Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gronk to have surgery, to miss several weeks

chad72

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Miami's last 5 games are Baltimore, Arizona, Jets Buffalo and NE....

If they win them all and NE loses at Denver....Miami wins the AFC East

The dolphins lost to Garrapolo and gronk wasn't in that game either.   Miami doesn't scare anyone

22 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

One has to wonder how much longer Gronks playing career can go with his back injuries and other nagging injuries. I'd  say that his playing days in the NFL might be alot closer to being over than what many people think. 

I am thinking he retires when Brady retires. I just can't see him staying around to break in a new QB with his injuries. (And he knows his stats will go down too with it)

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Miami's last 5 games are Baltimore, Arizona, Jets Buffalo and NE....

If they win them all and NE loses at Denver....Miami wins the AFC East

They could easily LOSE all those games as well. 3 division games as you know are never easy and Arizona And Baltimore D is better than ANY they have faced these last 6 games. I mean they almost lost to SF! SF!!!!! So ya they be 9-7 at the end of the year IMO

A former Patriots doctor said this injury could be career ending.  It is a possibility.  I would feel real bad for Gronk if that happened.  I hate the Pats but I don't wish any injury on any player and career ending is even worse. I heard on Mike and Mike that Polian was told not to draft Gronk because of injury concerns. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. 

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

This is all Goodell's fault.  He's making guys hit lower than the helmet.  If Earl could have speared Gronk in the helmet, this would have never happened.  NFL is no fun league.

Yep, to be totally honest with you, this is what ticks me off about the NFL Commissioner: He doesn't give a darn about player safety. He just wants to reduce litigation over players suing the league for brain trauma after they retire from the game. 

If Roger gave a crap about safety, he'd dismantle TNF football entirely & not compel former players to hire lawyers to get medical care for surgeries they are entitled yrs after playing. 

Yes, I know. I hate TNF as a substandard product so you can claim I'm biased as a fan. All that is true. However, I despise TNF because it makes athletes that much more susceptible to injuries & this game is so taxing preparation wise that it's unfair to ask dudes that just played on SNF to play on TNF both mentally & physically IMO. I truly believe that. 

Hades, you can even call me a hypocrite if you want because if my Colts play, my Giants play, or NE plays on TNF I'm still DVring the game. But if 2 lousy teams play, I seldom watch it. LOL! 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yep, to be totally honest with you, this is what ticks me off about the NFL Commissioner: He doesn't give a darn about player safety. He just wants to reduce litigation over players suing the league for brain trauma after they retire from the game. 

If Roger gave a crap about safety, he'd dismantle TNF football entirely & not compel former players to hire lawyers to get medical care for surgeries they are entitled yrs after playing. 

Yes, I know. I hate TNF as a substandard product so you can claim I'm biased as a fan. All that is true. However, I despise TNF because it makes athletes that much more susceptible to injuries & this game is so taxing preparation wise that it's unfair to ask dudes that just played on SNF to play on TNF both mentally & physically IMO. I truly believe that. 

I don't know if you missed the sarcasm or quoted the wrong post, but someone found an exposed nerve. 

16 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I don't know if you missed the sarcasm or quoted the wrong post, but someone found an exposed nerve. 

Okay. Would you a some sort of present or cookie or something? If you're trying to lay a guilt trip on me, it won't work. 

This isn't the first time I've slammed TNF. You're point being what exactly? 

Also, even in sarcasm, there is more than a grain of truth, animosity, or hidden resentment. Not directed at you specifically BC just Goodell.

I also don't like football on Thursday because it's too close to the weekend & Monday needs to be the cutoff date for football during the regular season. 

Patriots fans can sugarcoat this injury all they want but this is really bad for them and they know it deep down. 3 players IMO they couldn't lose in order to win the SB were Brady, Gronk, and Edleman. Gronk is now out and Edleman takes a lot of hits (has had concussions) so who knows what his status may even be towards the end of the season because Brady will probably go to him even more now. The other day I said I would take them and the Cowboys and give the field up if I was to bet, that has changed now. I can now see a team like the Steelers beating them in the Playoffs if they are healthy because of their ability to score a lot of points, Raiders too. Chiefs are in that discussion but not a believer in Alex Smith. I wonder how the Colts would do against them as well if we get in because Gronk is the 1 guy that always kills us. Andrew if healthy can put up a lot of points as well.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Patriots fans can sugarcoat this injury all they want but this is really bad for them and they know it deep down. 3 players IMO they couldn't lose in order to win the SB were Brady, Gronk, and Edleman. Gronk is now out and Edleman takes a lot of hits (has had concussions) so who knows what his status may even be towards the end of the season because Brady will probably go to him even more now. The other day I said I would take them and the Cowboys and give the field up if I was to bet, that has changed now. I can now see a team like the Steelers beating them in the Playoffs if they are healthy because of their ability to score a lot of points, Raiders too. Chiefs are in that discussion but not a believer in Alex Smith. I wonder how the Colts would do against them as well if we get in because Gronk is the 1 guy that always kills us. Andrew if healthy can put up a lot of points as well.

