Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Super Bowl Destiny?

Jules

Seems so odd to me and I should have seen it all coming. I started to get a feeling on the Giants after they beat down Atlanta but was not sure yet. Watching the mistakes the Ravens/Niners/Packers made.....well it almost seemed like the two teams in the big dance were meant to be here.

Which is so odd considering where the Super Bowl is. One team is led by the arch rival of Peyton for his entire career. The other led by his baby brother.

Who is destined to win this thing? Not sure. If Brady and the Pats win the story is winning it for Myra Kraft mostly right now.

If Eli wins it is almost like....for me anyway, he is winning it for Peyton too based on the circumstances. We don't know what will happen with Peyton. But, we do know Peyton wants his brother to win if he can't. And it's IN Indy.

I can see this turning into am emotional game before and after......especially if Eli wins it all.

I don't buy any true competitive edge with the Manning brothers. They love each other dearly and always have. When people bring up Eli could have another ring I don't care. Not one bit.

I can see this turning into am emotional game before and after......especially if Eli wins it all.

I don't buy any true competitive edge with the Manning brothers. They love each other dearly and always have. When people bring up Eli could have another ring I don't care. Not one bit.

I agree to this; the way they were raised, yeah they may be competitive, but at the end of the day, we all know Peyton is rooting for Eli..2 or 3 superbowls.

It will only be the media who stirs things up and say Eli is better, etc. etc.

yeah Eli can have to rings and I dont think he will be considered better than peyton..Look at Brady, He has 3 or 4 rings right? and I still dont think he is better.

you have to divide qb's into 2 seperate groups I think: The statistic Qb's like Manning and then the Championship Qb's like Brady and Big Ben.

So I dont think you can compare Eli to Manning just because he has 2 rings, but you can compare him to Big Ben and Brady. Although this game is played to win championships, there still needs to be the division of qb's when talking greatness IMO

yeah Eli can have to rings and I dont think he will be considered better than peyton..Look at Brady, He has 3 or 4 rings right? and I still dont think he is better.

you have to divide qb's into 2 seperate groups I think: The statistic Qb's like Manning and then the Championship Qb's like Brady and Big Ben.

So I dont think you can compare Eli to Manning just because he has 2 rings, but you can compare him to Big Ben and Brady. Although this game is played to win championships, there still needs to be the division of qb's when talking greatness IMO

I am starting to wonder if Rodgers may be put in that group UNLESS the Packers can fix the D. The D fell off a bridge this year, it was awful. Shockingly bad at times. He will win MVPs and has a ring but will he get more? Granted he is still young so who knows.

Brees too maybe. His D got owned by Alex Smith for God sakes.

I could see Rodgers or Brees getting another ring. But.....the defenses........my God.

I am more then fine if Eli gets another ring. Or two more. I HATE when people put the Manning brothers vs. each other.

Eli Manning, asked if he's concerned about his brother Peyton's football future: "“I know Peyton is going to do everything he can to rehab and get back. He has a great desire to play football. He wants to continue to play. But anytime you’re dealing with a neck it takes time for those things to heal up. I’ve been thinking about him a lot and praying for him and hoping he can get back on the playing field because he’s been such a joy to watch. I’m rooting him to get back.”

Eli Manning, asked if he's concerned about his brother Peyton's football future: "“I know Peyton is going to do everything he can to rehab and get back. He has a great desire to play football. He wants to continue to play. But anytime you’re dealing with a neck it takes time for those things to heal up. I’ve been thinking about him a lot and praying for him and hoping he can get back on the playing field because he’s been such a joy to watch. I’m rooting him to get back.”

Oh Eli!!! You little sweetheart you.

Hey we all wanted Manning in the big one. It's a different Manning. And it's Manning vs. Brady.....in Indy.

Hey we all wanted Manning in the big one. It's a different Manning. And it's Manning vs. Brady.....in Indy.

Please..Please...Please..ELI.....beat Brady again. I do want to watch football next year with out throwing up....

