Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Never Thought That I'd Say This But...

Evansville Blue

2 hours ago, Evansville Blue said:

I've seen past posts where people have said we need to get rid of Andrew Luck and I thought that it was a stupid idea, but after today's game I have reconsidered. Not because I think that Luck isn't a good quarterback, but for these reasons. Because the Colts are paying so much for him, we don't have the money for enough QUALITY players on defense or offense. Look at the teams we have lost to. Most of them have quarterbacks with nowhere near the caliber of Luck, but their offensive lines and their defense seem to outplay us handily.

Maybe it's time to consider the quality of the players we have on both sides of the ball, rather than having a having the highest paid quarterback in the league, as Mr. Irsay likes to say. Even Brady can,t win games by himself. Just sayin'...What are you guys thoughts about this?

In the end, its the front office that needs help. Even if you get that average quarterback like you said, the front office will overpay him. The philosophy needs to change up there. Either way, you can restructure Lucks contract. That is no problem.

I am so sure Luck didnt walk up to Irsay and say, "Give me all the money you have or im leaving." Its the greedy agent that accepts it in the end. Luck could probably least care if he was getting paid $500,000 a year.

5 hours ago, Evansville Blue said:

I've seen past posts where people have said we need to get rid of Andrew Luck and I thought that it was a stupid idea, but after today's game I have reconsidered. Not because I think that Luck isn't a good quarterback, but for these reasons. Because the Colts are paying so much for him, we don't have the money for enough QUALITY players on defense or offense. Look at the teams we have lost to. Most of them have quarterbacks with nowhere near the caliber of Luck, but their offensive lines and their defense seem to outplay us handily.

Maybe it's time to consider the quality of the players we have on both sides of the ball, rather than having a having the highest paid quarterback in the league, as Mr. Irsay likes to say. Even Brady can,t win games by himself. Just sayin'...What are you guys thoughts about this?

Teams that have top quarterbacks don't regret what they're paying them --- whatever the amount is.

And teams that don't have top quarterbacks would pay almost anything to get one.    

That's today's NFL.      Quarterbacks are King!

Do you see teams with top QB's trying to trade them away?      No.

Can we please stop this nonsense?!  

Wow.  I understand a hypothetical question but this post in no way can be taken seriously. If you want to dump salaries to free up space to get better players, you dump the garbage players we have that aren't earning that money. You most certainly don't dump Luck.  But I'd like to begin by dumping Pagano first and anybody associated with him on the staff. And then dump Grigson too. I give up on these losers. They're turning our beloved franchise into losers just like them. I've never seen such miserable gameplans and adjustments in all my time watching Colts football. Just pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

It's depressing to see Derek Carr move past Andrew.  If nothing else,  someone should lose their job over that.  The prime of Andrew Luck us precious and you shouldn't entrust it to dullards.  

Please just stop with the luck hate the guy is playing near the top of the league in everything with half as much talent as the others the sooner you realize that the better off you will be 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams that have top quarterbacks don't regret what they're paying them --- whatever the amount is.

And teams that don't have top quarterbacks would pay almost anything to get one.    

That's today's NFL.      Quarterbacks are King!

Do you see teams with top QB's trying to trade them away?      No.

Can we please stop this nonsense?!  

88b001e250820d5bb1acd8341af25aae.png

6 hours ago, Evansville Blue said:

Colts' are paying him cca 14% of the salary cap. Broncos paid cca. 18% of the salary cap for Peyton still managed building a team. Besides our FO had for years to build a team... Our struggles have nothing to do with Andrew's contract.

Debunked? I've not seen nor heard where it's been debunked. Look at the talent or lack thereof we have on this team. Old guys, guys who have injury histories and young unproven guys. Sure there have been a few bad picks by Grigs, but just watch Luck being killed and our defense being torched and missing tackles left and right. Quality players don't perform like this and you have to pay to get quality players.

The problem is drafting, not Luck or his contract, or even free agency. Just drafting.

You are right. The Colts need to get rid of Luck. Jimmy Irsay and his dad Brilliant Bob Irsay did the right thing when they let another overrated Stanford qb, John Elway, dictate a trade out of Baltimore and Jimmy should do the same thing now. History has shown that dumping Elway was a stroke of genius -- I'd take Mark Hermann over Elway any day -- and dumping Luck would also be wonderful for the franchise. If only we had guys like you running the Colts, everything would be hunky dorry.

OP,

I'm all for the not worshipping Luck thing.  But riddle me this, Brock is making $18M per, Watt has a $100M contract and Houston is still loaded with talent elsewhere.  Luck's contract isn't the reason this team is this bad.  The problem is Grigson has missed on so many picks.  You can't have 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from your prior three to four drafts that are not even worthy of a roster spot.  You can't have Werner, Holmes, Thorton, Richardson trade, D'Joun Smith.  That's 5 high draft picks in just three drafts where you have literally nothing to show for it.  Now imagine if those guys were Hopkins, Fuller, Braxton Miller, Alfred Blue, Mercilus.  Imagine having those five instead of the five we have nothing to show for?

So no it's not Luck's contract that's holding us back.  It's our GM getting goose eggs out of high draft picks.

People if you cannot add anything of substance to the thread, please don't bother posting. Most of you have a reading comprehension problem. You say things like, "Stupid thread", which I myself said I thought it was a stupid idea previously. Of you say Luck is the only thing holding this team together, when I never said anything about the team not sticking together.

All I wanted to do was to get some "constructive dialogue" started. Here is the bottom line.

1. The Colts have and have had defensive problems for many years.

2. We have consistently had the highest or near highest paid quarterback during these years and we have one Superbowl to show for it.

3.These highest paid quarterbacks have required receivers and tight-ends who also have had hefty contracts.

4. And yeah Grigs has screwed up picks, but some of that is due to lack of funds to get who we really need

5.Luck is a good quarterback, but he cannot do it alone. Our record proves this.

6. Some of Luck's mistakes are from hearing defensive linemen footsteps before they are there because of all the hits he's taking.

7. Someone in this thread said Luck is going nowhere. If we don't fix that O-line, he'll be going on IR or worse.

8. Our defense looks like boys playing among men at times. People, defense wins games. Just ask Denver.

9.The Colts are will continue to flounder until our philosophy changes

I thank you all for your participation...