Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"sources" Manning Is Not Progressing/more Than Likely Retire (Merge)

SilentHill

Smh I dont know about these "sources" but the only person I will listen to is peyton and only him he knows how he really feel and according to nfl.com he says he's really feeling good he's throwing better also and his recovery is on point right now so anybody I wont listen to especially the media

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say, for example, a player wants a seven-year, $60-million contract. Let's say that the owner decides to give that player an $11-million signing bonus, which is all paid out in the first year but gets factored into the cap as prorated over the course of the seven-year contract ($11-million / 7 years = $1.57-million per year).

Manning's base salary + the distribution of his bonus is what makes the 17 million. However, changing some of the base salary figures into incentives might be something different entirely however. That part I am not sure about.

You are mistaken.

Yes, the signing bonus is pro-rated, but if the player plays out his contract, the full monies still hit the cap. Example: $60 contract structured as $11 signing bonus and $7 salary per year for 7 years.

The cap for years 1 through 7 will be 1.57+7 = 8.57. If you take 8.57 x 7 years , you still get to 60.

There is no way to make free money here.

Smh I dont know about these "sources" but the only person I will listen to is peyton and only him he knows how he really feel and according to nfl.com he says he's really feeling good he's throwing better also and his recovery is on point right now so anybody I wont listen to especially the media

You didn't quote him correctly.

He said he was trying to get better.

You are mistaken.

Yes, the signing bonus is pro-rated, but if the player plays out his contract, the full monies still hit the cap. Example: $60 contract structured as $11 signing bonus and $7 salary per year for 7 years.

The cap for years 1 through 7 will be 1.57+7 = 8.57. If you take 8.57 x 7 years , you still get to 60.

There is no way to make free money here.

Thats not my point. My point is that you could re-work the contract to turn some of the bonus money into incentive money.

You didn't quote him correctly.

He said he was trying to get better.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said he has no plans to retire and that his recovery from neck surgery is on schedule.

Manning told a group of reporters that he threw on Tuesday morning and the session went well.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

"I really feel good," Manning said in an interview televised by ESPN. "I continue to make progress every day. Everything the doctors have told me has been on point.”

As for talk about his retirement, Manning said it's premature.

He said he likely will meet with Colts owner Jim Irsay soon to discuss his future with the team. But Manning said it was too soon to tell how his predicament would be resolved.

“That’s hard for me to answer," Manning said.

It's been a tumultuous month for the Colts, and Manning continued to cast a shadow over this week's Super Bowl, the first in Indianapolis.

Most of the Patriots and Giants said they're not paying attention to speculation that Manning's career could be over, but it's hard to miss.

Where is Peyton's place?

p_manning_120130_65x90.jpgIf Peyton Manning splits from the Colts, he'll have suitors. But one group of fans isn't waiting. They're telling Manning they want him now. More...

Giants quarterback Eli Manning said Tuesday he hoped to see his brother make a comeback as a member of the Colts.

Cooper Manning, Peyton's other brother, told NFL Network's Albert Breer that Manning was determined to return to play next season. But a recent report by Yahoo! Sports said that the nerves in Manning's arm are not healing in a way that would indicate he can come back to action.

After last week's public spat between the Colts quarterback and team owner Jim Irsay, the two issued a joint statement in hopes of tamping down publicity leading up to the Super Bowl.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported last Saturday that the Colts decided weeks ago to move on without Manning.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

No bruh I didnt that's what he said

I still think he needs to get hit a few times as well. Can he take the beating?

Cause with our o line......a beating might happen. This scares me more then some I suppose. I just feel like he is a hit away from disaster.

He might be able to throw eventually and throw fine. Can he take the pounding though.

I still think he needs to get hit a few times as well. Can he take the beating?

Cause with our o line......a beating might happen. This scares me more then some I suppose. I just feel like he is a hit away from disaster.

He might be able to throw eventually and throw fine. Can he take the pounding though.

His neck would be in actual better shape than prior to the surgery. He can probably take the same amount of hits hes taken over his career, if not more at this point.

