Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green to CB????

bigt

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Green's coverage is questionable and he's looked better as a tackler than coverage guy so far. He's only played a few competitive games but I think its a long shot for him to be able to matchup with no.2 receivers straight away

Yes, this would be another brilliant move by the coaching staff and front office :thinking:

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Let Green be the guy they want him to be. the single high, so he can cover the deep routes so davis and robinson can man press.  Geathers can then play around the box.  

I left Adams out for a reason.

You should've left Robinson out for THE reason. 

Then who would play safety? Green has speed, but I'm not sold on his coverage ability yet. He's missed quite a few tackles as well. 

Butler is always hurt. Geathers is good right now, but has been hurt. If Adams went down, we'd be screwed. 

They should've kept Cromartie. At least he made Robinson look good. 

Melvin is at least serviceable. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Let Green be the guy they want him to be. the single high, so he can cover the deep routes so davis and robinson can man press.  Geathers can then play around the box.  

I left Adams out for a reason.

the problem with that is its the exact opposite of how he was used in college.  he played mostly in the box going after running backs

with more experience he could end up playing that role, but its probably a little early to put him there.  thats not far off from what adams already does for us either

I'd rather slide Geathers down to LB full-time than leave Green on an island at CB. I honestly don't see any scenario where Green would be successful this season at CB. It also almost completely takes him out of the run game which is his greatest strength right now. 

The organization is going to have to accept that the ceiling is extremely low on the defensive side of the ball this year. I'm not willing to sacrifice the development of the few young guys we have for what would be, at best, a marginal improvement to the secondary for this season.

I would be much smarter to put Vontae on the #2 receiver 1 on 1  and have Robinson play the #1 with safety help. I have always thought this was a great idea.     NE does this and it works  very well....   But Pags would rather use a zone slot corner to play press coverage on the outside

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

The guy has  no man coverage abilities...yet. 

This is another hit on Pags not using zone that would utilize the players he has on the roster instead of trying to make them something they aren't.    

Round hole ole square peg 

TJ needs every rep he can get at safety this year, especially if you believe he'll take over for Pops next year starting next to Geathers. Moving him to CB does him no good from a developmental perspective and would probably make things worse for our secondary.

I feel like people are just throwing random crap at the wall at this point thinking it will magically improve a bad defense.

Actually, I'm not throwing random crap at the wall.  You can look up the news article yourself.  Grigson said Green would thrive as a CB if necessary.  So, I guess if Davis, Robinson, and Butler can't go this week.  We should absolutely make no effort to try Green at CB if the other CB's Morris and Melvin get absolutely thrashed, even though we are 4 deep at safety (a good safety group).  Makes sense.  Why try and put in a temporary fix to try and put the best defense out there on the field against the Texans?  Better to concede to a loss than jeopardize his long term development I guess.

7 minutes ago, bigt said:

Actually, I'm not throwing random crap at the wall.  You can look up the news article yourself.  Grigson said Green would thrive as a CB if necessary.  So, I guess if Davis, Robinson, and Butler can't go this week.  We should absolutely make no effort to try Green at CB if the other CB's Morris and Melvin get absolutely thrashed, even though we are 4 deep at safety (a good safety group).  Makes sense.  Why try and put in a temporary fix to try and put the best defense out there on the field against the Texans?  Better to concede to a loss than jeopardize his long term development I guess.

That's a bit of an overreaction. I wasn't calling you out specifically. I was speaking in general about the fanbase and also the organization trying to gimmick their way into a good defense. Putting TJ Green at CB against Hopkins or Fuller is the definition of throwing crap at the wall.

Also, just because Grigson said it doesn't mean it must be true. It hasn't even been 24 hours since Pagano told us this was a good defense. Both those guys will say anything to try and pacify their critics.

Look, I like Green a lot and think he's going to be a vital cog of our defensive future. But what has he shown from the safety position to make anyone think he could survive on an island at CB? The weakest aspect of his game right now is his coverage ability. Now, we are supposed to believe a guy that has not had a single NFL game rep at the position is a legitimate option to cover one of the NFL's more explosive receivers (either Fuller or Hopkins) for an entire game? I'm not buying it regardless of how much Grigson tries to convince us he would thrive. It takes a whole lot more than a good 40 time for a guy to play CB in the NFL. It doesn't matter how bad any of our corners get thrashed, Green would be worse under that kind of pressure.

This is all a moot point anyway as there's almost no chance all 3 of Davis, Robinson, and Butler are out this week. I would wager that it's far more likely all 3 of them play instead.

4 hours ago, bigt said:

Grigson said Green would thrive as a CB if necessary

Ehhh, what he said was they'd be okay playing him at corner in a pinch, if necessary, and they think he has the tools to do it. Grigson also said he'd have a lot to learn about corner technique, and suggested the hope would be that his physical ability would help offset his lack of fundamentals at corner.

After the draft, Pagano was asked about this, and said, in so many words, Green is a safety.

So unless everybody gets hurt during the game, I don't think we'll be seeing Green at corner.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be bringing him on more Safety Blitzes with his 4.3 speed considering we have no Pass Rush, that is just me.

Wait a minute.  You mean it's legal to bring a player other than the Dline or outside LB on a blitz, going after the QB?

After watching the Colts play this year I figured that was against the rules or something since they NEVER do that.  After watching the Colts play D, I figured not only did they have to bring the aforementioned players but they also had to tell the opposing offense who they were sending and where so the O could adjust and not be surprised.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 5:25 AM, zibby43 said:

Saw that too but not going to happen unless there's an emergency.

Green and Geathers are the future at safety.  In the meantime, Mike Adams is a bad man.

Yes, green and geathers are the FUTURE at safety.  In the present Geathers and Adams are the safeties.  So why not put green in at cb instead of the bench now while we have adams.  David green geathers and adams sounds like a solid secondary.  

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM, BCoop said:

TJ needs every rep he can get at safety this year, especially if you believe he'll take over for Pops next year starting next to Geathers. Moving him to CB does him no good from a developmental perspective and would probably make things worse for our secondary.

I feel like people are just throwing random crap at the wall at this point thinking it will magically improve a bad defense.

His reps at cb dont have to take away his s reps.  He can play both.  

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

Yes, green and geathers are the FUTURE at safety.  In the present Geathers and Adams are the safeties.  So why not put green in at cb instead of the bench now while we have adams.  David green geathers and adams sounds like a solid secondary.  

I know that it seems like a great idea in the abstract, but CB and S techniques/responsibilities at the NFL level are vastly different.  Yeah, Green's skill set/athletic abilities translate to the CB position, but he would still have to be mentally prepared to know the full defensive playbook for both positions.  

It's hard to ask a veteran to learn two different positions, let alone a rookie.

That's why you rarely see guys switching back and forth between CB and S anywhere at the NFL level.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Then who would play safety? Green has speed, but I'm not sold on his coverage ability yet. He's missed quite a few tackles as well. 

Butler is always hurt. Geathers is good right now, but has been hurt. If Adams went down, we'd be screwed. 

They should've kept Cromartie. At least he made Robinson look good. 

Melvin is at least serviceable. 

I agree