Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive personnel

Lef

Noticed in the Green Bay game, we were using 3 safeties (Green, Geathers and Butler) and 2 corners often. Geathers was down closer to a LB position on a lot of downs. Have we been running that much this season or is it something new?

13 minutes ago, Lef said:

Noticed in the Green Bay game, we were using 3 safeties (Green, Geathers and Butler) and 2 corners often. Geathers was down closer to a LB position on a lot of downs. Have we been running that much this season or is it something new?

We haven't been running it a ton, but yes we have some.  I like the look, because I believe Geathers is big enough to help in the run support, and assist in covering tight ends.  Green Bays TE, Richard Rogers, had a few catches, but I don't recall him doing to much damage.  I feel like this is one of the few games a tight end hasn't hurt us (see Travis Kelce)  The big question is, what to do with Butler when Adams is back.  I think I might be in support of starting him opposite Adams with Geathers as the third safety in the box like we did this week.  Allow Green to rotate in and out when needed at this point.  I think CB wise we are best with Davis and Melvin outside and Robinson in the slot.  Robinson has been playing inside the past couple games and has performed much better.  The DB group could finally be coming together.

25 minutes ago, Lef said:

I remember early on in the season Monachino mentioned that they were planning on implementing a combo of 3 safeties to try and get as many playmakers and speed on the field as possible. They tried it with mixed results with Adams/Green/Geathers, but with Adams out vs Green Bay, Butler seemed to bring some much needed speed to make it work, as he was all over the place. I'd guess that the coaching staff is going to look at the tape from last night's game, and Adams may be more of a rotational guy moving forward.

As much as I like Adams because hes opportunistic he lacked the speed this year to make to the sideline to help out a corner who was beat and was slow covering..butler did extremely well and with 1 hand lol hopefully we get another chance to see butler @ safety to see if two games there is better than Adams overall starts this season