Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts turn it around this season?

Smoke317

This is my very first topic. Forgive me if someone has already made a topic covering this. But can we realistically turn it around this season and get in the playoffs?

I am a diehard fan and hate to see the team lose and struggle and I'm not ready to give up on this season just yet. I know we're very flawed and lacking talent and experience on both sides of the ball but we've been in every game we've played this year with a chance to win every one of them.  I believe that if our Oline continues to improve and we can get a taste of winning anything is possible.  My biggest concern outside of our coaches is our nonexistent pass rush and our lack of talent in our linebacking corp in general. Also now, we're gonna be without Moncrief, Dorsett, and Allen for a week or more.  Are these recent injuries on offense the proverbial nail in our coffin this season?  

Or just like Rogers has given us something can Smith, Swoope, and Coffman step in and help fill the void till our injured playmakers return?  Or is our remaining schedule to daunting and our coaches too inept to right this ship?  I don't see any world beaters on our remaining schedule besides maybe the Steelers (our nemesis but if the Dolphins can beat them why can't we?) and the Vikings (who for some reason don't strike fear in my heart offensively and it should be a close game if we play well).  So can a turnaround happen or is this gonna be back to back miserable seasons?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could they still win the division?  Sure.  This division is up for grabs.  The REAL question is do we want them to?  And do what, get blown out in the playoffs by a REAL team?  Then settle for the next 20-something draft pick again and watch a top-flight stud pass-rusher light it up for another team?  I'm done with that.  If there is no legitimate chance to get to the Superbowl, what is the point if you can't get draft picks that have a chance to make the difference the next year?  Then you are essentially insane, doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results.  I'm not so sure I WANT them to win the division right now.  They have no business doing so really.

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

This is my very first topic. Forgive me if someone has already made a topic covering this. But can we realistically turn it around this season and get in the playoffs?

I am a diehard fan and hate to see the team lose and struggle and I'm not ready to give up on this season just yet. I know we're very flawed and lacking talent and experience on both sides of the ball but we've been in every game we've played this year with a chance to win every one of them.  I believe that if our Oline continues to improve and we can get a taste of winning anything is possible.  My biggest concern outside of our coaches is our nonexistent pass rush and our lack of talent in our linebacking corp in general. Also now, we're gonna be without Moncrief, Dorsett, and Allen for a week or more.  Are these recent injuries on offense the proverbial nail in our coffin this season?  

Or just like Rogers has given us something can Smith, Swoope, and Coffman step in and help fill the void till our injured playmakers return?  Or is our remaining schedule to daunting and our coaches too inept to right this ship?  I don't see any world beaters on our remaining schedule besides maybe the Steelers (our nemesis but if the Dolphins can beat them why can't we?) and the Vikings (who for some reason don't strike fear in my heart offensively and it should be a close game if we play well).  So can a turnaround happen or is this gonna be back to back miserable seasons?

great post, the answer is yes, if we quit making mistakes and can find a way to pressure the qb

I think they can turn things around in the standings but I don't think the actual problems will be fixed.

They will probably still keep coming out slow and unprepared or only play 3 of 4 quarters, still have to rely on Luck's heroics, the pass rush will still be non existent, and even if they make the playoffs they will probably be embarassed. So I do think they can make the playoffs but I'm not holding out any hope for the real problems of this team and the coaching staff to be fixed.

4 hours ago, runthepost said:

Lol only reason the fins won was because Ben got hurt and their pass rush. The steelers will score 40+ on thanksgiving.  The Vikings will probably make Andrew have his worse game of the season

I honestly doubt that they do if Ben's still not playing. His ability to improvise and extend plays with his legs make them a nightmare matchup for the Colts D, but without that element to account for, they're honestly just another team.

I don't know, I feel like we could be the reverse of the 2012 Ravens...  If you remember they lost 4 of their last 5 games, squeaked into the play-offs with a 10-6 record...  and then caught on fire and won the SB. Maybe Mathis needs to light the fire by announcing his retirement like ray lewis did. :)

We are only a few points away from being 5-1 at the moment and while 'being close' really only counts in horseshoes, it does give a short term reason to still be positive. yes we are 2-4...  but there is still the possibility to go 8-2 or better in the last 10 games, be on fire at the end of the season, and remind all the haters that we are the powerhouse in this terrible AFC South.

This team can get into the playoffs based upon the fact that it has Luck at QB and we play in the AFC South. Take away either of those two facts from the equation though and this would not be a playoff team which speaks volumes about the rest of the roster outside of Luck and how bad the AFC South is.

I agree with some of the others. At the end of the day maybe it is better to get the high draft pick rather than make the playoffs just to go one and done. That said, I am still rooting for the team to win every week. I honestly expect us to lose to Tennessee this Sunday though and I think that will essentially be the nail in the coffin for our playoff chances. Only way we win is if the Colts offense can put up 28+ points because I think our D is going to struggle with Murray and Mariota.