He also mentioned how lucky he has been to have been watching Peyton QB since Peyton was in 7th grade. I remember an interview with Eli before their last superbowl and he was asked to give a one word description of each of his family members. For both mom and dad he said "a Saint" for Cooper "a character". For Peyton - "the best"

He also mentioned how lucky he has been to have been watching Peyton QB since Peyton was in 7th grade. I remember an interview with Eli before their last superbowl and he was asked to give a one word description of each of his family members. For both mom and dad he said "a Saint" for Cooper "a character". For Peyton - "the best"

:tears: :(

In the 70s, the rivalry was the Steelers and Raiders. The Raiders broke through to win 1 SB, the Steelers won 4 SBs and so did Bradshaw.

Brady vs Manning could end up that way, Brady winning 4, Manning winning 1. But then, stranger things have happened. Eli Manning is that pesky little thorn for the Patriots and he will become an eternal one if he wins this one vs the Pats.

Belichick used to have this record vs teams that he played in the regular season and played them again in the playoffs. Win or lose in the regular season, come playoff time it was generally a win.

It all changed with the Broncos in 2005.

2005 - Broncos beat them in the regular season and the playoffs.

2006 - Peyton beat them in the regular season and the playoffs.

2007 - Giants lost to the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs.

2008 - Brady down, no playoffs

2009 - Ravens lost to the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs

2010 - Jets split with the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs

2011 - Giants beat them in the regular season and ????

In the 70s, the rivalry was the Steelers and Raiders. The Raiders broke through to win 1 SB, the Steelers won 4 SBs and so did Bradshaw.

Brady vs Manning could end up that way, Brady winning 4, Manning winning 1. But then, stranger things have happened. Eli Manning is that pesky little thorn for the Patriots and he will become an eternal one if he wins this one vs the Pats.

Belichick used to have this record vs teams that he played in the regular season and played them again in the playoffs. Win or lose in the regular season, come playoff time it was generally a win.

It all changed with the Broncos in 2005.

2005 - Broncos beat them in the regular season and the playoffs.

2006 - Peyton beat them in the regular season and the playoffs.

2007 - Giants lost to the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs.

2008 - Brady down, no playoffs

2009 - Ravens lost to the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs

2010 - Jets split with the Pats in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs

2011 - Giants beat them in the regular season and ????

Let's hope for a repeat of 2006.

And Eli becoming that pesky little thorn. Gotta admit, he has been as pesky and prickly as can be for the Pats. We all have one. For us it's probably Rivers and the Chargers. Rivers has been a thorn in our rears for years.

Eli seems tough to predict. He can pull the magic out at any time, especially vs. NE.

Patriots got "lucky" and got in the SB

Eli and the Giants had to claw and battle to get in.

I will take the battle tested team to win it all this year

A lot of similarities to 2007. Winning in GB again. WInning in OT in the elements in the title game vs. #2 seed after a lucky turnover. Beating an NFC South team in the WC round.

And in the AFC, the Pats beat the Jags in the divisonal round who upset the Steelers in the WC round in 2007. This year the Pats beat the Broncos smoothly like those Jags. Broncos upset the Steelers. Brady had a shaky game vs. the Ravens. He had a shaky game vs. the Chargers in 2007 for the title game.

Gronk in walking boot. Brady in walking boot before leaving for the SB in 2007.

Giants arrived after Pats for the 2007 SB. Giants will arive after Pats for this SB.

Giants road team for 2007 SB. Giants road team again.

AI winner Jordin Sparks does National Anthem for 2007 SB. AI winner Kelly Clarkson does this one.

We'll see.

For us it's probably Rivers and the Chargers. Rivers has been a thorn in our rears for years.

It has been more a case of our line play. Misdirection plays called by Norv, screen passes called by Norv, taller WRs vs our midget CBs, special teams disadvantage vs Chargers, inability to run the ball vs their D-line all have contributed to several losses vs Chargers. If we had matchup nightmares across the board, the Chargers had the players to exploit it. Even Robo Punter had the game of his life vs us. The Pats did not have a Sproles or several tall WRs or did not call as many screens as the Chargers did on offense, those consistently gave us fits and we never ever had an answer for those. When you see other teams realizing the way to beat the Chargers a lot of times was to slow their pass rush and run vs them when the Chargers had it going (Merriman, Philips, Turner and Sproles days), we could not accomplish the same - so we went strength vs strength with our passing O vs their pass D.

