Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So what's the outlook on Kelly after 12 games?

DalTXColtsFan

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm just getting at is that we needed a Center that will be better than what we've had previously. We got him at #18 to solidify that position for years to come and he will only get better. Might not have been BPA, who knows, but we got a player that was needed for years now. Pretty good start for a rookie.  I don't get why people are saying he's not worth a high draft pick so far. I guess they're okay with Luck getting pounded within seconds the last few years straight up the middle. The pick helps us right away, and it would have been much much more of a guessing game had we not drafted Kelly. Who else was there that's playing just as well?

Cody Whitehair. I had no problem with the Ryan Kelly pick. When looking at a first round pick, Particularly around the middle 1st like we had your generally trying to get not just an average player but a great player. Ryan Kelly has brought stability to the Center spot from a pass blocking perspective but he hasn't really got it done run blocking wise

He has been average. Not a high impact player or great player

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Cody Whitehair. I had no problem with the Ryan Kelly pick. When looking at a first round pick, Particularly around the middle 1st like we had your generally trying to get not just an average player but a great player. Ryan Kelly has brought stability to the Center spot from a pass blocking perspective but he hasn't really got it done run blocking wise

He has been average. Not a high impact player or great player

Man I don't know... I think he's a high impact player for us because it has helped our O-Line immediately. Sure we could have got Whitehair if Kelly was gone and take a gamble. But I think since he's not a pass rusher, shutdown corner, or a megatron WR then he's not an impact player. He's a Center, and has only played 12ish professional games and has done fairly well. He will only get better, that's what should be excited about him.

I think he's at least above average for the position right now and in a few years could very well be a Top 5 center in football. Sure, we could've taken Whitehair (hindsight is 20/20), but he was far less of a guarantee than Kelly, and we really couldn't afford to purely whiff on the offensive line anymore. 

12 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

...Polian drafted 3 Centers in one draft.....  

...  one of them was a 2nd rounder, and they were all busts...Polian tried and failed to find Saturday's eventual replacement...which is why the Colts had no center when Grigson arrived....and even Saturday became a Colt only because a DT on the Colts had played against Saturday in college and persuaded management to sign him as an undrafted free agent ....and the great tackle tandem of Glenn and Meadows was a a gift from Vince Tobin....not excusing Grigson, just making a point that building a good O line is not easy

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I don;t think those high picks guarantee anything certainly but I do think the odds go up that they will work out with higher picks.  For every one of the low round guys who are in the HOF I could probably show you 4 or 5 who were high picks who made it.

Yeah no draft pick is a guarantee. But I think thinking you can address a position group without spending high round picks or big money is absurd. Either you draft a guy in the first 3-4 rounds or you pay big money for one. And chances are the guy you're bringing in from FA was probably a high round pick to begin with. The Cowboys have 4 starters on the O-line drafted in the first 4 rounds.

18 hours ago, egg said:

The Colts have gained 24 rushing 1st downs between the guards, which is 12th best in the league. They have also allowed only 2 negative rushes between the guards which is tied for 2nd best in the league.

We do have to rush up the middle a lot because neither of are guards have enough foot speed to pull.

Kelly looks pretty solid overall. And he can pull to the outside quite well.
 Give him a couple years and he could be VG.

16 hours ago, akcolt said:

I wasn't a fan of taking a C at 18 but Kelly has been solid  at a position Grig's hadn't been able to fix since he arrived. If you need the 18th to finally fix that's what you do. 

The draft overall could have been better. A project in the 3rd and a reach in the 4th. That means 2 of the 5 picks in the top 125 we get nothing. Then taking a second C in the 7th a guy who offers no position flexibility. IMO Blythe puts in question the ability to construct a roster. Why would you spend the 18th over pick on a C then draft a C only in the 7th?

Morrison is another slow linebacker that can't cover lacks speed to play sideline to sideline. I couldn't find anyone who thought he was more than a late day 3 - UDFA prospect predraft. CB's Robinson and Hall and our choice at RB Howard Booker Dixon all sitting there.

We hear how we looked at Ferguson hard early day 3. It really makes you wonder how close this was to a disaster. You replace Haeg or Ridgeway with Ferguson things aren't ok. I'm concerned what direction we take in this years draft. I don't like the Clark pick. Maybe it turns to gold but we weren't in a spot to roll dice in the 3rd. Morrison and Blythe were just bad.