Nope. Looking back, this season was over before it ever began. We all wanted to believe it would be a good year, but in hindsight, we should have known better. Just take a look at the roster and play armchair GM for a moment. How may of the guys on this roster would you consider worth keeping on the roster next year? I'm only coming up with 12, and possibly 15 or 16 if you really stretch your definition of "worth". Even if the Colts come up with a brilliant new GM and a whole new coaching staff they won't fix this next year either. One draft and one FA crop might plug half a dozen gaping holes, but it still won't make up for the mismanagement of the last five years or so. They've just had too many bad drafts, too many "high ceiling projects", too many misses in FA, and too many bad decisions on who to let walk. Lord, help our Colts. 

Yes, the Colts can IMO. Yes, we are 2-4, yes we have lost 2 division games already. But we can do it. Look at the margin of loss for us. The worst game was Denver and we lost by what 12 points? all of the other games so far have been a one score game that could have just as easily went the other way. The Colts just need to play a little better and close out their games. We could just as easily be at 5-1... but on the other side we could also be winless. 

ABSOLUTELY! Despite what people may think, this team is better than their record, talent-wise. They have made a TON of mistakes; dropped passes, penalties, bad tackling, errant throws or bad throwing decisions and yes, some questionable coaching decisions. All are correctable.

Staying healthy is key. Their O-line is improving and can play much better. Getting Moncrief, Dorsett and Allen back can only help.

The D-line, when healthy, could be the strength of this defense. The secondary needs time to gel but can also be a strength, and in the process, help the pass rush.

As far as the linebackers, D'Quell is not playing bad, but after that, it's a crap shoot. (Having 3 good safeties give them the possibility of utilizing one of them in a hybrid role). 

Teams have gotten themselves out of early holes by making corrections, in the past. Why not the Colts?

6 minutes ago, BertJones said:

2015 teams that started 2-4

Seattle

Redskins

Texans

all made playoffs

mtv3p4z.jpg

Browns, Chargers, 49ers, Saints, Bears... all started 2-4...

None made the playoffs... They also have 6 wins combined to start this season.

9 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

ABSOLUTELY! Despite what people may think, this team is better than their record, talent-wise. They have made a TON of mistakes; dropped passes, penalties, bad tackling, errant throws or bad throwing decisions and yes, some questionable coaching decisions. All are correctable.

Staying healthy is key. Their O-line is improving and can play much better. Getting Moncrief, Dorsett and Allen back can only help.

The D-line, when healthy, could be the strength of this defense. The secondary needs time to gel but can also be a strength, and in the process, help the pass rush.

As far as the linebackers, D'Quell is not playing bad, but after that, it's a crap shoot. (Having 3 good safeties give them the possibility of utilizing one of them in a hybrid role). 

Teams have gotten themselves out of early holes by making corrections, in the past. Why not the Colts?

I feel like it should be pointed out that lots of fans from other teams say this about their team. I've seen lots of Chargers and Browns fans say this.

Hey, I'm glad my first post got 20 replies so far. Now I officially feel like a member of the Colts Fan Forum. Thanks for the interest guys. 

I'm really torn about this team. I understand how some of us Colts fans can say we would be better off with a high draft pick and get a difference making pass rusher. There's sound logic in that line of thought. Also, it "could" lead to a coaching/front office change. I just have very little faith in Pagano but the fan in me wants us to win every game every year.  So if Chuck can turn it around and get us to the promised land, I'm all for it. Plus we should have a lot of cap room and could still bring in some quality defenders.

I noticed guys mentioned teams just last year who rebounded from 2-4 starts and made the playoffs. We certainly have the QB and offensive pieces to do it. Plus our division isn't all that either. Also a few of the SB champions weren't dominant but got hot and rode that hot streak to win it all. The Steelers (who stole our SB) and both Giants teams come to mind.  

Like someone said, maybe Mathis should announce his retirement and see if it lights a spark in our guys...  At worst we'd have to finish 7-3 to get in with none of those losses coming in the division. I'm making the trip down to Tennessee this Sunday.  Hope I can bring us some good luck and come back with a win. If not, I'll concede it's over and it's definitely time to start looking for a top 2 pick to get Garrett. 

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Browns, Chargers, 49ers, Saints, Bears... all started 2-4...

None made the playoffs... They also have 6 wins combined to start this season.

the fact that 3 did is a high freaking number for a 2-4 start.

and the teams you mention of last year arent built as strong as the Colts to begin with,except for Saints who still expect to have a good year

The Colts did more with less last year as well. Now they have Luck carrying them.