I could go on and on with the Chargers games and what we could have done differently but the make up of the team was just not wired to beat the Chargers, unfortunately. We never adjusted either on D.

It has been more a case of our line play. Misdirection plays called by Norv, screen passes called by Norv, taller WRs vs our midget CBs, special teams disadvantage vs Chargers, inability to run the ball vs their D-line all have contributed to several losses vs Chargers. If we had matchup nightmares across the board, the Chargers had the players to exploit it. Even Robo Punter had the game of his life vs us. The Pats did not have a Sproles or several tall WRs or did not call as many screens as the Chargers did on offense, those consistently gave us fits and we never ever had an answer for those. When you see other teams realizing the way to beat the Chargers a lot of times was to slow their pass rush and run vs them when the Chargers had it going, we could not accomplish the same - so we went strength vs strength with our passing O vs their pass D.

I could go on and on with the Chargers games and what we could have done differently but the make up of the team was just not wired to beat the Chargers, unfortunately. We never adjusted either on D.

I didn't want to get too into those matchups lol. We never run vs. the Chargers either going back to 2005. They stuff us.

Another thing. I once read this is the third SB rematch in history between QBs? I think it was Cowboys/Steelers of the 70's. And Cowboys/Bills of the 90's. The first winner won the second won.

A lot of similarities to 2007. Winning in GB again. WInning in OT in the elements in the title game vs. #2 seed after a lucky turnover. Beating an NFC South team in the WC round.

And in the AFC, the Pats beat the Jags in the divisonal round who upset the Steelers in the WC round in 2007. This year the Pats beat the Broncos smoothly like those Jags. Broncos upset the Steelers. Brady had a shaky game vs. the Ravens. He had a shaky game vs. the Chargers in 2007 for the title game.

Gronk in walking boot. Brady in walking boot before leaving for the SB in 2007.

Giants arrived after Pats for the 2007 SB. Giants will arive after Pats for this SB.

Giants road team for 2007 SB. Giants road team again.

AI winner Jordin Sparks does National Anthem for 2007 SB. AI winner Kelly Clarkson does this one.

We'll see.

One difference is Giants are a 9-7 team this time, compared to 10-6 then. Can anyone tell me if any 9-7 team has won, ever? The Cardinals came close but that is about it, from what I can remember. We have had several 10-6 teams win including the Giants and Packers lately as wild cards.

I knew a Pats fan would have definitely grasped on to this fact, and I was right:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/889097-facts-not-junk-no-9-7-team-has-ever-won-super-bowl.html

One difference is Giants are a 9-7 team this time, compared to 10-6 then. Can anyone tell me if any 9-7 team has won, ever? The Cardinals came close but that is about it, from what I can remember. We have had several 10-6 teams win including the Giants and Packers lately as wild cards.

A bottom 3 defense from the regular season has never won it all either. Hey someone might win someday at 9-7. The Cardinals almost did vs. the Steelers and IMO SHOULD have.

Sounds like you are leaning towards NE Chad. Unless you are working the jinx again. ;)

Honestly IMO, this was a really cushy season for NE schedule wise. Really cushy......

The NFC had a lot more competition I felt.

Honestly I just kinda want this stupid season done with already. It sucked.

I want Eli though now to get it done to end on at least somewhat a positive note. I am not sure I feel there is a huge difference between 10 and 9 wins though, especially when so many of those games are close ones.

A 9-7 team has not yet won the superbowl. When was the last time that a team with the best record in the regular season ended up winning the superbowl?

Well there is a first time for everything. A bottom feeder D at 31 will either win it all or a 9-7 team.

And the AFC first seeds have not won a SB for a while either.

A bottom 3 defense from the regular season has never won it all either. Hey someone might win someday at 9-7. The Cardinals almost did vs. the Steelers and IMO SHOULD have.

Sounds like you are leaning towards NE Chad. Unless you are working the jinx again. ;)

Honestly IMO, this was a really cushy season for NE schedule wise. Really cushy......

The NFC had a lot more competition I felt.

No, I am leaning towards the Giants in a close one for another reason. Since the divisions got re-aligned IN 2002, no team that has played the AFC West entirely has ever won the SB. Raiders were the last one to make it having played the AFC West and they lost. Packers played the AFC West this year. Pats are the second team to make the SB for a team that played the AFC West entirely since 2002.

