Do WHATEVER it takes to get Harbaugh out of Michigan

SilentHill

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

With Andrew Luck.  That alone could get a lot of people excited.

However, I'm not on the Harbaugh train.  He's not very mature and his act can divide a locker room.  I'll pass on him

I'd rather have his brother honestly.  

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think Jon Gruden and Luck could be a deadly combo.  Not saying that's who I want for head coach, but the two could be great together.

What you said are his coaching accomplishments.  He didn't build the roster.  He called the games and brought the best out of the players using his schemes.  Great coach, but we don't know how he would be at handling the draft, free agency, contracts, trades, etc. What could go wrong is you give a guy complete control, like Holmgren had in Cleveland, and he runs your franchise even further into the ground.

Jon Gruden created a revolving door at quarterback when he coached Tampa Bay. Pull up the Bucs rosters between 2002 to 2008, and he had different quarterbacks every year. Every QB he drafted there, he quickly ruined by throwing them out there with the west coast offense and then giving up on them when they would struggle. 

Gruden also has or had a fascination with backup quarterbacks and older QB's. The Rich Gannon effect. He pretty much was trying to find his new Gannon at Tampa Bay. I can promise you, since Hasselbeck won more games than Luck last year, that would be his choice if he was coaching the Colts. He probably would have wanted Brian Hoyer or some other hot shot looking backup. 

Given how inconsistent Luck can be and his turnover problems, Gruden would give up on him in just 2 years max, just like he did with Brad Johnson after he had an ugly season. 

Gruden is not the answer to the Colts problems. That Super Bowl he won in Tampa, was 100% on Tony Dungy building a historical defense who were playing in their prime and were due for success. 

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I agree.

But mlb forced Cincinnati reds owner Marge schott out. Nba recently forced a owner to sell after racial and embarrassing comments. 

I hope nfl does something similar with irsay.

That's a bit silly

1 hour ago, Samu-Rye said:

I believe its time to give Matt Patricia a look. Great resume and coaching tree. After watching what he does,year after year, I can swallow the fact that he a Patriots coach right now.

No one on that staff is leaving to come to Indy, ever. A) He has a GREAT thing going there, B) that whole Deflategate thing, kind of rubbed that organization the wrong way from top to bottom, they kind of hate us. We're sworn enemies at this point. He'd probably fly to Indianapolis on a private jet just to laugh in Irsay's face and reject his offer.

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Jon Gruden created a revolving door at quarterback when he coached Tampa Bay. Pull up the Bucs rosters between 2002 to 2008, and he had different quarterbacks every year. Every QB he drafted there, he quickly ruined by throwing them out there with the west coast offense and then giving up on them when they would struggle. 

Gruden also has or had a fascination with backup quarterbacks and older QB's. The Rich Gannon effect. He pretty much was trying to find his new Gannon at Tampa Bay. I can promise you, since Hasselbeck won more games than Luck last year, that would be his choice if he was coaching the Colts. He probably would have wanted Brian Hoyer or some other hot shot looking backup. 

Given how inconsistent Luck can be and his turnover problems, Gruden would give up on him in just 2 years max, just like he did with Brad Johnson after he had an ugly season. 

Gruden is not the answer to the Colts problems. That Super Bowl he won in Tampa, was 100% on Tony Dungy building a historical defense who were playing in their prime and were due for success. 

Gruden has a bit of a man crush on Luck, so I think he would handle things differently.  One reason why Gruden can't find a consistent QB is because his offense is insanely verbose.  It's difficult for younger guys to understand all of the verbiage he uses, remember what they all mean, etc.  I think he'd have tons of success with a guy like Luck who has been in the West Coast system for years and is very smart.  Luck is also much more talented than any of the QBs Gruden had in Tampa, and it's well established that Luck is the franchise here.  So I don't think there's much chance of Gruden giving up on Luck.  But with Gruden's knowledge of Xs and Os, I think he and Luck could do some real damage together.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No one on that staff is leaving to come to Indy, ever. A) He has a GREAT thing going there, B) that whole Deflategate thing, kind of rubbed that organization the wrong way from top to bottom, they kind of hate us. We're sworn enemies at this point. He'd probably fly to Indianapolis on a private jet just to laugh in Irsay's face and reject his offer.

