Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Will Romo Be Next Year?

King Colt

Will he stay in Dallas to compete for the job? If not, my .02 is Denver will go after him because he is a John Elway type of guy, clean cut, no dirty laundry and could move them to the SB in the first year. The Jets may bid on him but I don't believe Romo would choose the Jets to end out his career. Much of the decision will be made for him if the Cowboys do well in the playoffs and or go to the SB.

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I say Denver with the Jets having an outside chance.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Denver after they don't Repeat.

You would think Denver would be a good choice, but I'm not sure it would be a good fit for Romo. He's been injury prone his entire career despite having some pretty damn good offensive lines. Now throw him on Denver with no line to speak of and....?

1 hour ago, Moose Of Woe said:

You would think Denver would be a good choice, but I'm not sure it would be a good fit for Romo. He's been injury prone his entire career despite having some pretty damn good offensive lines. Now throw him on Denver with no line to speak of and....?

True, but where else do you think he'd go?  He's not going to go to a bad team in my opinion.  He'll want to pick a good team at this point in his career. 

2 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Who knows, maybe expecting to get hit all the time will turn him into some sort of iron man lmao

8 hours ago, UKCOLT17 said:

Do u think people will trade for him no way he's 37 next year. He has only played 4 games in 2 years if doesn't play again so injury concerns then will have a cap hit of 24+ million next year. I don't see anyone trading for him.

Dallas will cut him....for their benefit and his.

i say Denver too.

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Romo is signed until 2019. I doubt he goes anywhere. If Prescott were to get hurt during the season or next season, it will save to have that experienced veteran ready to go as a backup. 

He wont be back in Dallas at his salary..and he wont be in Denver because he cant run that offense...and they cant afford him.

L.A. Rams, maybe

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He wont be back in Dallas at his salary..and he wont be in Denver because he cant run that offense...and they cant afford him.

L.A. Rams, maybe

I just don't see Jerry splitting with Romo this year yet. 

Minnesota would be my pick though. Check their history, they love washed up quarterbacks in the twilight of their careers. He will be their next Cunningham or Favre, praying he can take them on a SB run. 

i dont think denver is desperate enough to take the injury risk

he would have been interesting for the texans but they just paid BO

the jets could use him

hes only 4 months younger than carson palmer and has a worse injury history, i doubt they want to risk it

the bears and browns are not built to win now, no point in bringing him in

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Minnesota would be my pick though. Check their history, they love washed up quarterbacks in the twilight of their careers. He will be their next Cunningham or Favre, praying he can take them on a SB run. 

Nah. Although I like Romo and believe he is better than what most football fans think of him, he is too injury-prone. The Vikes don't need anymore of those QBs. 

Denver or San Francisco are better options for Romo.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Nah. Although I like Romo and believe he is better than what most football fans think of him, he is too injury-prone. The Vikes don't need anymore of those QBs. 

Denver or San Francisco are better options for Romo.

If he goes to Minnesota and they start winning games like when they did under Favre in 2009, it might be the closest chance Romo ever gets to reaching the NFCCG...Minny has the defense, I think he has a shot there. 

I think John Elway would be reluctant to sign Romo on the Broncos due to his chronic back problems. Yeah, I know #7 took a gamble on Peyton Manning after his neck surgeries.

However, the difference is that #18 had a reliable health history & was well known for having a long starting streak week to week for yrs. Romo cannot make that claim to fame. 

To answer the question, yes this is Tony's last yr in Dallas. I could see the Jets making a serious run at him since their OL is good & defense has a solid pass rush for additional possessions on Romo's behalf. 

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Dallas will cut him....for their benefit and his.

i say Denver too.

I don't think Romo gets cut.    Too much of a salary cap hit.

I think they work out an arrangement.   Romo tells Dallas where he'd like to try and play and re-does his deal downward which helps lower the salary cap hit to the Cowboys who get a modest conditional pick coming back.

Win-win for everyone.      Now the question becomes which team?

Poor Romo he just built that plush pad in Dallas & next yr. during the regular season won't be around to enjoy it from August thru December of 2017. 

Tony-Romo-house.jpg

Don't you just feel sorry for #9 living in such tight quarters? LOL! 

I always wanna know if golf carts pimped out with all the creature comforts come fully loaded in a mansion like this. Forget walking from 1 end to the other. What do you mean I left my laptop playbook by the pool man? I wouldn't wanna walk that darn far to retrieve it. Bull...you know what...

9 hours ago, -JJ- said:

NE as a backup :-)

Actually, that is the only way Mr. Oh no Romo would make it to a SB JJ. Touche. Yeah I know Denver repeat in 97 & 98, but I don't think their secondary will pull it off this yr. personally 

He's got a pretty wife, a child, & financial security now. That's more than than most of my friends & family will ever receive. So, all kidding aside, Tony's gonna be awe right when all is said & done. 