But the Pats have the NFC East factor going for them - a team that played the NFC East or from the NFC East has won the SB since 2006. Colts in 2006, Giants in 2007 vs Pats (who also played the NFC East), Pitt in 2008 vs Cardinals (who also played the NFC East), Saints in 2009, Packers in 2010 all fit the pattern. Note that when the NFC East factor applies to both teams, it is a dog fight in the SB, like in 2007 & 2008 till the end.

That is why I feel the 49ers/Giants winner could be the likely winner in the SB since they did not have the AFC West factor against them but had the NFC East factor going for them. But then, patterns are just that. Which one is more powerful - the AFC West jinx or the NFC East schedule lucky charm? :)

No, I am leaning towards the Giants in a close one for another reason. Since the divisions got re-aligned IN 2002, no team that has played the AFC West entirely has ever won the SB. Raiders were the last one to make it having played the AFC West and they lost. Packers played the AFC West this year. Pats are the second team to make the SB for a team that played the AFC West entirely since 2002.

But the Pats have the NFC East factor going for them - a team that played the NFC East or from the NFC East has won the SB since 2006. Colts in 2006, Giants in 2007 vs Pats (who also played the NFC East), Pitt in 2008 vs Cardinals (who also played the NFC East), Saints in 2009, Packers in 2010 all fit the pattern.

That is why I knew the 49ers/Giants winner could be the likely winner in the SB since they did not have the AFC West factor against them. But then, patterns are just that. Which one is more powerful - the AFC West jinx or the NFC East schedule lucky charm? :)

Ahhh our patterns again. I swear, the season is over before it starts then for some teams. The Ravens were OH so close though.

Honestly, I had much less faith in the Niners. Alex Smith and that offense.....well I trust Harbaugh and their D but I felt the Pats could handle them better.

Now with Eli and his receivers it's a bigger challenge. I don't feel the Pats have been challenged as much on defense as the Giants have been this season. And not to mention when Eli went to NE this year he was missing Nicks/Bradshaw and the others had not reach their peak yet.

I have no idea how competitve Peyton and Eli are. But, I do think that they would both tell us that football is the ultimate team sport and that the # of rings does not necessarily equate to one QB being better than another.

Now, if Peyton and Eli were Venus and Serena; that would be a different story.

feedback-tab.png?t=feedback&c=ffffff&r=90

Eli on Peyton to ESPN: "I think with the way the whole season has gone, and being injured, and missing a full season, actually, I thought he's handled it better than I thought he would. I thought without football that he would just go crazy, but he's handled it well, he's kept his good spirits, he's stayed strong."

I think the timing of the twins was good for Peyton. Gave him something to focus on outside of football.

Well if she was, 3 pairs of QB's have faced off twice in the Super Bowl.

Terry Bradshaw 2-0 vs. Roger Staubach

Troy Aikman 2-0 vs. Jim Kelly

Eli Manning 1-0 vs. Tom Brady

The Pats are undefeated in Super Bowls where BB wears his normal hoodie. haha

Honestly then chad, this gives a big edge to the Giants. They did not only from the NFC East they also PLAYED the AFC East.

True. However, when the Saints won the SB, they had lost to the Tampa Bay Bucs and had lost their last 3 of the regular season. Teams that had those 2 going had never won the SB. But then, the NFL seemed like it wanted the Saints to win vs the Vikes by not calling those roughing calls on Favre and calling some bogus PI calls vs the Vikes in OT. Not to mention no flags on Saints bench players or coaches when they came on to the field before a final ruling was reached with the onside kick.

That is when I learnt not to put too much stock into these patterns :) :).

I am starting to wonder if Rodgers may be put in that group UNLESS the Packers can fix the D. The D fell off a bridge this year, it was awful. Shockingly bad at times. He will win MVPs and has a ring but will he get more? Granted he is still young so who knows.

Brees too maybe. His D got owned by Alex Smith for God sakes.

I could see Rodgers or Brees getting another ring. But.....the defenses........my God.

I am more then fine if Eli gets another ring. Or two more. I HATE when people put the Manning brothers vs. each other.

