Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bye week timing - good or bad?

Would've been good to take it after London 

Now looking at where we are, it's a great move we didn't 

Players need to get healthy & the division is wide open for us. Houston is on their heels, the $200mil gang is a dumpster fire & the boys in blue got molly whopped yesterday by San Diego 

The winning streak will continue after the bye. Loss to Minnesota then another win streak to SB51 

35 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Players need to get healthy & the division is wide open for us. Houston is on their heels, the $200mil gang is a dumpster fire & the boys in blue got molly whopped yesterday by San Diego 

The winning streak will continue after the bye. Loss to Minnesota then another win streak to SB51 

I don't know that we lose to the Vikings cause they are really starting to stink.

I think it's good because guys like Henry Anderson and Kendall Langford get extra time to heal themselves up.    As long as we stay focused and continue playing with the foot on the gas I'm expecting another win against Tennessee.  One game at a time.

It really is ideal timing as we take great confidence from a strong road win into a period where players can rest up and focus on the upcoming games.  3 of our next 4 games at LOS and all four could be considered winable the way that the Vikings are playing.

This could be a real turning point for our season going into the next games fresh, with players returning and renewed confidence........or we could blow it and end the season 4-12!  With the Colts, it could really go either way!

I'm just repeating what others say, but we need to heal up. Especially get Vontae 100%, Langford and Anderson playing again. Hilton and Moncrief may not be 100%, this will get them back to full health. Don't forget Mewhort as well. This is the perfect time to get a week off. Sucks not having Colts football for a week, but I'm a huge advocate of getting a bye week right in the middle of the season. Usually benefits the team more times than not.

1. I'm going with the consensus also, great time for a bye week due to health reasons mostly.  I don't think the bye will hurt momentum wise, it was a great win yesterday and gives the team something to build on along with getting healthy in prepping for TN in a couple of weeks.  Great timing.
1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Minnesota still going to the sb?

The next big win HAS TO BE against the Steelers, that is also the only tie-breaker we will have against the AFC North head-to-head. So, speculatively, if the Steelers win their division, they could be relegated to #4 and head to the Patriots at #1 with us heading to the Raiders or Broncos, I would definitely prefer that.

But first, without putting the cart before the horse :) - we need to win our division first. 9-7 at best for the AFC South division winner. Root for the Raiders to take down the Texans. I am glad we are playing the Vikings after they have been exposed recently, and not during their hot 5-0 run in the beginning. 

Texans have 5 out of their next 8 games on the road and I hope they lose at least 4 :) because they are 5-0 at home and 0-3 on the road.

I guess its a bit of both. The win against Green Bay will still keep us rolling post-bye, but the effects will be less prominent. If we weren't on bye, I believe we would have had more momentum going into the next game. On the other side, this rest is much needed. We need time to get healthy for the home stretch, and this is great timing in that regard. So I guess you could say I'm indifferent as to the timing of our bye week.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

It really is ideal timing as we take great confidence from a strong road win into a period where players can rest up and focus on the upcoming games.  3 of our next 4 games at LOS and all four could be considered winable the way that the Vikings are playing.

This could be a real turning point for our season going into the next games fresh, with players returning and renewed confidence........or we could blow it and end the season 4-12!  With the Colts, it could really go either way!

What in the current regime's track record suggests we will collapse? Three 11-5 years and last year we finished 8-8 without Luck. Yes I'm still on my heels if we can make a true run or not, but it's possible. So if we go off of track records it seems inevitable we will finish better this year than last because of Luck. 

If we could somehow win the next 4 it would be huge! A short week for a Thursday Pittsburgh game after Tennessee scares me, but the Ravens laid the blueprint yesterday.

2 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

What in the current regime's track record suggests we will collapse? Three 11-5 years and last year we finished 8-8 without Luck. Yes I'm still on my heels if we can make a true run or not, but it's possible. So if we go off of track records it seems inevitable we will finish better this year than last because of Luck. 

If we could somehow win the next 4 it would be huge! A short week for a Thursday Pittsburgh game after Tennessee scares me, but the Ravens laid the blueprint yesterday.

Ben was rusty as well which I don't like

6 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

Actually, I like it because the Steelers would have taken out their frustration level on the Browns at the Browns before heading here. So, I am hoping they have Browns hangover in terms of getting ahead of themselves. TNF games normally favor the home teams, better TNF than SNF, IMO.

It sure would make for a happy thanksgiving :)

We just got to keep our foot on the gas and not let up.  It's imperative because I think we are capable of winning a couple more of these games nobody says we can win like Minnesota and Oakland.  Pittsburgh we'll probably find a way to lose that one I think, but the rest I give us a good shot to win.  Got to beat Tennesse first though.

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Colts match up well vs tenn every year but even this year we played them good. They are probably the best team to face coming off the bye week. Might be able to get some momentum going before the steelers game. 

But who honestly wants to see the colts win...?

