Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 yr deals

nicky6times

Could go either way. Take the Harris signing... Lot's of questions surround him. Lets say he's done, and it doesn't work out for us. Good. We tried, and no harm in failing after you try.

But if he becomes a D-line monster again the way he was a few years ago, could be bad. To keep him in town he may want huge money that we're not prepared to give...

Could go either way. Take the Harris signing... Lot's of questions surround him. Lets say he's done, and it doesn't work out for us. Good. We tried, and no harm in failing after you try.

But if he becomes a D-line monster again the way he was a few years ago, could be bad. To keep him in town he may want huge money that we're not prepared to give...

However, this puts us in premier position to acquire some tasty draft picks, a la New England/Philadelphia.

I remember when I moved into my home, my wife's uncle who helped us move told me "don't buy all new stuff at the same time, they may all need replacement around the same time or need repairs around the same time". I think a strategy similar to that applies to signing key players too. Let not all key player contracts need re-done at the same time. This year, it is Peyton, next year, it is Reggie, and then Mathis the next year and then Freeney (if I remember right). The key pieces are the ones one needs to worry about. Other pieces of the puzzle can be acquired or let go as needed.

you can't trade a guy if he isn't under contract

Not sure if he meant compensatory picks for losing a guy in free agency, not sure how that works with a 1 yr. contract. I bet Aubrayo Franklin strikes it rich in the next free agency if the Saints win enough games and he can showcase his talent in a 1 yr. time frame, same case with Tommie Harris with the Colts. Should the team be rewarded with a compensatory pick for not making a long term investment on a player like that? Not sure what is written in the new CBA for such cases.

I would not bet too much on compensatory picks though. For losing Session, even if Session plays well, a 5th rounder would make me happy. For losing Charlie Johnson to the Vikes, if CJ plays well, a 6th rounder (what CJ was) would make me happy as well. We got a 7th rounder for Brock and a 7th rounder for Punter Smith, didn't we?

Now let me drop this on all yall

WHEN we win the SB this yr @ home..its gonna make these guys value skyrocket!!

If we win the SB, we will get other guys who will want to jump on the SB winner bandwagon (though not for too much less). I will cross that bridge any day, as a SB winner :-)

It is the mentality of it is better to let them leave one year early then to keep them to late.

As John Waylon pointed out if Simms, Harris, or Anderson do not do anything then we wipe our hands clean of them and move on. If we signed them to a longer deal and they stink we are stuck with basically dead money.

Sure there is a chance that Anderson regains his form or Simms tears it up, but I much rather let them walk early then take the chance that they stink and be stuck with them more then one year.

What's to stop the Colts extending contracts during the season?

If Sims, Anderson or Harris start playing well during the season, the Colts would be able to extend their contracts before the end of the season, perhaps meaning they don't get blown out of the market in terms of the money being offered.

If I'm wrong on this feel free to correct me, I'm merely speculating on what alternatives lie ahead.

What's to stop the Colts extending contracts during the season?

If Sims, Anderson or Harris start playing well during the season, the Colts would be able to extend their contracts before the end of the season, perhaps meaning they don't get blown out of the market in terms of the money being offered.

If I'm wrong on this feel free to correct me, I'm merely speculating on what alternatives lie ahead.

Exactly. You bring some guys in that you think can help your team. If they are duds and the roster spot can be used more valueably, you release them and move on. If they do decent, you base it off how your team did and what is available to replace them. If they did well, sign them for longer.

They can extend them mid-season, yes. But if they're having a monster season by that point they will most likely decline to negotiate until the season is up so they can ask for more money then, or just ask for a monster deal then... I think Mathis is our #1 priority this season and offseason. I know the FO claims they won't get extensions during the season, but I think they'll talk with Mathis' camp.

Reggie... I dunno. He wants more than he's making now, but we're just a few short years removed from the Marvin Harrison thing, and I don't see us going all the way with him at this point in his career the way he wants us to. Obviously if his production takes a step back again this season like it did last, we'll be justified in that, but if he has a monster season, I think we let him walk.

One of those two is going to get a great deal, and I'd say they'll be the only one... If one of the guys on the one year deals has a monster year, I doubt we'll be able to retain them.

Wayne's value to the Colts will also have a lot to do with how well Collie and Garcon mature as receivers this year.

Yes, Garçon especially. If he has a better year stats-wise than Reggie (Which I don't think is likely, but I think it would be ignorant not to at least think it a possibility) then we can use our ability to rely on Garçon when negotiating with Reggie.

Collie, not so much. He's a pure slot guy, and he benefits from the attention a guy like Reggie commands on the outside. I mean yeah, it seems logical to say "Hey, Collie lead the team in TD grabs and had 9XX yards, so we don't need you" but the truth is Collie gets help from those outside guys.

Say Wayne goes down with an injury and Gonzo takes his spot... If I'm running the defense, I'm going to concentrate less on Gonzo and more on Collie, maybe even going as far as moving my #1 or 2 DB inside to cover Collie.

My whole point being, I don't see us giving Reggie any more money than he's already getting at this point in his career, and that seems to be what he wants. It's just too risky for us.

I think, though, once we make that clear to Reggie, there's a chance he'll decide to stick around for less than he wants simply to stick with Peyton....

id say reggie's status has more to do with gonzo and garcon. like the above poster mentioned, collie is purely a slot guy. gonzo can play outside. if, and thats a big if, gonzo can get back to form wayne may be expendable, or at the very least lose a lot of leverage.

Personally, depending on how the season goes, I say keep gonzo, collie, garcon and look to draft a WR in round 2 or 3... or even round 1 if the right guy is available.

Its hard to believe gonzo has dropped so far. 2 years ago at this time we were stoked for him to have a breakout year, now he probably wont get on the field much. too bad injuries can derail a career like that. Anyway, the above paragraph is mainly me hoping gonzo has a great year, stays healthy and becomes what he was supposed to become.

U know I will let next season speak for itself. If we win a superbowl at home, I dont care about next season at all then. I want to celebrate another superbowl and then around May start thinking about free agents and signings then. We cant ask the Colts to go out and get these guys and then tell them to sign them long term when they usually dont even go out and get anyone in the off seasons.