His neck would be in actual better shape than prior to the surgery. He can probably take the same amount of hits hes taken over his career, if not more at this point.

I have to see it to believe it. All of it. Call me a skeptic, but I am too used to aging Colts players coming back worse then before.

I have to see it to believe it. All of it. Call me a skeptic, but I am too used to aging Colts players coming back worse then before.

I have to see it too. How many times were we told Sanders would be coming back fully fit..?

Thats not my point. My point is that you could re-work the contract to turn some of the bonus money into incentive money.

For-sure bonus money turning into LTBE (likely to be earned) incentive money makes no difference to the cap. They are accounted for the same way.

If the bonus money turns into non-LTBE incentives, you will have another issue with the NFLPA.

I have to see it too. How many times were we told Sanders would be coming back fully fit..?

Yep. And let us not forget the return of Marvin Harrison to the playoffs in 2007. Worked swell. And he sure looked like his old self the following season. In fact this bugs me, it's sad to see greats decline.

The problem remains: it could take 6-12 more months for his nerve to regenerate.

Or it may not regenerate for years.

Or it may renegerate on April 1st.

That doesn't change the fact that it probably won't heal by the date his bonus is due, and that will force Irsay to make a decision. Putting what, $40mil+ of the salary cap onto a rebuilding team isn't going to happen.

I believe that if Brandon Stokley would have been re-signed by the Colts in 2007 they would have not just one more but TWO more Superbowl Championships.

If you strongly dissagree you're naive and probably wont be able name the play pictured on my profile. Saturday is holding up his index finger.

Well.....Doctor debates aside.....I don't think the Colts can afford to wait a year to a year and a half on the CHANCE that Manning might be able to play again and handicap the team for that whole time. If they pick up the bonus the cap hits are big not only next year but years after. Unless he's throwing well by March 8 I look for him to be released.

As much as it pains me (just look at my forum username), the Colts have to cut him if he is not 100% come bonus time. It's just not in the best interest of the team to take that kind of cap hit. I'm Off to cry myself to sleep now.

This is what people don't understand about this kind of surgery. Hes not really going to gradually get better. Its as simple as one day he wakes up and his nerves are back. IF and WHEN that happens are the two big factors here. He could wake up tomorrow and his nerves are back. Or it could be September. We just don't know and quite frankly, I don't even think Peyton knows either. Its really pointless for ANYONE to speculate.

In his most recent interview he was headbanging like Beavis on MTV. He was able to move his neck in every direction and there were no indications that he had a bad neck.

As much as it pains me (just look at my forum username), the Colts have to cut him if he is not 100% come bonus time. It's just not in the best interest of the team to take that kind of cap hit. I'm Off to cry myself to sleep now.

Peyton is just one part of a cap the can be reduced substantially given the number of free agents the Colts wouldn't miss nearly as much as they obviously have Peyton.

Peyton is just one part of a cap the can be reduced substantially given the number of free agents the Colts wouldn't miss nearly as much as they obviously have Peyton.

From my projections:

With Peyton and Luck and #3 QB scenario

2012 cap hit for QBs = $22.9MM or 18.9% of the total cap space

2013 cap hit for QBs= $23.7MM or 19.3% of the total cap space

2014 cap hit for QBs= $25.7MM or 19.1% of the total cap space

2015 cap hit for QBs = $27.8MM or 20.2% of the total cap space

Assumptions:

1) Luck's contract is 5% above Cam Newton's contract

2) Total cap space increases at 1% per year until 2014, when it is increased by 10% (TV revenues) then increases at 2% per year thereafter.

3) Peyton plays through his contract

IMO, a 19%-20% allocation of the cap to the QB position is prohibitive in terms of flexibility to spend elsewhere. Peyton's cap hit is responsible for 14%-14.5% of that 19-20% allocation. IOW, Luck and a #3 QB will represent an allocation of 5-6% allocation of the total cap.

There is nothing you can do to reduce Peyton's part of the cap unless you renegotiate his contract.