I never want to see Indy loose.  not for even the #1 pick.  Top picks don't mean jack without a since or winning, and a team who WANTS to win...(see browns)

The bye week is great time.  i would have maybe even wanted it week 11 AFTER the Titans game.  To be fresh for Pitt.  But i'll take it where it is, WE have a LOT of starters who need the rest and get healed up.  Mainly along both lines.

In terms of the Bye, rehab from injuries are always a good reason to celebrate.  This year I feel like there is another good reason to celebrate... decent Coaching/game scheming...

I have to wonder if the players were starting to doubt the coaching as much as we were on this forum.  I feel like the win last night was much better schemed, and with that they have a positive foundation to build on this Bye.  With a bunch of must win games ahead of us, faith in your leadership needs to be at an all time high. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I never want to see Indy loose.  not for even the #1 pick.  Top picks don't mean jack without a since or winning, and a team who WANTS to win...(see browns)

The bye week is great time.  i would have maybe even wanted it week 11 AFTER the Titans game.  To be fresh for Pitt.  But i'll take it where it is, WE have a LOT of starters who need the rest and get healed up.  Mainly along both lines.

I want to see competitive football and until GB the colts were showing none. If they become consistent I'll consider thinking pagano is learning. But until then I want the man to lose. It's not as much for a draft position as it is a coaching and possibly GM change. 

I want to see our players play with passion like they did last night, but so far for the last 2-3 years, I have only seen these players digress, and their passion dwindle.  

Glad to see this:

titans-35.png  Titans | Derrick Henry may miss multiple weeks    Mon Nov 7, 05:00 PM

Tennessee Titans RB Derrick Henry (calf) could miss up to two weeks with a strained calf, according to head coach Mike Mularkey.

Footballguys view: That makes Antonio Andrews the back behind starter DeMarco Murray. It looks like he will most certainly miss the Week 10 game against the Packers.

Link to story
Derrick Henry player page

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I want to see competitive football and until GB the colts were showing none. If they become consistent I'll consider thinking pagano is learning. But until then I want the man to lose. It's not as much for a draft position as it is a coaching and possibly GM change. 

I want to see our players play with passion like they did last night, but so far for the last 2-3 years, I have only seen these players digress, and their passion dwindle.  

There are 31 other teams in this league you could root for.  Maybe the Browns or Jags since you like to lose.

I always like late bye weeks because it gives INDY a chance to hit the reset button & treat every game like a must have playoff win from this point forward. 

I still want this HC & GM dismissed, but I will still root for my Colts to go on a run regardless. It's wishful thinking sure, but Christmas is right around the corner & I'll take a miracle wherever I can get one. 

Plus, like everybody said Vontae Davis & others are pretty banged up & need to recuperate. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's great because players can get healthy for the stretch run (Andrew probably needs it as much as he gets hit) and we won going into the BYE which is the key. On 2 weeks rest we will be fresh for Tennessee which is a huge Division game.

Agreed.

13 hours ago, kcccolts said:

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I am thinking the bye week is not ideal after the result /performance last night. What do the better informed think?

The team wanted the bye week later in the season.    It was either that,  or the week after the J'Ville game in London.      The team preferred now, in the middle of the season.

The fact that we're coming off a win is what it is.    The team welcomes a chance to heal-up and get rested and prepare for the stretch run.

A bye week in week 9 (middle of the schedule)  is always a good thing.     

5 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Apparently,  you haven't been watching the Indianapolis Colts.

Sorry to hear that..........

Hope you start watching them soon!

Colts haven't been able to win consecutive games so far this year, so I'm not particularly upset that the bye comes after a win. The momentum hasn't been helping so far. The bye week is always welcome, IMO, and having it later in the year is best. If Mewhort and Anderson can come back after the bye, it will be a huge boost.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Colts haven't been able to win consecutive games so far this year, so I'm not particularly upset that the bye comes after a win. The momentum hasn't been helping so far. The bye week is always welcome, IMO, and having it later in the year is best. If Mewhort and Anderson can come back after the bye, it will be a huge boost.

I thought our D line played fairly well against GB all things considered. Aside from the Zach Kerr RTP flag! 

With Langford and Anderson fit I'm quite excited by the unit as a whole. In fact the odd man out now in my mind is Art Jones. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I never can tell how we will play but I have feeling we are going to smash the Titans coming off a BYE being healthy. We are honoring the SB Title team that day, no way we lose that game. That will put us 5-5 and in prime position to make a run at the Division Title. Texans still have at Packers, Chargers, Raiders, and at Titans on their schedule too.

19 hours ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

I am looking more recently in terms of the performances this year, losing games we really should have won.

My 4-12 comment was tongue in cheek but there have been so many games this season where we have shot ourselves in the foot either with penalties or poor play from a specific area (OL, secondary coverage, etc) so the rest of the season really could go either way.  Having Andrew under centre almost guarantees at least another couple of wins and, if we play like we did at GB, who knows...