That 3rd rd project has a great body and the foot speed to be a starting LT. Add the amazing reach.
  He should be ready to play next season if needed and ready to start in 2018 for sure.
 I`m a big fan of drafting for player development. This was a solid pick at a highest of value position.
  Betcha Morrison is a Chuck pick. A real wood chopper that Morrison. Undraftable IMO.
  And Ferguson being considered in the 3rd raises ANOTHER Big red flag.

As an NFL center:  B-

As a rookie NFL center:  A

In a couple years, I could easily see him becoming one of the better C in the league.

Yes he was the safe pick and that was good thing considering who came before.  If we had tried to play some games and drop down in the draft or pick another position and try to "make due" with whatever center was available later, etc., and we ended up getting the second coming of Sampson Satele instead, we'd all be furious right now.  I give Grigs credit for making the safe pick and avoiding temptation to try and get greedy.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Good player, worth the pick for the Colts, not a great value overall due to his position. But I think the Colts got a long term player at a position they've been struggling with for four years, so I'm going to shrug that off.

Good "need" pick!  ;)

Lol the one year luck isn't being dropped from up the middle and y'all are saying "he's not a sexy pick" "he's average" well then guys lets go back to the satele days where luck couldn't even step up stop crying all the time It's a Sexy Great pick because WE NEED AN OLINE like what don't you understand lol don't see the damn Cowboys complaining about drafting an OLINE look at them best record in the league starting some damn rookies but were  crying because Kelly wasn't a sexy pick lmao this forum man 

This season would be a literal pile of trash without him. I'd rather have him than a pass rusher and a watermelon on a stick playing QB. Don't really subscribe to the "value" crap. We needed him, he's doing well. Saying he hasn't lived up to his draft position is dumb when you turn around 5 minutes later and yell at someone for judging players too early. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Lol the one year luck isn't being dropped from up the middle and y'all are saying "he's not a sexy pick" "he's average" well then guys lets go back to the satele days where luck couldn't even step up stop crying all the time It's a Sexy Great pick because WE NEED AN OLINE like what don't you understand lol don't see the damn Cowboys complaining about drafting an OLINE look at them best record in the league starting some damn rookies but were  crying because Kelly wasn't a sexy pick lmao this forum man 

Dear comma and full stop, I hope you are enjoying your vacation. See you soon, "quotation marks".

That aside, good post.

9 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Dear comma and full stop, I hope you are enjoying your vacation. See you soon, "quotation marks".

That aside, good post.

haha I probably usually say in all my posts that I never feel like using commas and whatnot on my phone too lazy but I apologize bro

3 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Good "need" pick!  ;)

Yes and no. It was obviously influenced by need, but I saw Kelly as a top 20 player, especially if you eliminate or downgrade some of the question mark players (Spence, Smith, Jack, Nkemdiche, Lawson, etc.) So I wouldn't say they reached for need. 

On December 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Dustin said:

He's above-average in pass pro and average run blocking. 

Impressive for a rookie but an average to slightly above average player overall. Definitely worth such a high-draft pick so far. 

Fixed your post for reality.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:16 PM, Dustin said:

He's above-average in pass pro and below-average run blocking. 

Impressive for a rookie but an average players overall. Definitely not worth such a high-draft pick so far. 

One question, Name a Center picked around where Kelly was picked who played much better personally at their position? Even Pouncey had ups and downs. Wasnt Puncey hurt as well or not? I'm thinking Mangold from jets was solid since day 1. Thoughts?

On 12/7/2016 at 5:27 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Assuming Kelly continues to show the weekly improvement in the remain weeks as he has to this point in the season I would grade the Kelly draft as A-.  His line calls seem to be on the money, his technique is very good. His body positioning during his pass set is excellent and his leg drive during run blocking is top notch.

The negatives are is pass pro he still gets set up and then beat because NFL dlineman have much better hand use and savy then he saw in college (that can only be fixed with experience) and in run blocking he will lean a bit much at the waist and lose balance taking away his power.

But with the limited options at rush LB, no chance he would have lasted until the 2nd round and his good play and steady improvement it's hard to say much negative about the pick.