Honestly the only team imo that can beat the pats in the AFC  is the Steelers.

I think if they go to the superbowl against the cowboys,  belichick will confuse the rookie qb.    So for them not to win the superbowl,  the Steelers need to take them out,  or someone needs to take the boys out

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I think if they go to the superbowl against the cowboys,  belichick will confuse the rookie qb.    So for them not to win the superbowl,  the Steelers need to take them out,  or someone needs to take the boys out

Yeah no Rookie QB has ever won the SB but history is made to be broken at times. Not saying the Cowboys will win it but at 11-1 they are pretty solid.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah no Rookie QB has ever won the SB but history is made to be broken at times. Not saying the Cowboys will win it but at 11-1 they are pretty solid.

I think  the boys ate killing it.   Butt the hoodie eats rookie qbs for lunch

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Okay. Would you a some sort of present or cookie or something? If you're trying to lay a guilt trip on me, it won't work. 

Also, even in sarcasm, there is more than a grain of truth, animosity, or hidden resentment. Not directed at you specifically BC just Goodell.

I also don't like football on Thursday because it's too close to the weekend & Monday needs to be the cutoff date for football during the regular season. 

Oh boy!

Never mind, SW.

You have a good evening.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I think you missed a dosage.  

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree. Unless Denver gets their act together, then the Patriots will still score between 20 and 30 points in Foxboro in the playoffs and the only the team that can potentially keep up with them on the scoreboard is the Steelers. Oakland could if they keep on their current path but they have tough games coming up and seem like a team that will have a playoff letdown before they have success. But at least there is hope now because with Gronk healthy I would already be penciling NE in to the SB.  

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Hades, you can even call me a hypocrite if you want because if my Colts play, my Giants play, or NE plays on TNF I'm still DVring the game. But if 2 lousy teams play, I seldom watch it. LOL! 

I was being sarcastic. I do think the NFL has a hard walk balancing safety without eviscerating the violence of the sport. Pretty tought to protect the entire body when the science isnt advanced enough to ensure protection.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:33 PM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

A former Patriots doctor said this injury could be career ending.  It is a possibility.  I would feel real bad for Gronk if that happened.  I hate the Pats but I don't wish any injury on any player and career ending is even worse. I heard on Mike and Mike that Polian was told not to draft Gronk because of injury concerns. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. 

I liked your comment. Err, I mean I don't like your comment? Err, I mean, yay, Gronk is gone for good!? No, that's not what I meant. I wouldn't want to wish injury on anybody...

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I liked your comment. Err, I mean I don't like your comment? Err, I mean, yay, Gronk is gone for good!? No, that's not what I meant. I wouldn't want to wish injury on anybody...

It's just a matter of time where that team falls off a cliff, Gronk is done and may never play again? Who knows? Brady is approaching 40 years old and they still don't have IMO a Franchise QB to replace him. Jimmy G = lmao  I could see Belichick retiring within the next 2 to 3 years, same for Brady. Belichick isn't a spring chicken anymore. I am not counting them out this season because they still have Brady and Edleman and Belichick running the show but I highly doubt without Gronk they win the SB.

17 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Pats D is def weaker without Gronk, but with the D in the NFL this year the difference be scoring 30 instead of 35 with him. The Pats weakness is still the Defense or lack there of at times

You had to bracket Gronkowski......double cover him.

Now that isn't necessary........

.....that's big for Baltimore, Miami  and Denver..that's an extra blitzer

Those games are in question now

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You had to bracket Gronkowski......double cover him.

Now that isn't necessary........

.....that's big for Baltimore, Miami  and Denver..that's an extra blitzer

Those games are in question now

Miami made Jimmy G look like a HOF without Gronk. That's an easy W. The Ravens D is awful against the pass period and with Lewis back another W... and Denver was a question mark with or without Gronk. Again if they lose any game it will be because the D can't stop the other teams O From scoring 26+ points.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:07 PM, snkdy said:

Pats fans are thinking he's back for the AFCG or the SB, if they make it that far. 