Romo obviously would want to go to a team that would be able compete in the playoffs. The only teams I can think of that fit that bill (that could use an upgrade at QB) are the Broncos and Jets. Maybe the Rams or Dolphins, but LA has got Goff and Miami has all of a sudden been winning with Tannehill. 

Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding team and try to make them sick, like a Chicago, Cleveland or San Fran (which at this point in his career I highly doubt), I'm gonna put my money on New York.

55 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Poor Romo he just built that plush pad in Dallas & next yr. during the regular season won't be around to enjoy it from August thru December of 2017. 

Tony-Romo-house.jpg

Don't you just feel sorry for #9 living in such tight quarters? LOL! 

I always wanna know if golf carts pimped out with all the creature comforts come fully loaded in a mansion like this. Forget walking from 1 end to the other. What do you mean I left my laptop playbook by the pool man? I wouldn't wanna walk that darn far to retrieve it. Bull...you know what...

If I had the little room on the end I would be happy for life, or is that another house haha 

19 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Romo obviously would want to go to a team that would be able compete in the playoffs. The only teams I can think of that fit that bill (that could use an upgrade at QB) are the Broncos and Jets. Maybe the Rams or Dolphins, but LA has got Goff and Miami has all of a sudden been winning with Tannehill. 

Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding team and try to make them sick, like a Chicago, Cleveland or San Fran (which at this point in his career I highly doubt), I'm gonna put my money on New York.

Yep, NY makes sense to me the longer I mull it over. He could definitely beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job & he'd have a premier center in Nick Mangold to slide the protection in just the right spot for Tony's success. 

I may hate Dallas as a franchise & I truly do, but I have no qualms with Romo personally. He's talented & a good dude & I would never ship him off to San Fran or Chicago. I'm not that cruel. haha John Fox will turn da Bears around, but not soon enough to benefit Tony nearing the twilight of his career. 

I wonder if it is possible Romo could be done as a starter because of his  injury worries. The talent is still there but money-injury is a monster concern. If anyone takes a chance on him and he goes down early in the season would definitely put a lid on him as a starter anywhere. A tough break for a very solid talent. 

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

L.A. Rams, maybe

Why can't Romo run Denver's offense?

14 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I just don't see Jerry splitting with Romo this year yet. 

I don't see Minn being interested.  They'll have Bridgewater coming back plus they have Bradford.  under contract next year.  He's been playing well and is significantly younger so I don't see any reason why they'd be interested in Romo.

5 hours ago, 19colt said:

For Elway it would depend on his asking price. Denver has a bad OL so Romo would take some hits. You don't want to pay a lot for an injury prone vet behind a bad OL. 

Plus...Kubiak wants a mobile guy.../

Can you see Romo throwing those roll out passes...Kubiak likes/?

The Texans probably would have been the best fit, but since that is not going to happen it's hard to say. The Jets seem like a good choice until you think about him wanting a chance to win a Superbowl, then I don't think the Jets are that attractive, very hard road to win the East so your basically playing for a wild card spot..that is ruff..You'd think the AFC North, West OR South are more winnable but the QB situation is not promising...Denver is the best chance there and I think that's unlikely. The NFC is not any better really, Vikings make sense but you've got young QB's on the team and your going against Rodgers so I think that's a no. Arizona is a maybe but is Romo an upgrade over palmer, I don't know-maybe. Really I don't see a winning scenario here for Romo outside of taking a pay cut and playing backup if he really wants to get a ring, otherwise he sound probably just retire.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:37 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think Romo gets cut.    Too much of a salary cap hit.

I think they work out an arrangement.   Romo tells Dallas where he'd like to try and play and re-does his deal downward which helps lower the salary cap hit to the Cowboys who get a modest conditional pick coming back.

Win-win for everyone.      Now the question becomes which team?

How do they" redo his deal to save cap hit ?" Is the guaranteed money that has not been paid that determines that amount. The only thing they can do is work it so some of the "hit " is taken in 2018 instead of all in 2017. Here's pretty much the ramifications to Dallas' cap hit if Romo moves on.

Starting in 2017, Romo has three years remaining on his contract. That includes the base salaries for all three years, as well as prorated signing bonus amounts which count towards the cap in each of those years.

The amounts are as follows:  

sorry the contract numbers did not copy. For those that want to see his contract , you can use overthecap.com

As base salaries are obviously not paid to retired or released players, the important parts here are the prorated amounts on each of the years remaining.

Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus. If he outright retires, that would accelerate onto the 2017 ledger, meaning the Cowboys would save $5.1 million of space on next year’s cap.

That would also clear up $25.2 million of 2018 space that is currently earmarked for Romo, and $23.7 million of similar 2019 space.

Financially speaking, that flexibility would be a boon for the Cowboys.

There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.

That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.