Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is The Pro Bowl Played Before The Super Bowl?

ReMeDy

Obviously, Pro-Bowl players elligible for the Super Bowl would not attend to avoid unncessary injuries and concentrate on game planning their Superbowl opponent, but this also means those same players miss out on a trip to Hawaii to mingle with some of the brightest up and coming athletes. For young Pro Bowl + Superbowl elligible players, this feels like a slap in the face to them.

Why did the top brass want to have the Pro Bowl before the Superbowl? Obviously, the motivation has to be money, but is there really that big of a difference to justify robbing the Superbowl ellgible players a chance to go to Hawaii?

I think they changed it to a week before the superbowl so the teams in the SB would have more time to rest. Also, I'm sure they changed it to the fact the pro bowl ratings were on a decline due te fact it used to be played after the SB and people weren't as interested in Football due to the season being over.

I think they changed it to a week before the superbowl so the teams in the SB would have more time to rest. Also, I'm sure they changed it to the fact the pro bowl ratings were on a decline due te fact it used to be played after the SB and people weren't as interested in Football due to the season being over.

Bold part is wrong, the rest is correct. Actually the ratings have always been horrid. They used to play at about 1pm EST. A few years back they moved it to primetime, moved it to prior to the SB, and I believe they even moved the event to Miami (?) for one year.

I believe the thinking was that many passive fans tune out the NFL after the season. So the Pro-Bowl fills the void in the two weeks between the conference championships and the SB, supposedly adding to the excitement leading up to the SB.

Personally I hate it. It has been a tradition of mine for many many years to watch the probowl to close out the season.

The games are getting more and more pathetic each year, this year being the worst effort I have ever seen. It was a sham, a scam and a big "#$%* you" to the fans.

I have watched since they first started airing the PB, I will never watch another one.

The year it was played in Miami....gosh that sucked. Last night wasn't much better, but hey it was a reward for the players and their families, and returning to Hawaii gives a nice boost to the local economy (trust me, Hawaii has suffered along with the rest of the US in these tough times...been there several times and consider it my 2nd home of sorts)

I don't like it before the SB b/c the SB players don't play in it....and yes the effort was terrible until the 4th quarter when the money was on the line....the line play was a joke; looked like a walkthrough. Put it back after the SB, it's gonna get bad ratings anyway, and it's terrible football but it's SOMETHING to watch...until Daytona 500 and March Madness get going

Bold part is wrong, the rest is correct. Actually the ratings have always been horrid. They used to play at about 1pm EST. A few years back they moved it to primetime, moved it to prior to the SB, and I believe they even moved the event to Miami (?) for one year.

I believe the thinking was that many passive fans tune out the NFL after the season. So the Pro-Bowl fills the void in the two weeks between the conference championships and the SB, supposedly adding to the excitement leading up to the SB.

Personally I hate it. It has been a tradition of mine for many many years to watch the probowl to close out the season.

The games are getting more and more pathetic each year, this year being the worst effort I have ever seen. It was a sham, a scam and a big "#$%* you" to the fans.

I have watched since they first started airing the PB, I will never watch another one.

yeah I'd rather see it after the SB. Its a meaningless game so let it be the last.

Also the SB players dont participate do they? which is another reason.

yeah I'd rather see it after the SB. Its a meaningless game so let it be the last.

Also the SB players dont participate do they? which is another reason.

Nope. Which is funny how that works. The best teams often have the best players. The best teams often make the SB. The PB is supposed to feature the best players.......so WTH?