Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defence wins championships

ThorstenDenmark

Problem is, we dont have a defence, which must be problem number one.

Is it 4-5 years Pagano and Grigson have had the time to build a monster now? and where are we?

3rd in AFC South (The worst division in NFL - so the experts say)

In the bottom of the league in most defensive statistics

We have the most hit and Sacked QB in the league, with the biggest contract

And we might have one of the worst coaching staffs and front offices in the entire league.

Pagano and Grigson said we would build a monster.

Instead they build a Hello Kitty like type of monster.

I really love Indianapolis Colts, but this team is a mess and we need to Reboot once more.

Dont know how you all feel or if you agree, but I hope 2017 will bring som changes that will turn this Titanicish into a Navy Destroyer with its eyes turned to the Super Bowl within 3 years. 

Things take time, but 5 years of Pagano & Gigson is more than enough.

Do you agree?

Of course most will agree with at least some of what you said.  Nobody in their right mind would look at this team right now and say "Everything is good".  It definitely isn't.  What people will disagree on is how to fix it all.  It's a complicated issue and involves many moving parts, more than I think they can reasonably address in one off-season.  I agree with you, I think it may be a 3 year plan realistically.  The last 4 drafts have REALLY set this team back which is why our record continues to decline rather than get better.

Watching the Giants tonight made me realize that free agency can actually turn your team around in a hurry if you do it right.

I've said before that free agency sucks for teams that aren't in big markets but to see the Giants get Vernon, Jenkins, and Harrison and turn their entire defense around in a year sucks. Usually when a team wins free agency they are either the same or worse than before.

Seems like we can only get players like Laron Landry and Greg Toler. The question to be asked is are we a team no one wants to go to (weather, small market, etc.) or is Grigson not trying hard enough to get these players?

Man stop blaming defence  last year this crappy defence kept us in almost every game and offense couldn't do squat b4 lucks injury..this year defence regressed but still the offense doesn't take advantage when this garbage defence gave us opportunities  we honestly need to draft two OLB and more OLINEMEN Because our young guys have potential but we are starting to see constant injuries on the young Guys and if that's a a repeating thing we need depth..haeg and Ac only guys to play in every game and last and Ac has been outplayed by this rookie playing two different positions we need an OLINE and pass rush anything else we need pick it up in FA

What kind of fence? Chain Link? Wooden? j/k

This coaching staff needs gutted. They are a complete joke. 

They are wasting Andrew Luck. Literally. 

Who's decision was it to have Allen trying to defend Clowney one on one? 

Also, either Chud is out of his mind, or Pags is meddling with the play calling. I believe it's the latter. 

I agree, the OC besides being a bonehead Oc Coordinator, should have realized Clowney's skill set rather than putting stone hands on him....To boot, tried to pick up the fumble instead of pouncing on it, another bonehead move.  The Cols are pathetic, it's simple as that!!!

We hear the OL personnel is forever changing . We witness a team that is all over the scale in terms of performance. We have watched the highest paid QB get hammered every week. We see a team play with different levels of success every quarter. We have a QB that after five years has not learned to dump the ball after a few seconds and it was said in the game against the Texans he can't be taught that. Well then he won't be playing long. The AFC South is slowly coming out of the sewer as the worst division and if the Colts don't hop on they will battle the Jags for the cellar position. The GM admits they can't pay for players after the Luck contract. So, this did not dawn on anyone before the contract was offered??!! We never know what team will show up and that is not much better than a team we know will lose every game like the Browns. Yesterday 65,250 fans paid to see what in Lucas Oil? The Colts should apologize to all of them. 

10 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im from Denmark, so I use the British version ;) And its spelled correctly ;) Its just the British way, not the American way ;) 

I knew that judging from your name. I even went on your profile to try to confirm but could not see it. Some posters have nothing better to post.

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

You didn't know it was spelled differently overseas and your trolling this guy who bothers to follow the team from overseas. The jokes on you. 

I worked in Europe in La Coruna, Spain working construction so the jokes on you for not knowing who your are addressing. I also traveled throughout Europe in my free time. 

34 minutes ago, King Colt said:

To capitalize "spelling bees" is also wrong:lol:

King Colt, thanks for helping to point out the differences between English and American English regarding defense/defence.  It helped solve the issue. 

As for Spelling Bees/spelling bees though, i think it goes to the beholder and really both can be used.  Like World Series and Super Bowl(s) are an event where the names are capitalized.   

15 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im from Denmark, so I use the British version ;) And its spelled correctly ;) Its just the British way, not the American way ;) 

Well you're on an american website, so we'd appreciate you spelling things correctly. :D

(I'm kidding BTW, I also like to see Colts fans and posters from other countries)  I think the team is a mess.  But I do think most of the reboot needs to happen on the D side of the ball.

QB - Set

RB - Will need next year (although when you only have 10-12 carries a game, does it matter who your runnig back is?

WR - Set

TE - Set

Oline - IMO, set.  I would still draft some depth and a starting RT and keep haeg at RG.

Dline - Parry is an enigma, sometimes he looks like an ummovable mountain in the middle and sometimes he looks pedestrian.  But Langford, Anderson, Jones et al, are good.

OLB  Need at least 4 or 5.

ILB - DQ was missed yesterday but Morrison showed flashes and potential to be a good ILB and Pound Cake good become very good.

CBs - This is a head scratcher.  Gordon is getting better every week, Davis has been up and down but still a lock down corner.  Robinson was starting to play well but can't stay on the field and Butler just doesn't have the same quickness he used to (i'm not blaming him, it sucks getting old).

Safeties - I think Green and Geathers and the kid from Notre Dame will be fine next year.

