Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rally5

Blitzkrieg Good???

Our forum is overflowing with complaints about our defense (I agree) and truth is there isn't going to be significant personnel change this year so we have who we have, right? Given that, I'm somewhat surprised we're not blitzing more.  The idea would be, I'd rather get hits on the opposing QB, reduce the amount of time guys need to hold coverage, and if we give up a few more big plays at least the D gets off the field and let's wear their D out for the fourth quarter.  Heck, I think we had more cloak and dagger by our kick off team! :) I know it may sound a little backwards but we have to put hits on the opposing QB, we need a few negative plays per game, and we can't just keep getting carved up like the JV.  It still seems to me that if our LB's can't cover let's send 'em.  Being blitz happy is far from ideal but if we can execute it could mask some of our talent issues.  Example, I like Morrison moving forward and he's a hitter, I don't like Morrison in back peddle or horizontal.  We could also run with three safeties and send the likes of Geathers.  I guess the point is, I'm suggesting we need to get creative and we face a very inexperienced QB next week who's capable of making poor decisions, I'd like to see us force the issue, be aggressive and create some pocket contact.  Time for Monachino to show his wears as a new D Co.  If not this then I'm not sure how anything changes. 

Our speed at LB and tackling in space from CBs and ILB does not serve as a good mix for a blitzing crazed team.  We are way too susceptable to huge gains from RBs or WRs on short routes due to missed tackles or poor overall speed.

I'm pretty sure they're aware of this. I'm with you as I had high hopes for our defense. A pass rush is non existent with our team. Erik Walden is the only player to actually get sacks and apply pressure. I was hoping we'd use Trevor Bates as in ILB'er. He can play pretty well in our scheme if used correctly. An added bonus is the kid has the hands to get INT's. 6'2" and 247. The speed on tape is there. Also Maggit needs more snaps too. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I'm pretty sure they're aware of this. I'm with you as I had high hopes for our defense. A pass rush is non existent with our team. Erik Walden is the only player to actually get sacks and apply pressure. I was hoping we'd use Trevor Bates as in ILB'er. He can play pretty well in our scheme if used correctly. An added bonus is the kid has the hands to get INT's. 6'2" and 247. The speed on tape is there. Also Maggit needs more snaps too. 

I agree.  At this point we should just go all youth.  This team has hit rock bottom defensively at least.  Why not see what we have with the young guys.  I wouldn't activate Art Jones.  No need to.  I would also give way fewer snaps to Mathis and Mike Adams.  Put the young guys out there and play the old guys as rotational subs and see what you got.  Maybe if we get lucky by the end of the season a few of those young guys pan out to be key contributors to a much improved defense.

3 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I agree.  At this point we should just go all youth.  This team has hit rock bottom defensively at least.  Why not see what we have with the young guys.  I wouldn't activate Art Jones.  No need to.  I would also give way fewer snaps to Mathis and Mike Adams.  Put the young guys out there and play the old guys as rotational subs and see what you got.  Maybe if we get lucky by the end of the season a few of those young guys pan out to be key contributors to a much improved defense.

Interesting, why not....at least drive more playing time to the young guys.  I would activate Jones though, he needs to earn some money!  

14 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Our speed at LB and tackling in space from CBs and ILB does not serve as a good mix for a blitzing crazed team.  We are way too susceptable to huge gains from RBs or WRs on short routes due to missed tackles or poor overall speed.

Tackling in space can be an issue, good point, but it seems we're tackling in space either way.  Searching for solutions....not that it's my job or anything.