Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coop's Colts Mock V.1

Now that bowl season is (nearly) upon us, I wanted to take my first stab at a mock. I've never actually put one of these together before to I'd like to hear feedback.

I'm assuming we'll pick somewhere between 10-15 for this draft. My theme for this draft is to go after relentless, physical, yet interchangeable playmakers that can change the identity of our team for 2017.

1- Derek Barnett  (OLB - Clemson)

2- Harold Landry  (OLB - Boston College)

3- Cidobe Awuzie - (CB - Colorado)

4- Josh Harvey-Clemons (OLB/SS - Louisville)

4- Kendell Beckwith (ILB - LSU)

5- Kareem Hunt (RB - Toledo)

I would prefer to see us sign a OG and athletic ILB in Free Agency before this draft. Thoughts?

Derek Barnett- I like this pick he looks like a solid prospect. He has a good size 6'3 and 4.76 40 yd dash. He also has a variety of pass rushing moves too. Run game ability seems pretty solid too, just got to cut out some mental errors (bad reads on read option and false starts)

Harold Landry- He has great speed, but relies on that too much when he rushes. Does not have a lot of strength and if the O linemen gets his hands on him its over. Weak in the run game. rather get a RB, CB, or ILB.

Cidobe Awuzie- He looks like a tackling machine, fearless. 4.56 40 time is pretty good and like that he is 6 ft tall. Maybe someone who could be a replacement for safety for M Adams cause of his coverage skills and tackling ability

Kendell Beckwith- Good tackler but that's about it. He doesnt play low and doesnt seem to try to get off of blocks in the run game. Undersized a bit too, but it is the 4th round

Kareem Hunt- This guy seems like the next David Johnson. Good find, he has about the same measureables. He is hard to tackle and can make people miss and hits the hole hard

Good job the 2nd and 4th I dont really like but thats just my opinion. Let me know what you think of my evaluations.  Good job  

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Doesn't Mizzou run a 4-3 defense?  Wouldn't that be taking another Bjoern Werner type risk?  At least for a first round pick anyway.

Yeah but Shane Ray and Aldon Smith were DEs in the same system and transitioned into 3-4 OLBs fine.

Barnett will have the harder transition IMO.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah but Shane Ray and Aldon Smith were DEs in the same system and transitioned into 3-4 OLBs fine.

Barnett will have the harder transition IMO.

I don't disagree that transitions can't be made, but it's risky for a first round pick is all I'm saying.  We're kind of at a point where we need to be a bit safer with our first rounders.

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I want Tim Williams assuming there's no way to get Garrett. The kid is going to be an elite EDGE rusher in the NFL.

The problem with Tim Williams is that he's had some off the field incidents that MAY make him undraftable for the Colts....    at least,  in the first round.       Hard to see him falling out of the 1st.

I'm not predicting that it will stop us from drafting Williams,  only that it could.....

I'm a Tim Williams fan too.  I'm nervous about Barnett as a 3-4 OLB, but I'd love him as a 4-3 DE - I think that's his role.  Personally, I think that if we're right about Williams, the Colts won't have an opportunity to draft him.  I'm Planning on Foster or Cunningham to replace D'Qwell (my cap casualty)...

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I'm a Tim Williams fan too.  I'm nervous about Barnett as a 3-4 OLB, but I'd love him as a 4-3 DE - I think that's his role.  Personally, I think that if we're right about Williams, the Colts won't have an opportunity to draft him.  I'm Planning on Foster or Cunningham to replace D'Qwell (my cap casualty)...

I agree with Barnett. Seems built for a 4-3. I think Williams could fall to us do to the fact he isn't much of a run defender. I'm hoping for Harris but we might be picking to early for him.

23 minutes ago, KB said:

I agree with Barnett. Seems built for a 4-3. I think Williams could fall to us do to the fact he isn't much of a run defender. I'm hoping for Harris but we might be picking to early for him.

In the unlikely chance he drops within trade range, I'd be all for moving up to get him - perhaps giving up a future first and 3rd.  That probably wouldn't get us far enough because if I'm guessing, that would get us from say 12 to maybe 7 or 8 (and that's assuming we're even drafting that high).  So it's a pipe dream, really.  If we can help it, I'd like to keep our 2nd rounder this year because I think it would be a really good year to pick up a CB to play across Vontae this year and with the depth I'm seeing, we could get a rather good one in the 2nd.  This year's CB class is what the WR class was to 2015 (I think that was the stacked WR year).

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with Tim Williams is that he's had some off the field incidents that MAY make him undraftable for the Colts....    at least,  in the first round.       Hard to see him falling out of the 1st.

I'm not predicting that it will stop us from drafting Williams,  only that it could.....

I don't see Grigson and Pagano being here for this draft. I think both will be fired at the end of the year. The new GM may (but, may not) look at things differently when it comes to players with as much potential as a Tim Williams.

42 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

In the unlikely chance he drops within trade range, I'd be all for moving up to get him - perhaps giving up a future first and 3rd.  That probably wouldn't get us far enough because if I'm guessing, that would get us from say 12 to maybe 7 or 8 (and that's assuming we're even drafting that high).  So it's a pipe dream, really.  If we can help it, I'd like to keep our 2nd rounder this year because I think it would be a really good year to pick up a CB to play across Vontae this year and with the depth I'm seeing, we could get a rather good one in the 2nd.  This year's CB class is what the WR class was to 2015 (I think that was the stacked WR year).

