Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill O' Brien vs. Chuck Pagano -- a tale of two opposites.

Studying these two coaching personalities on both sides of the extreme has left me curious which I prefer. Bill O'Brien is honest with his emotions; you see it all the time on the sidelines when he rolls his eyes and face palms. Pagano is more reserved, and even claps when our team makes mistakes.

At half-time, in Houston's game against the Colts, a reporter asked O'Brien what needs to be done to fire up his offense and he was honest with his answer: "I don't know." When I heard that, I laughed and said to myself, "They're done! Stick a fork in them," but they clearly made some half-time adjustments, and in hindsight, I appreciated O'Brien's honesty. If Pagano was asked the same question in O'Brien's situation, he would have put a spin on his answer with a canned response.

I was also digging through some old clips of O'Brien and saw his time when he got into a heated verbal exchange with Tom Brady after a thrown INT. Pagano would never lecture a QB like that, but I appreciate this level of accountability O'Brien shows in his players. Someone else who was firm with his players was Bruce Arians -- I saw him chat with Luck a lot on the sidelines after Luck would make a mistake.

I don't know if Pagano will get fired, but if he does, I want a coach who's closer to O'Brien's personality. We need to light a fire under our players. They don't play with passion. I think a lack of player leadership is at fault with the absence of Manning and Wayne, so we need to off-set that void with tougher coaching.

If you browse a Texans blog you'll see that BOB has about the same level of reputation among their fans like Pagano has around here. The Bolts and Jags fans can't wait that their HC gets fired. I don't think either one is better than the other or better than the average for that matter...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Ballard and Frank are always talking team fit, who fits your team best.  Jenkins seems like a good fit to me, and will likely be available.  
    • No team in their right mind would trade for Watson. I’d bet money the Texans will out right cut Watson, sooner or later.    Months ago he demands a trade and now that he’s in deep doo-doo, you think the Texan’s want to deal with mess. Hell No! 
    • Some of the recent posts remind me of a comedian back in the 1970's Flip Wilson, who used a catchphrase "The Devil made me do it".  He built a whole routine around the concept of a person or people blaming another (usually someone in authority) for their own bad acts.  It was funny then, because that was back when people made fun of a person like that instead of supporting the concept.   It will be interesting to see the outcome of the legal battles.    I can't see a team trading much for him during this time.  It doesn't seem to be getting better.
    • There is speculation that the Eagles are interested in Watson. I thought that they were going with Hurts, but have to see how that works out. 
    • At this time of year, every year, all of us have created a draft board.  How we think the draft will fall out.  Most of us also have a selection of players from that draft board that are the ones they especially like.  These are My Guys. I would like to issue a challenge.  Go back through your records for every year, and find:  A - your best draft prospect, B - your worst draft prospect, C - any of your prospects the Colts took, D - a late round prospect of yours that blossomed.   I'll start out with mine:   2015 Best - Andrus Peat, T, Stanford (Saints #13 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (undrafted, went nowhere) Colts - Zack Hodges, OLB, Harvard (UFA, didn't stick) Late - Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana (Falcons #73) 2016 Best - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio St (Cowboys #4 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Su'a Cravens, S, USC Colts - Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama (Colts #18 overall) Late - Joe Schoebert, LB, Wisconsin (Browns #99, pro bowl) 2017 Best - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Texans #12, 3 pro bowls) Worst - tie John Ross, WR, Ohio St / Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama Colts - none Late - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (Chargers #71 overall) 2018 Best - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (#6 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Arden Key, DE, LSU Colts - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame Late - Kyzir White, S/LB, West Virginia 2019 Best - AJ Brown, WR, Mississippi Worst - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Colts - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple / Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St Late - Terry McLauren, WR, Ohio St 2020 Best - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma Worst - Denzell Mims, WR, Baylor / Calvin Throckmorton, T, Oregon Colts - none Late - too soon to call
  • Members

• The Oopty Oop

The Oopty Oop 51

• mirobi48

mirobi48 38

• cdgacoltsfan

cdgacoltsfan 621

• chad72

chad72 7,364

• JediXMan

JediXMan 514

• Melancholie