Rodgers isn't that young. I mean, this was his 8th season in the league.

Manning also isn't a "statistical QB," as he's won a championship, and has been to another. He's a great QB, period.

Brady is a beneficiary of a great system, as is Big Ben - as were Troy Aikman, and Terry Bradshaw. Golden Boys who won a lot, but didn't have to do much of anything to get there. Granted, you can only play with who you've got, and you can only execute a gameplan the coaches you have set forth. Still, the Super Bowl dynasties are not products of a QB, but of a great system. The QB is a much smaller piece in those systems.

One needs to look no further than Brady's stats in all but one of his last 5 playoff games. He literally hurt his team more than he helped them, but they got wins.

I have no idea how competitve Peyton and Eli are. But, I do think that they would both tell us that football is the ultimate team sport and that the # of rings does not necessarily equate to one QB being better than another.

Now, if Peyton and Eli were Venus and Serena; that would be a different story.

Whether or not Eli is better than Peyton doesn't matter. However, with the extra ring he'd definitely have the family bragging rights. PERIOD. ELI :lombardi: :lombardi: vs. :manning: :lombardi: vs. Dad 0. I bet Peyton would trade a few of those MVP's for another :lombardi: .

Eli so far is doing his best to back up his statement that he is among the "elite" quarterbacks. I heard some guy on the radio today say you can't spell "elite" without "Eli". Thought it was pretty funny.

Whether or not Eli is better than Peyton doesn't matter. However, with the extra ring he'd definitely have the family bragging rights. PERIOD. ELI :lombardi: :lombardi: vs. :manning: :lombardi: vs. Dad 0. I bet Peyton would trade a few of those MVP's for another :lombardi: .

Eli so far is doing his best to back up his statement that he is among the "elite" quarterbacks. I heard some guy on the radio today say you can't spell "elite" without "Eli". Thought it was pretty funny.

I agree that Peyton would trade those MVP's for another trophy.

I also agree that should the Giants win the SB, Eli would have the family bragging rights.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think they will sit around the fireside bragging about who has more rings because they know that unlike tennis, football requires more than one person to earn that ring/trophy.

I believe the Giants have a better chance at this one than they did in 2006. That year it was a miracle, this time I think they should be favored. And I have an idea the Giants defense is going to be what gets it done. I envision Brady sacked about 8 times and leveled another dozen after throwing. It is indoors, but if was outdoors in a rainstorm, he would look far worse than Eli did in San Fran.

It seems to me that if Peyton retires, he would want Eli to win a ring every year for the rest of his career.

That moment the two shared after the first Giants SB win vs the Patriots in the locker room you could just tell how happy Peyton was for him. Peyton & Cooper were more competitive because they were closer in age, but Peyton would love it if Eli broke every Super Bowl passing record next Sunday.

So would i. I only ask that he scores 1 more than the Patriots.

I agree that Peyton would trade those MVP's for another trophy.

I also agree that should the Giants win the SB, Eli would have the family bragging rights.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think they will sit around the fireside bragging about who has more rings because they know that unlike tennis, football requires more than one person to earn that ring/trophy.

Yeah I agree but I their will probably be some good natured brotherly ribbing from time to time. I mean come on now...who wouldn't?...I'm sure it'd be all in fun...and it's quite normal. :D

Rodgers isn't that young. I mean, this was his 8th season in the league.

Manning also isn't a "statistical QB," as he's won a championship, and has been to another. He's a great QB, period.

Brady is a beneficiary of a great system, as is Big Ben - as were Troy Aikman, and Terry Bradshaw. Golden Boys who won a lot, but didn't have to do much of anything to get there. Granted, you can only play with who you've got, and you can only execute a gameplan the coaches you have set forth. Still, the Super Bowl dynasties are not products of a QB, but of a great system. The QB is a much smaller piece in those systems.

One needs to look no further than Brady's stats in all but one of his last 5 playoff games. He literally hurt his team more than he helped them, but they got wins.

More ridiculous Brady-hating garbage, Doogan.

And as usual, you make a derogatory Brady statement without:

1. Providing a single shred of evidence to support it...

2. Considering the ramifications of someone making the same argument against YOUR guy...