Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think we could get from the Eagles for Dorsett?

Dustin

Dorsett is like the emergency generator. Do you need it week in and week out? No. But would be good to have in case of emergency.  I personally thought that we would utilize him in the kickoff and punt return dept. why have two legitimate speedsters in TY and Dorsett and not use them often?  I know many will say, no don't put TY in punt return or kickoff duties,  he's gonna get hurt. well what's your argument regarding Dorsett?  especially since he plays roughly 20 snaps/game anyway, why not put him out there and use his speed. ? FYI,  WE Steve Smith played punt return while at Carolina and he was undoubtedly there #1 (@5'8"). 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

Are you seriously comparing the people that wanted to get rid of Hilton to the people that want Dorsett gone? Did I just read that right?   Hilton produced from day 1. He didn't need time to develop, at least not like this.   Dorsett is no TY Hilton.  Like AZColt and others have said, the only thing we can hope for is that he is struggling early like Reggie Wayne did, and turns into something special, but that's a long shot.  But comparing people wanting Dorsett gone to people who wanted TY gone is asinine.   

Actually,  some folks wanted to keep Dorsett and trade or let TY go because TY is smaller than Dorsett and some stated he wasn't worth all the money he was looking for (around the time of the Draft). Remember those arguments?  lol

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Why would we want to further weaken a position that already is lacking depth?

And passing offense is the only thing that has kept us competitive. 

Dorsetting doesn't really have anything to do with the success of the passing offense . 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is kind of the way rookie receivers play. He came onto this team as a 3rd receiver behind TY and Dante. He lost the time to learn with a freak injury.

Too many want unrealistic results and are now searching for negative things to drag out being the team is not playing well.

Yeah but then he became our 2nd receiver and didnt do much. Maybe he'll put it together eventually, just like Reggie did but why would we play someone who is currently playing worse than all our other receivers? 

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The difference between Reggie Dorsett is Polian picked Reggie and numb nuts picked Dorsett. Polian drafted pro bowlers throughout his career Grigson drafts busts.

The vast majority of Polians drafts weren't that great.   

17 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Yeah but then he became our 2nd receiver and didnt do much. Maybe he'll put it together eventually, just like Reggie did but why would we play someone who is currently playing worse than all our other receivers? 

I don't understand your point? He has been injured so playing him hasn't been an option.

4 minutes ago, FACE REALITY said:

he has trouble getting open, straight line speed but has trouble with zig and zaging, also seems to be fragile, hope he can improve, he does not play like a first rounder at this point, don't see us getting much for him, also does grigs want to admit another mistake?

So is this thread another bash Grigson thread? I thought we had a thread that was specific for that purpose?

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Hes missed one game. I Was More Reffering to the other six. All our other receivers outplayed him in those games (aside from the game where he caught a 67 yarder, I believe)

How many times was he targeted?  Getting Luck time has been a little better but he still don't have time to go through any progressions.  Luck really wasn't looking for him too much in all fairness.

I don't mean this as an excuse but any receiver will not have numbers if not throw to. Luck has been concentrating on TY and  Doyle quite a bit.

I don't think talent is the problem with Dorsett but he needs to stay healthy long enough to learn how to play receiver in the NFL. With his little time on the field he is still basically a rookie.

I was higher on Dorsett than anyone on the forum during the 2015 draft. I said he'd be better than Amari Cooper, I was bragging that a trio of Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett would be devastating to opposing teams. So far, Dorsett has done very little to justify his draft position. He was originally a third round pick, and if we took him, that's where I wanted to take him. I still don't know why Grigs took him where he did. I don't know why he inflated from an early 3rd rounder to a late 1st rounder. He has great speed, decent hands, and a high YPC average. The problem is either he isn't getting open (which I've seen him being covered easy a fair number of times), or Luck isn't looking his way enough (this is possible, but Dorsett should have gotten more targets and receptions with Moncrief out). I thought he was an elite WR on the right team with the right QB, like the Colts. Maybe that's why he was taken so early by Grigs, I don't know. Dorsett is getting outperformed in limited time by Chester Rogers though, an undrafted FA. Luck is targeting him more as well. 

Hate to say it, but I think this is more on Dorsett than Luck not seeing him open. More than likely, Rogers will outperform him as time goes on, and Dorsett will be a situational receiver at best. I think this is another 1st round bust by Grigs. A high risk/high reward pick that didn't pay off. Ironically, a lot of useful defensive players that could of helped us were drafted soon after as well. Sad really.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was higher on Dorsett than anyone on the forum during the 2015 draft. I said he'd be better than Amari Cooper, I was bragging that a trio of Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett would be devastating to opposing teams. So far, Dorsett has done very little to justify his draft position. He was originally a third round pick, and if we took him, that's where I wanted to take him. I still don't know why Grigs took him where he did. I don't know why he inflated from an early 3rd rounder to a late 1st rounder. He has great speed, decent hands, and a high YPC average. The problem is either he isn't getting open (which I've seen him being covered easy a fair number of times), or Luck isn't looking his way enough (this is possible, but Dorsett should have gotten more targets and receptions with Moncrief out). I thought he was an elite WR on the right team with the right QB, like the Colts. Maybe that's why he was taken so early by Grigs, I don't know. Dorsett is getting outperformed in limited time by Chester Rogers though, an undrafted FA. Luck is targeting him more as well. 

