Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what about special team

edge_eraser

I have read this forum up and down and note the concerns for the different areas on the Colts team. I could not find a single reference to the special team. Am I surprised? Not really. There is nothing glamarous about the position hence it gets over looked but we've had bad special teams for as long as I can remember and it's bitten us in the $$$ a few times.

If the Jets got the ball back inside the 20 on their last possession last year instead of near midfield, I have no doubt the Colts would have won that game and play for the AFC title. I also remember another playoff game a few years back against the Chargers when we started every drive inside our 20 yard line. Obviously we lost the game.

Regardless of how good we are on offence, better field position would make us even better and there are times when our defence could benefit from drives starting deep in opponent's territory.

Hidden

i couldnt agree more with you

there was a thread on this not too long ago and i tried bringing it back up again but i think we signed "the capitol" DC that day n it dropped faster than an onside kick to hank baskett!!

i think we should keep an eye on rb dion lewis with the eagles..he is the next sproles..and im still holding out hope he doesnt make the final 53, since they just signed ronnie brown, and the colts pick him up..not likely tho..but he can cut on a dime with a tiny bit of pop

if that doesnt happen, theres nobody out there in fa that is much better than what we got in house

im also concerned with the amount of quality special teamers that we have on the team to help cover kicks

lmao @ Nicky, I really liked the Hank reference... well played, sir.

In all seriousness, I can see our new thumpers (Jamaal Anderson + Ernie Sims) seeing special team work if Kavell earns the starting spot. I'm not worried about the hit squad; most of our concerns come with return unit. Again, we need to put some of these new signee's on the front line and set a wall. Also, we have a LOT of explosive returners on our UDFA roster at training camp. I expect to see a few huge returns this preseason. Our answer is already on the roster, we'll sort it out! Let's talk next weekend =D Bahaha football is upon us.

"Special teams need to improve"

Are you people nuts?

When was the last time we had a good ST unit? The Clinton Administration?

We don't need to worry about ST because with the new kickoff location we should just be telling McAfee to put it through the back of the endzone or deep enough to make them take a touchback because starting them at the 20 is a safer bet than us stopping them, and it's now almost done easier than said.

ALL teams are going to be starting 75% more drives from the 20 this year... The good thing is, we're used to it. We're ahead of the curve in that regard.

PR/KR... Colts dont pay big for those...

No team should, IMO. with the new kickoff location, KR's are going to be WAY down and guys like Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs are going to be getting paid big money (that eats up big salary cap) to stand there and watch the ball sail over their head, or to catch it to take a knee in the end zone to keep from getting tackled at the 15 or sooner.

Then when their teams put them in on offense or defense, they're unreliable at best.

Returners aren't worth big money unless they're good for a TD per game, which is pretty much scientifically possible.

true. maybe pr then

So long as it's not Powers out there, let whoever wants to have a shot have one. I've always had issues with letting starters be KR/PR.

I just want someone who isn't going to lose the ball. I don't care if we never get a return of any kind, we're used to starting a drive 14 miles from a TD... Just don't cough it back up.

I agree Special team will need to improve for the 2011 season for the Colts to have a chance

We don't need to improve it, if we don't improve it it doesn't mean that we don't have a chance... We've gone to 2 SBs. winning one with a bad special teams. It would be nice to upgrade it, but it's hard to find a real good returner these days.

I agree Special team will need to improve for the 2011 season for the Colts to have a chance

We don't need to improve it, if we don't improve it it doesn't mean that we don't have a chance... We've gone to 2 SBs. winning one with bad special teams. It would be nice to upgrade it, but it's hard to find a real good returner these days.

So long as it's not Powers out there, let whoever wants to have a shot have one. I've always had issues with letting starters be KR/PR.

I just want someone who isn't going to lose the ball. I don't care if we never get a return of any kind, we're used to starting a drive 14 miles from a TD... Just don't cough it back up.

i agree on all accounts. that's the same thing i thought about kick returns last year. they should have just ran into the endzone & kneeled down. no reason to risk a fumble. looks like i'll get my wish this season

:whiteflag:

I honestly think the NFL is trying to neuter ST, especially KR which is why the kickoff spot was moved. These plays seem to produce the most injuries, and big hits, and with the anti-concussion stance society has taken in the last two years The last thing the NFL needs is another injury like the one Kevin Everett suffered a few years back, or someone to come out with a report stating that kickoffs lead to the most injuries.

PR aren't so bad. It's only a couple guys running down field at full speed to tackle a guy, but KR everyone is running full speed and the potential for injuries is just greatly increased...

With much better health across the board this year (keep fingers crossed), augmented by better depth due to FA signings and the draft, coupled with ST rule changes that favor the Colts / hurt the KO return game ... and the special teams should be significantly better this year, all other things being equal.

Hopefully coaching and scheme will also improve so that the STs will no longer be a liability. This is a key area that must be improved to bring home the championship, but it might just take care of itself, really, due to the above factors I cited.

ST started to improve last year when Taj Smith came into the picture. If I remember correctly I read he isn't practicing at the moment due to a (hopefully) minor injury but I'd like to see what he can do if we continue to use him.