As a Michigan fan, I would have preferred Graham Glasgow but that's just me. :D

Who? graham gloouuutttthhhhh? Exactly. Kelly > Glouuutthhh-hh

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

One question, Name a Center picked around where Kelly was picked who played much better personally at their position? Even Pouncey had ups and downs. Wasnt Puncey hurt as well or not? I'm thinking Mangold from jets was solid since day 1. Thoughts?

Travis Frederick

Alex Mack

Impressive for a rookie but an average players overall. Definitely not worth such a high-draft pick so far. 

Alex Mack and Travis Frederick and both Pouncey's.

Sent from my SM-G930V *

15 hours ago, Gavin said:

^ This pretty well sums it all up. Solid player but has not proven to be worth such a draft pick yet

Would you have liked it more if Colts drafted him in the 20s? Or in the second round? Exactly. You aren't thinking. He wouldn't have been there had we passed. So we may have gotten a less proven player and have Samson Satelle (off the streets) or your boy 72 (Harrison) at Center. (claps) you did it this time jimmy! Lol

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Alex Mack and Travis Frederick and both Pouncey's.

Sent from my SM-G930V *

Last question, was there a player of the caliber as the players you mentioned in the draft? Just saying. People can want Orlando Pace all day, and Johnathan O all day, but they don't come out every year.

On 12/7/2016 at 3:11 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

Does he look like he was worth the 18th-overall pick?

To be completely honest, this will be the question of the year at the end of the year. But guess what? You cannot hate Grigs for this move. It was sound. Absolutely best option for Luck, Online, and Team. Everyone hating, was on the protect luck bandwagon and just forgot about it. It happens.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:16 PM, Dustin said:

Wait... There's a trade. Team _ moves up to 18. 

And with the 19th pick of the NFL DRAFT.... The New England Patriots select Center Ryan Kelly from the university of Alabama...    

So do you want to jump in the river now or later? Smh This could have very well played out. And you know this, Mannnn!

On 12/7/2016 at 1:16 PM, Dustin said:

Oh, Dear God.....    did you actually say that?

Wow.....     I know you haven't posted much this year,  but I didn't expect this from you....

Didn't see this coming.....

Personally I love Ryan Kelly on our team. He was by far the correct pick for us after guys like Jack Conklin and Taylor Decker went off the board. There have been a few awesome late picks like Jordan Howard and Tyreek Hill, along with some incredible early picks like Jalen Ramsey and Ezekiel Elliott, but there's no one else in that range who would of been better. Conklin and Decker were gone, a guy like Michael Thomas would of been a dumb pick for us. Cody Whitehair may be slightly better right now, but we had a chance at him in the 2nd before trading down, so it would of been a huge reach. Kelly was the only pick with and without hindsight we could of made.

Actually very proud of Grigson for this pick, and I'm not a Grigson fan.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:11 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

Does he look like he was worth the 18th-overall pick?

He looks to be a good starter for many years to come. Barring major injury he should be one of the anchors on this line going forward. Is he gonna be an all time great? I doubt it but he looks good enough in his first year to have a good long career and I'd say he has Jeff Saturday potential and that's not bad at all. Say what you want about whether it was a value pick but for the Colts at that particular point I think it was a must have pick.

2 hours ago, theanarchist said:

He looks to be a good starter for many years to come. Barring major injury he should be one of the anchors on this line going forward. Is he gonna be an all time great? I doubt it but he looks good enough in his first year to have a good long career and I'd say he has Jeff Saturday potential and that's not bad at all. Say what you want about whether it was a value pick but for the Colts at that particular point I think it was a must have pick.

and really what more could you ask for a mid first round pick?  He's a plug and play player and now it's one less position you have to worry about and will only get better.

i think kelly was a nice safe pick, who will probably get better over the next few seasons

its funny, some of the people that dont like the pick were bashing grigson for not taking Nkemdiche, who was probably the second most disappointing first rounder taken this year

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

and really what more could you ask for a mid first round pick?  He's a plug and play player and now it's one less position you have to worry about and will only get better.

Exactly.  With a first round pick a team is trying to get a cornerstone player.  From all indications, that is exactly what Kelly is... a day one starter that (barring injury or outrageous contract issues) seems to have all the tools to handle that position for the next 10-15 years for the Colts.  No matter is you like or hate Grigson, that is a win and a good pick.