I don't believe that... This is a business... a promotion, a big raise, and a franchise QB... there's a good chance they accept the position.  Depending on what offers from other teams may be on the table of course. 

27 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

As much as I like Patricia and I think McDaniels can be a good head coach, the history of Pats coordinators working away from Belichick isn't too pretty.  I think Patricia could be a good head coach, and I think McDaniels has learned from what happened in Denver.  McDaniels and Luck could also be a deadly combo.  But Pats coordinators don't usually do well when Belichick isn't there.  I don't think the DeflateGate thing is going to deter them.  When you're given the chance to be a head coach of a franchise with a great QB to work with, most people take the offer.

1 hour ago, Samu-Rye said:

I believe its time to give Matt Patricia a look. Great resume and coaching tree. After watching what he does,year after year, I can swallow the fact that he a Patriots coach right now.

I would love to see Matt Patricia, but I think he is The Heir Apparent to the New England Patriots, so I'm not sure he would want to walk away from them, especially considering how old Belichick is. Belichick is probably no more than 3 years from retirement if you consider him retiring when Brady hangs it up.

48 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

they are coaches not fans. 

51 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Gruden has a bit of a man crush on Luck, so I think he would handle things differently.  One reason why Gruden can't find a consistent QB is because his offense is insanely verbose.  It's difficult for younger guys to understand all of the verbiage he uses, remember what they all mean, etc.  I think he'd have tons of success with a guy like Luck who has been in the West Coast system for years and is very smart.  Luck is also much more talented than any of the QBs Gruden had in Tampa, and it's well established that Luck is the franchise here.  So I don't think there's much chance of Gruden giving up on Luck.  But with Gruden's knowledge of Xs and Os, I think he and Luck could do some real damage together.

Luck hasn't been in a west coast system

16 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I would love to see Matt Patricia, but I think he is The Heir Apparent to the New England Patriots, so I'm not sure he would want to walk away from them, especially considering how old Belichick is. Belichick is probably no more than 3 years from retirement if you consider him retiring when Brady hangs it up.

Patricia interviewed with Cleveland last year. CLEVELAND!!

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure what other Coaches I would want but Harbaugh would be a definite so would Matt Patricia - I will buy into that. Urban Meyer I can buy into as well. I don't care for Nick Saban that much though because he already tried it in the NFL and failed. Saban is 64, Meyer is only 52 as well.

Lots of guys failed their first go around. Plus, Saban looks about the same age as meyer.

Whoever would come would need to make an immediate impact.  Indy couldn't do four more "building" years as they've just done as Luck continues to take a beating.  O-line issues, pass rush, and run D (D scheme entirely) would need to be fixed with personnel shifting, a very solid draft, and some free agency.  

I like:

Patricia 

Gruden (Pipe dream)

Cowher (GM)-Why leave the booth?

My number guy to take a serious run at is Tom Coughlin or Maybe Marvin Lewis if his Bengals miss the playoffs & he finally gets fired from the Bengals. 

I like Tom because he'll clean up the penalties & mental mistakes. I like Marvin because he knows how to build depth on defense. 

No way in hades do I want Jim Harbaugh. He burns out after 4 yrs on average. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

My number guy to take a serious run at is Tom Coughlin or Maybe Marvin Lewis if his Bengals miss the playoffs & he finally gets fired from the Bengals. 

I like Tom because he'll clean up the penalties & mental mistakes. I like Marvin because he knows how to build depth on defense. 

I do like Coughlin.  He plays a disciplined game.  Do you think he'd be interested or would he be happy with retirement?

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I just don't see Harbaugh burning out in Indy if he is Coaching Andrew Luck. He Coached him in college. Harbaugh was a play away from getting Alex Smith to a SB and almost won one with Kaepernick. 49ers were garbage in 2010 and then when he took over they were Very Good to Great with Alex Smith.

17 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I thought the offense he ran in college was West Coast.  He certainly seemed to know a lot about it when discussing it with Gruden on his QB Camp show

Yeah, but seems he has been in a vertical offense since he left college....even with Pep.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yeah, but seems he has been in a vertical offense since he left college....even with Pep.