No. We still have the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Raiders, and Vikings left. The Jets have QB issues but they're defensive line is still top 10. And the Chiefs might be tough too plus the Jags again and Titans. You can try and point to the flaws in each of those teams as reason to be hopeful but they all look better than the Colts atm.

The Colts will lose at least another 4-5 games for sure. I'm leaning towards 5 so 7-9 is probably the best they can do. They might shock people with a surprise win that'll give all the blind Colts fan some hope and cause them to overreact but this season is done.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Hey, I'm glad my first post got 20 replies so far. Now I officially feel like a member of the Colts Fan Forum. Thanks for the interest guys. 

I'm really torn about this team. I understand how some of us Colts fans can say we would be better off with a high draft pick and get a difference making pass rusher. There's sound logic in that line of thought. Also, it "could" lead to a coaching/front office change. I just have very little faith in Pagano but the fan in me wants us to win every game every year.  So if Chuck can turn it around and get us to the promised land, I'm all for it. Plus we should have a lot of cap room and could still bring in some quality defenders.

Congratulations on your maiden voyage or first forum thread Smoke. Yeah, it's always a good feeling to start creating topics of discussion that people can chime in on. Happy for ya man. 

Honestly, I dread playing the Steelers & Vikings this yr. Zimmer is gonna crush us by halftime. I'm not overly optimistic about our prospects this season. To answer your question, no we won't make the playoffs & I anticipate a new GM & HC once this calendar yr ends. The longer we wait to make a change on the sidelines & in the front office the worse morale is going to be IMO. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No. We still have the Packers, Steelers, Jets, Raiders, and Vikings left. The Jets have QB issues but they're defensive line is still top 10. And the Chiefs might be tough too plus the Jags again and Titans. You can try and point to the flaws in each of those teams as reason to be hopeful but they all look better than the Colts atm.

The Colts will lose at least another 4-5 games for sure. I'm leaning towards 5 so 7-9 is probably the best they can do. They might shock people with a surprise win that'll give all the blind Colts fan some hope and cause them to overreact but this season is done.

We should beat the packers, jets and raiders.

Realistically only a 1% chance of turning it around. Worst team in the division. Tough schedule ahead. I would rather see them tear the team down and start over-it kinda needs to be that way at this point - if that happens atleast all the losses would be easier to swallow cuz the expectations would be lower( currently it's hard to watch,find myself thankful for nfl sunday ticket ).

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We should beat the packers, jets and raiders.

I disagree with 66%  of that. 

Packers I assume Rodgers will surgically dice our secondary.  With a dash of run game. 

Jets, I can see it going our way, esp if they are in the middle of a qb shuffle. But that's not a given. 

Oak, as of now I just see them bashing us over the head with passes and feeding Cooper/Crabtree for 28pts in the air. 

No not this year, but we will win a few more games.

My only hope at this point is that Luck and other GOOD players can stay healthy and avoid major injuries for the rest of the season and that at the end of the year Irsay throws Grigson and Pagano off a cliff. It is crucial that if this team moves forward with new people in charge that guys like Luck can stay healthy enough to avoid any more damage IMO so we can build around him better since he is still technically young. And I don't think sometimes we are that far off even. We need some pass rush help, another good DB and some better play calling and game management and we could compete for the playoffs again.

The only thing we have that can be relied on week in and week out is usually special teams lol. You know it's bad when fans of other teams say to you "Hey you guys got a great punter!!!!! And Adam is still rocking!!!!!!."

Houston is still the favorite, but if the Titans beat us this weekend it could get interesting since TN is kinda just lingering around all year strangely. The Jags won't go anywhere.

57 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

I disagree with 66%  of that. 

Packers I assume Rodgers will surgically dice our secondary.  With a dash of run game. 

Jets, I can see it going our way, esp if they are in the middle of a qb shuffle. But that's not a given. 

Oak, as of now I just see them bashing us over the head with passes and feeding Cooper/Crabtree for 28pts in the air. 

I think we can win in a shoot out with all three of them and the packers haven't been as good this year plus lacy is hurt.

13 hours ago, runthepost said:

Lol only reason the fins won was because Ben got hurt and their pass rush. The steelers will score 40+ on thanksgiving.  The Vikings will probably make Andrew have his worse game of the season

Steelers are scoring 50+ on thanksgiving save the embarrassment and don't bother watching that game because even in Indy that game isn't going to be pretty.

No.

On defense, the Colts can't beat the offensive tackles to pressure a QB, and on offense, the Colts tackles are being beat regularly on both sides. They're outmatched. They may scheme their way to some success, they may 'big play' their way to some success, but wins over 60 minute contests will be few and far between. You can't consistently lose those matchups and still win. We're headed toward 5-11, 6-10, 7-9.