Hate to say it, but I think this is more on Dorsett than Luck not seeing him open. More than likely, Rogers will outperform him as time goes on, and Dorsett will be a situational receiver at best. I think this is another 1st round bust by Grigs. A high risk/high reward pick that didn't pay off. Ironically, a lot of useful defensive players that could of helped us were drafted soon after as well. Sad really.

C mon JC, It is too early to say that Dorsett is a bust and you know it. How many games has he even been of the field? 

37 minutes ago, FACE REALITY said:

he has trouble getting open, straight line speed but has trouble with zig and zaging, also seems to be fragile, hope he can improve, he does not play like a first rounder at this point, don't see us getting much for him, also does grigs want to admit another mistake?

Limited experience in route running was on his resume coming out of college.  He was drafted because of speed and hands and the indications that his route tree could be developed.  There are many players taken in the first round whose developmental ceiling was high, whereas others who were the more complete player in college drop in the draft because it is felt they have a limited ceiling.

I have know idea if Dorsett will succeed or not, but the criteria by which he is being judged thus far is simply nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Patience, my friend.

Whatever Dorsett is or isn't....   his final ceiling has not yet been discovered.    He's a long way from being a finished product.

Give this a little more time....

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Based upon production and resume coming out of Miami a 3rd round was comparable.  But he was slotted higher in many mocks due to his potential and ceiling.

Rogers appears to have better natural lateral movement, probably the best of all Colts WR which helps in getting open if he lacks experience in running routes.  Hopefully he gets more polish to his game or else he will have to rely on improvisation too much to be consistent contributor.

No choice but to give it more time. The thing that worries me is the lack of targets. I have no doubt that he can get open. He's not able to run routes very crisp either. If he can't burn you on speed, he can't get open. The route running needs to be taught to him, and very quickly. This will come with experience as he can't learn it through a book. If Luck targets him more, he will do well IMO. The thing I can't put my finger on is why Luck isn't targeting him. Is it due to him being covered, is it because he prefers Hilton and the TE's? Why is Dorsett left out of the offense so much? This one really hurts my soul, as I love this kid. My favorite player in the whole 2015 draft.

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The difference between Reggie Dorsett is Polian picked Reggie and numb nuts picked Dorsett. Polian drafted pro bowlers throughout his career Grigson drafts busts.

The pro bowl is not a good way to measure playing ability. Opening it up to fan voting, and the alternates enables people to get in over more deserving candidates. 

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I still think that if they're utilized properly, Hilton, Dorsett, and Moncrief could be the league's best trio of receivers and could be absolute nightmares for defenses.  The two issues that have prevented that from happening are injuries and inept coaches. 

21 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I still think that if they're utilized properly, Hilton, Dorsett, and Moncrief could be the league's best trio of receivers and could be absolute nightmares for defenses.  The two issues that have prevented that from happening are injuries and inept coaches. 

So that is even better than a top 3... oh boy! lmao

42 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The pro bowl is not a good way to measure playing ability. Opening it up to fan voting, and the alternates enables people to get in over more deserving candidates. 

Fine then don't call them pro bowlers call them defensive player of the year like Sanders or players that were near the top in sacks year after year like Freeny and Mathis or more then likely future hall of famers like Wayne. 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Dorsetting doesn't really have anything to do with the success of the passing offense . 

A lot of that maybe more on coaching staff than him on not utilizing what he can do at this time instead of what he can't. With all that speed I'm sure he knows enough to run a reverse, catch screens, and run shallow crossing routes vs man coverage. 

That's the problem with bad teams & coaching. Instead of putting players in position to succeed, they place them is positions to fail.

If he was traded for say a 3rd rd. pick, most likely Griggs would whiff on that pick and/or he would also be put into positions to fail rather than succeed.

9 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Dorsett was injured in high school and in college at Miami. And now it has carried over to the NFL. I think its safe to say he is very injured prone.

I agree he has shown talent. But I dont feel confident that he can play a full season healthy. 

Dwayne Allen can't stay on the field to save his life, Moncrief's been out for 6 weeks, but Dorsett's the injury prone guy after missing a single start this year. Got it.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I guess this is what they mean when they talk about "experience" (ok getting old).

