Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore: 'I didn't come here for this'

lollygagger8

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000722812/article/frank-gore-i-didnt-come-here-for-this

When Frank Gore signed up with the Indianapolis Colts in 2015, the franchise was coming off back-to-back division titles and three straight playoff appearances.

It was supposed to be a team primed to take a step forward. Instead, Chuck Pagano's squad has crashed, going 8-8 last season and starting this year 2-4.

Following Sunday night's disparaging collapse to the Houston Texans, Gore lamented the situation while talking to Indy Star columnist Gregg Doyle.

According to Doyle, while the rest of the players talked in platitudes about getting back to work and putting the loss behind them, Gore seemed frustrated almost to tears."I didn't come here for this," the former 49ers running back said. "I came here to get into the tournament."

With the loss, the Colts fell to last place in the AFC South. In the cellar of the worst division in the NFL isn't a place that a team with playoff aspirations should find itself six games into the season.

"We'll go back to work tomorrow," coach Chuck Pagano said Sunday. "What else are you gonna do?"

The Colts have come unhinged due to a defense that can't get stops when it matters, an inconsistent offense and a coaching staff that perpetually mismanages games.

Gore didn't join the Colts to miss the playoffs or go 21 straight games before breaking the 100-yard-rushing barrier. This wasn't how it was supposed to go for the 33-year-old veteran in search of aSuper Bowl ring to cement his Hall of Fame case.

Unfortunately for Gore, with a roster haphazardly put together by Ryan Grigson and mismanaged by Pagano, things appear more likely to get worse in Indy before they get better.

Poor guy. He deserves better. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad he voiced his opinion.  Us fans are in the same boat!  We're not use to the Colts being man handled on a weekly basis.  We have been spoiled with double digit wins and playoff births for the past 15-20 years except for a few.  That game last night really sucked.  Up 14 with 2:30 left and the defense gives up two very easy touchdowns. 

1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I am glad he voiced his opinion.  Us fans are in the same boat!  We're not use to the Colts being man handled on a weekly basis.  We have been spoiled with double digit wins and playoff births for the past 15-20 years except for a few.  That game last night really sucked.  Up 14 with 2:30 left and the defense gives up two very easy touchdowns. 

What makes these losses worse is actually we haven't been manhandled, in every loss we had a chance to win the game on a last drive or a Defensive stop. If we were getting beat by 14-17 points every week then I would say we stink but we aren't. Regarding Gore I do feel bad for him because we were coming off a Title Game with high hopes and since then we have played Mediocre Football. In hindsight we should've never signed Johnson and Cole and went younger in Free Agency but oh well what is done is done.

I'm glad that Gore voiced his opinion also. There are too many things wrong with this team. No pass rush, age issues and inexperience in the secondary, poor tackling, inexperience on the O-line. questionable play calling.and mediocre run-blocking. Not to mention injuries! It seems to have gotten worse after the strength and conditioning coaches were fired!

I truly believe that Irsay made a mistake by keeping Grigs and Pagano, as much as I like Chuck as a person...

He's definitely been upholding his end of the bargain, so in that regard I feel for him because you definitely can't say that about everyone on the team. But at the same time, nothing's a sure thing in the NFL. Going to a team because you think they're a "contender" doesn't always work out, in reality, it's a total crapshoot. Remember, he also had his shot at a Super Bowl with the 49ers, played very well in the game, but they just fell a little short.

There are a lot of great players that don't even get that opportunity.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

Oh well. He signed up for it.

I don't feel bad for him honestly.

i do, he got took by a crappy coach and gm just like a lot of fans here. Maybe now, Irsay will wise up.  Yeah, I know you can't find a good HC mid season, but Pagano needs to go. Period.  Put Chud as Temp HC and roll with it

I wish he would, as a veteran, do this in the form a of closed locker room and totally ream the whole team, rather than express his frustrations to the press - but he can hardly be blamed for that. I would like to see the leadership on this team start to jump up the rears of some of the other teammates that aren't pulling their weight.

If yet another receiver drops a pass, I'd like to see Luck go "Peyton" on the guy tell him to get his damn head (and hands) in the game instead of the 'Rah, rah, it'll be okay hand clap' nonsense that hasn't worked for five years and counting.

I'm not talking about yelling for yelling's sake. I'm talking about the few vets that DO perform starting to hold everyone else's feet to the fire and pick up their game.

Unless I'm just missing it, I'm not seeing anyone on this team taking that step forward with any significant degree of fire and rallying everyone else.

And no, I don't view that as a last act of desperation, but as an aspect to any team sport that should ALWAYS be there.