True.  "West Coast" means so many things these days that I think it's somewhat lost meaning.  But the principles and concepts Gruden likes to run in his offense seem to be things Luck is very familiar with.  Gruden's QB Camp is obviously not as detailed as a real coaching playbook, but Luck and Gruden seem to be talking the same language (1:51 to 4:32 in the video below).  Gruden even notes that there's "a lot of familiarity in the systems", and the two talk as though their brains are connected.  They could probably finish each other's sentences

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Thinking about it I'd love Harbaugh!! Not Jim tho I'd love Jim but no chance but I'd sure as hell take his brother. Cause if the Ravens have another bad season he could be let go and id take him in a heartbeat!

Yep, John's awesome. I even liked him when he was the Special Teams coach in Philly man. 

It depends how much of a shelf life Steve Biscotti, owner of the Ravens, he is willing to give him for 1 SB win. I'd gladly take John Harbaugh if Tom Coughlin says no thank you. John knows what it takes to win. His team almost beat the Giants because of WR OBJ taking off his helmet & giving Baltimore 15 free yards. Man, I was furious at #13 over that! It ticked me off. I've seen Flacco win so many last second drives. I was sweating bullets man. I really was. 

13 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just like when we had a chance to get Wade Phillips before he went to Denver and we didn't do it then. 

You make a great point about Wade Phillips Lolly. He's a tremendous DC. We should have brought him in no question. I was floored when during that NFL Network 1 hour drama about their 2015 SB season, not "America's Game" the other one, how Wade had no offers until Kubiack & Elway hired him again. Are you serious? No team wanted his vast knowledge on D? That's insane. Unbelievable... 

I always liked his daddy Bum Phillips coaching the Houston Oilers too. He looked really good in a cowboy hat too.

Plus, I will always respect Wade for admitting his coaching tenure wasn't great, but he knew what he excelled at: Making QBs feel uncomfortable. Wade's a good guy. I just have a soft spot for the man. What can I say. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't see Harbaugh burning out in Indy if he is Coaching Andrew Luck. He Coached him in college. Harbaugh was a play away from getting Alex Smith to a SB and almost won one with Kaepernick. 49ers were garbage in 2010 and then when he took over they were Very Good to Great with Alex Smith.

I get what you're saying CBE, but I think there is such a thing as knowing each other a little too well. I usually like reunions but not this one though between Harbaugh & Chewy. I'll pass. 

Yeah, Jim literally saved Alex Smith's NFL career no question. His dink & dunk style will never win a SB in KC. I don't care what Andy Reid thinks. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I get what you're saying CBE, but I think there is such a thing as knowing each other a little too well. I usually like reunions but not this one though between Harbaugh & Chewy. I'll pass. 

Yeah, Jim literally saved Alex Smith's NFL career no question. His dink & dunk style will never win a SB in KC. I don't care what Andy Reid thinks. 

I agree that the Chiefs wont win the SB and a lot of it is because of Alex Smith but he stunk until Harbaugh took over. Anyway besides Coughlin who do you like? I have mentioned guys like Urban Meyer just thinking outside of the box and some like that idea, some don't. Most do say Harbaugh or Saban or Gruden.

58 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

True.  "West Coast" means so many things these days that I think it's somewhat lost meaning.  But the principles and concepts Gruden likes to run in his offense seem to be things Luck is very familiar with.  Gruden's QB Camp is obviously not as detailed as a real coaching playbook, but Luck and Gruden seem to be talking the same language (1:51 to 4:32 in the video below).  Gruden even notes that there's "a lot of familiarity in the systems", and the two talk as though their brains are connected.  They could probably finish each other's sentences

Gruden: "What are the keys to being accurate?" 

What Luck is thinking in 2016: Not getting hit, a new staff, a GM that can put an end to broken ribs, busted shoulders, & lacerated kidneys, a 1-2 punch besides Frank Gore, & can we focus on defense almost exclusively the next draft? 

I know it seems like I'm piling on today, but I think we all know change is on the horizon next season. The best thing that happened is that our division competition is getting better & therefore Colts coaches can't rest on the laurels that at least we won the AFC South again. No where to run; Nowhere to hide anymore.