A long time ago, the Colts draft a WR in the first round and at the time many people thought the Colts should have drafted someone else because they had bigger "needs" then a WR.  (And even those that thought the Colts should pick a WR were not happy that they choose this particular receiver).

Then he had a very quiet rookie season while some receivers drafter after him were lighting things up.  Even when he became a starter because of injuries he was still having a quiet rookie season.  The the start of his second season, he again was not a starter and didn't do much when he got on the field and many fans were blasting Polian for wasting a draft pick on a luxury pick... a guy who was not needed, fans talked about trading him to a team that needed WR help hoping the Colts could swing a deal to get as high as a 3rd rounder but most feeling is value was not worth it (I actually think someone said something about trading him for a BigMac (not a McChicken but that "joke" is as old and tired as a Sumner Redstone).

Basically after his first 17 games he had 34 catches for 450 yards and 1 TD.  Fans knew he was a bust and just wanted to get rid of him as fast as possible.

But Reggie Wayne eventually proved the fans wrong and ended up being a pretty good WR for the Colts.

After his first 17 games Dorsett has 31 catches for 478 yards and 2 TDs.

I thought you were describing Roger Carr.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

How many times was he targeted?  Getting Luck time has been a little better but he still don't have time to go through any progressions.  Luck really wasn't looking for him too much in all fairness.

I don't mean this as an excuse but any receiver will not have numbers if not throw to. Luck has been concentrating on TY and  Doyle quite a bit.

I don't think talent is the problem with Dorsett but he needs to stay healthy long enough to learn how to play receiver in the NFL. With his little time on the field he is still basically a rookie.

Hey I agree. I tthink forsett should utilize his speed to be basically the first one open for a quick read. that way luck gets it out quick, doesn't get hit and dorsett gets catches. everyone wins. 

I don't know why the coaches only send him on deep routes. I just think maybe he should be behind our other receivers and develop a little more. last game Luck was throwing quick so maybe there's been a philosophy change that will benefit Dorsett when he comes back. 

12 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

For anyone comparing Dorsett to Antonio Brown - AB was a pro bowler his 2nd year.  The only similarity between them is that they are both very fast, and speed alone does not make a great receiver.  Grigs fell for the whole "speed is everything" nonsense that so many scouts fall for.  There are plenty of speedsters, WR and otherwise, that are out of jobs right now.

Donnie Avery is really fast too, lol

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Pitts trio when healthy is better.

13 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

I know we aren't getting a third rounder.  I was mentioning what someone said above.  Some of you are way too patient for a first round pick.  I won't make this into a Grigson complaint thread since we already have one of those, but man, we could've used that pick elsewhere.  

Dorsett has played less than a full season with the injuries he has had and it's not like he doesn't make any plays. I understand what you are saying though. No one expected we would draft a receiver. I 100% wanted Landon Collins and I saw some who wanted Eric Kendricks but that is hindsight now. Dorsett needs to be a little more confident but he has TY like upside.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No choice but to give it more time. The thing that worries me is the lack of targets. I have no doubt that he can get open. He's not able to run routes very crisp either. If he can't burn you on speed, he can't get open. The route running needs to be taught to him, and very quickly. This will come with experience as he can't learn it through a book. If Luck targets him more, he will do well IMO. The thing I can't put my finger on is why Luck isn't targeting him. Is it due to him being covered, is it because he prefers Hilton and the TE's? Why is Dorsett left out of the offense so much? This one really hurts my soul, as I love this kid. My favorite player in the whole 2015 draft.

Part of that is Luck.  i distinctly remember this forum accurately seeing Luck focusing on Reggie Wayne way too much in the past.  I don't know what the issue is, but don't discount the possibility that Luck has not evolved as much iin that area has hoped.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dwayne Allen can't stay on the field to save his life, Moncrief's been out for 6 weeks, but Dorsett's the injury prone guy after missing a single start this year. Got it.

This team has had injuries throughout the roster. I never compared Dorsett with Allen, Moncrief or anyone else. Allen is made of glass and is the most overrated player on the Colts roster.  I want Dorsett to stay healthy as much as the rest of us. But he has had problems with injuries dating back to high school, college and now the NFL. Just simple facts. It is what it is! Luckily it hasn't been anything serious. He did tear his MCL at Miami. 

19 hours ago, Dustin said:

The Eagles are looking for WR help. Obviously we wouldn't get out 1st rounder back for him, but maybe a 3rd rounder? He still has 3.5 years on his contract.

19 hours ago, Dustin said:

The Eagles are looking for WR help. Obviously we wouldn't get out 1st rounder back for him, but maybe a 3rd rounder? He still has 3.5 years on his contract.

Why would we trade him for a 3rd .....make sense of this to me wr takes about 3 yrs to get good at,  to learn route running etc...