Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will The 49Ers Go For Peyton Manning?

IcEWoLF

I am sure the 49ers are willing to trade draft picks and I am sure Irsay would want PM to go to an NFC team than an AFC rival.

If the 49ers get PM then might as well crown them as next years NFC champions.

Of course we have to see where PM is going to be by draft time and see if he is fully recovered by then.

He will be rusty, but he will be better than an average QB by a mile.

Niners make the most sense because Alex Smith will be a free agent. Alex Smith is in large part to blame for the NFCCG loss. Even with the first special teams fumble, the offense just needed to go get one FG to potentially win the game (See Jets vs. Colts 2010 playoffs). The 49ers offense had 2, 3 or 4 tries to go get the field goal and went 3 and out every time. The defense did an amazing job of stopping the giants in the late 4th. Alex Smith is a game manager at best.

Also the 49ers WR corp is not as bad as it looks. Their starting WR Josh Morgan is on IR (who is quite good). Vernon Davis is the Calvin Johnson of TE's. Kyle Williams is one of those small explosive speedy players. Delanie Walker is a slower but better blocking Vernon Davis. They are a complete team from special teams to defense to offense. The QB position just could use an upgrade. Oh dont forget Frank Gore he is the complete package.

I am sure the 49ers are willing to trade draft picks and I am sure Irsay would want PM to go to an NFC team than an AFC rival.

Of course we have to see where PM is going to be by draft time and see if he is fully recovered by then.

Can't trade Peyton. The $28 million was basically a no trade clause. But, yes, the 49ers might go for him as a FA

As a FA, the Browns, Redskins and Seahawks will all have a first shot based on waiver wire priority. I just hope he does not go to the Browns and deal with the blitzers of Blitzburgh and Ravens with his neck condition, he is smart enough to know that :).

Dolphins seem to be the best fit for him however, with probably the best O-line among teams needing a QB.

Niners make the most sense because Alex Smith will be a free agent. Alex Smith is in large part to blame for the NFCCG loss. Even with the first special teams fumble, the offense just needed to go get one FG to potentially win the game (See Jets vs. Colts 2010 playoffs). The 49ers offense had 2, 3 or 4 tries to go get the field goal and went 3 and out every time. The defense did an amazing job of stopping the giants in the late 4th. Alex Smith is a game manager at best.

Also the 49ers WR corp is not as bad as it looks. Their starting WR Josh Morgan is on IR (who is quite good). Vernon Davis is the Calvin Johnson of TE's. Kyle Williams is one of those small explosive speedy players. Delanie Walker is a slower but better blocking Vernon Davis. They are a complete team from special teams to defense to offense. The QB position just could use an upgrade. Oh dont forget Frank Gore he is the complete package.

I actually agree with you on this one...AL....all ther way..

Smih is why SF lost but after the ressurection year..they couldd never trade him.

His free agency take sit out of their hands. they simply dont make him a SERIOUS offer

He could command decent Free agent bucks from a dumb team and be gone

There is the Harbaugh-Manning connection.......a warm weather passing enviroment.

Top receivers......the SF tradition of Montana - Young...

he'd be out of the AFC and could not haunt the Colts.

If Manning leaves (and I still say he wont) SF is the premier destination...

Peyton has shown he can have success with lesser known guys at WR, like Blair White and Aaron Moorehead

Just an interesting factoid for you:

Aaron Moorehead is currently the assistant WR coach at Stanford, where he coaches the WRs that Luck throws to..

Does this improve your impression of Luck now?

I talk to a Niners fan on another forum who really doesn't want him. He said it gets talked about but he also said all season to me that getting Peyton would almost make it look like they are trying to buy a title instantly. Makes it seem cheap to him he said.

He does not know what could happen though.

I would not go as far as crowning them the NFC champs. It might be a lot like Favre on the Vikings for all we know in the end. They could still fall short.

The NFC is REALLY competitive in recent years. Not even Manning IMO is going to promise a title.

Besides, can the Niners also repeat this years suprise season? Can they maintain this? Would not suprise me if none of the current final 4 of the NFC make it back next year to the title games.

As a FA, the Browns, Redskins and Seahawks will all have a first shot based on waiver wire priority. I just hope he does not go to the Browns and deal with the blitzers of Blitzburgh and Ravens with his neck condition, he is smart enough to know that :).

Dolphins seem to be the best fit for him however, with probably the best O-line among teams needing a QB.

if we release him, then he is no longer under contract...it was a 1yr contract with a 4yr option if we pick it up...otherwise he is no longer under contract and may sign with whichever team he likes...so the waiver wire doesnt come into affect

That's not how waivers works.

How come no one mentions the Vikings as a possible landing spot? Are they that confident in Ponder?

I think they have already tried the "ease our 1st round QB into a starting position by hiring a vet" approach.

I think they are now fully on board with getting Ponder the required game experience to develop him faster.

Therefore I don't think they will be in a position to evaluate Ponder for another season or two.

If/when Peyton is released and if healthy I don't think he would choose a NFC team 'caus of Eli & NFC is a much tougher road to super bowl than AFC.

I just dont see what AFC team he can go to to win a SB that doesnt already have a QB. Maybe the Dolphins I guess but the 9ers are a much more loaded team at this point.

I just dont see what AFC team he can go to to win a SB that doesnt already have a QB. Maybe the Dolphins I guess but the 9ers are a much more loaded team at this point.

I agree the 49ers are a good choice. they have a 99% chance of winning the division and wait for NO & GB, BUT I don't think the Mannings want to be in same conference. In the AFC I think the Ravens(trade or don't resign Flacco) are a very good choice. Jets, but same division w/ Belichick, or some team in the weak west division like Broncos.

That's not how waivers works.

Waivers do work that way for free agents released/cut during the middle of the season - from worst team having the first shot and so on...just like the Chiefs could land Orton though the Cowboys and Bears were interested having better records thus having lower waiver priorities.

If what you are saying is that waivers for free agents in the offseason do not work that way like the above poster and is different from waivers for free agents cut during the middle of the season, then you are right; I did get that wrong.

if we release him, then he is no longer under contract...it was a 1yr contract with a 4yr option if we pick it up...otherwise he is no longer under contract and may sign with whichever team he likes...so the waiver wire doesnt come into affect

You are correct, I got that wrong.

heck yes we will go for peyton manning.

didnt realize that any front office executives from the San Francisco 49ers were here posting on the Colts.com message board! welcome! lol (just givin' you a hard time)...if i was the fan of ANY team i would like to have Peyton Manning...most of all as a fan of the Indianapolis Colts!