Or maybe I'm just missing my days in the Marine Corps and I'm having a bout with early onset senility. :lecture:

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What makes these losses worse is actually we haven't been manhandled, in every loss we had a chance to win the game on a last drive or a Defensive stop. If we were getting beat by 14-17 points every week then I would say we stink but we aren't. Regarding Gore I do feel bad for him because we were coming off a Title Game with high hopes and since then we have played Mediocre Football. In hindsight we should've never signed Johnson and Cole and went younger in Free Agency but oh well what is done is done.

True,  I should have explained myself better.  The DEFENSE has gotten man handled in those games.  Week 1 they gave up a FG with 35 seconds left.  Week 4 they gave up a few huge TD's towards the end of the game, I specifically remember the one with 5 minutes left.  This week they gave up 14 points the last 4 minutes of the game and an easy 3 that would have been 7 within 3 minutes of having the ball in O.T.  90% of the problem with this team is defense.  Maybe they should consider running the hurry up offense all game, is that possible? haha Literally outscore teams to win games.  That's their only hope imo.  I have been positive up until now but no way we go 7-3 or 8-2 in the last 10.  I just don't see it. 

True,  I should have explained myself better.  The DEFENSE has gotten man handled in those games.  Week 1 they gave up a FG with 35 seconds left.  Week 4 they gave up a few huge TD's towards the end of the game, I specifically remember the one with 5 minutes left.  This week they gave up 14 points the last 4 minutes of the game and an easy 3 that would have been 7 within 3 minutes of having the ball in O.T.  90% of the problem with this team is defense.  Maybe they should consider running the hurry up offense all game, is that possible? haha Literally outscore teams to win games.  That's their only hope imo.  I have been positive up until now but no way we go 7-3 or 8-2 in the last 10.  I just don't see it. 

Yeah our hopes went out the window last night IMO and I am Mr positive LOL. With the way our schedule looks, freakin Heath Evans may be right with his 6-10 prediction. I mean we still could realistically when the rest of our Division games if we learn how to close games but that still only gives us 6 wins.

Yeah our hopes went out the window last night IMO and I am Mr positive LOL. With the way our schedule looks, freakin Heath Evans may be right with his 6-10 prediction. I mean we still could realistically when the rest of our Division games if we learn how to close games but that still only gives us 6 wins.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i do, he got took by a crappy coach and gm just like a lot of fans here. Maybe now, Irsay will wise up.  Yeah, I know you can't find a good HC mid season, but Pagano needs to go. Period.  Put Chud as Temp HC and roll with it

Believe me I get your point. I just meant he jumped teams hoping it would work out. It hasn't, but he's way down on the list of feeling bad for.

I feel bad for us fans for getting our hopes dashed. He'll be fine retired in Florida with millions in the bank.

We waited all year for this crap fest we're seeing.

48 minutes ago, Pelt said:

If yet another receiver drops a pass, I'd like to see Luck go "Peyton" on the guy tell him to get his damn head (and hands) in the game instead of the 'Rah, rah, it'll be okay hand clap' nonsense that hasn't worked for five years and counting.

That's one thing that I'm just not sure Luck has.  

I've seen him be willing to get in there to stop a teammate from doing something stupid after the play is over.  

But to start yelling at a guy who's screwing up or something, that just doesn't seem to be in Luck's personality.  Maybe it's different in the locker room and we don't see it.  But honestly I just don't see it.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Believe me I get your point. I just meant he jumped teams hoping it would work out. It hasn't, but he's way down on the list of feeling bad for.

I feel bad for us fans for getting our hopes dashed. He'll be fine retired in Florida with millions in the bank.

We waited all year for this crap fest we're seeing.

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's one thing that I'm just not sure Luck has.  

I've seen him be willing to get in there to stop a teammate from doing something stupid after the play is over.  

But to start yelling at a guy who's screwing up or something, that just doesn't seem to be in Luck's personality.  Maybe it's different in the locker room and we don't see it.  But honestly I just don't see it.

It doesn't even need to be yelling. We all remember the look that Peyton would give to a receiver if they dropped a pass. If they dropped another one, Peyton wouldn't throw in their direction again for the rest of the game, or games after that. That is a way to get somebody to perform the way they're supposed to. Sometimes you just gotta put the screws to them.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree.

This is our remaining schedule, here's what I think the results will be.  I think most of the games will be one possession games.  If they can somehow manage to beat the teams they are suppose to and upset 2 other teams, they have a slight chance at 9-7.