Yeah its a deep draft for CB's. Also looks like its going to be deep with EDGE rushers. But the WR class was 14. The one in 15 looked to be a juggernaut, and it still may be but you've had guys like Kevin White, Nelson Agholor, Phillip Dorsett, and Breshad Perriman who haven't really done much thus far. Some due to injury. But in 14 you had Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Dontae Moncrief, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee, Devante Adams, John Brown, Martavis Bryant, etc. and a good number of those guys came in and balled out from day 1. You've had guys like Lee and Adams who took a little more time, but are breaking out this year.

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I want Tim Williams assuming there's no way to get Garrett. The kid is going to be an elite EDGE rusher in the NFL.

I don't like Williams at all. He's so one dimensional that Bama has to take him off the field unless it's an obvious passing play. He's got speed and... nothing else. His counterpart Ryan Anderson has far outplayed him IMO

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah its a deep draft for CB's. Also looks like its going to be deep with EDGE rushers. But the WR class was 14. The one in 15 looked to be a juggernaut, and it still may be but you've had guys like Kevin White, Nelson Agholor, Phillip Dorsett, and Breshad Perriman who haven't really done much thus far. Some due to injury. But in 14 you had Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Dontae Moncrief, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee, Devante Adams, John Brown, Martavis Bryant, etc. and a good number of those guys came in and balled out from day 1. You've had guys like Lee and Adams who took a little more time, but are breaking out this year.

Ah yes, that's right.  I knew it was one of those two.  The thing about Edge players this year is that to me, at least so far, it appears to be deep, but there's not a ton of top tier talent.  We'll see once the film starts pouring in on the prospects and the scouting reports become a little more robust.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

I don't like Williams at all. He's so one dimensional that Bama has to take him off the field unless it's an obvious passing play. He's got speed and... nothing else. His counterpart Ryan Anderson has far outplayed him IMO

I'd take a one dimensional pure EDGE rusher in the 1st all day long if I thought he was going to be a consistent 12-15 or more sacks a year player.

Not to mention a lot of guys like that can improve against the run, and become a more complete player after they get to the NFL and get a couple years under their belt.

I like Anderson too btw.

7 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't disagree that transitions can't be made, but it's risky for a first round pick is all I'm saying.  We're kind of at a point where we need to be a bit safer with our first rounders.

The thing is that there aren't a lot of college teams that run a 3-4. The 4-3 is the college standard. So most guys are going to be a projection. It's better when you have athletic guys who are easier to project. Guys who are all about power like Barnett are better in the 4-3. But a guy like Harris should transition fine.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd take a one dimensional pure EDGE rusher in the 1st all day long if I thought he was going to be a consistent 12-15 or more sacks a year player.

Not to mention a lot of guys like that can improve against the run, and become a more complete player after they get to the NFL and get a couple years under their belt.

I like Anderson too btw.

If Tim Williams can't get on the field in college he'll never be able to in the NFL. And he honestly hasn't impressed me in pass rush situations. I'd much rather have Charles Harris or even Foster or Cunningham over Williams. 

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't see Grigson and Pagano being here for this draft. I think both will be fired at the end of the year. The new GM may (but, may not) look at things differently when it comes to players with as much potential as a Tim Williams.

You may be entirely right about Grigson and Pagano both getting fired.

But personally,    I don't see that happening.    Irsay had to sign-off on drafting guys like Green and Clark,  two players taken with top picks who he had to know wouldn't offer that much help in their rookie year.      Hard to fire your GM and HC when you yourself contributed to the situation by acknowledging that we need some long-term talent......

Then again,  Irsay is the owner,  he can do anything he wants.....   We'll all know in about 5-6 weeks....

On November 30, 2016 at 0:41 PM, Footballlax31 said:

Harold Landry- He has great speed, but relies on that too much when he rushes. Does not have a lot of strength and if the O linemen gets his hands on him its over. Weak in the run game. rather get a RB, CB, or ILB.

Weak in the run game is definitely not true of Landry.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:41 AM, Footballlax31 said:

Have you watched Landry play? Know what team he plays for? Calling him weak vs the run is completely false you could not be anymore wrong. Last year he was the number 1 edge vs the run in college football. His play this year has been just as dominate according to PFF.  

I am not in the draft a RB early group. No way would I spend a 2nd on a RB especially if we can get a Johnson clone later and we can. I think he has it right at RB. 

I would not draft Awuzie and move him to S. Awuzie is a CB that is where I'd play him. 

On 11/30/2016 at 7:20 AM, BCoop said:

Now that bowl season is (nearly) upon us, I wanted to take my first stab at a mock. I've never actually put one of these together before to I'd like to hear feedback.

I'm assuming we'll pick somewhere between 10-15 for this draft. My theme for this draft is to go after relentless, physical, yet interchangeable playmakers that can change the identity of our team for 2017.

I would prefer to see us sign a OG and athletic ILB in Free Agency before this draft. Thoughts?

I agree we should get a RG in FA. It should have happened last year. If we could get an athletic ILB that'd be great but I'd still look in the draft for help. I have ILB up there with CB and Edge. 

I have similar names in my Mock. Awuzie Landry and Hunt.  I'm not high on Barnett. I think he's better in 4-3 and goes early. 

I think we have to stay away from slow ILB's who can't cover. We wasted a 4th last year on Morrison to me Beckwith is a larger version. I want a guy like Cunningham or Reeves-Maybin. 

I like it for the most part Beckwith is the one guy I wouldn't draft. I'm all for waiting on RB Mixon and Hunt are the guys I like day 3. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, BCoop said:

You made an error Barnett is from Tennessee.