He well may...  future is uncertain at this point.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:23 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

That's a life altering injury. No way, imo, that he plays again this year. Superbowl or not. That's like three back injuries so far. He's going to be living in constant pain if he doesn't handle this one well 

Reports are the back surgery was performed on a disc at different level then previous operations.  Much less chance of it being career threatening now in this light.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:59 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't know what kind of injury that really is so I can't say for sure.  But if I can make it back for the Super Bowl and play in a limited capacity if necessary, I'm playing and I'll consider retirement afterwards.

This may well come to pass, if the Pats get far into post season.  And while I expect there is no way on this green earth Gronk would be 100% healthy in 8 weeks, he could be disruptive enough and cause concern for opposing DC's in game planning.

Obviously, my ignorance of what this surgery entails is a factor, but in the back of my mind, I know Brady only has so much left and heaven knows where the Pats will be if he stays after.  The possibility of ever getting back to the SB, should Brady's age catch up to him next season, is undoubtedly uncertain.  that's what would be running through my head anyway.  

He had the 'Jelly" (Nucleus Pulposus) removed form the donut, (vertebral disc in between vertebrae), not the whole donut.  No fusion; which in the cervical area (neck) can be tolerated for the NFL.  In the Lumbar area (lower back) , it is career ending type malady.

img_0179.jpg

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Reports are the back surgery was performed on a disc at different level then previous operations.  Much less chance of it being career threatening now in this light.

This may well come to pass, if the Pats get far into post season.  And while I expect there is no way on this green earth Gronk would be 100% healthy in 8 weeks, he could be disruptive enough and cause concern for opposing DC's in game planning.

The Pats put him on IR and already have one player on IR designated to return, so Gronk's 2016 is done, even if they make it to the Super Bowl

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He had the 'Jelly" (Nucleus Pulposus) removed form the donut, (vertebral disc in between vertebrae), not the whole donut.  No fusion; which in the cervical area (neck) can be tolerated for the NFL.  In the Lumbar area (lower back) , it is career ending type malady.

img_0179.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Eye opening, as usual.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:35 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pats have the Division on lock down. Without Gronk, the SB is iffy.

Lol make a bet they make it to the AFC Championship Game still. (Not a tough bet since I thinknthey been in that game what 5 straight years w 2 SB and 1 SB win)  

4 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Lol make a bet they make it to the AFC Championship Game still. (Not a tough bet since I thinknthey been in that game what 5 straight years w 2 SB and 1 SB win)  

fine, theyll still lose that game no matter who they play.

Seattle and Pats I can write off as I did before the season started.

And I'm putting my pretend money on Dallas and Pats losing this weekend

2 hours ago, BertJones said:

fine, theyll still lose that game no matter who they play.

Seattle and Pats I can write off as I did before the season started.

And I'm putting my pretend money on Dallas and Pats losing this weekend

Hmm they def could lose that game, but if it's in the Razor SB here we come and I see a game that is decided on the very last drive on yet another goal line stand.. yes the rubber match with the Hawks!

On 12/1/2016 at 10:00 PM, Gramz said:

Yes, that is what I took out of the article I read.

It is a shame.  I know I've make jokes about him, and knocked him over the years,  but he is a force on the field for sure.     The Pats are definitely a more dangerous opponent with him in the lineup.   

I have to wonder if this will end his career, or if he'll be back next year.  I do believe he's done for the remainder of this year.

Thanks for the kind words Gramz.  :)   Yes, its sad that he is out for the season and I do feel sorry for him as I know how he likes to play football.  Too bad he has a back that has flared up on him a few times in his career.

He is a big guy and tough to bring down and because of this he gets hit a lot and in manners in which may cause injury unlike perhaps how others plays may be hit.  (i.e. someone going low at his knees). Those type of injuries are frustrating as a fan and one wishes they did not happen.  

As for the back issues that is more along the lines body make up and/or weight lifting history that is not tied to how he is tackled on the field and these injuries can be more acceptable imo.

As for the Pats loss regarding the present situation, I am bummed that we lost him for the season, but at the same time the Pats knew what we were getting, got him at a "value" price in the draft, and sometime one has to accept value you received when the thing that devalued the person crops up.

The Pats in the past have drafted players who have a injury his in the draft and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (like Ras-I Dowling, etc).