@ Tenn W 27-21 (Titans could win this game if both RB's show up and Mariotta plays well)

Vs KC L 24-20 (Colts will have a lead with 3 min left and KC will get a TD to win the game)

@ GB L 35-24

Vs Tenn W 27-16

Vs Pitt L (blow out if Ben is back, which he should be) 38-21

@ Jets W 24-19

Vs. Texans W 30-20

@ Minn L 33-20

@ Oak L 35-31

Vs Jags W 23-17

With the understanding that Gore is paid handsomely for his servivices, I do feel bad for him, watching him walk off the field regularly looking like he wants to throw his helmet. He's probably talking to AJ sayin' he's the lucky one! Can't imagine the conversations those two are having with Reggie!! We all know where he stands. 

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree.

This is our remaining schedule, here's what I think the results will be.  I think most of the games will be one possession games except Green Bay, Minnesota and Pitt.  If they can somehow manage to beat the teams they are suppose to and upset 2 other teams, they have a slight chance. 

@ Tenn W 27-21 (Titans could win this game if both RB's show up and Mariotta plays well)

Vs KC L 24-20 (Colts will have a lead with 3 min left and KC will get a TD to win the game)

@ GB L 35-24

Vs Tenn W 27-16

Vs Pitt L (blow out if Ben is back, which he should be) 38-21

@ Jets W 24-19

Vs. Texans W 30-20

@ Minn L 33-20

@ Oak L 35-31

Vs Jags W 23-17

That is 5 wins you have, if we beat the Raiders it could be 6 possibly which would put us 8-8. Raiders are beatable at home for some reason, they laid an egg against KC yesterday.

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, not too many teams do though. I saw somebody mention it on another website and it stuck with me, good teams usually put a beating on bad teams but we just always seem to play to the level of our competition. Eeking out wins or losing close games against not so great competition (aside from the Broncos) doesn't seem like much to write home about IMO.

So I wouldn't exactly say we stink either, not Browns level bad, but I'd say we're a pretty below average team. I think we're pretty close to where the Chargers are. Actually I think we mirror them very closely. They've kept their losses very close, they've only lost their 4 games by a total of 14 points whereas we've lost our 4 by a total of 24 points. They have a good QB like we do, injuries like we do, and a coach that a lot of fans want gone like a lot of us do.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, not too many teams do though. I saw somebody mention it on another website and it stuck with me, good teams usually put a beating on bad teams but we just always seem to play to the level of our competition. Eeking out wins or losing close games against not so great competition (aside from the Broncos) doesn't seem like much to write home about IMO.

So I wouldn't exactly say we stink either, not Browns level bad, but I'd say we're a pretty below average team. I think we're pretty close to where the Chargers are. Actually I think we mirror them very closely. They've kept their losses very close, they've only lost their 4 games by a total of 14 points whereas we've lost our 4 by a total of 24 points. They have a good QB like we do, injuries like we do, and a coach that a lot of fans want gone like a lot of us do.

What is funny is, when I woke up this morning I was thinking we are just like the Chargers. That is a great comparison because Rivers always gives them hope too like Luck does us. Both teams find the most silly ways to lose as well. Coaches are even similar.

43 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

90% of the problem with this team is defense.  Maybe they should consider running the hurry up offense all game, is that possible? haha Literally outscore teams to win games.  That's their only hope imo.  I have been positive up until now but no way we go 7-3 or 8-2 in the last 10.  I just don't see it. 

Totally agree. I get trying to protect the defense by putting together offensive drives that eat clock and ultimately end with points. It prevents them from being on the field so often and getting fatigued early, but this defense isn't stopping anyone regardless of how rested they are. Might as well try to score points in bunches, it's the only advantage this team has, seems silly not to use it.

34 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Totally agree. I get trying to protect the defense by putting together offensive drives that eat clock and ultimately end with points. It prevents them from being on the field so often and getting fatigued early, but this defense isn't stopping anyone regardless of how rested they are. Might as well try to score points in bunches, it's the only advantage this team has, seems silly not to use it.

That's exactly what I've been saying.  Ever since week 1.  Why not run a quicker offense and try to score 30-40 points a game.  I'd think that'd give us a chance at least!  This season has been very frustrating to say the least!

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I'll take the ham sandwich, at this point they may as well take any picks we can get for the older players. 

the vikings are already short on picks

i doubt they would give up anything better than a sixth for gore

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the vikings are already short on picks

i doubt they would give up anything better than a sixth for gor

If that's the best we can get i'll take it we aren't going anywhere this year.  Let him go somewhere he has a chance at a SB and we at least get something out of it.