I would not mind seeing a new coaching staff (perhaps, and I know this will not be popular, retain Chud, the ST coach and Philbin) but a new HC, new DC (please if the Bills fire Ryan, the Colts should hire him as the DC (please not as a HC but a DC).

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well you're on an american website, so we'd appreciate you spelling things correctly. :D

(I'm kidding BTW, I also like to see Colts fans and posters from other countries)  I think the team is a mess.  But I do think most of the reboot needs to happen on the D side of the ball.

QB - Set

RB - Will need next year (although when you only have 10-12 carries a game, does it matter who your runnig back is?

WR - Set

TE - Set

Oline - IMO, set.  I would still draft some depth and a starting RT and keep haeg at RG.

Dline - Parry is an enigma, sometimes he looks like an ummovable mountain in the middle and sometimes he looks pedestrian.  But Langford, Anderson, Jones et al, are good.

OLB  Need at least 4 or 5.

ILB - DQ was missed yesterday but Morrison showed flashes and potential to be a good ILB and Pound Cake good become very good.

CBs - This is a head scratcher.  Gordon is getting better every week, Davis has been up and down but still a lock down corner.  Robinson was starting to play well but can't stay on the field and Butler just doesn't have the same quickness he used to (i'm not blaming him, it sucks getting old).

Safeties - I think Green and Geathers and the kid from Notre Dame will be fine next year.

I would not mind seeing a new coaching staff (perhaps, and I know this will not be popular, retain Chud, the ST coach and Philbin) but a new HC, new DC (please if the Bills fire Ryan, the Colts should hire him as the DC (please not as a HC but a DC).

By looking at your assessment of the team, they should be much better than they are.      Not saying you are wrong.   Just seems to high lite the lack of good coaching on this team.   Also, if they are in this good of shape, personnel-wise, imagine what they would be like had Grigson not whiffed in a couple drafts.    

Defense hasn't really been the problem lately.  Held the Texans to 9 points on 3 TOs.  That is phenomenal.  Especially when one was nearly in the red zone.  The fact that we ran for 100 yards on them in HOU and failed to even try and run the ball consistently this time is just baffling to me.  In a game that close there is no reason for Luck to have 20+ pass attempts at the half (especially when we end up with only 3 points).

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

By looking at your assessment of the team, they should be much better than they are.      Not saying you are wrong.   Just seems to high lite the lack of good coaching on this team.   Also, if they are in this good of shape, personnel-wise, imagine what they would be like had Grigson not whiffed in a couple drafts.    

Yeah, I think the majority of starters are good and I do think the Colts record should be better than 6-7.  I do think the Colts need some work on the backend of the roster and yes, I think Pagano is over his head as a HC and I am not a fan of the DC.

I'm not a huge fan of Grigson's either, but he has shown improvement in the last couple of drafts.  When you look at his picks in rounds 4-7 in 15 and 16, it shows that he's learning and getting better.

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

A fellow Dane - great!

7 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Things take time, but 5 years of Pagano & Gigson is more than enough.

Do you agree?

The worst thing to me is the lack of pressure on the defensive side of the ball. That has been absolutely inconsistent. But, we have some young guys like Anderson and Parry, who've been a good improvement. I hope they continue developing, and if next year is spent on improving the pass rush (both DE and OLB), things might change.

Another thing is that most of the improvements (almost all) have been through the draft and those guys need time to develop.

26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, I think the majority of starters are good and I do think the Colts record should be better than 6-7.  I do think the Colts need some work on the backend of the roster and yes, I think Pagano is over his head as a HC and I am not a fan of the DC.

I'm not a huge fan of Grigson's either, but he has shown improvement in the last couple of drafts.  When you look at his picks in rounds 4-7 in 15 and 16, it shows that he's learning and getting better.

I hope it's not that some of his darts, he's been blindly throwing, are hitting the target.  I read where, out of the 2012-2015 drafts, only 10 players remain (1 being Luck).  That is a pathetic record.  I'm fairly certain you or I could hit that mark.   It would be interesting to see who we took vs who "the experts" thought was the best player left.  

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope it's not that some of his darts, he's been blindly throwing, are hitting the target.  I read where, out of the 2012-2015 drafts, only 10 players remain (1 being Luck).  That is a pathetic record.  I'm fairly certain you or I could hit that mark.   It would be interesting to see who we took vs who "the experts" thought was the best player left.  

Actually it's 11.  Hugh Thornton is still part of the team.  11 out of 26.  I'd be willing to bet that is about on par with a rookie GM in his first 4 years.  But I don't know.

2 hours ago, UKCOLT17 said:

Offense cost us this game but let's not forget defence cost us the first game against them.

With even an average defense, this team easily wins this division.  Average defense, respectable running game... easily.

Yes, defense is the #1 problem.  Minus the Tolzien game, this offense was what, top 5, going into the game?  Sure you could improve and refine the offense, but without a dramatic improvement on the defensive side, you will only see marginal improvement overall.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

With the 14th pick the Indianapolis Colts select - Kicker Sqreew U, from  OP Ur´s (OregonPopulisticUniversity)

Just fire grigson and pagan before they make more bad decisions. 

If these guys are still employed by the end of the week then Irsay will deserve whatever is coming to him.  They should have gone this time last year.

On 12/12/2016 at 8:17 AM, Myles said:

This team seems to need allot.    O-line has to be first.   I think Grigson has set them so far back that they have to just put band aids on their problems now.  

That's basically what he's been doing since he got here. It made sense 2012-2014 but it's been 5 years now. Should have a young nucleus of playmakers on both sides of the ball.