition in the cases of some teams (Packers, Pats, Vikings...who now play inside). What you just said is the complete opposite of the truth plus a bunch of .......and....////// I mean what

what you say is true of the  60s and 70s but that's not the beginning of football.

You know that, right?

'When pro football began...the season didnt extend into January and February ...

..High school and college football never extended past November expect for bowls in warm weather areas..

I'm not saying there's anything to do about it but some things aren't debatable.

Playing in zero weather hurts the play ...just agree with me

That's what the word "before" means Unc you know that right...January 1st is not the 1st cold day of the year, and neither is December 1st and neither is November 1st and neither is October 1st in most NFL cities. The fact that that the season extends into January is completely useless for what you're trying to sell.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

This isn't exactly the first day of winter, and I'm going to be candid but if you want to go there the truth is that most people with these beliefs have similar beliefs about how winter used to come earlier, how there used to be more cold days and how there used to be even colder days in the oRiGiNs Of FoOtBaLl which was at a time before they kept weather records. So so much for that angle..also I don't remember any domes in the 1800s.

Nov & Dec definitely used to have cold and snow.

Ice Bowl baby!

Some mud bowls were good too but unfortunately we don't have that anymore

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

900 yards of total offense in the packers bears game

Didn't affect the teams from moving the ball did it? Plus there is something to be said for running the ball and playing that black and blue defense. Everyone loves star wars numbers but I'm just as excited by a well played defensive battle. I also can appreciate a great running attack as much as a passing one. The weather really hurts the passing game....but I don't think it hurts the game overall. As a fan I appreciate that we play in a dome...but as a player the cold wasn't even a factor when playing. You were focused on so many things going on you never thought about it until you got over to the sidelines. Variety is the spice of life....I like having both types of games....perfect conditions and not....that's entertaining to me.

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

There were more cold weather games before than there are now....

I'm assuming that you have no data at all to support that claim and that it is just a made up fact to support your argument.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

'When pro football began...the season didnt extend into January and February ...

When pro football began, you couldn't throw forward passes.

I'm not saying there's anything to do about it but some things aren't debatable.

Apparently it is debatable since, you know, people are debating it.

I don't agree with you.  The "all weatherness" of football is one of my favorite things about the sport.  I enjoy watching the players have to adapt to various weather conditions.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Didn't affect the teams from moving the ball did it? Plus there is something to be said for running the ball and playing that black and blue defense. Everyone loves star wars numbers but I'm just as excited by a well played defensive battle. I also can appreciate a great running attack as much as a passing one. The weather really hurts the passing game....but I don't think it hurts the game overall. As a fan I appreciate that we play in a dome...but as a player the cold wasn't even a factor when playing. You were focused on so many things going on you never thought about it until you got over to the sidelines. Variety is the spice of life....I like having both types of games....perfect conditions and not....that's entertaining to me.

The pass isn't too bad (if no wind). Ice cold really effects the kicking game. Like kicking a rock so just medium field goals are tough.

19 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

You're assuming wrong, and even if you weren't that's the pot calling the kettle black.

1.  Are you going to present the data that you have to support your claim, or just assert that you have it?

2.  What claim did I make with no data to support it?

You're just stalling dude...like if I don't go look up a bunch of stuff and post it it must not be true. I already mentioned that there haven't always been domes. Furthermore, the first dome was in Houston. That didn't exactly eliminate very many snow games. I'm not sure but the second 1 might have been in New Orleans. Not alot of snow games there either. On top of that, there are alot more defunct teams from snow country than there are down south.

And I just realized...it wasn't even snowing in Chicago today. This place sometimes...

By sheer logic - the fact that the NFL played less than 16 games at one point and seasons ended prior to January unlike today where the last week is in the first week of January means less games played in cold weather.  I'm not even sure how it's even debatable that there were less cold games today than "in the old days."  Even then, is there really going to be so much of a difference as to make this a contentious point?  who cares what the weather was like 30 years ago and what its' like today?  The game is fun to watch regardless of weather conditions.

56 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

By sheer logic - the fact that the NFL played less than 16 games at one point and seasons ended prior to January unlike today where the last week is in the first week of January means less games played in cold weather.  I'm not even sure how it's even debatable that there were less cold games today than "in the old days."

Add up all 16 games schedules, subtract the dome games, subtract the Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Tampa Bay, etc games. 

Now add up all the old schedules and subtract the dome games, subtract the Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Tampa Bay games, etc games. Even subtract the small amount of games where it wasn't freezing.

I wish I could just leave that like it is and let the sarcasm do the talking but it since it didn't take the last couple of times I posted it, I'll carry on. The first total would come out to considerably less than the total amount of games played. The second would not, and in turn come out to more than the first. Sheer something alright...

20 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

what you say is true of the  60s and 70s but that's not the beginning of football.

You know that, right?

..High school and college football never extended past November expect for bowls in warm weather areas..

So you want go back to when they wore leather helmets and played pretty much a completely different game? You know before the forward pass was created. (Anything innovative like that now and the NFL will make it illegal in a year because God forbid we change anything)

56 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Add up all 16 games schedules, subtract the dome games, subtract the Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Tampa Bay, etc games. 

Now add up all the old schedules and subtract the dome games, subtract the Jacksonville, Carolina, Miami, Tampa Bay games, etc games. Even subtract the small amount of games where it wasn't freezing.

I wish I could just leave that like it is and let the sarcasm do the talking but it since it didn't take the last couple of times I posted it, I'll carry on. The first total would come out to considerably less than the total amount of games played. The second would not, and in turn come out to more than the first. Sheer something alright...

That's a fair point.  I'm not going to dig into all the data on it.  To me, it's not even really an argument for or against how the weather is ruining today's NFL and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which era had more cold games.  I think what you said earlier about there being unwritten traditions in cold weather games (and fans of those teams today still bear those traditions as a badge of honor.  That's really the only argument I need.  I still love when I see a group of good looking packers or whatever fans attending snowy games in bikinis, preferably female, that is. I remember watching the Philly game (I think against the Lions) a year or two ago where it was snowing so much so fast that you could hardly see what was going on on the field.  I did not even flip back and forth to redzone because all I wanted to watch was what would happen next during that game.  Did it affect the play some?  Sure, but damn it was a lot of fun to watch.

In response to Mark's claim cold makes the game less perfect...first the game isn't perfect anyway with that oblong football, fumbles etc....then throw in normal snow ,rain, or wind and it's not always ideal.

I haven't seen where real cold weather effects the game other than the kicking game by 10 yards. Passing and running is the same.  Maybe the players hate it because its so cold- or maybe they don't.

I mean we're talking about 1-2 games a year and just a few teams where it's below 20.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, -JJ- said:

The pass isn't too bad (if no wind). Ice cold really effects the kicking game. Like kicking a rock so just medium field goals are tough.

Tennessee kicker booted a 53 yarder. I know it affects things but good players find a way. I agree wind is worse than cold for qbs but cold fingers for wrs and they can't feel the ball. To me I'm fine with the elements from time to time. Makes for drama where some games there would be none. About the only time I don't want weather is the SB....just let the two teams battle it out. I don't want other aspects influencing the outcome of that.

On 12/18/2016 at 1:12 PM, oldunclemark said:

No.....football was NEVER played I this level of cold in the past.

Football wasnt designed to be played in December

By the way...GB went right down the field with the opening kickoff in 8 degree weather in Chicago...7-0 Pack

1967 title game, -23 in the morning!!

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/door-co/sports/2015/01/09/ice-bowl-remains-frozen-time/21503555/

or much more recent, -1 with -23 wind chill- Giants over Packers and Couglins frozen nose and red face.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29578824.html

There are plenty of examples in the past and also those from not too long ago, and in between 

Freezer Bowl 1981, Chargers - Bengal -9 air, -37 to -59 degrees windchill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12Qywn3AeQ

It is part of the game, when mother nature decides to 'bring it on'.

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

Tennessee kicker booted a 53 yarder. I know it affects things but good players find a way. I agree wind is worse than cold for qbs but cold fingers for wrs and they can't feel the ball. To me I'm fine with the elements from time to time. Makes for drama where some games there would be none. About the only time I don't want weather is the SB....just let the two teams battle it out. I don't want other aspects influencing the outcome of that.

Yeah SB are usually dome or warm weather.

Still there's something to be said for the ice bowl. That's just football baby :)

On 12/19/2016 at 2:10 PM, Nadine said:

I am not at all nostalgic about watching games in the pouring rain and freezing cold.  Happy to see more and more domes

Agreed. If  it was up to me every stadium would be a dome. I have zero interest in which teams/players are more adaptable to the elements. I don't want to see my RBs slipping all over the place, my WRs dropping (more) balls, or my tacklers sliding right off of wet bodies.

Lol.

you don't know cold if you think that's really all that cold. 0 degrees Fahrenheit is like minus 18 Celsius.

I take my two year old sledding in that weather. If grown men are gonna wilt cause it's a bit frosty out then maybe stick to Florida.

You guys are cute. We play CFL in those temps regularly.

Last week we had daily highs of -22c so -7.6 . That was the high. Now that was the coldest its been in Calgary in two years but we've had some warm weather from el ninio those last two winters. 

Wear some good socks, shoes with liners, thermal underwear, a hat, gloves and grab your jewels out of your wife's purse on your way out the door.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:26 PM, oldunclemark said:

You know that, right?

What difference does it make that the season wasn't this long back when the sport was invented?

The NFL has been around for what,  75 years?     Longer?

I started following football in the mid-60's and while the regular season ended in mid/late December, the playoffs went right through January with the Super Bowl typically in Mid and then Late January.

There were frozen playoff games in places like Green Bay,  Minnesota,  Chicago,  Cincinnati,  Cleveland, Buffalo,  you name it.

This has been going on for 50 years.....      who cares what football was like before then?

I appreciate that the quality of football sucks in terrible weather.    And it was worse back in the 60's, 70's and 80's because the ability to keep players warm was much less understood,  so players really suffered back in the day.      It was much worse back then than it is now because the technology exists to keep players warmer for longer period of time.     Gloves,  thermal clothing,  turtle neck sweaters,  caps for heads....   heated benches when they come to the sidelines and heavy/long coats to shield players from the elements.

Players have it much better today than they did 30-60 years ago.....

Just agree with me.....